What's new

Capcom on Turning Down Mortal Kombat Collaboration: "SF Character in MK is not a Good Fit"

Raider

Noob
Capcom has confirmed that there were talks about potentially doing some kind of crossover between its Street Fighter franchise and NetherRealm Studios’ Mortal Kombat games. But the Japanese company made a collective decision to turn down the opportunity.

In a new interview with Capcom producer Yoshinori Ono and Eurogamer, the longtime Street Fighter producer shared the details behind how collaboration between Street Fighter and Mortal Kombat failed to materialize.

“It’s true that a proposal for a Street Fighter character in Mortal Kombat was rejected by Capcom,” Ono says. “But it wasn’t me personally!”

Instead Ono said that there “were many people at [Capcom] that felt that it wasn’t a good fit for our characters.” When pressed for details, Ono said that a “major concern” for Capcom was that the two franchises simply didn’t mix.

More:
https://www.ign.com/articles/2019/11/06/street-fighter-5-producer-reveals-why-capcom-turned-down-a-mortal-kombat-collaboration
https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2019-11-06-what-does-the-future-hold-for-street-fighter-5

Metin

Ermac & Smoke Main
Yeah, leave mortal kombat alone, i have respect to many other fighting games but if you are a logical person you could understand why this idea is not fit to those two different universe.

On hand, I'd love to see Vega in MK11. On the other, MK has always been kinda unique in that it's never had characters from another fighting game cross over (unless you count Spawn being in Soulcalibur, but he's a comic character).

xenogorgeous

.... they mostly come at night. Mostly.
thank god for that ! despite this old crossover ideia, being known as an old request by some part of mk fanbase, SF is much more "family friend" and morality lore wise than the gore, violent, raw and gritty nature of MK universe, and this association of both games could hurt MK franchise much more than DC universe did with that abomination called MK vs DC .... :confused:

I respect a lot Street Fighter as its being and keeping inside of it own franchise, and we owe a lot this series, as being the great piooner of the fighting games ..... but never try to mix them with MK, will never work, and I think majority of true MK fans could not stand seeing a new mk game totally toned down regarding violent level, because SF cannot allow its lovely characters to be ripped in pieces, so, good to MK that the deal was not signed off ;)

Saboteur-6

Filthy Casual
Thematically you could make it work without question. These are fictional characters in a fighting game and while art styles would look different depending on which company took development, you could definitely make it work. I think if you read between the lines the two big barriers are:

1. There's not really a reason financially for Capcom to try a MK cross game and they're protective of their market and realize it appeals more to a western audience.

2. Capcom probably isn't comfortable with their iconic characters getting dismembered similar to how DC/Warner Bros is with their characters.

haketh

Noob
Honestly I just don't see how that could work. Both franchises use two completely different animation styles.
Honestly that's part of the fun, seeing what you do to make things fit. It'd be neat to see MK characters done in a traditional 2D style.

Certain villains or monster characters could work. I think Blanka would fit perfectly in mk. I don’t think putting an mk character in a sf gane would cause any problems though. Worked well in injustice.