What's new

Question Can smoke players win tournaments?

G4S KT

Gaming4Satan Founder
I've been doing some thinking, and I feel like I'm more concerned with bringing Smoke to his maximum potential rather than just performing well in tournaments. CD Jr has taken characters to the next level and I want to try and accomplish that with Smoke.

Hitoshura

Head Cage
I've been doing some thinking, and I feel like I'm more concerned with bringing Smoke to his maximum potential rather than just performing well in tournaments. CD Jr has taken characters to the next level and I want to try and accomplish that with Smoke.
come to vsm and talk to cd jr b/c the best and I mean THE BEST smoke i ever played was his.

Shady

Noob
come to vsm and talk to cd jr b/c the best and I mean THE BEST smoke i ever played was his.
That guy is just a straight up genius when it comes to this game, I actually can't wait to see if I can make it to VSM that one Thursday in October just to talk to the likes of him....

MKF30

Fujin and Ermac for MK 11
Sure, I think Smoke can win I think potentially almost any character can win(not saying all but a lot in this game) when used at full potential can win. Smoke to my knowledge has won one, first week in Penn I think by Shock if I'm not mistaken. I forget the tourney.

G4S KT

Gaming4Satan Founder
lol, I don't doubt it. I would venture a guess that any character he plays is the best that anyone else will play.

It's beat that vsm is on Thursdays... What's the best way to get there from manhattan?

Hitoshura

Head Cage
lol, I don't doubt it. I would venture a guess that any character he plays is the best that anyone else will play.

It's beat that vsm is on Thursdays... What's the best way to get there from manhattan?
tbh idk i think penn station to lynbrook or even valley stream. check mta website.

Where exactly in Manhattan are you? I'm going to try my damn best to make it out to VSM this Thursday and I wouldn't mind giving you a ride there. But again, depends on what part of Manhattan you are in.

a lot of people saying cdjr winning with different characters but the truth is, the guy is picking characters with undiscovered potential and jax wasnt low tier from the beginning. not to discredit him but, its not like hes winning with baraka.

what i dont see a lot of smoke players do is

- ending d3 12 after the 1, people respect the 2 that comes after it so they wont do anything and if they do you can mix them up by doing the whole string.
- anti air teleport on jump in cross punches(on reaction)
- smoke towards against cage( cages strings are all frame advantage, but let jc players think you will block the string while you smoke behind him, 90% of the time he is still doing his string which is guaranteed smoke bomb hit)
- smoke towards with with sweep(use d1 anti air in case they jump over you) as follow up, mix it up with b2,3. and if they are really good with fuzzy guard try grabbing.

Just what i do with smoke and havent seen others doing, sweep has to be taken in consideration with smokes mixup game, he has a fast one and I really think people should start using more normals that are character specifically good, like JC's uppercut or mileenas d4

BTW you can build meter with him by jumping backwards and doing air grab, do it the moment when he almost lands, this way the animation wont come out fully and he will still build meter.

G4S KT

Gaming4Satan Founder
drifting towards/through someone isn't a good idea unless you've put them on the defensive by doing it mid string or something. you can be hit of it extremely easily and trying to drift through JC as he's doing a string is straight up suicide. Unless you're talking about EX drift (which has a tiny bit of vulnerability right on start up but is otherwise invincible) but that's really situational, I like to save meter for EX shake.

ending 3d12 early and attempting throw or d3 or something is a good mix up, but you don't have advantage and the cooldown of 3d1 is deceptively long, so it's easy to mistime a follow up, allowing them to escape.

AA teleports are good, but they have to be instant air. if you do them on the ground, you will still be hit by a jumping punch if the TP whiffs.