What's new

Question Can smoke players win tournaments?

Offline, teleport is almost punishable on reaction. Even online I can uppercut it fairly consistently. I just make sure that when I do uppercut, I spam 1 and 2 over and over in case I'm late and he goes for a grab attempt, that way I escape the throw :p nooby but it works

G4S KT

Gaming4Satan Founder
Thanks for the support and votes of confidence guys!

Top tier Reptiles (specifically teef and Chris G) still poop on me. It's the only situation (amongst the whole cast played at top level) that I feel like Im at a big disadvantage.

They can't use projectile pressure (even using slow force ball and dashing in front of it risks a shake of the FB) so there is exponentially more dashing than in other matches and it really fucks with you.

hardwire

Noob
Thanks for the support and votes of confidence guys!

Top tier Reptiles (specifically teef and Chris G) still poop on me. It's the only situation (amongst the whole cast played at top level) that I feel like Im at a big disadvantage.

They can't use projectile pressure (even using slow force ball and dashing in front of it risks a shake of the FB) so there is exponentially more dashing than in other matches and it really fucks with you.

man i know how ya feel dash has been the bain of my existance sence reptile was discovered

keep up the good work and let us know if you find any reliable dash punish that will make them think twice about using it.

Wildabeast

The Bat in the Hat
Well one.. Raiden is a bad match up. Between two equally good players Raidens teleport is really just that good. I swear to god i think it freezes time for a frame man i just can put my fingure on it. But he cant Shake superman and teleport whiffs The best thing to do against raiden is to bait superman and even then he could just teleport grab you or pull out some mix up

Raiden and reptile are smokes worst matchups
Raiden is at frame advantage after his teleport if you are blocking, if you are not blocking you are at frame advantage. And to be honest its not that surprising Aris switched to Cage, hes been talking Cage up a lot whenever hes been doing commentary lately.

Thanks man. I hope to do well with Smoke at NEC. Anyone else taking him to an upcoming tournament? I'd love to see some high level gameplay from him. Also I found a few things I like to use now. D4 into b2 is awesome. His d3 is great after smoke awaying right next to someone. Also d3 into grab has been working for me. Instead of whiff teleporting after a combo ending in jk airthrow, invisibility catches people off guard alot. Wake up smoke towards to scare the opponent waiting to punish wake up teleport. And finally can someone test if you can end his 112 string in smoke away or towards? I know 112 smoke bomb catches people off guard but this would catch people very offguard.

redeyes

Button Masher
Thanks man. I hope to do well with Smoke at NEC. Anyone else taking him to an upcoming tournament? I'd love to see some high level gameplay from him. Also I found a few things I like to use now. D4 into b2 is awesome. His d3 is great after smoke awaying right next to someone. Also d3 into grab has been working for me. Instead of whiff teleporting after a combo ending in jk airthrow, invisibility catches people off guard alot. Wake up smoke towards to scare the opponent waiting to punish wake up teleport. And finally can someone test if you can end his 112 string in smoke away or towards? I know 112 smoke bomb catches people off guard but this would catch people very offguard.
]

are you really going to NEC?

arydious

Noob
Really? That sucks.

So what, I'm the only person left who is bringing Smoke to tournaments? Check was telling me about how there wasn't a single Smoke player at Summer Jam...
KT, Im planning on entering the tournament scene really hard soon, ill bring smoke. I have been playing about 4-5 hours a day trying to learn and master things I have read on here. I have been quite successful where I live so far.

Smokes good its just that hes not an easy mode character, becoming good with him requires a lot of patience.
The only thing easy about smoke is 3D12, but it still require timing my friends complain so I tell them you get on and try and they fail, smoke definitely is not easy to master.

Well one.. Raiden is a bad match up. Between two equally good players Raidens teleport is really just that good. I swear to god i think it freezes time for a frame man i just can put my fingure on it. But he cant Shake superman and teleport whiffs The best thing to do against raiden is to bait superman and even then he could just teleport grab you or pull out some mix up

Raiden and reptile are smokes worst matchups
I learned by playing my friend, who is a very good raiden that just learning the player and baiting the hell out of them can go a long way. I consistently lost to raiden for months, now I don’t think I have lost to a single raiden player in 2 weeks. Reptile I am not to familiar with, im trying to Alt reptile just so I can understand the match up better.

Offline, teleport is almost punishable on reaction. Even online I can uppercut it fairly consistently. I just make sure that when I do uppercut, I spam 1 and 2 over and over in case I'm late and he goes for a grab attempt, that way I escape the throw :p nooby but it works
Offline the teleport is easy to block on reaction this is why you never do it in a predictable manner. It is also so fast you can bait the people with it all the time. Jump back and they try to jump for you….Bam telepunch to the FACE. So yes its easy to block and very punishable if you are dumb with it. If you ingrained the teleport into muscle memory, GET IT OUT, or stop playing smoke because that seems to be the biggest downfall with most smoke players.

Niflheim

Noob
No idea why Smoke hasn't won a tournament yet. He has some of the best Dial-a-combos in the game, and I find 3,d+1,2 to be the best in the game. He also can counter all projectiles and has a very fast teleport. he's one of my alts. Don't know why he hasn't won a tournament.

I sort of resent the idea that smoke has easy dial-a-combos. No disrespect, but please attempt to get jip 3d12 njp b23 bomb combo down consistently. It's super hard, I have no idea how KT does it so well. Smoke is extremely timing and altitude based in his *good* BnB combos. sure 3d12 3d12 3d12 jk air throw is easy, but I'd hardly call it a dial. If you want real dial-a-combos, look at ermac and sub. You dont even have to *try* to land their combos, they only have like a single point where you could maybe sometimes drop it. With smoke's you can drop at any point due to incorrect spacing/altitude, assuming you're using either of his 42% midscreens...

arydious

Noob
true but once you land jip 3D12 NJP, it gets real easy, the only time i drop it is when the game lags online.

Idk. I had trouble with the b23. I just do the other 42% combo, I think it's infinitely easier to do, although its nowhere near as flashy :(

G4S KT

Gaming4Satan Founder
Idk. I had trouble with the b23. I just do the other 42% combo, I think it's infinitely easier to do, although its nowhere near as flashy :(
If you want to be extra super flashy you can do:

(jip) > 3d12 > NJP > whiffed teleport (need to buffer it immediately out of njp) > b23 > smoke bomb > 3d12 > jk/at

it's useful for when you want to change the direction the combo carries. Gotta put em in that corner.

Yea, the timing of the njp is pretty tight. Im just really used to it I guess. It's actually tight enough that on button check I always try 3d12 > njp to make adjustments for the natural latency associated with that particular setup.

LOL is it bad that I've considered combos that do less damage but have a really high launch just so I can teabag a couple times before continuing the combo? I mean i'd happily lose 3% to put my opponent on tilt ;)

arydious

Noob
Frothy have you tried the piano method to hitting the NJP, basically after the 3d12 you jump and slide your finger from 1-2. This trick is what gave me the high success i have now. The only hard part after that was timing the jump perfectly to learn the timing what i di was hold up as soon as the combo was entered. Then as soon as i saw smoke jump into the air i pianoed 12. After awhile i got to the point where i didnt have to hold up because i knew the timing of the 12. It honestly only took me about 2 hours to get it down pack.

I would also say it is EASIER to stay with the safe combos but you need to take risk to be truly great. I went about a solid week straight of nothing but losses when i decided to switch from Ermac and go full time smoke. Everyone else i played fully knew thier characters, but i insisted on getting my ass handed to me just so i could conquer and overcome them. Guess what, now they are all still looking for mains to beat my smoke. Matter of fact one of my good friends who wanted to participate in tourneys with me told me today that he hated this game and didnt want to play it anymore after i double flawless his scorpian.

Haven't heard of that, although honestly I probably won't be giving it a try any time soon. The njp b23 combo does the same damage as 3d12 32 4 bomb and that second one I find immensely easier to do, so I'll just be sticking with it :)

If I ever become actually good at this game/Smoke, maybe i'll learn the other one so I can do the njp telepunch b23 combo just to be a dick ;)

As far as I know Aris played smoke at evo, but he does frequently pick secondary charters like kano and Cage for some match ups.

arydious

Noob
Haven't heard of that, although honestly I probably won't be giving it a try any time soon. The njp b23 combo does the same damage as 3d12 32 4 bomb and that second one I find immensely easier to do, so I'll just be sticking with it :)

If I ever become actually good at this game/Smoke, maybe i'll learn the other one so I can do the njp telepunch b23 combo just to be a dick ;)
You just ahve to choose to be good, practice practice practice. Also its a good idea to learn even the impractical combos just to know things to change it up with. You dont want someone getting used to your play-style otherwise Good game

I think a lot of whether any character is good enough has to do with the draw. For instance if you are forced to go through 4-5 good JCs then your chances of winning as Smoke are not that great since the match up is so tough. But if you only have to go through 1 JC on the way to winning then your chances get much better.

hardwire

Noob
No idea why Smoke hasn't won a tournament yet. He has some of the best Dial-a-combos in the game, and I find 3,d+1,2 to be the best in the game. He also can counter all projectiles and has a very fast teleport. he's one of my alts. Don't know why he hasn't won a tournament.
plane and simple

he is ballenced in a world of unballence

and my belife is becuase he has no low starters so any one with copetency will not be fooled by him

GamerBlake90

Blue Blurs for Life!
It is very possible for Smoke to claim victory in a tournament.

I should know, I won my first tournament with him, LOL.

People thought Smoke couldn't be effective once his infamous OTG Smoke Bomb glitch was patched over, but I and many others have proved that assumption wrong. Any character can be solid if the player knows what they are doing with the tools given to them, and also if they knowledge of the match-up they find themselves in.

arydious

Noob
KY I have also signed up for motral monday, currently I am a nobody on the forums but hopefully ill change that soon.
Blake thanks for the boost! Smoke is very capable