What's new

Question Can smoke players win tournaments?

G4S KT

Gaming4Satan Founder
KY I have also signed up for motral monday
Word.

As much as I hate myself for it, I've started playing online again to prepare for mortal Monday. It's not easy training for online and offline events simultaneously...

Anyway, if you (or anyone else) is/are interested in getting some online matches against me, add me on psn.

I might be logged on with a guest; my room mate plays a mean quan chi and csz and we sometimes play together. What this means is that he will be the main profile and I will actually be the guest; guests cant choose the unlockable or dlc characters.

Just fyi

KT. when are the tourneys that you're playing in? Imma leave the stream up while I study and wait till I hear your name get announced to play haha. I really want to see some higher level smoke play, it's nonexistant right now outside that one match of you vs. check(??? the scorpion) :\

G4S KT

Gaming4Satan Founder
This Friday is SBV. Gonna try and make smoke proud.

Also that match was against Check4900, the combo king. He's legendary.

I also watched it again the other day and was surprised by how shitty I was. I feel like I'm much better now.

Hehe, well I'm new to the fighting game community so I don't know anything about the guy except he plays one of the best Scorpions in mk9 right now. Good luck Friday :)

I think smoke has the tools to win tournaments. His shake will shut down any zoning characters so characters with good rushdown give Smoke a threat but smoke has good rushdown too and not to mention his smoke cloud can combo from anywhere on screen.

Love smoke but i think he should have armor/super armor on his EX smoke away/Smoke towards.

Tw1sted

Noob
man i really hate the idea of armor buffs, but i guess since they've already done it with everyone else they might as well do it smoke. now every single character in the game will have a armor move to save their asses with.

G4S KT

Gaming4Satan Founder
Ok, so here's the breakdown.

First fight was against SAR Aphex and it was on stream, so you should be able to see it when they put up the stream archive. Unfortunately, this was the only match I played on stream. He played Liu Kang and it was a victory for me, so I guess you can see how I handle heavy rushdown.

Second fight was against the VSM player Hitsoshura. He played noob saibot which is a horrific match up for against Smoke. It was a victory for me. I normally run the train on noob saibots because of this. I basically put him in the corner and locked him there for both matches.

One cool thing that happened was that at one point he threw a clone which I blocked, then I shook to bait out either a teleport or EX clone. He chose EX clone and I dash cancelled and jumped getting him to waste meter.

Third fight was against Citizen Snips, a nasty Reptile. I still have problems with Reptile. He spent the beginning of the match checking me with spit and FBs. I shook every one, and out came the dashes.

I actually handled this match really well and only lost because of my own fucking stupidity: I pulled an Aris. They were close games, but he took the first match and in the second match it came down to the third round. I had maybe 5% He had slightly less than half health. I caught him with a jump in punch and did a full combo and a successful f+4 reset bomb. Here's where the stupidity happened.

If I had just let him drop out of the reset bomb or done air throw, I would have won. But instead I tried to continue into a 3d12 and he broke it. He had just a pinch of health left and I thought for sure that EX TP would be enough to chip. It wasn't. His health bar appeared to be completely empty but he wasn't dead. He uppercutted me and that was that.

Fourth fight was against CD Jr.

Yea, not much to say about this. I have almost no Jax experience and it's CD fucking Jr; IMO the best player in the world right now, who used to main Smoke, so he knew all my tricks. Long story short I got bodied. It was depressing.

Ironically CD Jr and I were talking at the beginning of the night and I was telling him that the only two characters I was still scared of were Reptile and Jax... lmao

In all honesty, I'm becoming less optimistic about Smoke's tournament viability as the life of MK progresses. I'm seeing many other characters evolve and become more powerful but Smoke remains the same. He lacks versatility which is a very serious problem.

The more I think about it, the more I see how he really needed the original OTG (naked jump kick to smoke bomb) to compete against top players using top characters.

Smokes my main, and I think he has the tools to win. The key is to control the air, know when to smoke bomb, shake, smoke dash and 50/50 them. B2+3 smoke bomb is amazing. And like everyone has said, he doesn't have any low links, but hid D1 poke is amazing for that.

Shady

Noob
Just going off the topic title, I think yes, a Smoke player can win a tournament, but I am also bat shit crazy for thinking that with enough work and dedication a Stryker player can make noise too. Look at REO, he said that (if he wasn't trolling) Mileena will never do good in a major, and he placed second at Evo. No one gave Jax credit (granted, we got the armor patch) but CD Jr. reps him like no other and just wan Salty Battles yesterday. I think when people get into tier list mentality it really limits their game to the point where they go: "well, I really like this character, but I don't think I can win with him so I'll just go to Kung Lao", instead of taking their time to learn the match ups so on and so forth. People cry about Kung Lao, but it has been proven over and over that he is beatable, with an array of characters too.

I think that it is not that far of a stretch to assume a Smoke player can win a tournament, but once again, it will be someone who understands the character and who was dedicated to him as his "main" in preparation for that tournament without flip flopping. I'm not saying it's bad to play other characters if you want to succeed as your main, but I'm saying that it's probably a good idea to play as your mains in preparation for a tourney.

G4S KT

Gaming4Satan Founder
Apparently there are a butt load of other casual matches with me on them right when the stream started up so you can probably see more of me playing if you check the beginning of the stream archives.

Disclaimer: at one right at the beginning I was playing against Sabin (kenshi) and the block button on my controller broke. So, there were a couple wack matches but I'm not sure they're on the stream archive.

Hitoshura

Head Cage
Ok, so here's the breakdown.
Second fight was against the VSM player Hitsoshura. He played noob saibot which is a horrific match up for against Smoke. It was a victory for me. I normally run the train on noob saibots because of this. I basically put him in the corner and locked him there for both matches.

One cool thing that happened was that at one point he threw a clone which I blocked, then I shook to bait out either a teleport or EX clone. He chose EX clone and I dash cancelled and jumped getting him to waste meter.
lol u didnt have me in the corner at all game 2 bro. If i recall i almost won tht match XD also u didn't run me over like a train either all r matches were rlly close except one round when i guessed wrong and I dai'd D:. Also u spelt my name wrong :3 good smoke though. i always get nervous when fighting smoke. ggs

oh this i forgot to add b4 so ima say now. smoke can def win a tournament but u gotta be so on point its headache educing

G4S KT

Gaming4Satan Founder
lol u didnt have me in the corner at all game 2 bro. If i recall i almost won tht match XD also u didn't run me over like a train either all r matches were rlly close except one round when i guessed wrong and I dai'd D:. Also u spelt my name wrong :3 good smoke though. i always get nervous when fighting smoke. ggs

oh this i forgot to add b4 so ima say now. smoke can def win a tournament but u gotta be so on point its headache educing
I didn't mean to imply that you were a bad player or anything, so if you took it like that or/it came off that way I apologize.

Hitoshura

Head Cage
I didn't mean to imply that you were a bad player or anything, so if you took it like that or/it came off that way I apologize.
nah bro its cool i knw u didnt mean it like tht. i read it and was like aww i didnt do tht bad did it XD def like to play u again hopegully at sb or nec...also bring ur mtg deck like to play u in tht to lol

CitizenSnips

A seldom used crab named Lucky. AKA Citizen Snips.
Third fight was against Citizen Snips, a nasty Reptile. I still have problems with Reptile. He spent the beginning of the match checking me with spit and FBs. I shook every one, and out came the dashes.

I actually handled this match really well and only lost because of my own fucking stupidity: I pulled an Aris. They were close games, but he took the first match and in the second match it came down to the third round. I had maybe 5% He had slightly less than half health. I caught him with a jump in punch and did a full combo and a successful f+4 reset bomb. Here's where the stupidity happened.

If I had just let him drop out of the reset bomb or done air throw, I would have won. But instead I tried to continue into a 3d12 and he broke it. He had just a pinch of health left and I thought for sure that EX TP would be enough to chip. It wasn't. His health bar appeared to be completely empty but he wasn't dead. He uppercutted me and that was that.
GGs. All I can say is that you are a very good Smoke but I feel like I won because I have a lot of experience against good Smokes (all online practice... but some is better than none). I kept trying to forceball you because a lot of times I'm able to catch up to the forceball before you can Shake it. For whatever reason my timing was just off so I had to abandon that whole tactice. Very good games and actually that third round that was really close had I lost I would have raged hard because idk if you remember but I did a 321 Xray string while you were blocking because I wanted to end the match in style lol. Smoke actually gives me a tough time, he's a good character but people seemed to just have dropped him for whatever reason.

kandehbar

The Gryphon
Yeh reptile is a bitch to fight and since were probably gonna lose the F4 reset it will always be an uphill for smoke. TBH reptile is smokes harders matchup

KT. Why exactly do you prefer the 3d12 > njp > b23 bomb combo over 3d12 > 32 > 4 bomb combo? Just used to it maybe? Because I feel like the same damage combo you see me preaching everywhere is better in the sense that it's not as easy to drop, and when you do it's later on in the combo so you're at least hitting around 30% damage...

Also that pokestring into b23 combo was sick, I LOL'd when I watched it actually work.

Oh, and finally a question. How much disadvantage does smoke's sweep put you at on block?

G4S KT

Gaming4Satan Founder
KT. Why exactly do you prefer the 3d12 > njp > b23 bomb combo over 3d12 > 32 > 4 bomb combo? I feel like it's way easier to drop the first, and even if you drop the second you're getting more plain 'ol damage before you drop it. Instaed of getting 17% or whatever the plain 3d12 is. you can get about 30% hitting the 3d12 32 4 even if you mistime the 4 and don't link the smoke bomb. I feel like that would help your game tremendously, but maybe i'm out of line in suggesting it at all.

Also that pokestring into b23 combo was sick, I LOL'd when I watched it happen.

Oh, and finally a question. How much disadvantage does smoke's sweep put you at on block?
Honestly the only real reasons I still do it are because of combo loyalty and the fact that I really like njps in combos. I've been doing that combo since the original OTG removal was still just a rumor. I know the execution is much tighter. I swear I never drop it on TV's I'm used to but the monitors at LB have a slight lag that is just enough to fuck it up. I know that sounds like an excuse but it's true. Plus it looks cooler lol.

as far as sweep's disadvantage on block, it's probably really slight. I've never thought to check it because no one has ever blocked and followed up with something before I recovered.

Hmm. It just makes me wonder since I want to squeeze every little bit of juice out of smoke I can. It's supposed to be one of the fastest in the game, and I feel like I and most other smoke players don't utilize it nearly as much as we should.

Fearing between the fastest sweep in the game and the fastest (?) overhead in the is an extremely powerful 50/50, I think... if only I were able to play right now I could just go do it myself and see how it works T______T

also lol at me rewording my entire question at the same time as you answering it