What's new

Cage sweep into combo

Cat

This guy looks kind of tuff...
It can be done in any stance. Tested it. You just gotta be god like as myself. Lol

John Grizzly

The axe that clears the forest
It's just a option. Just say they block your jump punch. Then a sweep will follow. If they then start expecting a low sweep after a jump punch then you can throw in the f4 overhead. Get it? It's not like you can hit confirm the jump punch.
I didn't realize you were talking about a blocked jump in punch. My bad. I don't think hit confirming a jump in punch is toooo hard, though. Either way, I see what you're saying.

There are slight problems with how practical it really is. As conditions are right now, you have to be in the same stance. You have to remember that not only can you change your stance, but so can the other person. If you can't nut punch midscreen, then 16% does sort of feel like you're letting them off with all the frame traps you have (as much as I dislike that).

In the opposite stance, you can't really land anything other than your fastest attacks. It's an awesome find. Feels like an ace in the hole sort of gimmick. Lets say they do remove this, what would they have to change anyway? More delay on his sweep?(I don't know lol) Adding 7+ extra frame delay on a sweep on hit? Or change all the characters falling animation? Seems like a lot of work.

What is easy to do with both stances is that you can consistently sweep and d+3 without practice. I know d+3 brings them back up and leaves you at frame advantage if it hits(?). I just think everyone is overreacting for now. If it's such a big deal then they'll remove it.
I agree that it has limitations, as it should. But it's not "Horrible" lol.

Cat

This guy looks kind of tuff...
I was doing against reptile. But I doubt that matters. It's just striker timing. Most of the time I get resets with the low jab but have gotten the combo in a few times. Whenever we both have the same stance I get the combo in 8 times out of 10. I practiced it a lot. Lol I look for when the opponents feet are mid air idk it's weird but trust me. Mashing the low jab will not work. Lol

I don't understand, why are people coming away with this just seeing the sweep to uppercut? You can do more than just that I just wanted to mention it because it was possible. Do you not care about sweep, d+1, nut punch in the corner? do you not care about sweep f+3 to keep you standing? 16% midscreen with little fear of punish?

I'm so confused.

It's handy, but it's nothing new. Not horrible, but one of the worst options. The sweep into nut cracker, ok, but the other options are so limited. It either gives them space or chance for a wake-up attack. Reptile's ex dash will f*ck you up on get-up. I used the sweep to uppercut combo before, but only to finish them off.
It's +1 on block so recovery is godlike, perhaps it has potential if you could work it out for real damage, but nothing that's really solid in-game. It's good for some extra damage, but if it won't finish them off or put them in crucial state, don't do it.

It's handy, but it's nothing new. Not horrible, but one of the worst options. The sweep into nut cracker, ok, but the other options are so limited. It either gives them space or chance for a wake-up attack. Reptile's ex dash will f*ck you up on get-up. I used the sweep to uppercut combo before, but only to finish them off.
It's +1 on block so recovery is godlike, perhaps it has potential if you could work it out for real damage, but nothing that's really solid in-game. It's good for some extra damage, but if it won't finish them off or put them in crucial state, don't do it.
Again, I agree that it's situational, but it adds another thing the opponent has to worry about blocking with Cage. If they start fearing the low, then maybe they'll start going to crouch block, which is always good because it takes frames to get up from crouch block (Confirm?). It also lowers your hitbox so if you have a move you want to read, like say Raiden Tele~throw then you can punish that for more than just the uppercut.

I may be wrong, but I feel the fact that it opens up even more options for Cage is where the worth really is in this, not the direct damage or anything.

I was doing against reptile. But I doubt that matters. It's just striker timing. Most of the time I get resets with the low jab but have gotten the combo in a few times. Whenever we both have the same stance I get the combo in 8 times out of 10. I practiced it a lot. Lol I look for when the opponents feet are mid air idk it's weird but trust me. Mashing the low jab will not work. Lol
Yeah, my ratio for same stances are the same. Still, I've never been able to do it on opposite stances. Am I doing something wrong? Or is it the distance? Even if this is one frame, this is a bit ridiculous lol.

Jay9k

Noob
So as I said in the video, I have no idea if this has been found before but i did a search and didn't find anything on it.

So basically Cage's sweep is so fast on the recovery that you can link in a jab after it and after the jab you can do stuff like flip kick, EX flip kick, horizontal kick, and in the corner only you may link in a regular and EX nut punch.

If this stays this is going to make Cage an absolute beast. Everybody knows that cage lacks good lows that do damage, and for a good reason, but now with this sweep he can create a good low game that actually generates good damage. What's also important about this is that following a sweep if it's blocked, the opponent cannot interrupt a d+1(From STBL show, correct me if I'm wrong) so even if this is blocked and you go ahead with the d+1~flip kick, you cannot be interrupted and, as we all know, not all characters can punish a Cage flip kick.

The fact that this improves his corner game by adding a low which ends in nut punch is kind of insane. I'm not sure if you would be able to react to a sweep after mutliple 2 1 pressures (threaten overhead but go into a low, lol), but if you catch them with that it's good damage and will keep them standing for you to continue pressure.

Also, this works from a max range sweep, not just a point blank one.

Update:

-The timing is strict, but after a sweep hits you can do a f+3 and the opponent will block it, BUT it will stand him back up (!!!!). This is significant because even if it is blocked, a f+3 still can't be interrupted after a sweep. So you can fearlessly sweep, f+3 AND have that frame advantage that the f+3 gives you after it.

-After a sweep you can uppercut the opponent for 18% damage with no meter, this gives 2% more damage than sweep, d+1, flip kick. NOTE: I'm just saying this (uppercut) is possible, I personally would never use this.

Here's the video...

If somebody could test this thoroughly on the PS3 with the new patch that would be fantastic
looks crazy i had done this by accident thought it was a glitch

hardwire

Noob
ya know as a smoke player i really really wanna call nerf on this lol we dont get otg smoke bomb i cant see that this was supposed to happen either :\

I believe this was already known? and can be found here. Under corner presure.

http://testyourmight.com/forum/showthread.php?2678-GUIDE-Johnny-Cage
"Corner Pressure:
in the corner after blocking f+4 or b+4 sweep Cage has advantage and you cannot interrupt a shadow flip kick or f+3. you can jump out of the f+3 but not the shadow flip kick. heres the best part, when the opponent blocks the f+3 follow up, Cage still has advantage and the shadow flip kick cant be interrupted or jumped. the only way to interrupt this is if your character has one of the fastest specials in the game."

He's talking about when the opponent blocks the sweep. I'm talking about comboing off of it when it hits. Not to mention, it can be done midscreen.

xTHUGx

Noob
"Corner Pressure:
in the corner after blocking f+4 or b+4 sweep Cage has advantage and you cannot interrupt a shadow flip kick or f+3. you can jump out of the f+3 but not the shadow flip kick. heres the best part, when the opponent blocks the f+3 follow up, Cage still has advantage and the shadow flip kick cant be interrupted or jumped. the only way to interrupt this is if your character has one of the fastest specials in the game."

He's talking about when the opponent blocks the sweep. I'm talking about comboing off of it when it hits. Not to mention, it can be done midscreen.
Yes sir, I misread it a few minutes after, but didn't even bother to edit my post.

evansgambit

Guardian of Outworld
Cause that's part of his character strength. The frame advantage on block allows him to rush. All other aspects of his game, zoning, high-low mixup, teleport are weak. He can't do much damage to a high blocking opponent.

I wouldn't consider a +1 frame advantage on block for a move that takes 22 frames to hit, too powerful. You need to be 1 frame spot on to take advantage of it, I think. But its there.

sLeeK

Noob
Anyone know if this is patched? Just picked up cage so I'm a little late to the party so to speak :\

I noticed that he could combo off of his sweep when my friend was mashing 4 and random directions with him. he did a combo that went: F4, Sweep, 4-4. He didn't think the 4-4 would hit, so he didn't cancel into anything. It still opens up a lot of options, though.