What's new

Cage sweep into combo

evansgambit

Guardian of Outworld
Is this Cage's "Just Frames" combo. If so, I may have to wipe out the arcade stick for this one. Just when I was getting used to pad. to

Yay, Cage's stock just went up. Time to practice this.

this is very old actually.

LOL.. you guys think cage taking 18% and letting me WAY out of a corner is broken? THANK YOU FOR LETTING ME OUT WHILE TAKING MINIMAL DAMAGE!!

This is an interesting mechanic and I hope it stays. It isn't anything game-breaking and really deepens the meta-game. Someone that can combo off of a sweep!

LOL.. you guys think cage taking 18% and letting me WAY out of a corner is broken? THANK YOU FOR LETTING ME OUT WHILE TAKING MINIMAL DAMAGE!!
Well the uppercut is just one of the things :confused: didn't think it was practical but just wanted to note it. Any reason we haven't seen Cages using this stuff in tournies?

Zebster

How's my volume?

Hey man, can you blame them? Anything out of the ordinary is considered too good :p

JennyCage

t('.'t)

A sweep is a reliable low mixup. Many characters without low strings use sweeps as a low mixup. Maybe it's not viable in the corner but it's sure as hell viable midscreen, and certainly an advantage no other character has (that we know of?). Far as I knew, Johnny wasn't supposed to have a comboable low. Combine this with armor on ex shadow kick and all of Johnny's weaknesses have been eliminated.

^ Exactly. I can def see a lot of options open up from having a low starter option.

And I think I'd rather get my feet wet a local first, since I don't own the game and my only fighting game expierence is MvC3 friendlies and Smash. Lol.

After some thorough testing, linking a crouching 1 after the sweep seems to be stance-specific. When Johnny Cage's stance was opposite of the other character, I couldn't connect the combo, but when his stance was the same, I was always able to. It my also apply to the uppercut, I am not sure because the timing on combing a sweep into an uppercut is so tight. Though I've only been able to do it also when Johnny's stance was the same as the other character. I tried this against both Kung Lao and Sub-Zero. Can anyone confirm?

After some thorough testing, linking a crouching 1 after the sweep seems to be stance-specific. When Johnny Cage's stance was opposite of the other character, I couldn't connect the combo, but when his stance was the same, I was always able to. It my also apply to the uppercut, I am not sure because the timing on combing a sweep into an uppercut is so tight. Though I've only been able to do it also when Johnny's stance was the same as the other character. I tried this against both Kung Lao and Sub-Zero. Can anyone confirm?
Hmm interesting. I'm glad that there's an extra level of awareness that you need to make this work. Added to OP.

Zebster

How's my volume?
Too tired to check at the moment, but to whoever does check it, make sure to test it on the ninja girls because of their smaller hurtboxes.

Too tired to check at the moment, but to whoever does check it, make sure to test it on the ninja girls because of their smaller hurtboxes.
My God, I know what it is!(lol just wanted to say that). The characters fall faster if tripped in front than when swept from behind. Their falling animation is slower from the back sweep. So if you sweep them from the same stance, you'll sweep them from behind and create a slower fall for easier/possible links.

Edit: This also means Johnny's ideal stance is for him to face the screen since nut punch causes the other characters to do the same! (bsing out of my mouth xP)

Double Edit: Nevermind... It's just that you want to be in the same stance as the other character. I keep thinking that nut punch makes them face towards the screen. I'm very disappointed now.

ETC AdmiralAugustus

Grabble Frazzled
Just tried it on PS3 with update. You gotta space yourself a bit, but it works. Pretty cool, but I don't see the practicality.

Edit: Hi-lo uppercut, could be pretty decent, if used correctly.

For me, this really means 2 things. All my sweeps will now make opponents stand if I ever use them and...

Johnny Cage Fun:
Angled j.:bp, :r+:bk, dash, :l+:bk(sweep), :bp, dash, :fp:fp, dash, :r+:fk:bp xx :l:r+:bk(shadow kick) 36%

Sweep in combos for flash.

Edit: Above combo has to be done in opposite stance in Johnny's :r+:bk makes him flip stances.

Cat

This guy looks kind of tuff...
Tested with new patch. Works. Also idk if you guys know that a jump in punch actually combos into sweep. Then into low jab to the flash kick. So you can jump in punch for a overhead then sweep for low and then combos. Lol too good
Also if you do a down 3 it can reset them to stand up and block the good thing is they can't do a wake up move!!! Or you can sweep and do forward 3 and he will crossover to the other side for a good mindfuck lol or get out the corner.

Tested with new patch. Works. Also idk if you guys know that a jump in punch actually combos into sweep. Then into low jab to the flash kick. So you can jump in punch for a overhead then sweep for low and then combos. Lol too good
Also if you do a down 3 it can reset them to stand up and block the good thing is they can't do a wake up move!!! Or you can sweep and do forward 3 and he will crossover to the other side for a good mindfuck lol or get out the corner.
f+3 will put you on the other side? I was doing it and it would just keep him standing.(Which is still awesome)

hardwire

Noob
Yeah this with the recent buff to EX kick is going to break him i think. Cage for God tier.

edit: Also, I'm kind of curious if this was what Tom was talking about when he said on the STBL show that "If you knew the things I knew about cage you'd be crying for nerfs" or something like that. Definitely seems worthy to me lol.
i think ive seen some of the things tom was talking about and yes i do want nerfs

lets just say this i played a cage that kept smoke from geting out of the corner ever

i could not jump i could not shake i could not teleport i could not smoke away all i could do was sit there and block as my life drained (till i got a breaker but he put me right back in the corner and started all over again)

Cat

f+3 will put you on the other side? I was doing it and it would just keep him standing.(Which is still awesome)
Oh yeah it happens if you press f,f3 don't dash just like move a lil and you will crossover if you do just f3 they will stand

God this is horrible... first of all, cage is a beast upclose, doing this sweep to uppercut will give them space, and get them out if the corner, just horrible to do.. Please implent to into your game Cage players, gives me an easier time vs cage's. I believe Brady has stuff that can make people consider cage broken, found some dumb stuff myself today with cage..

John Grizzly

The axe that clears the forest
If you connect with a jump in punch, why would you go for a sweep into combo? Wouldn't you just do something more reliable, easy and damaging? This doesn't seem all that game-breaking to me, to be honest. Nice find though, OP.

God this is horrible... first of all, cage is a beast upclose, doing this sweep to uppercut will give them space, and get them out if the corner, just horrible to do.. Please implent to into your game Cage players, gives me an easier time vs cage's. I believe Brady has stuff that can make people consider cage broken, found some dumb stuff myself today with cage..
I don't understand, why are people coming away with this just seeing the sweep to uppercut? You can do more than just that I just wanted to mention it because it was possible. Do you not care about sweep, d+1, nut punch in the corner? do you not care about sweep f+3 to keep you standing? 16% midscreen with little fear of punish?

I'm so confused.

Cat

If you connect with a jump in punch, why would you go for a sweep into combo? Wouldn't you just do something more reliable, easy and damaging? This doesn't seem all that game-breaking to me, to be honest. Nice find though, OP.
It's just a option. Just say they block your jump punch. Then a sweep will follow. If they then start expecting a low sweep after a jump punch then you can throw in the f4 overhead. Get it? It's not like you can hit confirm the jump punch.

I don't understand, why are people coming away with this just seeing the sweep to uppercut? You can do more than just that I just wanted to mention it because it was possible. Do you not care about sweep, d+1, nut punch in the corner? do you not care about sweep f+3 to keep you standing? 16% midscreen with little fear of punish?

I'm so confused.
There are slight problems with how practical it really is. As conditions are right now, you have to be in the same stance. You have to remember that not only can you change your stance, but so can the other person. If you can't nut punch midscreen, then 16% does sort of feel like you're letting them off with all the frame traps you have (as much as I dislike that).

In the opposite stance, you can't really land anything other than your fastest attacks. It's an awesome find. Feels like an ace in the hole sort of gimmick. Lets say they do remove this, what would they have to change anyway? More delay on his sweep?(I don't know lol) Adding 7+ extra frame delay on a sweep on hit? Or change all the characters falling animation? Seems like a lot of work.

What is easy to do with both stances is that you can consistently sweep and d+3 without practice. I know d+3 brings them back up and leaves you at frame advantage if it hits(?). I just think everyone is overreacting for now. If it's such a big deal then they'll remove it.