What's new

Match-Up Discussion - Goro Buffs Goro needs so he doesn't lose to the whole cast

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mortal Komhat

Worst Well-Established Goro Player Ever
Chiming in on the Cassie thing.

b12 xx Flipkick - No gap
b124 - SG gets beaten by 4, must use EX SG for armor
b12 nj - Forces SG to whiff
b12 xx Nutpunch - Must armor through and 1/10 EX Nutpunch hit anyway.

Essentially, she busts out that string, block it all or armor.

Also, anything she can cancel into flipkick is safe from any command grab retaliation before you ask anything more about the matchup.

Mortal Komhat

Sorry but I can't let that one stand as is.

The Goro issue could be 2 things.

1. Goro players aren't typically top tier players themselves as it is.
I'd turn that statement around.

Why is it that nobody who's considered a top player in this game plays the character regularly? (FK busted him out in one match across his recent tournament history. ONE MATCH.)

For you it might be character loyalty, but that doesn't explain the rest of them. Simplest explanation is : he's ass and anyone who has any aspiration at winning and winning consistently will not waste time with a character that's ass.

Bear in mind, I don't say this lightly. I love the character. I really do. However, like Shazam in Injustice, like Dee Jay in SF4, like Makoto in BBCP (dunno about Extend), he is fundamentally ass. You could give him all the buffs ever, and it wouldn't change a damn thing because the game works against him. You'd have to fundamentally redesign the character for him to be good, and if that were to happen would he be the same character we actually like to play?

That doesn't mean no one will ever win a major with solo Goro - Digit won with Shazam, KitasenjuDJ won a Topanga qualifier with Dee Jay and I don't follow anime enough to say Makoto did anything of note.

That being said, there's nothing more fun with Goro than fucking EX PWing through a Tanya tonfa rekka string like you don't give a fuck. Matchup is 9-1 (10-0 if the Goro isn't as trash as I am) Goro because she can't handle the 4 arms swag walk.

Last edited:

infamy23

FireBeard
So King got hit by Shinnok's 18 frame overhead about 50 times in a FT10.

Goro's overhead is also 18 frames. But you know, any high level player will block that on reaction 100% of the time, of course.

And it's -2 on block, so pretty risky.

Rude

You will serve me in The Netherrealm

Goro's overhead is also 18 frames. But you know, any high level player will block that on reaction 100% of the time, of course.

I have always said TYM drastically exaggerates reaction times.

To the point where when I talk about the game to my offline training partners I'll ask, "Do you mean TYM-Reactable or Reactable?"

Mortal Komhat

When did kitasenjuDJ win topanga with Dee Jay? LOL you shouldn't post bullshit when Street Fighter veterans are watching
I fucked up it was a qualifier. I'll edit. But let's be real that's still a fucking feat considering how garbage the character is.

If you mean 3d3 I'd argue that Shinnok gets that in 1 input rather than 2. Also, Shinnok's has more distance.

That's the thing though - you can break down Goro and think "oh yeah he has all these great tools!" and he does :

- PW/EX PW/PW MB are amazing in their own right, PW for meter building on block (you surrender offense but you do build decently. I was mistaken before), EX PW blows up anything that has a gap, PW MB allows for easy conversions that go for 33% + off a single hit.

- d1, d3, d4, f3, 11 (included 'cause the second 1 is lightning fast, mid and reaches far) are great pokes in their own right, with d4 being chief to Goro gameplay due to d4 xx PW or d4 xx Flame.

- f4 is a great overhead that allows for combos in the corner, doubly so if you're in DF because of EX Spin and we've recently found that it may also match d2 combo damage when including it in corner combos. (for those of you who aren't aware, d2 combos are among the highest currently possible damage with Goro)

- u1/u2 are amazing anti-airs that nobody see coming as they were garbage before the patch (only used vs. cross-ups due to the 14 frame startup)

- EX Stomp is another amazing anti-air that'll stuff anything u1/u2 doesn't and leave you at +8 (though at an undesirable distance)

- 8 frame command grab - some people's JABS don't come out this fast (looking at you Tremor... and technically Goro but he has the d1/d3 to poke)

- 3d3 is a relatively fast overhead that leads to fairly large damage in the corner, with a situation that resets into itself.

So you've got all of this, and yet the character is still bottom 5? Yep. All of these individual tools are great, but they're not broken. And broken is the name of MKX's game.

Last edited:

infamy23

FireBeard
So you've got all of this, and yet the character is still bottom 5? Yep. All of these individual tools are great, but they're not broken. And broken is the name of MKX's game.
So there's 24 broken characters?

Is Raiden one of them?

I would trade a lot of what Raiden has to offer for the stuff you just described. Especially Goro's safe high/low/grab mix-up.

Jason and Goro need help. I've been playing some Goro and i found that anti air is what he lacks the most. u2 is an excellent anti crossup tool tho, i've got yet to find the best conversion from an airborne u2 hit (maybe nj 2 -> b12u2 -> 4 -> grab)

Mortal Komhat

Jason and Goro need help. I've been playing some Goro and i found that anti air is what he lacks the most. u2 is an excellent anti crossup tool tho, i've got yet to find the best conversion from an airborne u2 hit (maybe nj 2 -> b12u2 -> 4 -> grab)
combo thread has your answer.

Status
Not open for further replies.