What's new

Born On a Monday -- Solomon Grundy General Discussion/QA/Combo Thread

NRF CharlieMurphy

Kindergarten Meta
AFter going through everything
the only two true buffs Grundy will need

WCC input to be DD

Cleaver to have the hitbox cover his head. (no crossing this up)

Those two things would not be OP. They would simply give him an option when dealing with constant jumping opponents.

Jeffreys

Grundy think you handsome!
AFter going through everything
the only two true buffs Grundy will need

WCC input to be DD

Cleaver to have the hitbox cover his head. (no crossing this up)

Those two things would not be OP. They would simply give him an option when dealing with constant jumping opponents.
I dont think its possible for NRS to change the input for wcc, honestly I don't even think wcc was even interntional- we probably lucked out in that regard.

NRF CharlieMurphy

Kindergarten Meta
I dont think its possible for NRS to change the input for wcc, honestly I don't even think wcc was even interntional- we probably lucked out in that regard.
That makes zero sense

It clearly was intentional.

I'm tired of inputting it and someone crossing me up and the inputs just not working.

fr stack

Noob's saibot or noob saibot's?
its in the moves list that you can cancel it =intentional
i got called a hacker for cancelling my walking corpse :rolleyes:

FigJ

Noob
I'm tired of inputting it and someone crossing me up and the inputs just not working.
For some reason I can do it over and over again in practice, but when it comes to playing actual people, I can rarely get the cancel to work. It pisses me off because it's such an easy motion.

I heavily agree with the poster who said they should buff his cleaver move so it hits over his head. I rarely use the cleaver unless I want to change up my 112, MB startup if they keep blocking the swamp hands. That or on wakeups when the opponent doesn't use them lol.

MetalPete

MACHKAAAAA!!!!!
11 WC hits on block or hit , it can be jumped but u have to be expecting it and everyone expects 112 MBwhatever so they can b3 or jump
also 112 WCC d2 4 ...... 112 WCC d13 <these dont combo but in the middle of a fight are hard to react to
112 WCC MBf3

I can't make this sound less dick-ish and I'm sorry, but I already knew that. Except the cancel into F3; that sounds bad-ass and I've never tried it.

NRF CharlieMurphy

Kindergarten Meta
has anyone found/searched for moves that cause the quickstand animation?

Basically causing the opponent to stand so quickly that wakeup attacks don't really work.

RadicalFuzz

Aspiring Fighter
What do you mean by cause the quickstand animation? Is it like the Green Lantern setup where you dash after MB Lantern's Might and the opponent has to block a b1 or f3?

Gruff757

The Gruff
btw dunno if you guys were aware of this, but Grundy can be grabbed out of the 112 MB Cleaver blockstring. Be wary.

happened to me during TotFC4

fr stack

Noob's saibot or noob saibot's?
btw dunno if you guys were aware of this, but Grundy can be grabbed out of the 112 MB Cleaver blockstring. Be wary.

happened to me during TotFC4
it pisses me off dat the mb version comes out slower it should be at least the same start up as regular :(

CommonNick

Europe, PSN: "CommonNick"
Few questions:
#In which situations do you Cancel WC
#Grundy is slow, rush down seems the most effective method to beat Grundy, what should I do to keep my opponent at ~starting match~ distance?
#How should I do after D1? (if it's blocked 4 whiffs, I need something safe)
#D2 vs AA grab?

An answer for even 1 of them will be appreciated

RadicalFuzz

Aspiring Fighter
1 - When you think they're going to take an action that would beat your WC, whether that's a late B/F3, jumping, etc. My preferred option after cancelling a WC is D2. If they jumped, then it catches them. If they stayed on the ground and blocked, then I'm punishable but they'll have to react quickly to the situation and punish. Another WC immediately afterwards in case they're late on the punish tends to dissuade them from trying to punish D2 even though it's pretty minus on block.
2 - IMO Grundy deals fine with rush down, or at least ground-oriented rush down. To attack Grundy on the ground is risky, because there's a possibility that he'll WC, armor through your entire string, and then punish for ~54% for 1 bar and get the trait buff of his choice. Lots of strings have a small gap in between hits (like Lantern's b1->2/3 followup) that you can MB Trait, MB B/F3 (if you have perfect timing you can do this in between 1-frame gaps but it's pretty tricky), or Walking Corpse through so it's hard to pressure a Grundy that's aware of the gaps in strings.
3 - If you cancel into Trait off a blocked D1 it grabs them, so I'm confused by your first statement. The only safe thing after D1 is MB Cleaver, but as Gruff pointed out above you can be grabbed out of it, so technically the only safe option is to just block after D1. If your D1 hits, then I generally go for another D1 cancelled into Trait to catch them blocking. Next time I cancel MB Cleaver or WCC to catch them jumping out of the previous setup. After you hit them with one each it's just reads.
4 - D2 leads to more reward (about 45% for 1 bar IIRC) and is great for hitting opponents that are trying to cross you up. Crap horizontal range, takes some time to actually hit above & behind him (8 frames is only to the first active frame in front of him, to stop crossups is closer to 11/12 frames), and is relatively slow to start up compared to the grab though, so use with caution. AA grab only gets you ~12% and oki but has a better hitbox and psuedo-invincibility, making it a safer option.

NRF CharlieMurphy

Kindergarten Meta
Few questions:
#In which situations do you Cancel WC
#Grundy is slow, rush down seems the most effective method to beat Grundy, what should I do to keep my opponent at ~starting match~ distance?
#How should I do after D1? (if it's blocked 4 whiffs, I need something safe)
#D2 vs AA grab?

An answer for even 1 of them will be appreciated
I can link you to matches between myself and a very good Nightwing if you want to see.

I can't really explain why I do most of the stuff I do. Most of it is on a feeling or a read. WC lets you basically negate every frame trap in the game.

CommonNick

Thanks for the informative answer RadicalFuzz!
I can link you to matches between myself and a very good Nightwing if you want to see.

I can't really explain why I do most of the stuff I do. Most of it is on a feeling or a read. WC lets you basically negate every frame trap in the game.
You can? sure.
I prefer Youtube over twitch.

CommonNick

There are other vids in that thread with other players.
You never use F3 and 2 which look really useful (and F1 rarlely), you almost never jump attack, you don't cancel blocked strings into grab(4) and the power chain only gave you trouble.
WCC on NW's shurikens when he jumped.
DB1 actually looks useful in your hands - gotta start using it.
B2 as a diversion! nice :)
D3 out of nowhere, I don't like this attack, if you find it useful, can you tell me what you see in it?
Great gameplay, learned a lot.

NRF CharlieMurphy

Kindergarten Meta
you almost never jump attack, you don't cancel blocked strings into grab(4) and the power chain only gave you trouble.

D3 out of nowhere, I don't like this attack, if you find it useful, can you tell me what you see in it?
Most of the stuff I do are because i've played chance since launch... and he knows ways around such things. You can actually simply b3 the tick throw. So If I do 112~4 he can just b3 the grab for a full combo. So basically I was baiting his b3 and waiting to whiff punish.

I use d3 because it covers the same distance as his standing 2, but is an actual low. I was basically trying to sneak some damage in is all.

RYX

BIG PUSHER
Would Grundy players rather have speed, setups, or damage

Does Grundy have the coolest b.3 in the game?

Is Boss Grundy best Grundy?