What's new

Boon tweeting about Rain again!

JTC

ABILITY TO FREEZE
It's gonna be funny when Rain is in the game. lol
It would but he wont be in this game. I've already made my peace. This is the same stunt Ed Boon pulled when MKX was coming into fruition.

Just curious what the draw is towards rain?
I'm not going to speak for others but personally for me:
  • Ability to control lightning and water
  • Most badass roundhouse kick EVER
  • Narcissistic asshole
  • Purple Rain is a cool song
  • He's a ninja
  • He's a ninja
  • He's a ninja
THE GAME NEEDS MORE NINJAS!

Last edited:

pure.Wasted

'ello baby, did you miss me?
And yet his place in the universe has been the same in every game. He is there to be Sonya Blades rival. That's what it ultimately always boils down to. And let's be honest here, Sonya Blade on her own isn't as well liked as Mileena or even Kitana is. So Sonya can't even really carry Kano.
Bruh, check the likability thread.

If anyone's doing the carrying in this particular relationship right now, it's Kano putting Sonya on his back. Not the other way around.

So Kano has had many games and many appearances in the stories, yet he hasn't progressed at all.
What do you mean by "hasn't progressed"?

In terms of personality, the jump he made from MK9 to MKX and MK11 is arguably the biggest jump of any MKT character. He went from bland Saturday morning cartoon villain in MK9 to vicious, brutal, menacing scumbag in MKX and 11.

In terms of impact within the MK universe, whereas he was basically all alone in MK9, we saw him leading the Black Dragon in the MKX comics (Erron, Tasia, Jarek, and Tremor) and we'll see him leading them again in MK11 (Erron, Kabal, maybe others?) from his own stage.

In terms of story importance, in MKX he fucked up Raiden's protective wards and stole Shinnok's amulet, he gave the amulet to Mileena and attempted to help her stage a coup against Kotal, and he left a trap behind which fucked up Raiden, leaving him vulnerable to attack by Shinnok later. And he was the one who told Sonya where Cassie and D'Vorah could find Mileena which led to D'Vorah getting the amulet.

And in the comics, he's the reason Kotal Kahn still has an empire (the Black Dragon basically saved the day against the Shokan rebellion), and he's the one who gave Sub-Zero his scar.

I honestly don't know how you can look at all this and think he hasn't progressed.

There is a lot to be explored, when it comes to Rain. Yet NRS puts time and money into Sonyas bad guy.
There's so much more to explore with Kano, they've barely begun to scratch the surface!

His new rivalry with Sub-Zero. His rivalry with Kabal (who has led the BD in the past). His rivalry with the Red Dragon. His on-again-off-again partnership with Kotal Kahn. Shit, he has the potential to be one of the most exciting characters in the franchise, by virtue of how many people he's personally fucked over, and the fact that he's clever and resourceful enough to keep getting away with it and finding new allies to work with.

Krankk

Smoke & Noob & Rain
If anyone's doing the carrying in this particular relationship right now, it's Kano putting Sonya on his back. Not the other way around.
Turns out Sonya Blade is a bland character, just like Kano.

What do you mean by "hasn't progressed"?
Kano has never left his status quo. Where on the other hand you have characters like Scorpion, Sub-Zero, Raiden, Liu Kang, Kitana, even Johnny Cage and Jax Briggs... They all went through some character development, which lasted. They might return to their status quo sooner or later, but at least the NRS explored something new with them. Kano on the other hand? He is Sonya Blades bad guy. Always was and always will be.

In terms of personality, the jump he made from MK9 to MKX and MK11 is arguably the biggest jump of any MKT character. He went from bland Saturday morning cartoon villain in MK9 to vicious, brutal, menacing scumbag in MKX and 11.
That's not character development. That's not even a selling point.

In terms of impact within the MK universe, whereas he was basically all alone in MK9, we saw him leading the Black Dragon in the MKX comics (Erron, Tasia, Jarek, and Tremor) and we'll see him leading them again in MK11 (Erron, Kabal, maybe others?) from his own stage.
No one cares about the comics. No one cares about the Black Dragon.
None of these two aspects (where Kano was bland as well) make Kano a good character with a great position in the Mortal Kombat universe. I'll write few things about Rain in a bit, but basically... It's IMPOSSIBLE to put more focus on Kano out of nowhere and have that actually feel meaningful, impactful and legit. Kano's position in the lore just doesn't matter to anyone, who is of any importance.

I'll skip the rest of your arguments, since I don't disagree with any of them. I'm not saying that Kano is a bad character. He is certainly better than your Sonya Blades and Cassie Cringes and Jacqui Briggses in my eyes. But I still don't think that he comes even close to someone like our lord and savior Lord Rain:

Rain is a criminally underutilized character in the Mortal Kombat lore, even though there is just sooo much potential and intrigue behind him as a character.
Let's compare Rain to characters like Reptile and Kenshi, who are very well liked. Both Reptile and Kenshi have their things going on for them, but these things are very personal to them and fairly small in scale, when compared to the bigger picture. Reptile is constantly an underling, who searches for survivors of his race. Kenshi wants to avenge his dead wife and be a good father.

But Rain on the other hand?

1. Rain is the bastard son of a god, which makes him a demi-god and gives him far more power, than he was allowed to showcase so far in the games. He has lost to characters he shouldn't have lost for the sake of the plot (an annoying and on-going theme in NRS stories).
Rains powers (lightning, storms, rain and water, teleportation and enhanced healing) should make him a believable threat - especially when compared to more grounded characters like Kano. When Kano wins a fight he shouldn't have won, you blame NRS for being bad at writing power levels. When Rain wins, you just accept it, because he is a demi-god, who is as versatile as Raiden.

2. Rain is a narcissist, who is obsessed with power. He views himself as better than the rest. He wants to rule the rest. And that rest happens to be an entire realm called Edenia, which would affect Kitana, her future husbando Liu Kang, Sindel if she returns under a new status quo and pretty much the rest of the realm as well - since we know, that Rain wouldn't stop there. Rain would try to gain control over other realms as well. So what Rain wants and would do, would affect all the realms. There aren't many characters you can say the same about.

3. Rain has two half-brothers, who are more deserving of the throne than he is. Rain doesn't care about his family, so he wouldn't shy away from backstabbing them to death in order to get the throne. So you have some good drama right there.
On top of that even when Rain works for someone else, he is always planing ahead and trying to think of all the possibilities how he could get the most out of it. He had his own agendas and goals, when he was working for Shao Kahn and he had his own agendas and goals, when he was helping Mileena. Everything Rain does, he does it for Rain.

4. Rain is manipulative AF and always tries to get others to do what's best for him. We could see that, when he was pushing Mileenas buttons and trying to use her to get rid of Kotal Kahn for him.

5. He is a god damn ninja and everyone loves ninja characters in Mortal Kombat. On top of that he is the only ninja in MK (and in fiction?) with tons of bling bling and swagger. He beats you up and he looks good while doing so. Kano on the other hand has piss stains on his pants.

I legit don't understand how anyone can dislike Rain. To me that character is fascinating. You have this obsessively narcissistic character, who believes that he is a god and deserves to be worshipped. He wants more and more control and power, even if it's not rightfully his. He is still like: "§$%& your rules and traditions and §$%& you too. I AM RAIN! I want what is rightfully mine and if you don't give it to me, I'm going to drown you in your sleep!"

pure.Wasted

'ello baby, did you miss me?
Kano has never left his status quo. Where on the other hand you have characters like Scorpion, Sub-Zero, Raiden, Liu Kang, Kitana, even Johnny Cage and Jax Briggs... They all went through some character development, which lasted. They might return to their status quo sooner or later, but at least the NRS explored something new with them. Kano on the other hand? He is Sonya Blades bad guy. Always was and always will be. That's not character development. That's not even a selling point.
I never said he got lasting character development. Since when does every villain need to go through lasting character development? Since when is that how we define a good villain from a bad one, by how much character development they've gone through? Joker certainly didn't get that memo.

No one cares about the comics.
I mean, apart from all the people who read the comics and loved them, and apart from NRS who read the comics and loved them so much that they hired the comics' writer to be the second most important writer on MK11...?

No one cares about the Black Dragon.
And your solution for "no one cares about one of the most important factions in the MK universe, which shares its symbol with the FRANCHISE ITSELF" is to give up on the character who's capable of changing that...?

None of these two aspects (where Kano was bland as well) make Kano a good character with a great position in the Mortal Kombat universe. I'll write few things about Rain in a bit, but basically... It's IMPOSSIBLE to put more focus on Kano out of nowhere and have that actually feel meaningful, impactful and legit. Kano's position in the lore just doesn't matter to anyone, who is of any importance.
Kano defeated Raiden in MKX.

Kano is responsible for franchise posterboy Sub-Zero's iconic facial scar.

You need to accept that these are facts, and Kano will keep doing things that are "meaningful, impactful and legit" because NRS's vision for MK includes Kano permanently in it, with a steadily growing role.

I legit don't understand how anyone can dislike Rain. To me that character is fascinating. You have this obsessively narcissistic character, who believes that he is a god and deserves to be worshipped. He wants more and more control and power, even if it's not rightfully his. He is still like: "§$%& your rules and traditions and §$%& you too. I AM RAIN! I want what is rightfully mine and if you don't give it to me, I'm going to drown you in your sleep!"
Au contraire, not only am I not saying that Rain isn't interesting... I'll say the opposite. Rain has the potential to be an exciting character. I see it and agree with it. My comments here were not aimed at bringing Rain down whatsoever. Only at pointing out that you're not giving Kano his due whatsoever.

Reactions: Zev

Slade

Make It Rain
It would but he wont be in this game. I've already made my peace. This is the same stunt Ed Boon pulled when MKX was coming into fruition.

I'm not going to speak for others but personally for me:
  • Ability to control lightning and water
  • Most badass roundhouse kick EVER
  • Narcissistic asshole
  • Purple Rain is a cool song
  • He's a ninja
  • He's a ninja
  • He's a ninja
THE GAME NEEDS MORE NINJAS!
I agree. I'm not expecting him to be in the game. If he is, I'll be pleasantly surprised. Rain has always been sort of a wild card, with his involvement in the sibiling rivalry between Taven & Daegon. There's a lot of potential for his story, but I've always just wondered what exactly Rain's goal is. Does he wanna rule Outworld? Does he wanna create a new Edenia that he is emperor of?

I love both Kano and Rain. Kano is a badass survivor and Rain is an arrogant demi God. Rain's cool because he provides an Edenian villain and his royal heritage plus God status making him so narcissistic and arrogant makes for a really awesome character imo. And yeah, he's a ninja with cool abilities.

That said, people will never learn, the more Boon trolls/tweets about a character the LESS likely they will be in the game. Its cruel but its what Boon does. Rain might be DLC later on down the line and I think that Boon line about not repeating DLC is bogus because there never seems to be a source for it. Not to mention if he did say it that was like 8 years ago. All that said, I do still hold out hope Rain is a secret unlockable and i kinda hate myself for it.

Chuckyscookie

Here's to hoping.
Oh boy, Rain fans don't have it easy these days. I know he's probably fed up by the horde on twitter, but after the MKX npc disaster and the thing with the menu pic, he could really give us a break :(

MR.EVL

I am you
Rain... I don't understand why people are obsessed with this water cooler, bubble shooting kharacter. I wish they add him to MK11 so people will stop asking for him. AMEN
:DOGE

Quantus

Rain for MK12 Kombat Pack 3
How do people not understand the appeal of rain?

It's the roundhouse kick. Have you guys not seen it?

Also, yeah, rain is a side side characters that we'll see pop up occasionally as DLC. No reason to get crushed when he doesn't show up.

errormacro7

Official Sonya simp
Turns out Sonya Blade is a bland character, just like Kano.

Kano has never left his status quo. Where on the other hand you have characters like Scorpion, Sub-Zero, Raiden, Liu Kang, Kitana, even Johnny Cage and Jax Briggs... They all went through some character development, which lasted. They might return to their status quo sooner or later, but at least the NRS explored something new with them. Kano on the other hand? He is Sonya Blades bad guy. Always was and always will be.

That's not character development. That's not even a selling point.

No one cares about the comics. No one cares about the Black Dragon.

I'll skip the rest of your arguments, since I don't disagree with any of them. I'm not saying that Kano is a bad character. He is certainly better than your Sonya Blades and Cassie Cringes and Jacqui Briggses in my eyes. But I still don't think that he comes even close to someone like our lord and savior Lord Rain:

Rain is a criminally underutilized character in the Mortal Kombat lore, even though there is just sooo much potential and intrigue behind him as a character.
Let's compare Rain to characters like Reptile and Kenshi, who are very well liked. Both Reptile and Kenshi have their things going on for them, but these things are very personal to them and fairly small in scale, when compared to the bigger picture. Reptile is constantly an underling, who searches for survivors of his race. Kenshi wants to avenge his dead wife and be a good father.

But Rain on the other hand?

1. Rain is the bastard son of a god, which makes him a demi-god and gives him far more power, than he was allowed to showcase so far in the games. He has lost to characters he shouldn't have lost for the sake of the plot (an annoying and on-going theme in NRS stories).
Rains powers (lightning, storms, rain and water, teleportation and enhanced healing) should make him a believable threat - especially when compared to more grounded characters like Kano. When Kano wins a fight he shouldn't have won, you blame NRS for being bad at writing power levels. When Rain wins, you just accept it, because he is a demi-god, who is as versatile as Raiden.

2. Rain is a narcissist, who is obsessed with power. He views himself as better than the rest. He wants to rule the rest. And that rest happens to be an entire realm called Edenia, which would affect Kitana, her future husbando Liu Kang, Sindel if she returns under a new status quo and pretty much the rest of the realm as well - since we know, that Rain wouldn't stop there. Rain would try to gain control over other realms as well. So what Rain wants and would do, would affect all the realms. There aren't many characters you can say the same about.

3. Rain has two half-brothers, who are more deserving of the throne than he is. Rain doesn't care about his family, so he wouldn't shy away from backstabbing them to death in order to get the throne. So you have some good drama right there.
On top of that even when Rain works for someone else, he is always planing ahead and trying to think of all the possibilities how he could get the most out of it. He had his own agendas and goals, when he was working for Shao Kahn and he had his own agendas and goals, when he was helping Mileena. Everything Rain does, he does it for Rain.

4. Rain is manipulative AF and always tries to get others to do what's best for him. We could see that, when he was pushing Mileenas buttons and trying to use her to get rid of Kotal Kahn for him.

5. He is a god damn ninja and everyone loves ninja characters in Mortal Kombat. On top of that he is the only ninja in MK (and in fiction?) with tons of bling bling and swagger. He beats you up and he looks good while doing so. Kano on the other hand has piss stains on his pants.

This post deserves a thousand likes <3

Pizza

Thrill Kill
I like Rain. He needs to shine.

I hope some day we get a story somehow centered on Edenia; so Rain, Jade, Tanya, Kitana and Argus can be the focus for once. Plus add Taven (to be executed) and Daegon if you want.