What's new

Question - Kung Jin Bojutsu vs. Shaolin: which is the better variation for high level play (and why?)

TackyHaddock

Salty Mashers Krew
mobility is also a major distinguishing factor for shaolin. I use upkick pretty often as a repositioning tool to get to the other side of the opponent and reset the neutral (no shaolin drop, just upkick alone as a poor man's teleport). It is great if you are starting to get moved towards the corner, etc. Every time I switch to Bojutsu or Ancestral these days, I find their mobility to be so much weaker overall, thus making them less viable against characters like Lao and Takeda who have great mobility.

I would say that for match ups against characters who are pressure heavy IE DVorah swarm queen, DF Liu Kang, A List Johnny, High tech Jaqui etc or characters with stupid plus frames Boj is better because you get more bang for you buck when you armor and your opponent is going to press buttons all the time. Against characters with really good zoning, mobility use Shaolin and in very specific situations against characters like BRC or Leather face you can use ancestral for better zoning and higher meterless damage.

TL DR: There's no reason not to learn every variation.

D7X

EMPEROR | D7X
Also why pick Kung Jin up when you got A-list? lol
KJ is one of my pocket mains. This post is old for me. I some how improved so much in the past like 20 days or so, I couldn't do A-List's cancels ONCE in 2 hours from the time this was posted

RM NoBrows

Supah hawt fiyah
shaolin is Kung jin's best variation. His space control is outrageous with chakram and low chakram, shaolin lunge covers almost the entire screen and the drop is +, so that leaves for mind games on if you'll do it or not. This variation is his most meter reliant too. And ex chakram/low chakram has a incredibly dumb hurt box where you can be behind king Jin and still get hit by it.

Gofer_MK_

Banned
I don't want to be that guy, but next time you have a question about a specific character you can ask in the general character thread in each individual forum.

dennycascade

UPR_ghastem
So Shaolin's dropkick is -7 if you make it a true blockstring from the up kick, but if you delay and leave a gap it will be plus? How plus can you make it?

Dankster Morgan

It is better this way
lol then you don't know the MU.
Yeah, 6-4 sub
Klone deals with his best normals, he doesn't just get rid of it the same way D'Vorah and Mileena can. His fireballs practically scream to be slid under. He has eclipse kick as a safe way to armor through Klone but it's a high and costs a bar. Tell me what I'm missing. @C88 Zombieekiler you play both of these characters so what's up with the Grandmaster vs A-List MU?

WakeUp DP

GT MK OshTekk.
Yeah, 6-4 sub
Klone deals with his best normals, he doesn't just get rid of it the same way D'Vorah and Mileena can. His fireballs practically scream to be slid under. He has eclipse kick as a safe way to armor through Klone but it's a high and costs a bar. Tell me what I'm missing. @C88 Zombieekiler you play both of these characters so what's up with the Grandmaster vs A-List MU?
Haha cute.

Dankster Morgan

It is better this way
Haha cute.
I'm well aware that A-List is one of the top characters, but he does have losing matchups. So anyways thanks for telling me how I have no clue how a matchup works, when I ask for an explaination on why you think something is the way it is, once again I'm the idiot. I have no problem being proved wrong, the more I can learn, the better. So please do it since I'm clearly missing something.