What's new

Blue Beetle General Discussion Thread

Anyone else in here having trouble going against bane and Harley? I get wrecked almost every time against them. Swamp thing is also bad
Not sure about Harley, but I actually like the Bane matchup. Projectile is good at keeping him out, and if he Bane charges you can just jump, float, and air-dash leaving you full screen in the other direction. BB's wake up is good to keep Bane in check if he does get in. Basically the way I play it is to abuse your way better mobility and projectile, and then try and go in for damage if he's on debuff/doesn't expect it.

I'm by no means a pro Beetle player, he's not even my main, but that general strategy seems to work

mk_mamood77

Liu/JohnnyKenshi main
So I cant cancel f23 on block to special, right? It's not something that need to be practiced or anything with timingwise?

Espio

Kokomo
I've gotta say he has been the most fun character to play since the Flash for me. Are we at a point yet where we have enough Blue Beetle players to talk about Match ups specifically and break down the ins and outs?

It may be too early but I am curious what BB mains have to say. Could we do a format like this? Only 3 characters and discuss it. Although right now I feel every match up in the entire game is 5-5 for the time being I want to start developing BB's MU chart soon.

vs Robin
Advantaged. I feel like BB can control pace with blast and keep good distance from Robin and build meter. Then once in striking range we can leverage our meter to win trades. Up close we can fight pretty well in either form. Mid range we can force Robin to do what we want as Blaster or play footsies in Blade. Far range we build meter relentlessly. He also has no clear answer for air blasters as you can out range his B2.

vs Superman
Disadvantaged. I do not have a clear answer for laser sweep aside from moving in and getting close. (personal shortcoming for sure) I think the answer is manipulating flight enough to punish him for it. You cant dash straight in because of the hitbox. Up close, superman is oppressive with his F2 pressure. I think it is very winnable though if you just patience in the neutral as your blast forces him to go to the air to sweep.

vs Black Adam
Even. Blast is very hard for Adam to deal with at less than max range. Adam must commit to dive kicks or walking in. . . most choose divekick and get punished pretty easily with BB. Also Adam has no wake up vs BB up close (b2xxBF3) crushes his lightning cage. Adam's trait is not that scary since you can back away and range. Equalizer is Adam's damage potential and avenues to achieve it. Mistakes are costly and can swing the fight very quickly.
I agree on Superman, he just has great answers for our air game, great answers for shield bash on block and can check our air fireball game hard too with Forward 2. I've found that non-MB laser can be punished by our straight projectile from far out though. It's likely losing, but not too bad.

Black Adam: I feel like Black Adam just does entirely too much damage off of so many stray hits. I agree we can crush his wake up game and it would be even, but even a huge life lead is easily lost to Adam. Trait is a killer too, I feel like the amount of times I'm down to low health and the Adam player is low health and they just pop trait, it's so hard to stop him from chipping you out. His comeback potential kind of swings the pendulum from what I feel like could have been super even to slight disadvantage.

Current match up thoughts:

Scarecrow: I feel pretty certain we win this match up handily. Blue Beetle zones him out pretty heavily and his mobility is a huge problem for Scarecrow to contend with since his teleport sucks. Blue Beetle can also block his long ranged armor attacks while zoning since his recovery is so good. We can pressure well too as his options to check shield bash are also meh. You wanna zone mostly on the ground with periodic air projectiles. Scarecrow's jump normals are good for stopping reckless air zoning.

Deadshot- Likely losing due to his superior footsies up close, safer mix ups and of course he manages to outzone us due to his plethora of zoning options and his wake up can armor break at times. The regular version is unsafe, but he seems like he always has meter by the time you get in on him so it's not that big of a deal. We can counter zone on good reads too and good reads on flight can lead to full combo punishes. He also has various projectiles that hit airborne opponents so while I feel we can somewhat reasonably fight him, I also feel like he has solid answers to our counter options which is why I would assert it is likely losing.

Cheetah: Match up seems pretty in our favor since she has no answer for shield bash and she struggles very hard to chase down enemies even walking backwards, must less a character who can fly and zip around the screen. She can stuff our wake up shield bash with down 3, but mixing up the timing beats that plus she is unsafe on sweep so you can punish with down 1 into combo if not spaced properly. Diagonal air projectile is a great check for lunge low profiling and it's so much harder for her to keep a life lead than it is for him to gain and keep one.

We out range her, out chip her and space her with our run away game. I would even argue our offense is better than hers since we can chip her and mix her safely while she has to many times take risks or do slower attacks to pressure and mix. I would be a hard sell on anything resembling even.

|Phantom|

"Scarab says you suck!"
So, I was kinda thinking about his DF1 MB. Do you guys think that if they were to buff it so that he bounces the opponent higher to get a b3 or f3 after burning the bar that the move would be too powerful?

ChatterBox

Searching for an alt.
So, I was kinda thinking about his DF1 MB. Do you guys think that if they were to buff it so that he bounces the opponent higher to get a b3 or f3 after burning the bar that the move would be too powerful?
I bet NRS think that would be too powerful. My reasoning is that because db1 has it but not df1. He gets decent damage, a side switch, and free trait switch with it already.

So, I've been playing BB the past few days (thank you Black for making me 10x better in 24 hours)

I wish I had a video to post, but I've found this new tech and wanted to share.

(when I'm not ending in f2) I've started ending mid screen combos with the 13 fly cancel. Why? because you can air dash, fly cancel again, jump in 2. It some times crosses up, disrupts/avoids wake ups, and usually keeps the opponent blocking/on the defensive.

It takes a bit to get the timing, but I'm interested to see what people think. 13fly as a juggling ender, air dash, fly cancel again, jump in 2, just keep swinging. (your continuing pressure options of course include b2, df1 or both)

So, I've been playing BB the past few days (thank you Black for making me 10x better in 24 hours)

I wish I had a video to post, but I've found this new tech and wanted to share.

(when I'm not ending in f2) I've started ending mid screen combos with the 13 fly cancel. Why? because you can air dash, fly cancel again, jump in 2. It some times crosses up, disrupts/avoids wake ups, and usually keeps the opponent blocking/on the defensive.

It takes a bit to get the timing, but I'm interested to see what people think. 13fly as a juggling ender, air dash, fly cancel again, jump in 2, just keep swinging. (your continuing pressure options of course include b2, df1 or both)
I think that setup is d2 punishable

|Phantom|

"Scarab says you suck!"
So this is a pretty specific question, but I was in the lab with BB and GL last night, trying to find ways to blow up GL's B13 string. It turns out that you CAN armor the gap w/ B3MB.

However, IDK if it was my execution or what, but I could not get it consistently... Anybody have any tips?

It is easy enough to armor strings that start with a high... This one just threw me for a loop..

TurboTaco

Mexican street vendor
I used to play Hawkgirl in Injustice and was told Blue Beetle plays similarly to how she did. What do yo guys think?

|Phantom|

"Scarab says you suck!"
After playing ranked with BB a few times now, I can say that in my opinion I feel like there are at least theee characters that he, or at least I, struggle with.

Superman: I have the hardest time getting around his MB air laser. I am still new to this franchise, so it could be that I just don't know how to get around them.. and F23 (I think) feels pretty strong for Supes. It seems hard to keep him out, and BB can't really contest his dmg imo

AquaMan: From the Deep doesn't give me much trouble, as I can fly over it, but approaching him in the air feels like a bit of a death sentence. His trident normals can pretty much swat me out of the air.

Black Canary: this one feels tough, but I don't have much knowledge of the character. I pretty much get shit mixed by her repeatedly...

I'm sure I can figure out all these with more lab time, just wondering if anyone has any suggestions?

PS, Black Adam doesn't really have a lot that can deal with BBs airial mobility in my exp. Seems like moving up and back is the way to go against him

PharaohLite

Run Cancels Breh
I just started trying to learn this character. Can somebody tell me what the fuck I'm supposed to be doing? Am I a zoner? Am I a rushdown with blade stance and air flight cancels? Am I some kind of mutant hybrid. He looks cool af but im seriously lost lmao thanks

Kroaken

Life is a block string with no gaps.
I just started trying to learn this character. Can somebody tell me what the fuck I'm supposed to be doing? Am I a zoner? Am I a rushdown with blade stance and air flight cancels? Am I some kind of mutant hybrid. He looks cool af but im seriously lost lmao thanks
He is just that. A hybrid. At least that seems to be the concept. He has a strong projectile and mobility options for playing as a zoner in MUs that would favor a zoner and for those that do not, he has his blades and flight pressure.

Espio

Kokomo
So this is a pretty specific question, but I was in the lab with BB and GL last night, trying to find ways to blow up GL's B13 string. It turns out that you CAN armor the gap w/ B3MB.

However, IDK if it was my execution or what, but I could not get it consistently... Anybody have any tips?

It is easy enough to armor strings that start with a high... This one just threw me for a loop..
There's a gap in back 1,3, but you're not really armoring or back dashing from my testing. However, you can armor, down 1 out of Back 1,2.

I used to play Hawkgirl in Injustice and was told Blue Beetle plays similarly to how she did. What do yo guys think?
The two core things he has in common with Hawkgirl are as follows: He has insane air mobility AND he has a safe advancing special that is only minus four on block (it's basically mace charge). As a Hawkgirl main myself, I feel right at home with him. They both have some upsides and downsides though.

You're not jumping out of stuff like down 1, shield bash or down 1 EX fireball so his pokes cancelled into specials you have to respect and he has a godlike in comparison ground fireball. Flight wise, he can only shoot one air fireball before he is forced to come back down to Earth unlike Hawkgirl where she could pelt a lot before having to come down. He can definitely run and get in quickly like her too though.

After playing ranked with BB a few times now, I can say that in my opinion I feel like there are at least theee characters that he, or at least I, struggle with.

Superman: I have the hardest time getting around his MB air laser. I am still new to this franchise, so it could be that I just don't know how to get around them.. and F23 (I think) feels pretty strong for Supes. It seems hard to keep him out, and BB can't really contest his dmg imo

AquaMan: From the Deep doesn't give me much trouble, as I can fly over it, but approaching him in the air feels like a bit of a death sentence. His trident normals can pretty much swat me out of the air.

Black Canary: this one feels tough, but I don't have much knowledge of the character. I pretty much get shit mixed by her repeatedly...

I'm sure I can figure out all these with more lab time, just wondering if anyone has any suggestions?

PS, Black Adam doesn't really have a lot that can deal with BBs airial mobility in my exp. Seems like moving up and back is the way to go against him
Black Canary shouldn't be giving you too much trouble considering we zone her out and her range normal wise isn't something to freak out about overall. We also can chuck air fireballs at her and they make her full screen trait whiff. Then if we happen to be zoning when she lets it rip, she'll get interrupted and the trade kills the combo. Blue Beetle realistically should control the entire tempo of that match up. She has no real answer for blocked shield bash either. It should be at BEST for her 5-5, if not favorable to us. He gave Canary a hard time in the beta BEFORE he got improved in the base game.

Superman is a challenge, but you're gonna have to adapt to playing more on the ground, he isn't a character that you're gonna beat off of his air based zoning game. Superman just has good answers for our air game, he can actually check blocked shield bash and badly placed fireballs are either punished or checked with Forward 2,3. You can punish him on non-MB'd air laser because our projectile is so fast. You're gonna have to play a competent footsie game with him and yes you lose this, but despite how strong he is, he cannot keep you out indefinitely and you can use your air mobility if done intelligently on getting in position.

Aquaman should be pretty A-okay honestly. Even if he trait up we have safe means to check him and as for his anti-air game, you have the ability with float to not only cancel your jump in into another float, but you can also retreat, go forward, dash in the air, throw a projectile or do nothing. He shouldn't be reliably stopping you unless you're being predictable with your mobility. He can't even punish our air fireballs with from the deep AND we can backdash it post projectile to avoid chip.

The best and most simple way to describe Blue Beetle is this: He is a hybrid hit and run character. He can zone, rushdown and play footsies. He is good at many things, but not godlike at any one particular thing.

He has some safe 50/50's, but they lead to low damage. He can go for bigger damage, but at a risk to him. His projectile recovery on the ground is insane, so much so that people doing ranged attacks can still be blocked in time. You have to zone sloppily to get punished for it.

Abuse your mobility for air mix ups/pressure, run away or to help amplify your ground based zoning tools.

The key to playing Blue Beetle is flexibility and versatility. I almost never use Blade stance because base BB has most of the perks and the trade off I feel still isn't worth it.

You have a 14 frame advancing mid that hits at round start that is more than suitable for range and can be made safe with bash.

RagingRicans

NetBattles
I feel like Blue Beetle goes 5-5 with both Aquaman and Superman.

Against Aquaman air shot is great. You can react and a2a is jump easily or anti air.Shield bash is a superior tool on the ground and beetle has the walk speed to play the ground game. Blue beetle can also lock the Man in the corner as long as your spacing and reads are right.

Superman has to respect your zoning. You can counter zone air lasers by neutral jumping air shot at certain distance. D2 can easily shut down air approach and shield bash is an amazing space control over n the ground. If Supes tried to Check it with f23 you can just walk out of his range and whiff punish.

This man has the tool set to win a lot of MU's

TurboTaco

Mexican street vendor
@Espio Thanks for the response, was practicing him last night and I felt right at home! Feels like you have to work really hard to get any damage though.

You are a rush down 50/50 character, with a dirty corner game, and fast fun flight inputs for crossing up downed opponents (yes you can space, but learn to do that bf2 with jumps/flight cancels mixed in..... though standing spam is safest).

ENDERS:
you want to end combos w/ f2 (then cross up with a jump in 3) if it lands/crosses up you can d2 f2 repeat. or d2 f2 db1 for meter combo.

db1 meter lets you land a b3 off of, just step forward a bit. (or f3 is a slightly easier input imo) the bounce back from b3 is fast and low, but there are a few funny set ups you can do a f2 for simplicity. jump in, vertical jump for a cross up. OR jump in, flight cancel, jump up for a non-cross-up for wake up preasure.

I also enjoy combos ending with 13 flight cancel, forward dash, flight cancel, jump in 2. Fast inputs, but it is confusing for the opponent to wake up to/sometimes crosses up.

CORNER:
In the corner d3, dash in, vertical jump 2 is a cross up, depending on the timing if the 2 in the air.

This takes timing, but learn to loop ppl in the corner with this block string. 13 flight cancel d2 (or d1) repeat. If they don't know what it is, they won't know how to get out of the loop until they guess wrong a few times.

knock em down. jump into the corner. flight cancel (now a backwards input) jump vertically 2. Again, depending on the timing it can cross up.

50/50s:
b2 df1 is a over head low. (great w/ trait) starter
jump in (any attack) df1 is a over head low starter

Flight: 13db2 is his attack string canceled into flight. learn it.
Jump in 1 flight cancel, jump over 2, is a fun thing to do.

Last edited: