What's new

Blue Beetle General Discussion Thread

Sesal Snow

Exorcist, Demonologist and Master of the Dark Arts
I don't think they can bait a jump 1 into damage from full screen. You can air cancel and get away just fine after jump 1.
No most of the time the giant jump arc chases Beetles back jump and because she is so active it catches me a lot.
However I have been playing this match up a fair bit now since I have a friend who mains cheetah, I seem to be doing a lot better. I find that zoning for the meter and making sure I always have a push block ready helps tremendous amounts in this match up.
Still need to run this Match up some more but so far I have been winning against most cheetahs that are competent at this game.

Thanks for you input guys: @pfiidud3 @Espio @ChatterBox @| Phantom |

|Phantom|

"Scarab says you suck!"
No most of the time the giant jump arc chases Beetles back jump and because she is so active it catches me a lot.
However I have been playing this match up a fair bit now since I have a friend who mains cheetah, I seem to be doing a lot better. I find that zoning for the meter and making sure I always have a push block ready helps tremendous amounts in this match up.
Still need to run this Match up some more but so far I have been winning against most cheetahs that are competent at this game.

Thanks for you input guys: @pfiidud3 @Espio @ChatterBox @| Phantom |
I still haven't really gotten to play a good cheeta.

But the one I did play in ranked got d2'd every time they leaped in... So I guess it is possible. But I fucking hate ranked matches because I can usually only find shitty players and shittier people... lol

Sesal Snow

Exorcist, Demonologist and Master of the Dark Arts
I still haven't really gotten to play a good cheeta.

But the one I did play in ranked got d2'd every time they leaped in... So I guess it is possible. But I fucking hate ranked matches because I can usually only find shitty players and shittier people... lol
Yeah I have been able to d2 a lot more consistent however whenever my friend does an early jump 3 it mostly beats out the d2 and they can combo it into d1 command throw for full combo. Just gotta keep an eye out for it. All cheetah players are maniacs it seems so eventually if you play the zoning game right and they get frustrated they always seem to try and leap a lot more and don't think about it. This is when you can instant j1 or d2 etc. Been working good for me lately but as I said last post still want more exp against her. She seems a solid character atm.

ChatterBox

Searching for an alt.
Yeah I have been able to d2 a lot more consistent however whenever my friend does an early jump 3 it mostly beats out the d2 and they can combo it into d1 command throw for full combo. Just gotta keep an eye out for it. All cheetah players are maniacs it seems so eventually if you play the zoning game right and they get frustrated they always seem to try and leap a lot more and don't think about it. This is when you can instant j1 or d2 etc. Been working good for me lately but as I said last post still want more exp against her. She seems a solid character atm.
also if you really want to go for a hardcore moment just db1 that ho, it's the ultimate read

So what do I do in the Beetle v Stupidman matchup?

I feel like I'm getting outzoned in this matchup so I have to rush in and just get f2 pressured to death.

RagingRicans

NetBattles
I have a match video in the video thread if you want to watch it lol

Zoning wise...He can't mess with your fireballs on the ground. Neutral jump air mid range beats air lasers on reaction. You Just have to play solid neutral.

Superman honestly has to come to you and you have the tools to keep him in Check (d2, shield bash) shield bash is great against superman because if he tries to f23 your walkspeed will him out of range and you condition him to respect it.

B. Shazzy

NRS shill #42069
you know i hear a lot about beetle superman being fine but i dont see it for the reasons tony mentions.

Zoning wise...He can't mess with your fireballs on the ground. Neutral jump air mid range beats air lasers on reaction. You Just have to play solid neutral.

Superman honestly has to come to you and you have the tools to keep him in Check (d2, shield bash) shield bash is great against superman because if he tries to f23 your walkspeed will him out of range and you condition him to respect it.
can i play your beetle in the matchup little buddy

In the lab with this right now.

Full screen it looks like he wins this war. I nj on reaction but he can still duck the following projectile- or rather just jump up and do another air laser.

Outer mid range- my jump-up to projectile whiffs a bit short

Mid range (where my jump-up projectile would normally reach) he can MB on reaction his lasers and it will tag me in the most bizarre way

B. Shazzy

NRS shill #42069
Nah its not hard for Superman to take zero risk and Beetle has to make too many hard reads to keep up.

ricans was playing pretty well but i could just touch him once with lasers or f2 and win. If any Beetle out there wants to play the matchup to see what i mean im waiting lul

I don't think I can outzone him. At least I can't find a contrived example in practice mode where I can. I really feel I have to go in.

Right now it looks like at full screen, best course of action

1) Jump lasor on reaction and do an air dash forward
2) Air EC at the end of the dash.

If Supes wants to do another ground laser, I think he get's tagged by EC.
If Supes jumps up and does another air lasor, I block it and take my free dash in, and we are now in footsie range.

**edit**
Ok, more labbing done now, I'm really digging just air dashing in. His air dash has a ton of range and I can't find a situation where Stupidman doesn't have to think about his next move or just get punished for it.

Last edited:

Espio

Kokomo
Aquaman match up is interesting I dunno how I feel about it. I found myself pretty much never bothering with low stab to start combos unless I landed a jump 3 into down 1 special or trait was totally gone. He can luckily put his safe specials to good effect on Aquaman so it's not too much of an issue.

BB can punish regular trident rush on block with shield bash so that's something helpful to think about.

Post blocked air projectile is an interesting meta. You can backdash the from the deep follow up so if he reads this he can delay to check you, but if he hesitates you can jump back in the air and try to get in striking distance, throw a ground projectile or an air one and then of course there's simply blocking.

They both counter zone each other pretty well and if BB scouts a from the deep, he can punish the whiff with air projectile. Thank goodness for Aquaman's floaty jump as it makes it easier to anti-air him and annoy him with zoning. Jump 1 or down 2 depending on scenario/jump in.

I feel like so many Beetle match ups are contingent on a life lead more so than any other character I've ever played.

I originally thought Aquaman's range and wall he puts up would be super insurmountable but it's pretty tolerable to get in striking distance. Float means he has to guess quite a bit. Jump in, float forward/backward, float air dash, MB projectile, regular air projectile, jump 1 to catch him trying to air to air etc.

RagingRicans

NetBattles
The scary thing about playing the counter zoning game with Aquaman is the insane damage of he gets a FTD,but yeah air shot is key in that match up.

It's another MU Blue Beetle can win but just has to outperform constantly.

But I'm just a chronic upplayer lol

knight x1868

Blue Lantern Corps
Aquaman match up is interesting I dunno how I feel about it. I found myself pretty much never bothering with low stab to start combos unless I landed a jump 3 into down 1 special or trait was totally gone. He can luckily put his safe specials to good effect on Aquaman so it's not too much of an issue.

BB can punish regular trident rush on block with shield bash so that's something helpful to think about.

Post blocked air projectile is an interesting meta. You can backdash the from the deep follow up so if he reads this he can delay to check you, but if he hesitates you can jump back in the air and try to get in striking distance, throw a ground projectile or an air one and then of course there's simply blocking.

They both counter zone each other pretty well and if BB scouts a from the deep, he can punish the whiff with air projectile. Thank goodness for Aquaman's floaty jump as it makes it easier to anti-air him and annoy him with zoning. Jump 1 or down 2 depending on scenario/jump in.

I feel like so many Beetle match ups are contingent on a life lead more so than any other character I've ever played.

I originally thought Aquaman's range and wall he puts up would be super insurmountable but it's pretty tolerable to get in striking distance. Float means he has to guess quite a bit. Jump in, float forward/backward, float air dash, MB projectile, regular air projectile, jump 1 to catch him trying to air to air etc.
I think Beetle is going to be the character that gives a lot of the highest tier characters a hard time.

Nah its not hard for Superman to take zero risk and Beetle has to make too many hard reads to keep up.

ricans was playing pretty well but i could just touch him once with lasers or f2 and win. If any Beetle out there wants to play the matchup to see what i mean im waiting lul
Deal

TurboTaco

Mexican street vendor
I dont understand this question. I over use blade stance, if anything. But i suppose the answer depends on the mu. Keep in mind you can also change during df1 db1 and bf2 stab lunge
I'm still getting to grips but I haven't found myself using blade stance at all? You lose out on projectile and a safe special with shield bash

I'm still getting to grips but I haven't found myself using blade stance at all? You lose out on projectile and a safe special with shield bash
Shield bash is good. But ppl talk about it like its f23. Its just a 'your turn to pressure ends here move' that when it whiffs............ uuuuuugh.

I hardly use projectile unless I'm closing out a round and trying to avoid getting combo'd. Or trying to counter something like superman air lasers.

BUT YOU get d1 and d2 and b2 starters. Not great damage. But so fast, the range, and starts my cross up engines.

THE RANGE! THE SPEED! THE JUMP 1 AIR CANCELS JUST CUZ!!!!!!!!

TurboTaco

Mexican street vendor
Shield bash is good. But ppl talk about it like its f23. Its just a 'your turn to pressure ends here move' that when it whiffs............ uuuuuugh.

I hardly use projectile unless I'm closing out a round and trying to avoid getting combo'd. Or trying to counter something like superman air lasers.

BUT YOU get d1 and d2 and b2 starters. Not great damage. But so fast, the range, and starts my cross up engines.

THE RANGE! THE SPEED! THE JUMP 1 AIR CANCELS JUST CUZ!!!!!!!!
I'll have to start practicing more in blade stance and watch some of your gameplay videos. I find myself using his projectile a lot, too much probably! I just think its a really good tool that can zone out some characters

|Phantom|

"Scarab says you suck!"
This is why BB is sooo interesting.

He has the ability to tick different boxes for different players. It makes his play style so open ended.

I can see some matchups where blade stance would really help against opponents with stubby range.
Not to mention the range of his B2 and Df1 in that stance.
He can almost act as that "bully" type of fighter in that stance getting in perfect range for himself while staying out of theirs.

Then you have his projectile.

Fantastic tool imo.
It's fast, good dmg, good chip.
It knocks down on MB, and I think it even jails on some strings, creating true blockstrings (need to research)
It hits over head when MB in the air as well.

With me being a predominately space control"ish"/ zone heavy type of player, it's not really hard to see why I love this tool so much.

Plus, you know it's good when you have over 30 messages on PSN of people telling you that you are a spamming scrub ;)