What's new

Blazblue Cross Tag Battle

JBeezYBabY

Mr. Righteous
https://twitter.com/PQubeGames/status/1011896996649689088

"#BBTAG patch is live today on PS4 fixing:
1. Fixed the behaviour when part of the partner skills caused the locking technique to hit.
2. Some Persona characters rebalanced.
3. Replay data update - meaning that the old version of replay data can not be played after this update"
There has to be more than this. I kinda found something that was NOT included in the notes. Im guessing the people that I faced online appear in the main, offline hall. Its weird....its like bodies of the opponents you slayed to haunt you.

EntropicByDesign

It's all so very confusing.
Small amount of tinkering yesterday.

Vatista out..she's cool, but don't like her in practice as much as theory.

Lineup stands as follows:

Blake
Carmine
Es
Jubei
Azrael

Honorable mention : Linne. <-- if someone can explain her, what she does and how shes played at a higher level, I'd be down to hear it.

JBeezYBabY

Mr. Righteous
Small amount of tinkering yesterday.

Vatista out..she's cool, but don't like her in practice as much as theory.

Lineup stands as follows:

Blake
Carmine
Es
Jubei
Azrael

Honorable mention : Linne. <-- if someone can explain her, what she does and how shes played at a higher level, I'd be down to hear it.
Linne has awesome frickin' range and anti air normals that can shut down anybody's jump ins. Her 236-Super is not the easiest move to punish so she can throw that shit out whenever and it can still hit. Also quite damaging. She's a pretty good character from what Ive faced online.

EntropicByDesign

Linne has awesome frickin' range and anti air normals that can shut down anybody's jump ins. Her 236-Super is not the easiest move to punish so she can throw that shit out whenever and it can still hit. Also quite damaging. She's a pretty good character from what Ive faced online.

She's interesting. I didn't expect to like her, but she kinda stuck out.

Tanno

The Fantasy is the Reality of the Mind
Not the easiest move to punish? Have you tried Resonance cancelled into super against this?

Arcsys pls.

Just let me pick 2 Rachels. Nobody is as fun as her :(
You like so much that vampire, eh? How dull!

JBeezYBabY

Mr. Righteous
Not the easiest move to punish? Have you tried Resonance cancelled into super against this?

You like so much that vampire, eh? How dull!
I meant punishing HER not the other way around. You have to wait until her full animation is done before you can even advance, otherwise you will get smacked with her last part of the super. Ive even seen it in tournament.

Pusblock then counter super is an option, but character dependent if it beats it. BETTER option would be to pushblock, jump dash over her and combo her from behind because she will be stuck in the combo animation for a clean full combo.

Tanno

I meant punishing HER not the other way around. You have to wait until her full animation is done before you can even advance, otherwise you will get smacked with her last part of the super. Ive even seen it in tournament.

Pusblock then counter super is an option, but character dependent if it beats it. BETTER option would be to pushblock, jump dash over her and combo her from behind because she will be stuck in the combo animation for a clean full combo.
This is what I meant. To punish her. There are various ways to punish her. One to pushblock and do anything to stay away from the corner. One to do Resonance Cancel to Special (it's in tactics as you learn how to punish Yu's special with Ruby's RCS (Resonance Cancel to Special). Ruby's special is similar to Hit's 236S from DBFZ). You can even try zoning her to keep her in check. There are tons of ways to punish them according to any situations you're in. The RCS is the trickiest of all, but I found the timing to do it, and did it 3 out of 3.

I'm working many situations as Makoto to do some setups along with current assist, Yang. Just recently, I did a 214B into j.AA against a Jubei and a Hakumen dudes, and it worked. 214B is faster than doing normal jump or IAD, which ultimately confuses the opponent with her clones. I gotta work on the rest before Viennality.

EntropicByDesign

I dunno if Carmine and Azrael would make a good team together necessarily, but thematically they fit pretty well lol.

@JBeezYBabY Yeah, I don't see a lot of Platinum, she's an odd duck to be sure.

I have no idea what I'll do team-wise.. honestly I'm not planning on playing the game seriously at all right now, I just want to understand it better for watching tournaments and to have a general handle on things for when I do feel like I have the time and motivation to really dive in..

So that said, I may not even pick a team, or teams, and just play around with a small pool of characters in whatever combination I feel like at the time.

Ruby is kinda awesome too. I see why she's so common.

Es is a monster and extremely fun.

JBeezYBabY

Mr. Righteous
I dunno if Carmine and Azrael would make a good team together necessarily, but thematically they fit pretty well lol.

@JBeezYBabY Yeah, I don't see a lot of Platinum, she's an odd duck to be sure.

I have no idea what I'll do team-wise.. honestly I'm not planning on playing the game seriously at all right now, I just want to understand it better for watching tournaments and to have a general handle on things for when I do feel like I have the time and motivation to really dive in..

So that said, I may not even pick a team, or teams, and just play around with a small pool of characters in whatever combination I feel like at the time.

Ruby is kinda awesome too. I see why she's so common.

Es is a monster and extremely fun.
I dont think anybody is really playing this game serious, but its damn fun! I mean, the lobbys say ALOT about how this game is perceived. EVERYBODY is doing Casual matches, where theres less than 10 ppl playing Ranked online as a whole. I checked last night and was like DAYUM! But hey, i would too after the fuckery DBFZ provided with their lobby system. The best part tho is NOBODY rage quits, well....at least at lower level. Still haven't played a pink ...EDIT i Did play a pink last night and lost by 1 hit, so it could have gone either way.

But i like how online is played in this game waaaaay better than DBFZ

EntropicByDesign

I dont think anybody is really playing this game serious, but its damn fun! I mean, the lobbys say ALOT about how this game is perceived. EVERYBODY is doing Casual matches, where theres less than 10 ppl playing Ranked online as a whole. I checked last night and was like DAYUM! But hey, i would too after the fuckery DBFZ provided with their lobby system. The best part tho is NOBODY rage quits, well....at least at lower level. Still haven't played a pink ...EDIT i Did play a pink last night and lost by 1 hit, so it could have gone either way.

But i like how online is played in this game waaaaay better than DBFZ

It's weird though, because in GG and BBCF, ranked just isn't played. It's an Arcsys thing. FighterZ is the exception, and that's because it's a far broader game fan-wise than your typical anime fighter. So I wouldn't let casual lobbies fool you into thinking people aren't taking the game seriously, I honestly think it's going to develop a very strong competitive core. I think it's super possible that it will/has attract(ed) FighterZ refugees to it. People that are sick of that game for one reason or another, or just want something a little different. I'm absolutely not saying it will "take over" FighterZ, just that it's likely it will attract some serious FighterZ players away.

You could absolutely be right though, that's just my thought process is all.

Also, Jubei is looking to be even more awesome than I originally thought.

Sazbak

Noob
What does it mean to play a game seriously? Giving up your 9 to 5 job and practicing all day while listening to the Eye of the Tiger? As far as I'm concerned if you spend a lot o time in practice mode, look up tournament footage and study frame data even just for 1.5 h a day then you take this game seriously. If you just mash some buttons without a care then you don't.

Tanno

What does it mean to play a game seriously? Giving up your 9 to 5 job and practicing all day while listening to the Eye of the Tiger? As far as I'm concerned if you spend a lot o time in practice mode, look up tournament footage and study frame data even just for 1.5 h a day then you take this game seriously. If you just mash some buttons without a care then you don't.
Not quite wrong, but if you want to practice, to lab a shit ton of situations and setups and play ranked just to test things out, this could ultimately lead to around 5 to 7 hours per day, depending on anyone's mood.

Those who play 1 hour or so are those who want to casually relax and play around.

Στάλθηκε από το C6833 μου χρησιμοποιώντας Tapatalk

EntropicByDesign

What I mean when I say play seriously, is making a continued and concentrated effort to get better, and to play the game at the highest possible level you can reach. That's what I mean. It doesnt have shit to do with some arbitrary amount of time spent.. Its an outlook.

If I sit in training mode and I use my time there to develop fun setups and swag combos or get the basics of a 5th or 6th character down so I can go mess around with them. If I spend my matches - even though Im trying to win - goofing off and trying to land the swag combo, or silly setup, or pushing gimmicks or things I find funny or satisfying, then Im not playing seriously. Im just having fun, and not playing the game seriously.

If I sit in training mode, labbing my options and exploring matchups and practicing the most optimal stuff I can find/thats known for my team and intentionally keeping my character pool as small as possible so I am as thorough and optimal and versed in MU specifics as I possibly can be. If watch footage - my own or tournament or high level, or that of a respected player or character representative or whatever in order to learn absolutely everything I can about my own weaknesses and habits and the meta of the game at the highest levels. If Im researching frame data with more purpose than knowing my own very basics. If I play matches with the singular focus of not actually winning, but becoming a better player in some way. I'm taking the game seriously.

Fun and serious absolutely overlap, they arent mutually exclusive by any means - but there are areas of divide. For me, when Im playing seriously, Im rarely ever playing to win. Im playing to learn something and be a better player. Im going to analyze sets and such and actively try to get better. When Im playing just for fun, I dont take that approach. I just play. I'll bounce to different characters and mess around when I play because my focus isnt on being the best player its in my ability to be, but just to do whatever looks interesting in the short term. I'm still enjoying myself either way (otherwise Id never play anything seriously) - its just an outlook and an end-goal.

JBeezYBabY

Mr. Righteous
Welp, Uncle JBeezY is going to be grinding online today. So if anybody want some games, ill be in Casual Lobby 1 or 2 (more than likely 2 cuz 1 is always full) so find me and lets grow togetha ;)

PSN - JBeezYBabY1

Sazbak

Noob
What I mean when I say play seriously, is making a continued and concentrated effort to get better, and to play the game at the highest possible level you can reach. That's what I mean. It doesnt have shit to do with some arbitrary amount of time spent.. Its an outlook.

If I sit in training mode and I use my time there to develop fun setups and swag combos or get the basics of a 5th or 6th character down so I can go mess around with them. If I spend my matches - even though Im trying to win - goofing off and trying to land the swag combo, or silly setup, or pushing gimmicks or things I find funny or satisfying, then Im not playing seriously. Im just having fun, and not playing the game seriously.

If I sit in training mode, labbing my options and exploring matchups and practicing the most optimal stuff I can find/thats known for my team and intentionally keeping my character pool as small as possible so I am as thorough and optimal and versed in MU specifics as I possibly can be. If watch footage - my own or tournament or high level, or that of a respected player or character representative or whatever in order to learn absolutely everything I can about my own weaknesses and habits and the meta of the game at the highest levels. If Im researching frame data with more purpose than knowing my own very basics. If I play matches with the singular focus of not actually winning, but becoming a better player in some way. I'm taking the game seriously.

Fun and serious absolutely overlap, they arent mutually exclusive by any means - but there are areas of divide. For me, when Im playing seriously, Im rarely ever playing to win. Im playing to learn something and be a better player. Im going to analyze sets and such and actively try to get better. When Im playing just for fun, I dont take that approach. I just play. I'll bounce to different characters and mess around when I play because my focus isnt on being the best player its in my ability to be, but just to do whatever looks interesting in the short term. I'm still enjoying myself either way (otherwise Id never play anything seriously) - its just an outlook and an end-goal.
I completely agree about your outlook vs time spent perspective. This is how I think as well.

"If I spend my matches - even though Im trying to win - goofing off and trying to land the swag combo, or silly setup, or pushing gimmicks or things I find funny or satisfying, then Im not playing seriously. Im just having fun, and not playing the game seriously."

Do you include character selection in this as well? If I play a swaggy low tier character but I take the game seriously in any other aspect does that mean I play the game seriously?
In my opinion this is not black or white often so it's better to represent this on a scale. I would rank the above mentioned players 4 out of 5.

EntropicByDesign

I completely agree about your outlook vs time spent perspective. This is how I think as well.

"If I spend my matches - even though Im trying to win - goofing off and trying to land the swag combo, or silly setup, or pushing gimmicks or things I find funny or satisfying, then Im not playing seriously. Im just having fun, and not playing the game seriously."

Do you include character selection in this as well? If I play a swaggy low tier character but I take the game seriously in any other aspect does that mean I play the game seriously?
In my opinion this is not black or white often so it's better to represent this on a scale. I would rank the above mentioned players 4 out of 5.
Sorry meant to reply yesterday.

So, you're absolutely right in that it's not purely black and white. My definition in this is actually meant in a purely self-descriptive way.. as what and how someone else defines their approach
And intentions in a game isnt anything I can or should try to define.

Of course I say that, when just a few posts ago I gave my opinion on the "seriousness" of other BBtag players - but I really just meant that despite playing in the casual match area, if it's like other Arcsys games, casual matches don't necessarily mean casual.

To answer you more directly though, I don't factor results into the definition, so playing a shitty character wouldn't really change anything.

It's an interesting discussion though and there's a ton of overlap and grey area.

Tanno

Maybe I found some setups to deal against the incoming tag in after the KO of one of the opponents as Makoto. Looking to see if these setups work on all characters. Her 214B (front air shadow clone) is invinsible against the tag in attack. Her 214A (ground shadow clone) passes through and misses the attack. Sweet. xD

JBeezYBabY

Mr. Righteous
Maybe I found some setups to deal against the incoming tag in after the KO of one of the opponents as Makoto. Looking to see if these setups work on all characters. Her 214B (front air shadow clone) is invinsible against the tag in attack. Her 214A (ground shadow clone) passes through and misses the attack. Sweet. xD
Welp, i do know that backdashes give you invulnerable frames. So if you time it right, you can backdash right before the opponent drops, then punish them because YOU will be plus. :)

Tanno

Welp, i do know that backdashes give you invulnerable frames. So if you time it right, you can backdash right before the opponent drops, then punish them because YOU will be plus. :)
I know the backdash's invulnerable frames, as well, but it's way too risky, because it needs to be timed strictly as the tag-in is way fast AF. You get a 50/50 risk of being hit or miss. If miss, you might be surprised and not have time to react accordingly. The setup I found is guarranted 50/50, I think. If you do the shadow clone setup WITH the front assist, you're bound to prevent your opponent to react. You're guarranted to attack either as Makoto, or switch as assist to confuse your opponent, because you attack on BOTH sides. Originally, if you simply jump upfront, you risk of getting hit. What I found is a safe one. Dunno if anyone found it.

Uploading the video. Will show you guys later.

Marinjuana

Up rock incoming, ETA 5 minutes
@JBeezYBabY

And especially to whoever mains Makoto.
That looks super nasty, is that first one an actual punish or is it just pressure? I love the shadow clone one.

While we're on the subject, I got some anti-tag stuff with Tager, using his invincible moves.

So Tager's Wedge Catapult throw is invincible and lasts long, so if you time it just right you can be invincible for the tag-in and "meaty" throw the opponent for big damage. They can still DP or jump so this one is gimmicky but the reward is super high. Ignore the combo I did in the video I'm still trying to figure out the ender.

His Sledge normal, B, is invincible when charging against everything except lows, which is what we need here. If you time it right(it's not very hard either), you can go right through the tag-in, whiff your sledge against their invincibility and then you can "meaty" the opponent with 214~A throw or 4A strike mixup or basically what ever you want to do. It's almost like a knockdown where they can't tech/ukemi.

(Sorry for bootleg)

It works on both Jin and Ragna, not sure if this stuff is consistent across the whole cast.

Tanno

That looks super nasty, is that first one an actual punish or is it just pressure? I love the shadow clone one.

While we're on the subject, I got some anti-tag stuff with Tager, using his invincible moves.

So Tager's Wedge Catapult throw is invincible and lasts long, so if you time it just right you can be invincible for the tag-in and "meaty" throw the opponent for big damage. They can still DP or jump so this one is gimmicky but the reward is super high. Ignore the combo I did in the video I'm still trying to figure out the ender.

His Sledge normal, B, is invincible when charging against everything except lows, which is what we need here. If you time it right(it's not very hard either), you can go right through the tag-in, whiff your sledge against their invincibility and then you can "meaty" the opponent with 214~A throw or 4A strike mixup or basically what ever you want to do. It's almost like a knockdown where they can't tech/ukemi.

(Sorry for bootleg)

It works on both Jin and Ragna, not sure if this stuff is consistent across the whole cast.
Swag setups you got there. I'm sure @CrazyFingers would love it.

In mine video, the first one is one way to punish it solo, so you can keep the pressure. It's just in case any opponent tries to keep the pressure after the tag-in. I cannot do the j.C when I'm in Shadow mode. If I press the C when in Shadow mode, it'll bring other stuff that I don't want at all. I found it by accident when I did the casual set against Nanondorf.

The 214B (middle shadow) has invinsible frames, which I noticed when I did this testing. Originally, when you normally jump (not high, not super, just normal) you get punished by this. The 214B has the same height, yet it avoided the tag-in attack.

The 214A (ground shadow) just passes below the tag-in in the same manner as the B part.

And the combos I did there are quite OK. The last part of the combos, when I brought out the orb, is the meaty one, already known since the previous Blazblue games, much similar to Piccolo's. The orb is a good AA and a counter-zoning, which you can see in the casual set. The orb is a good AA at the right angle, while it's a good counter-zoning tool when you activate it just before your opponent's projectile hits you, because it absorbs it and returns the attack back to its caster. I want to test these tools against the other opponents, however, I'm not sure it'll work against the beam zoners, like Vatista.

Lastly, the reason I brought out Yang assist was to confuse my opponents, while I attack at the other side. It's a guarranted 50/50, because you can attack on both sides (either as Makoto, or as Yang). As Makoto you can attack either high, or low, or throw or C, or do a multihit special to switch to Yang to do either C, or throw, or Command Grab (214B).