What's new

Black Manta General Discussion "I brought a hook to hang you from."

Blade4693

VIVIVI
Man you are bad lol. Jk man

Simply put, the start up on rockets/mb rockets is relatively slow and the hit advantage on most strings simply isn't high enough to guarantee the rockets for full combo so the counter resets. You can put the dummy to auto block and see that after a landed 123, the AI can block the canceled rockets.
No I am lol im ok at SFV and felt like I was pretty decent at KI but im just bad at NRS games.

And yeah that makes more sense, I was under the impression that if I could special cancel into his tele from these strings that I should be able to cancel into ex rockets too but yeah, that clearly isn't the case haha. Thanks for the explanation.

gibster13

A fan of fans
I love Manta as a character and I think he is well-designed. But idk, something seems off. The badass from Justice League War seems missing.

I prefer when he is tall, slimline and has a underlying cockiness about him. Not all depressed cuz he dad got shanked. Just me ?

His lasers are his main aspect, they should be his trait. When people think "Manta," they think "Fuck off eye lasers,""Trident," and "Steve Irwin." People don't think "A fish with a jetpack."

edit: Justice League flashpoint paradox

#MakeMantaLasersGreatAgain2k17

Last edited:

SunsetBlvd

Proven Nappa GOD, 100% VERIFIED Best Nappa NA
When people think "Manta," they think "Fuck off eye lasers,""Trident," and "Steve Irwin." People don't think "A fish with a jetpack."
no
#MakeMantaLasersGreatAgain2k17
stop

literally i was just thinking to myself how dopey people won't like manta or be "disappointed" because he doesn't have "cool lasers" like starfire or some other boring character. i was literally just thinking this before i refreshed this thread and saw your response. i mean just ponder that for a minute bro.

Marinjuana

Up rock incoming, ETA 5 minutes
In all of my noobness, I don't care for the character, but I know some sick shit is going to come out for him.

I've narrowed my character choices down to Robin and Darkseid.
Play Darkseid. He's the supreme overlord of Apokolips and you are like the supreme overlord of TYM so

gibster13

A fan of fans
no

stop

literally i was just thinking to myself how dopey people won't like manta or be "disappointed" because he doesn't have "cool lasers" like starfire or some other boring character. i was literally just thinking this before i refreshed this thread and saw your response. i mean just ponder that for a minute bro.
LOOOOOOLLLL

Dopey people.

His execution is fine, the trait is just shit. Don't flatter yourself.

He is rushdown, I don't want zoning lasers. Laser rekkas, shit like that.

Last edited:

Vigilante24

Beware my power, Red Lantern's Light
I'm only disappointed about 2 things:

1. Most of his helmets look terrible imo. As of right now it looks like I will only be using his default and maybe one other.
2. Despite all the gadgets he uses in his moveset, he isn't a gadget character. I was ready to finally main a char with access to unblockable interactable launchers lol. I need them because I'm bad. :(

Tweedy

Noob
I like how his trait is designed. The doritos and mountain dew mlg esports swag combos are there if you want to do them, but they're not required to get optimal damage. You will have to be good with his trait to squeeze out meterless damage, however.

EntropicByDesign

It's all so very confusing.
I think a lot of people's issue with trait is that it's wonky and feels odd. It's not that it's literally bad or anything, it just has a kind of weird clunkiness to.it, and at least for me, Manta is this fast, slick, smooth character.. until I hit trait.

Liking the character enormously, but his trait does feel weird.

dribirut

BLAK FELOW
I think trait is bad.. i know I'll get shit for it and I know it's still early but everyone is saying it's good because of its cancels on block.

Literally there is not a single cancel that is safe..90% of all characters can d2 the cancels for combos. They don't even have to react to do it, they can just OS d2..

And what does this "pressure" even lead to.. a safe mid into what? More interruptible pressure..

Again I am not saying the player as a whole is bad but his trait is just a gimmick as of now.. Only legit use is optimizing that one b1 string meterless punish

I think trait is bad.. i know I'll get shit for it and I know it's still early but everyone is saying it's good because of its cancels on block.

Literally there is not a single cancel that is safe..90% of all characters can d2 the cancels for combos. They don't even have to react to do it, they can just OS d2..

And what does this "pressure" even lead to.. a safe mid into what? More interruptible pressure..

Again I am not saying the player as a whole is bad but his trait is just a gimmick as of now.. Only legit use is optimizing that one b1 string meterless punish
you can always punish the os d2

RoboCop

The future of law enforcement.
Administrator
Premium Supporter
Yeah, I think Manta is going to have just a couple of issues until NRS fixes the stupid option-selects.

currently im just going for a lot of staggers into throws and anytime i think they will os i tele in a string on block. either than that i have been struggling to actually open people up with this character. still trying to figure out trait, anytime i go for it and I actually get it, im still barely if at all plus and if i get a non guaranteed string in im just back at where i started but have done 1.5% chip.
I think i need to start implementing bf1 a lot more in my offense

Just to be another voice weighing in:

Character is wonderful. Rope-a-dope footsie monster, very nice. F2xx is love.

Trait is very neat, opens much creativity. Trait cancel (fast fall) input is obnoxious (on an 8button stick, it's the button I've never pressed). Why not [hold d] ala Beetle flight, or [release 4] ala Arrow, or [press 4 again] like an on/off switch? Inputs for similar/same functions being arbitrarily different across the cast are funky. But, then again, in pretty sure this game was designed w controllers in mind, if that means anything.

REYTHEGREAT

How's everyone doing online? I haven't taken him online yet, in still getting my combos and tech down first

SunsetBlvd

Proven Nappa GOD, 100% VERIFIED Best Nappa NA
How's everyone doing online? I haven't taken him online yet, in still getting my combos and tech down first
i've been doing really good tbh, but i got him early two nights ago and played him in private sets for like the next 12 hours lol. i'm curious to see what changes as people get used to his strings. i think his zoning vs characters like canary is going to be a factor as well. missiles/the threat of harpoon/the threat of f2 is really oppressive in some cases.

You can actually hit him out of the tele when he's coming up out of the ground. Like half in the ground half out and you hit him. I did that to someone with Starfire when he tried to punish a projectile.

B. Shazzy

NRS shill #42069
real talk this character only opens u up if ur trash

So the ability to teleport punish interactable usage on reaction is godlike. Very Martian Manhunter like. :cool:
lul u wish bro mmh teleport is 10fs faster and not trash priority so dont compare him to this ocean dumpster character

gdlk man but u know just downplaying acfording to legends like tweedy man

Last edited: