A fan of fans
First impressions

Pros

This character has a great neutral
Very good strings
Good staggers
Decent damage

Cons
In my opinion, an awful trait in terms of reward for execution. This will probs change in time but at the moment, apart from swag.

"I just don't like his trait at all

First impressions

Pros

This character has a great neutral
Very good strings
Good staggers
Decent damage

Cons
In my opinion, an awful trait in terms of reward for execution. This will probs change in time but at the moment, apart from swag.

"I just don't like his trait at all

Yea I really don't like the trait. I'm sure people will find some great stuff with it but I really don't like how it feels.

RoboCop

The future of law enforcement.
Administrator
Premium Supporter
Yeah, I kind of despise his trait, but it's too early to make a final call. It seems way wonkier than Hawkgirl's.

Also, is it true that you can beat all of his staggers just by mashing? So like, f2, f21, and f213 staggers are all useless? Please tell me I'm misinterpreting that information.

Blade4693

VIVIVI
This is kind of crazy. When I first saw this guy as a stage transition and people were begging for him I was kind of like wut...why? Then when we saw the silhouette I was certain it was a red herring and still not all to excited. Then in the actual reveal trailer I was still unsure. The end was hype but again I wasn't about to be excited by a win animation...

Then I get my hands on him and I f****** love this guy lol im not really coming up with anything fantastic with him but damn if I wasn't having an absolute blast playing around with him yesterday trying to figure him out. I am pure a** at this game but I might practice him a bit more and try playing some online games for fun. This is the one character in the game where when im playing him I genuinely want to invest some time into him and gitgud lol

The Fulgore-esque hype beams are the cherry on top.

HeroesNZ

Baconlord's Billionaire Sugar Daddy
Yeah, I kind of despise his trait, but it's too early to make a final call. It seems way wonkier than Hawkgirl's.

Also, is it true that you can beat all of his staggers just by mashing? So like, f2, f21, and f213 staggers are all useless? Please tell me I'm misinterpreting that information.
Only characters with 9f or faster mids that start with a back input can. So the only characters who can relatively safely are traited Batman, Supergirl and Firestorm. Supes can with B2 but it's unsafe and can be baited and punished.

RoboCop

Administrator
Premium Supporter
Only characters with 9f or faster mids that start with a back input can. So the only characters who can relatively safely are traited Batman, Supergirl and Firestorm. Supes can with B2 but it's unsafe and can be baited and punished.
Is there any reason it only applies to mids and not lows or overheads? Like, if Cold mashes d1 (while holding down/back), won't that auto-punish?

HeroesNZ

Baconlord's Billionaire Sugar Daddy
Is there any reason it only applies to mids and not lows or overheads? Like, if Cold mashes d1 (while holding down/back), won't that auto-punish?
For the F21/F213 stagger they have to use a back input or else they'll get hit by the OH.

It doesn't have to be a mid but there aren't any OHs fast enough and the only lows fast enough are Batman's and GL's 9f B1s. Batman's B1 gets beaten by J3 Cancel and GL's either goes underneath or gets hit depending on how fast they're mashing. F2 Rocket or even F21 Tele will hit mashers.

For the F2/F21 stagger they can mash D1 or whatever though.

RoboCop

Administrator
Premium Supporter
For the F21/F213 stagger they have to use a back input or else they'll get hit by the OH.

It doesn't have to be a mid but there aren't any OHs fast enough and the only lows fast enough are Batman's and GL's 9f B1s. Batman's B1 gets beaten by J3 Cancel and GL's either goes underneath or gets hit depending on how fast they're mashing. F2 Rocket or even F21 Tele will hit mashers.

For the F2/F21 stagger they can mash D1 or whatever though.
Ah gotcha, yeah, that's what I mean. If I want to trip them up by doing like f213, f213, f2-throw; that won't work if they're mashing because the throw will be automatically punished.

Blade4693

VIVIVI
Ok serious question, for some reason my ex missiles don't want to combo, wtf am I doing wrong? I am inputting them early and they come out and launch the opponent for the combo, but the combo counter is resetting when they hit which tells me something isn't right.

HELP MEEEEEEEE NRS GAWDS

gibster13

A fan of fans
I wish his trait was something else, can't help it. I just despise it, it heavily puts me off the character because it feels like I have to use it, even though I don't see why it would be any good to go for ?

I wish his trait was something like creating tsunamis, cuz y the fuk not m8

gibster13

A fan of fans
Ok serious question, for some reason my ex missiles don't want to combo, wtf am I doing wrong? I am inputting them early and they come out and launch the opponent for the combo, but the combo counter is resetting when they hit which tells me something isn't right.

HELP MEEEEEEEE NRS GAWDS
If you mean stringxxdb2, his strings don't have much hitadvantage, so only a few strings actually combo into db2. B22xxdb2 does, s2d3xxdb2 does etc. F21 doesn't (I wish it did ngl) 123 doesn't

Blade4693

VIVIVI
If you mean stringxxdb2, his strings don't have much hitadvantage, so only a few strings actually combo into db2. B22xxdb2 does, s2d3xxdb2 does etc. F21 doesn't (I wish it did ngl) 123 doesn't
That is probably my problem then. Ill try them with those strings as I was trying with the ones that apparently don't work lol awesome. Thanks for the reply!

i played him for about 2 hours yesterday, I freaking love him. I think Im gonna be playing only Manta for a while. His trait was wierd at first but once I realized you can just constantly j2 whilst doing it it got so much better. His gear is also some of the best Ive seen in game.

I won't mourn not having f213 block staggers. I'll take my free on block string meter and be happy. It's still an amazing string that you can throw out in the neutral with often 0 consequence and just get free meter, and occasionally confirm into damage.

Trait is definitely tricky. I immediately tried to see if I could bait and whiff punish AA's with it like Blue Beetle can and you really can't due to the recovery and speed.

I would definitely like to find a use for it outside of combos.

RNLDRGN

RONALD ROGAN
Everything about him is so awesome except for his trait. It's wonky, awkward, and difficult to use properly and doesn't reward with much more damage. Sure someone will get nasty with it and have great setups, but it'll never be as simple or likely as effective as J2+Bats or F23-Derp.

I do love his neutral though. Hit and run style is fun.

Cashual

PSN: Cansuela
How about GL with the low b1?

RoboCop

Administrator
Premium Supporter
b11u3~bf2 seems like a mostly-safe midscreen option. On hit, it deals a nice chunk; on whiff, Manta speeds away across the screen to avoid retaliation.

Cashual

PSN: Cansuela

HELP MEEEEEEEE NRS GAWDS
Man you are bad lol. Jk man

Simply put, the start up on rockets/mb rockets is relatively slow and the hit advantage on most strings simply isn't high enough to guarantee the rockets for full combo so the counter resets. You can put the dummy to auto block and see that after a landed 123, the AI can block the canceled rockets.

RoboCop

Administrator
Premium Supporter
Man, his quotes are definitely shit tier, unfortunately. "Have you ever been gutted before?". What? Of course not, you big dumb dildo.