What's new

Black Manta General Discussion "I brought a hook to hang you from."

B. Shazzy

NRS shill #42069
u know what else sucks when you want to do unclashable damage and your only launcher into B3 is slow ass clashable slow button xx mb rocket launcher

so what are u guise thinking lets just hope off the dlc bandwagon run back to BraindeadFire or whats the plan. no way nubcakes isnt gonna 3-0 us again using trashta lul

Tweedy

Noob
Manta just seems like a really strong rushdown character to me. He has a mid and jump ins that work from halfscreen, his walkspeed is like Catwoman's, he doesn't have the typical 8-11 frame advancing mid but playing footsies with 123 and b11 is fine. Up close his mids are very hit confirmable and safe. Even his mids that aren't hit confirmable or don't have great cancel advantage like 213 or 33, are very safe and do around 15% each. D1 manta ray is one of the best d1 specials in the game.

He doesn't have Flash's mix ups but he has much better neutral and more potential than some are giving him credit for, with instant float.

After playing characters with bad anti airs for so long, I can't explain how much I love his d2, btw. It's basically Aquaman's but with a different animation.

This is just my day 3 or whatever assessment. Not sure if he's top tier or mid tier or whatever. I'm glad he's in the game and if he's bad then i'm sure he'll be top tier broke after some patches. If he's broke then vice versa.

Reauxbot

You think you bad? You aint bad.
I'm having huge success with whiff punishing. All his buttons are fitted to whiff punish from anywhere on the screen. If anything he gets rewarded for patience. And you can Meter build very well if you play it smart.
Just because he's not braindead doesn't mean he sucks or is a bill.

Baiting and punishing with f2 is legit. You can full combo off it or just f213 or f21 xx bf1 for chip. Corner carry is crazy.

1232 and 123 xx mbf3 seems good as a mixup. 123~2 is a gap but that's why you can cancel with armor on the OH.

You can j3 xx bf1 for almost 70 chip damage from max range and it's pretty safe.

D1 on hit jails into 123 and you can cancel into bf1 for chip or full combo if they're pressing buttons.

You can combo into background bounces from almost full screen because his combos carry the opponent so far.

Briggs8417

Salt Proprietor of TYM
So I've been trying to do the float cancel combos and when I hit the j2's after the float I can't get the missiles to combo. Someone told me that if I just hit up after my starter I can IA float? Can someone confirm this for me, I can't right now because I'm at work, and I just would like some confirmation on what I could be doing wrong. If anyone needs video to see what I'm talking about I'll go ahead and post it up as an edit when I can.

edit: @big_aug https://twitter.com/Joker8417/status/908557744348655617 this is what I mean.

Last edited:
So I've been trying to do the float cancel combos and when I hit the j2's after the float I can't get the missiles to combo. Someone told me that if I just hit up after my starter I can IA float? Can someone confirm this for me, I can't right now because I'm at work, and I just would like some confirmation on what I could be doing wrong. If anyone needs video to see what I'm talking about I'll go ahead and post it up as an edit when I can.
Do b22 instead of b2 and it's not bad

supernumian

Triborg Enthusiast
I still have problem doing the float cancel j2 torpedo and can't figure out and explain what I'm doing wrong.
It's frustrating and keep me away to pick Manta, even if I like him.

I still have problem doing the float cancel j2 torpedo and can't figure out and explain what I'm doing wrong.
It's frustrating and keep me away to pick Manta, even if I like him.
Those combos aren't necessary. They get you some extra meterless damage but it isn't that much. Those j2s and rockets scale the shit out of the damage, so not using them isn't that much worse.

Marinjuana

Up rock incoming, ETA 5 minutes
Those combos aren't necessary. They get you some extra meterless damage but it isn't that much. Those j2s and rockets scale the shit out of the damage, so not using them isn't that much worse.
Resets my friend. There's too much reset potential with this character involving J2 and J2~torpedo that I can't imagine it won't be a great part of his toolkit going forward.

SunsetBlvd

Proven Nappa GOD, 100% VERIFIED Best Nappa NA
Manta just seems like a really strong rushdown character to me. He has a mid and jump ins that work from halfscreen, his walkspeed is like Catwoman's, he doesn't have the typical 8-11 frame advancing mid but playing footsies with 123 and b11 is fine. Up close his mids are very hit confirmable and safe. Even his mids that aren't hit confirmable or don't have great cancel advantage like 213 or 33, are very safe and do around 15% each. D1 manta ray is one of the best d1 specials in the game.

He doesn't have Flash's mix ups but he has much better neutral and more potential than some are giving him credit for, with instant float.

After playing characters with bad anti airs for so long, I can't explain how much I love his d2, btw. It's basically Aquaman's but with a different animation.

This is just my day 3 or whatever assessment. Not sure if he's top tier or mid tier or whatever. I'm glad he's in the game and if he's bad then i'm sure he'll be top tier broke after some patches. If he's broke then vice versa.
i know it's early, but so far in your experience what do you feel are his good/bad mu's?

dribirut

BLAK FELOW
Lol you guys are in for a rude awakening when you play a good player that knows the mu. He's just gonna take the hit for each mb laser and punish for 40% every single time you do non mb..

Also this rocket/ trait shannugains is going to be blown up so hard..

Stilllllllll.. I'm not saying he's awful just that the way we are playing him right now is completely gimmicky and not going to work in a month or less

Reauxbot

You think you bad? You aint bad.
Lol you guys are in for a rude awakening when you play a good player that knows the mu. He's just gonna take the hit for each mb laser and punish for 40% every single time you do non mb..

Stilllllllll.. I'm not saying he's awful just that the way we are playing him right now is completely gimmicky and not going to work in a month or less
Go take your negative fuckery elsewhere.
You must not know what patience, reads and whiff punishing is.

SunsetBlvd

Proven Nappa GOD, 100% VERIFIED Best Nappa NA

played plenty of this. i stopped doing his gimmicks on day 1 b/c that's not how you learn a character. manta has all the tools to compete. where he falls on the tier lists i have no idea, but all i'm reading in your post is that gimmicks don't work on good players, which i already knew, and that a new character takes more than 3 days to learn.

dribirut

BLAK FELOW
played plenty of this. i stopped doing his gimmicks on day 1 b/c that's not how you learn a character. manta has all the tools to compete. where he falls on the tier lists i have no idea, but all i'm reading in your post is that gimmicks don't work on good players, which i already knew, and that a new character takes more than 3 days to learn.
I completely agree. My point is only that what people are posting on here that "works" is just simply not true.

I am not stating the characters tier position just trying to clarify some misinformation going around here.. for all I know he's still a very good character but people need to stop with the "breh his lasers soooooooooo good and trait pressure is legit as fuck maaaan, anyone saying his trait sucks is ignorant"