What's new

Black Manta General Discussion "I brought a hook to hang you from."

RoboCop

The future of law enforcement.
Administrator
Premium Supporter
His dashes and walk speed need to be talked about. In combination they might be the best in the game, if not 2nd to Catwoman. If you're getting zoned you really just need to work on yourself. It's not the character's fault.
Not only is his forward dash amazing, but it looks almost identical to his f2 (the f2 stance switches).

B. Shazzy

NRS shill #42069
u guise really think manta is good? i mean hes not immediate joker tier but like just wait a week and then come back lul... kinda whatever

Taking some notes, still alot to lab out:

2d3 xx db2 combos and has enough hit stun to forward dash and jail into standing 1

You can usually get alot more off anything that would combo into db2, but in the case of anything after standing 2, it doesn't appear Manta has any options to combo into flight cancel, so db2 into pressure seems like the best option.

Wuuzie

Noob
Hi, having trouble with his meterless midscreen trait combos, if I do b11u3xx4 j2 into j3 into air harpoon, the air harpoon doesn't seem to come out, anyone have this issue or am I just missing something here? Thanks for any help.

Take$$$

gotta take it to make it
Being -1 or -2 not meaning anything in this game feels super true with this character. Wow.

EntropicByDesign

It's all so very confusing.
His dashes and walk speed need to be talked about. In combination they might be the best in the game, if not 2nd to Catwoman. If you're getting zoned you really just need to work on yourself. It's not the character's fault.

This. I was kinda blown away by just how fast he effectively covers space.

I think people are looking for weird ambiguous crossups and setups and guaranteed this's and that's, and while that's all super important and a part of any character, Im thinking he's going to lean on just playing a really solid neutral, harrassing from his own effective range, which is quite large, and using his wild movement to create opportunities.

Honestly, Im getting very Karin-esque vibes from him with what seems, this early, to be amazing movement and solid, long range normals/strings/etc to harass.

If we build a solid base for pressure and chip on top of his speed and range, I feel like we have a really cool character that could be a nightmare in the right hands.

Teejay's stuff to build bar and do chip is really quite interesting. It remains to be seen how it will develop and what will and won't be practical, but I can see possibilities for darting in and out, applying that on-block chip and pressure, then retreating to safety.

Obviously this is all pure speculation right now, but I'm wondering if he's not going to be a relatively defensive character that picks his moments to go snakeshit crazy, between his primary game of setting up whiff punishes and controlling that kill zone in front of him.

I'm bad,so fuck if I know.

God Confirm

We're all from Earthrealm. If not, cool pic brah.
I was only trying to inform him why it was a gimmick and there were other people too
but he said it wasn't real before he even posted it, and in his first response your post he said the same thing again and said it might have holes, but it doesn't have to be guaranteed to be useable, and he said that he was also just looking into the potential of it

so it's established that its gimmicky but interesting stuff so lets go from there imo

HeroesNZ

Baconlord's Billionaire Sugar Daddy
His pressure is super good in the corner. Here's an example:
https://mobile.twitter.com/HeroesNZ3/status/907791974538907648

J3 Cancel even at max height is slightly plus. They can D1 interrupt a follow-up but all you basically have to do is take a step back and F2 since you out-range them.

There actually isn't much you can do to blow up B2 4 J3 Cancel, even more so since you can also go into B22 so they're expecting the OH. They can D2 interrupt F21 4 J3 but again, you can condition them with the safe OH.

pogse

Ruthlesss Mayhem
I like spamming rockets when the opponent is cornered (jump in range), they have options against it I'm sure. just really fun to do. need to find the whiff punishing string, B11 gets hit a lot.

but he said it wasn't real before he even posted it, and in his first response your post he said the same thing again and said it might have holes, but it doesn't have to be guaranteed to be useable, and he said that he was also just looking into the potential of it

so it's established that its gimmicky but interesting stuff so lets go from there imo
He said you can counter every counter on a read. I gave up on explaining why thats not true and then you come saying some rando stuff how it doesn't matter

HeroesNZ

Baconlord's Billionaire Sugar Daddy
so what's the consensus on his gameplan? Mid-range character with solid pressure?
Pretty much. His float pressure is definitely a thing. The rockets, not so much.

Only way I see the rockets being useful in pressure is if you do a knockdown like F213 and then MB rocket. Then you can follow up on it as it flies towards the opponent

They're still a really good footsies tool though.