What's new

Black Adam General Discussion Thread

Error

DF2+R2
Yea i tried to find some innovative ways to cause it but the 223 is only as good when it hits grounded =/
I think you can also dash after a 223 in the corner and NJ and depending on timing it crosses up.

Also, 3 causes similar reversed inputs in the corner with dashing in, it can be done in combos too but the timing is weird.

Error

DF2+R2
I've also been including more background bounces in my combos which allows me to save trait. Like B23 1xxBGB J2 B23 ender does comparable damage. D1 becomes much more dangerous after B23 on block as well because it combos into BGB, although it's unsafe.

A New Angel Is Advent

mutton basher
I've also been including more background bounces in my combos which allows me to save trait. Like B23 1xxBGB J2 B23 ender does comparable damage. D1 becomes much more dangerous after B23 on block as well because it combos into BGB, although it's unsafe.
You can add some damage after a bounce combo by ending with j.3 DK b23 ender if you are using b3 after the bounce

shinobispectre

Heart of A Champion, Skill of a Noob :P
What are his weaknesses? Personally I feel his anti air lackluster but I play Shazam so I'm not best judge for anti airs. I know it's not his main game but still a weakness. His screen control also wobbles on certain portions of the screen without meter.

EGP Wonder_Chef

Official Quan Chi Nerf Demander™
What are his weaknesses? Personally I feel his anti air lackluster but I play Shazam so I'm not best judge for anti airs. I know it's not his main game but still a weakness. His screen control also wobbles on certain portions of the screen without meter.
I think his d2 is a really really good AA. One of the best. It just takes time to learn it's timing.

If I had to say something, it's the fact that his footsies are sort of slow. His B2 is good, but when you have moves like Superman F2, Aquaman B1, etc. that are like twice as fast and further, it gets tough.

A New Angel Is Advent

mutton basher
Most people will say his lack of lows. I think his biggest weakness is the top right portion of the screen.

Error

DF2+R2
I think his d2 is a really really good AA. One of the best. It just takes time to learn it's timing.

If I had to say something, it's the fact that his footsies are sort of slow. His B2 is good, but when you have moves like Superman F2, Aquaman B1, etc. that are like twice as fast and further, it gets tough.
I don't think it's very good against long reach jump in moves like most character's J3s, at most it usually trades. I agree with the footsies part though, he has to be on point with his whiff punishes and his dashes, especially now that his back dash is ass.

shinobispectre

Okay newbie question is this just me but does his mb Lightning Cage still flip people? I feel that messes my combos when I practice. Granted I've only seen this a few times and the most recent was a Black Adam mirror match... Not sure how often that happens.
Based on my early on bad habits I'd say
- after B23 on block practice follow up options like D1 palpatine, D1 grab, D1 trait 2 or trait B23
- try to avoid using MB black magic in combos
- use the down back version of divekick in corner combos
- don't use meterless divekick
- use lots of trait cancels, remember throw checks in blockstrings and occasionally tack on a lightning shot at the end to add a low
-palpatine can punish distanced moves that recover faster than B2 and that are farther than 22 (such as a blocked lanterns might)
- divekicks can punish some zoning like superman air eye laser or lantern air oa, practice jump timing to dodge and punish
- forward throw gives a taunt
-j.1 for air to air, j.2 for air to ground/crossup. J.3 confirmed to divekick for damage
Sorry this is old somewhat but going over the basics again. Why not use MB Black Magic? I rarely meter burn anything as I'm just practicing a few combos right now. They all pretty much just utilize trait cancels and 22 BM b3 j3xxFarDK b23u1+3

Okay newbie question is this just me but does his mb Lightning Cage still flip people? I feel that messes my combos when I practice. Granted I've only seen this a few times and the most recent was a Black Adam mirror match... Not sure how often that happens.

A New Angel Is Advent

mutton basher

Sorry this is old somewhat but going over the basics again. Why not use MB Black Magic? I rarely meter burn anything as I'm just practicing a few combos right now. They all pretty much just utilize trait cancels and 22 BM b3 j3xxFarDK b23u1+3

Black magic is definitely part of his easier combo routes but the damage scaling is really bad. So bad that you'll get less damage and use meter than you would for a meterless. There are still times when it's useful, but it's better of getting in the habit of optimizing damage and saving meter.

Lightning cage causes crossup based on the distance where you hit them. You have a long delay before followup so just wait to see where they're falling.

shinobispectre

Black magic is definitely part of his easier combo routes but the damage scaling is really bad. So bad that you'll get less damage and use meter than you would for a meterless. There are still times when it's useful, but it's better of getting in the habit of optimizing damage and saving meter.

Lightning cage causes crossup based on the distance where you hit them. You have a long delay before followup so just wait to see where they're falling.
Good to know. So yeah keeping Shazam as my main but trying to use Black Adam more. Going for those neat hero card icons. Feels hard to play general movement wise. I don't know how to explain it it just feels weird. I'll just watch vids to see how people do it.

shinobispectre

The zoning he does, no wonder he's top tier.
His zoning seems lacking though. No real midscreen past black magic that I know of, without meter at least. Lighting is so easy to jump over which I guess is the point since it hits low. But I feel like air dashers would blow him up. His spacing control is more player reliant than himself as a character. Past B2 I don't know of any decent speed normals he would. Maybe B1 but I don't see anyone using it that much. It's more his damage which complements his zoning that makes him shine in my opinion. I'm still trying to learn him but it gets annoying at time his weird combos. Fun to play though. Love him saying SHAZAM during his throw. Just amplifies the cool factor he has.

VenomX-90

"On your Knees!"
His zoning seems lacking though. No real midscreen past black magic that I know of, without meter at least. Lighting is so easy to jump over which I guess is the point since it hits low. But I feel like air dashers would blow him up. His spacing control is more player reliant than himself as a character. Past B2 I don't know of any decent speed normals he would. Maybe B1 but I don't see anyone using it that much. It's more his damage which complements his zoning that makes him shine in my opinion. I'm still trying to learn him but it gets annoying at time his weird combos. Fun to play though. Love him saying SHAZAM during his throw. Just amplifies the cool factor he has.
Yeah to me his gameplay looks similar to Doctor Doom from Marvel series, since they both use Lightning based attacks. The black magice he does can be a real pain in the ass since he can be far away and ppl can spam the shit out of it if you dont block etc.

gpmoney

CORN | gpmoney. Saltier than a bag of chips.
Any Black Adam players on XBL Wana help teach a NW main how to play this match up?

Any black Adam mains on XBXL. I main him but am having some trouble with some timing on his combos, and some help would be more than appreciated.

Espio

Kokomo
I think I might try to pick this character back up again. Nobody seems to play him anymore, which is unfortunate.

Absolutely love his walk speed.