What's new

BigE announces third person shooter, "Gears of War" coming to Winter Brawl 8

LEGI0N47

I like to play bad characters
What is your opinion on the down but not out and the locust being gone because this has really Effected the community. I really doubt they will take out the stopping power for the next gears of war game bro. Especially when people can fly is not making the mechanics with the game no more.
I have no problem with no active but It just wouldn't be a gears of war game without it. I would say just make the mechanics better then gears of war 3 and not judgment. I can deal with that. And they can put no active or put active on the power weapons and not the weapons you start with. Great idea huh? So people wouldn't complain when they are doing a shotgun battle. Do you like this idea? Be honest. Just trying to help the community.

Overpass In judgment was great. I can give them that.

I love this game with a passion son. You just don't know. I mostly always come first place on my team anyway. But judgement is trash. I wonder how many people are playing it?
I hate them not being there. Executions are my single favorite thing to do in the game next to maybe Boltok poping or grenade tagging people. It did make a massive impact on the hardcore communitiy and even the casual one. I want them back everyone does. They claim they wanted a fast game with no DBNO and faster spawns. The objective being E-sports and more people wanting to play it due to faster paced gameplay. There are so many things they fucked up that it's hard to say which it was that made it fall short. The top of the list for me is: Terrible maps and gametypes, lethal grenades at spawn, broken melee, stims. See if those things weren't there perhaps we'd be more accepting to no DBNO or Locust since it would be a fixed Gears as far as weapon balance. But then other things are different too like verticallity, movement speed etc. I'll tell you how it affected the community. There are currently 3X the amount or more people playing GOW3 as GOWJ. I only play Judgment with a group of friends for private games. Other than that I play GOW3.

That's not a bad idea, i've seen it before also. Just keep it out all together. The power weapons in GOWJ are overall more powerful than previously. That's how they got around it and it works well.

And you mean Overrun. Yes it's a blast. Probobly one of the better game modes of that game.

Ra Helios

Omnipotent God-like Selina Kyle Player
100% without a doubt Epic made the multi-player side. Rod left the company months before it even came out and was not involved much. Quin DelHoyo was lead on its MP, now it's Pete Kneply. You can also lump Jim Brown in there. They still run the MP for that game to this day. Go over to Epic and ask or tweet him, it's true.

The mechanics of battling are similar in both games. It's just that in one you have more margin for error than the other is all I'm saying.

BTW you can tell when a noob is trying to size you up in his crosshairs and you take less time by simply centering him and popping that dome. It's quite satisfying. I like it over the barrel direction because it is more consistant and there is no need to pop shot because the spread is the same hip or hard aimed. But it does produce some easy mode rifling and blind firing on cover though.
Dude I am not denying Epic games created the multiplayer. I am talking about the mechanics in the game. I really don't think Epic games is not that stupid to downgrade their game and put a reticule on the screen. The game was already finish when people can fly left the company. So they have to give to the Epic game designer where they left off. I know that but why have it in the middle of the screen when you can just guess. More satisfying and not handicap. The mechanics is not similar. The mechanics is similar to number 1 and not 3. When I first played it. It reminded me of gow1 but more noobish. I Also was watching a video that states the rod furgusson was watching people can fly and see if they didn't change to much of the mechanics. also people can fly got some of their ideas from Gearsopedia. A SHIT SITE!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ra Helios

I hate them not being there. Executions are my single favorite thing to do in the game next to maybe Boltok poping or grenade tagging people. It did make a massive impact on the hardcore communitiy and even the casual one. I want them back everyone does. They claim they wanted a fast game with no DBNO and faster spawns. The objective being E-sports and more people wanting to play it due to faster paced gameplay. There are so many things they fucked up that it's hard to say which it was that made it fall short. The top of the list for me is: Terrible maps and gametypes, lethal grenades at spawn, broken melee, stims. See if those things weren't there perhaps we'd be more accepting to no DBNO or Locust since it would be a fixed Gears as far as weapon balance. But then other things are different too like verticallity, movement speed etc. I'll tell you how it affected the community. There are currently 3X the amount or more people playing GOW3 as GOWJ. I only play Judgment with a group of friends for private games. Other than that I play GOW3.

That's not a bad idea, i've seen it before also. Just keep it out all together. The power weapons in GOWJ are overall more powerful than previously. That's how they got around it and it works well.

And you mean Overrun. Yes it's a blast. Probobly one of the better game modes of that game.
What is your gamertag? I would like to play with you sometimes because Mostly my friends play injustice. I need some people playing gow 3. I didn't play gears of war 3 in a while so. Plus I will be recording for my gow 3 montage :) I have a HD PVR. I was about to make one previously but Megaupload got shut down with all my clips on their :( Last time I play Gears of war 3 the opposite team had all retro and saw off and we were getting destroyed and I refuse to use those weapons. But I had to switch my hammerburst to the retro lol. Plus I was carrying my team. Also I was curious why they brought back the horrible melee. Dude Im telling you. People can fly created the mechanics. Epic games is not that stupid to bring back something that was terrible and broken. I love using Locust bro. Plus Cog and Cog wasn't cutting it. Sometimes I got confuse who was on my team and that shouldn't have happen. Gow3 is still push 5 or 6 thousand people. Last time I play gowj there were only 500 people playing TDm and 100 people playing Domination. Is Domination really that terrible? Man I just wish they bring back Submission, Guardian. That make gears unique then the other games then gowj trying to me like everybody else. I really prefer the d-pad switching instead of the Y switching because the Y switching is very limited. The D-pad switching is better. You have your pistol, smoke,Gnasher and Lancer.

LEGI0N47

I like to play bad characters
Dude I am not denying Epic games created the multiplayer. I am talking about the mechanics in the game. I really don't think Epic games is not that stupid to downgrade their game and put a reticule on the screen. The game was already finish when people can fly left the company. So they have to give to the Epic game designer where they left off. I know that but why have it in the middle of the screen when you can just guess. More satisfying and not handicap. The mechanics is not similar. The mechanics is similar to number 1 and not 3. When I first played it. It reminded me of gow1 but more noobish. I Also was watching a video that states the rod furgusson was watching people can fly and see if they didn't change to much of the mechanics. also people can fly got some of their ideas from Gearsopedia. A SHIT SITE!!!!!!!!!!!!
The first time they made a statment about the on screen crosshair they claimed they put it there mainly for the gnasher because people would complain that their shots were sponging or not doing full damage. A lot of times it is because people actually miss or don't get a solid shot, just half the pattern. So they put it on there so that you can see where your shots are going with the goal being less complaining about sponging. Is that BS? Maybe, but that's what they said. There have been tons of ideas, such as not having one in ranked matches, once you reach a certain level is goes away, to it being togglable as a prefference.

Haha. I know a guy who edits one of the Gears wiki's. He's a super nice guy and puts us to shame in his love for the game. But none of them are a one man deal.

Ra Helios

The first time they made a statment about the on screen crosshair they claimed they put it there mainly for the gnasher because people would complain that their shots were sponging or not doing full damage. A lot of times it is because people actually miss or don't get a solid shot, just half the pattern. So they put it on there so that you can see where your shots are going with the goal being less complaining about sponging. Is that BS? Maybe, but that's what they said. There have been tons of ideas, such as not having one in ranked matches, once you reach a certain level is goes away, to it being togglable as a prefference.

Haha. I know a guy who edits one of the Gears wiki's. He's a super nice guy and puts us to shame in his love for the game. But none of them are a one man deal.
That was a bad move and a bad business move and now look at the results. Nobody plays the piece a shit. cross hair. really?!!!!!!!!!! Im not talk about wiki. Im talking about gearsopedia. they are a bunch of flamers. my montage was one of the most anticipating montage on gearsopedia. but it never gotten to see of light because of mega upload

Lol I went to the gym and came back, I'll read this later.

Luck is not skill brah, consistency is. He literally just said Gears of War 3 took more skill because it takes luck to aim and blind fire with the Sniper, this dude is funny.

And "hardcore veterans" didn't start with Gears of War 3, they started with the first :).

You're funny my dude.

Ra Helios

Lol I went to the gym and came back, I'll read this later.

Luck is not skill brah, consistency is. He literally just said Gears of War 3 took more skill because it takes luck to aim and blind fire with the Sniper, this dude is funny.

And "hardcore veterans" didn't start with Gears of War 3, they started with the first :).

You're funny my dude.
then when gears of war 3 came out. people say it is the best in the gears of war franchise. When Judgement Came out. It is shit. There is no skill in Judgement. The game is basically handicapping you on how you play when gears of war 3 don't and you call that skill

Derptile

RIP Ex Smash
Deptile stinks at gears lol lets all play some customs soon
U flaming fuking wot m8?

During the 5-6 games we played with each other, I consistently placed top 2 on the team with a decent k/d of 2-5.0. While you and your lackluster play style barely managed to stay in the top 3 and even once went negative, why do you think I never play with you anymore lmao. So don't you dare come at me considering you're an average player at best.

lol jk, you always join when I'm playing with my xenophobic friends, and you're above decent at best ;)

SEV

Noob
as a former competitive gears pro I can sadly say I agree fully with this, the reason I left shooters for fighters was the communitie, although the "pro" community was a lot less asshole like the majority are just kids. As a pro in this community our team strived to set a good example and although it got better overall didn't. but I must say I miss team practice more than anything I dumped a lot of my life into gow1 and traveling for MLG before gow2 ruined the game :)
GoW 2 definately the best game in the series... what killed the game was the high amount of people that stopped playing because they couldn't adjust to the changes they made that made it a much better competitive game. So many people loved it when it first came out then when they couldn't repeat their tournament placings from the prior game they stopped playing. The game was perfect at title update 3, which MLG used, which fixed the hip fire shots hitting the ground. Then EPIC reacting to all the crybabies ruined the game in title update 4 which increased the firing rate, making it impossible to time shots, the most skillful component of the game, because you could fire too quickly. Then after TU5 came out they made it impossible to revert it to TU3 which is why the game was ultimately dropped from MLG. Real talk though the gears community is THE WORST.

Last edited:

Limelights

"The smart stuff"
I agree with the stim grenade and etc. you can body 9/10 people as well in gears of war 3. But playing judgement felt gears of war 1. Stiff and everything. Most people I talk. I even go to a welding school. People say the game movement don't move fluently as it did gears of war 3. Plus people can fly created the game not Epic. Plus it you try to make a game better you don't downgrade it to a piece of shit you call judgement l. No active, and etc. they took out almost everything that made the gears of war franchise so great. That is why it never did so good in the first place and that is why the game is dead. Also if you look at gears of war 1 - 3 each game epic games created the movement gotten better. Gears of war j is the only game the movement has gotten worse. People can fly made this game wall bounce friendly and not movement friendly. So gears of war 3 is just a way better experience if you want to experience what a gears game really is. Gow j is like number 1 but a little bit better. To be honest this should how it goes.

Gow1,gowj,gow2, gow3

Gears of war 3 is the best you will have in a gears of war franchise
What does going to a welding school have to do with how you perceive the game's balance?

You're wrong. GoW1 is better for competitive play, balance-wise, than any of the other games.

The starting weapon damage was perfect. The shotgun and lancer were weak enough to encourage team-firing.

You complain about active downs with the sniper but you do realize it's a POWER weapon, right? It needed that mechanic, otherwise it's near useless.

Most of the inconsistencies you speak of disappear when the game is played on LAN, including the sticky walls.

SEV

Noob
I'm not saying Judgment is a better game. But I am saying that the skill gap is higher in that game than GOW3 for gnasher battles. The slightly slower rate of fire on the gnasher, no actives, and the slightly slower movement mean there is less room for forgivness if you miss. In 3 you can basically wobble and spam gnasher for half your fights only half assed aiming and win. You will fail on that in Judgment and will also fail if you bounce to get close and don't get a GIB or miss a shot because the delay is enough that you can not fire before they body you for being dumb. You get away with that kind of stuff in 3 all the time.

the on screen crosshair makes no difference if you're a vet. I don't even notice it's there and when the game first came out I found it to be unreliable when trying it out just to see how it worked. Center screen is reliable. If you're a seasoned Gears vet no noob should get the drop on you because of his on screen reticle when it comes to shotguns. If you're running straight at someone with a rifle and they are decent it wouldn't matter if it was there anyway.
GoW 3 still required more skill than GoW J gnasher. GoW J gnasher has a tighter spread, more consistent, and has more static strength in place of active reloads. The issue with that is that it is just too good, 2-3 shots depending on range from a good distance, and firing speed is still too fast for that to be taken into account for gnasher battles and was only done to make rifles more viable in the close range. And at the end of the day it didn't matter because all the rifles were overpowered. When the game could have had a competitive future all the top teams were running all rifles until they tried to make rules restricting them but the maps were too large/campy to have gnasher/snub only be viable. Bottom line GoW J was terrible and almost everyone good stopped playing it almost immediately.

Syknis

King of the Kiddie Pool
U flaming fuking wot m8?

During the 5-6 games we played with each other, I consistently placed top 2 on the team with a decent k/d of 2-5.0. While you and your lackluster play style barely managed to stay in the top 3 and even once went negative, why do you think I never play with you anymore lmao. So don't you dare come at me considering you're an average player at best.
lol jk, you always join when I'm playing with my xenophobic friends, and you're above decent at best ;)
Why is everyone trying to measure d's lol lets all just get a tym gears 3 match going.
Derptile Karried SEV Ra Helios

Ra Helios

What does going to a welding school have to do with how you perceive the game's balance?

You're wrong. GoW1 is better for competitive play, balance-wise, than any of the other games.

The starting weapon damage was perfect. The shotgun and lancer were weak enough to encourage team-firing.

You complain about active downs with the sniper but you do realize it's a POWER weapon, right? It needed that mechanic, otherwise it's near useless.

Most of the inconsistencies you speak of disappear when the game is played on LAN, including the sticky walls.
Did you know that epic games took it out when gears of war 2,3 was release. Why because it was unfair. How is it useless? Learn how to get a headshot scrub before you say something's useless. Saying gears of war 1 is competitive? That is a joke. Where the meat shield? Where is the mantel kick behind cover so noobs won't have to stay there for long. What type of skill is active down people each time you have a active reload with a sniper. A person that complaining about the active reload being gone is a straight scrub that can't even get a headshot. Gears of war movement is stiff. How is it competitive when gears of war 3 you can wobble your way out to get out in tight situation. The cover is system is broken. Gears of war 3 cover system is so much better and you can wall bounce consistently and not in a sticky motion. Playing offline mode still sticks. So you don't know what you are talking about. If gears of war is so great I wonder why epic never made number 3 like number 1. It make you wonder. The game was far from being balance with the sniper rifle. Active down all day. The shotgun and lancer are weak. When I shot with the shotgun point blank in gears of war 3 it will automatically gib the person without spunging so many times in number 1. Sorry that is not true. Nobody barely uses the lancer in that game. Gears of war 3. Alot of people use more lancer, hamerburst, and retro because of the stopping power. Instead of you rushing down people like a maniac. You will now have to be more careful of what you are doing which brings in more skill and your team has to do team work more so then gears of war1. Stopping power actually brings more skills in the game then not having it at all. Saying gears of war 1 is more competitive is a joke especially with the the active reload sniper rifle. If you cant get a headshot put THAT SHIT DOWN as the gears of war community say.

Last edited:

Limelights

"The smart stuff"
Did you know that epic games took it out when gears of war 2,3 was release. Why because it was unfair. How is it useless? Learn how to get a headshot scrub before you say something's useless. Saying gears of war 1 is competitive? That is a joke. Where the meat shield? Where is the mantel kick behind cover so noobs won't have to stay there for long. What type of skill is active down people each time you have a active reload with a sniper. A person that complaining about the active reload being gone is a straight scrub that can't even get a headshot. Gears of war movement is stiff. How is it competitive when gears of war 3 you can wobble your way out to get out in tight situation. The cover is system is broken. Gears of war 3 cover system is so much better and you can wall bounce consistently and not in a sticky motion. Playing offline mode still sticks. So you don't know what you are talking about. If gears of war is so great I wonder why epic never made number 3 like number 1. It make you wonder. The game was far from being balance with the sniper rifle. Active down all day. The shotgun and lancer are weak. When I shot with the shotgun point blank in gears of war 3 it will automatically gib the person without spunging so many times in number 1. Sorry that is not true. Nobody barely uses the lancer in that game. Gears of war 3. Alot of people use more lancer, hamerburst, and retro because of the stopping power. Instead of you rushing down people like a maniac. You will now have to be more careful of what you are doing which brings in more skill and your team has to do team work more so then gears of war1. Stopping power actually brings more skills in the game then not having it at all. Saying gears of war 1 is more competitive is a joke especially with the the active reload sniper rifle. If you cant get a headshot put THAT SHIT DOWN as the gears of war community say.
You can't just "get a headshot" with the sniper, there's limited auto-aim and you can't make accurate twitch movements with a console controller. I don't care who you think you are, or how many montages you've watched, but there is no one in any Gears game that can get enough headshots during a competitive match that will make the longshot worth grabbing over a torque bow or digger. And that's not only my opinion, the majority of competitive players thought the same thing. And if you hate the active sniper for being a one-shot weapon you have to hate the torque too.

The active sniper works out well in competitive play because you can still push if you have someone next to you to instant revive, so while the sniper is powerful, it doesn't promote campiness.

I don't think you read and understood my statement. I'm not arguing movement mechanics, i'm making points on weapon balance.

I'm not sure you understand what I mean when I say "competitive play". I'm talking about specific rule sets (like GoWNation rules and Hype rules). I'm not sure why you're talking about the Hammerburst and Retro. They were banned from use because they're overpowered and maps would become campy as a result ie. MLG Meadowlands for Hammerburst, maps like Mercy, Overpass, Sandbar and even Thrashball saw bans for how campy matches would get.

Stopping power and strong rifle damage will encourage teamwork and communication to an extent. Not with how strong they were in GoW3. One Lancer at the top of Thrashball stairs, up top on Mercy, outside in Hotel, on top of the hill in Trenches, anywhere there is a long distance between cover, can stop 2 people from pushing. It makes it unfavorable for a team with bigger numbers to push the enemy team, so people would wait for the round to end, and win via man-up.

Ra Helios

You can't just "get a headshot" with the sniper, there's limited auto-aim and you can't make accurate twitch movements with a console controller. I don't care who you think you are, or how many montages you've watched, but there is no one in any Gears game that can get enough headshots during a competitive match that will make the longshot worth grabbing over a torque bow or digger. And that's not only my opinion, the majority of competitive players thought the same thing. And if you hate the active sniper for being a one-shot weapon you have to hate the torque too.

The active sniper works out well in competitive play because you can still push if you have someone next to you to instant revive, so while the sniper is powerful, it doesn't promote campiness.

I don't think you read and understood my statement. I'm not arguing movement mechanics, i'm making points on weapon balance.

I'm not sure you understand what I mean when I say "competitive play". I'm talking about specific rule sets (like GoWNation rules and Hype rules). I'm not sure why you're talking about the Hammerburst and Retro. They were banned from use because they're overpowered and maps would become campy as a result ie. MLG Meadowlands for Hammerburst, maps like Mercy, Overpass, Sandbar and even Thrashball saw bans for how campy matches would get.

Stopping power and strong rifle damage will encourage teamwork and communication to an extent. Not with how strong they were in GoW3. One Lancer at the top of Thrashball stairs, up top on Mercy, outside in Hotel, on top of the hill in Trenches, anywhere there is a long distance between cover, can stop 2 people from pushing. It makes it unfavorable for a team with bigger numbers to push the enemy team, so people would wait for the round to end, and win via man-up.
I know about thrashball,mercy and the rifle mlg rules. Etc. Listen Iam. Beast with a sniper rifle competitive wise and casual wise. The reason why they don't use it competitive because they suck with it. I'm on a different level then them. This game isn't injustice or Mk where offline tourney dominate online people. It is a opposite and a total slotter. Me and my boy were playing quick match and we ran into competitive competition where we face all clan members. My friend was host so he has a good connection. Knowing me. I grab my sniper rifle And destroy them playing on a sd tv. All headshots mostly with my sniper. They were pretty good. They won games and we won games. Thy all have a 2.3 and more kd And wd ratio. So I know what competitive game-play is all about. If you have a team it doesn't really matter. They just suck.

You must suck with the sniper rifle son. Get better wih it son. I have been sniping consistently in 1-3 and majority time I pick it up I get a headshot. You just suck.

R u comparing the torque bow to a sniper. Lol not even about to speak on that subject.

I see your point about the sniper rifle to prevent campers but that is a little set back.

Yeah I watch montages and things like that but the difference about those people and me is I try to be the best sniper by hard aiming not trying to blind fire across a map for luck and a clip for a montage. That is not fun to me. Fun to me is trying to be the best. Plus I destroy montagers anyway.

I never knew hamerburst was op.
Mlg lancer in gears of war is useless and have garbage lag delay. Probably better offline.

NGears of war shotgun is garbage. to much point blanks and the opponent don't even gib or die.

I guess if you want weak everything you go to gears of war. I see gears 3 more competitive and number 2.

I can agree that gears of war 1 weapons wasnt op except for the sniper. I can agree that much.

Retro, saw off, was the only thing that is op in the game in gow 3. Everything else wasnT.

SEV

Noob
I don't care who you think you are, or how many montages you've watched, but there is no one in any Gears game that can get enough headshots during a competitive match that will make the longshot worth grabbing over a torque bow or digger. And that's not only my opinion, the majority of competitive players thought the same thing.
Calinorth can in almost any gears game, my teammate Knockk had an amazing tourney longshot too, almost took a 1v4 against Infinity at Hype 1 with it, and then Genesis, MonK, Prison, Skyllus... the list is honestly pretty long. AmazYn pretty much won MLG Dallas 09 with unorthodox sniper strats on Security, Pavilion, and Avalanche. It really depended on the map and gametype though. Digger was only relevant in KoTH Tunnels(or whatever the desert map was called) and to make advantages much safer, and would never be the focal point on any map, only a back up after the main fight. GoW 2 most teams want a torque over longshot, but in GoW 3 probably the longshot because the bow was harder to use and had less splash damage(a huge part of GoW 2 bow) and the longshot had better headshot registration.
You don't know what you're talking about. There is only a small niche of actual competitive Gears players that think that the first was the best. And the only ones that do are the ones that couldn't place well any of the others. Even players like Atmo now think that Gears 3 was better than the first one. And if you want to talk actual balance, not preference, Gears of War 2 is the most balanced of the franchise. It is the only game in which overall strategy trumps raw skill. The lancer had stopping power but to compensate it was weaker and would require 3 people to focus fire to down someone quickly and even then if one wasn't the host with a pistol you could still maneuver safely if you were smart. The gnasher(up to TU3 which was what MLG used) had a slower firing rate and a shorter range which means so long as you didn't over-commit you could safely poke at a focal point and back out without being downed from an insane distance by a gnasher after a closer range skirmish and was probably the most consistent in the franchise. Also because of the low firing rate you would need to learn to time shots properly which had a huge skill component when mixed in with the ability to two piece could allow for smart/skilled players to consistently take 1v2/3's. And even though two piecing is despised by most it was completely balanced in that game with a long stun time if shot when melee'ing so it was a huge risk outside of 1v1s and would require people to think about positioning as well as movement in fights. It definitely had the most balanced maps promoting MULTIPLE VIABLE STRATEGIES on each map that require HIGH LEVELS OF TEAMWORK to execute. That is why teams like Infinity only placed top 4 once in GoW 2 because they were amazing individually but had no teamwork while teams like AmazYn were able to win events with high teamwork even though none of them were that amazing individually. 2 > 3 > 1 > J.

Last edited: