What's new

"Believe in magic yet?" - Zatanna Match-Up Discussion thread

Jer

I'm a literal Sloth
Well who has the best Z? I want to see if there's anything I don't already know. Maybe watching others will give me than extra oomph

No idea, the only one I've ever seen footage of was pimpimjim. I'll try to record myself playing zaf next time we play or something

zaf

professor
Well who has the best Z? I want to see if there's anything I don't already know. Maybe watching others will give me than extra oomph
pimpimjim and jer most likely are.
they both play her very differently but both use her tools.

zatanna is one of those characters where you wont be able to tell a players skills level until you play them.

pimpimjim and jer most likely are.
they both play her very differently but both use her tools.

zatanna is one of those characters where you wont be able to tell a players skills level until you play them.

Well I don't know what to call my Z at this point. I did see PPJ's Zatanna in action but, I didn't see anything too much out of the usual from what I've been doing except for MB Dive Kick. I for whatever reason don't think its justified to spend that bar of meter on it unless I'm closing out the round. But on a secondary note, how many of you all use d1 throw & d1 multikick?

kevkopdx

Noob
i
Well I don't know what to call my Z at this point. I did see PPJ's Zatanna in action but, I didn't see anything too much out of the usual from what I've been doing except for MB Dive Kick. I for whatever reason don't think its justified to spend that bar of meter on it unless I'm closing out the round. But on a secondary note, how many of you all use d1 throw & d1 multikick?
i keep forgetting to try that... and i have over 800 games in with her lol

zaf

professor
Jer uses d1 into multkick. its a perfect punisher.
you can teleport on batman shooting a batarang for example, and might not be able to get a punish in time.
but d1 mulkick always gets the punish.

jer uses the mb fireball a lot, and has a lot of set ups with it.
he uses it more then pimpimjim.

Reactions: Jer
Jer uses d1 into multkick. its a perfect punisher.
you can teleport on batman shooting a batarang for example, and might not be able to get a punish in time.
but d1 mulkick always gets the punish.

jer uses the mb fireball a lot, and has a lot of set ups with it.
he uses it more then pimpimjim.

I use fireball depending on the MU. Flash, Batman, Bane, Grundy, HawkGirl all get the fireball typically. But I play Zatanna as a Rush Down character and zone when applicable. Besides I think she has a top 5 corner game. Only player her as a rushdown primary as just getting into that zone. Beating GL's and Grundy's in point blank range. Even taking it to Lordofthefly's grundy.

zaf

professor
I use fireball depending on the MU. Flash, Batman, Bane, Grundy, HawkGirl all get the fireball typically. But I play Zatanna as a Rush Down character and zone when applicable. Besides I think she has a top 5 corner game. Only player her as a rushdown primary as just getting into that zone. Beating GL's and Grundy's in point blank range. Even taking it to Lordofthefly's grundy.
her lightning cage in the corner is stupid.
i was playing a game with jer. he was in trait and hit me. i was in the corner at this point with not much hp left.
so on my wake up jer teleported to me and did a lightning cage, which i couldnt do shit about so i got hit again.
so he did it once more and i died.

this definitely needs to get looked into more.

as for her corner game without trait. its on KF level of dumb.
if she guesses right going for the 50/50, she just standing resets you and she gets to go for it all over again.
as far as I am aware there is no difference in between this in the corner or anywhere else as she can always loop this.

as for playstlyes, jer zones to make meter and get you to react to things. when he does see an opening he will take it and go 100% rushdown.
she has the tools and options to let the player do whatever they want.

her lightning cage in the corner is stupid.
i was playing a game with jer. he was in trait and hit me. i was in the corner at this point with not much hp left.
so on my wake up jer teleported to me and did a lightning cage, which i couldnt do shit about so i got hit again.
so he did it once more and i died.

this definitely needs to get looked into more.

as for her corner game without trait. its on KF level of dumb.
if she guesses right going for the 50/50, she just standing resets you and she gets to go for it all over again.
as far as I am aware there is no difference in between this in the corner or anywhere else as she can always loop this.

as for playstlyes, jer zones to make meter and get you to react to things. when he does see an opening he will take it and go 100% rushdown.
she has the tools and options to let the player do whatever they want.

Not sure how many people end combos with 223 xx tele behind. That positioning is just dirty. As for her trait lightning cage in the corner. It does shut a lot of stuff down.

Jer

I'm a literal Sloth
Not sure how many people end combos with 223 xx tele behind. That positioning is just dirty. As for her trait lightning cage in the corner. It does shut a lot of stuff down.

I'll try 223 xx tele sometime, the thing is, if I wanna save meter I'll always end in F23, because it's a free F23/3 into kicks. I literally apply pressure over and over anywhere I can, I do MB kicks/MB rings as well to set things up in blockstrings.

I'll try 223 xx tele sometime, the thing is, if I wanna save meter I'll always end in F23, because it's a free F23/3 into kicks. I literally apply pressure over and over anywhere I can, I do MB kicks/MB rings as well to set things up in blockstrings.

I'm thinking about making a video of like 100 random things I do with Z. Since there is a lot

YOMI DJT

LIn Kuei Champion
Any you zatanna players going to tfc?
You sure she destroys GL? Idk bout that.
I mean fullscreen she probably wins but gl has better footsies.
Idk i want to play this offline

Jer

I'm a literal Sloth
Any you zatanna players going to tfc?
You sure she destroys GL? Idk bout that.
I mean fullscreen she probably wins but gl has better footsies.
Idk i want to play this offline

I unfortunately won't be, but the next time were at an event together I'd really love to run the match with you a lot. At full screen it's in Z's favour, close up I'm not entirely sure. We can run it sometime.

PPJ

()
Premium Supporter
NetherRealm Studios
personally with this character I like to learn/add a new thing each week to add to my game. I feel like this is a good way to learn her since she is complex

personally with this character I like to learn/add a new thing each week to add to my game. I feel like this is a good way to learn her since she is complex

I agree with that. But can you explain to me the advantages of her MB dive kick. I just can't find a reason to burn that meter unless I'm closing out a round or the game. Wish there was more footage of these Wild Z's out there.

I agree with that. But can you explain to me the advantages of her MB dive kick. I just can't find a reason to burn that meter unless I'm closing out a round or the game. Wish there was more footage of these Wild Z's out there.
Safety, Slight damage boost on conversion, can end in restand for more mix up.

kevkopdx

Noob
just a few things i came across today...

uu3 nullifies MMH's teleport from above.... even though i feel MMH is one of zatannas worst matchups and this tip is next to useless unless you can predict him doing it
another difficult matchup in my opinion is ares.... i did her cards move on wake up and it stuffed his flying ground slam move... so at least he cant continue pressure

just a few things i came across today...

uu3 nullifies MMH's teleport from above.... even though i feel MMH is one of zatannas worst matchups and this tip is next to useless unless you can predict him doing it
another difficult matchup in my opinion is ares.... i did her cards move on wake up and it stuffed his flying ground slam move... so at least he cant continue pressure
If Ares teleports you can 11d3. That string js amazing and sets up a cross up f3 or delayed normal hitting f3 into vortex shenanigans. Video of that tech tonight. As for Mmh forward jumping 3 knocks him out of tele I belive. I did it to Rickyraws Mmy