What's new

General/Other Behold mine spikes of villainy! - Ares General Discussion

ryublaze

Noob
nevermind it seems to be character specific (lol injustice hitboxes). I'm trying 22 low sword on Lex Luthor and it's not working. :( but when I tried it on Joker and Ares it worked. i don't feel like going through the entire cast

xInfra Deadx WaywardStranger

The second hit of the 22 string will actually whiff a few crouch-blocking characters midscreen. Not sure exactly who, as I rarely use the 22 string, but I think Catwoman is one.

4x4lo8o

4x4lo8o

Noob
The second hit of the 22 string will actually whiff a few crouch-blocking characters midscreen. Not sure exactly who, as I rarely use the 22 string, but I think Catwoman is one.

4x4lo8o
I've never actually had it whiff against Catwoman, at least not while she was just crouching. I know it will always whiff against Green Arrow if he's crouching, and it's whiffed against Joker every time I've tried it during a match but I've never tested him in practice mode. The other one I've heard it always whiffs on is Catwoman.
I feel like I've had WW blow me up because it whiffed when it shouldn't, but I wasn't able to replicate it in practice mode. It seems to hit her normally.

The thing about the string is that the first hit pushes the opponent back slightly farther than the second hit advances. So if you use it at maximum range of the first hit they'll be pushed out of range and the second hit will whiff. So while the string does have some issues that character dependent, I'm guessing a lot of the problems people are having are spacing dependent. Maybe the spacing where it whiff varies significantly per character or something though, I could see that being a problem

The 22~d4 in the corner thing is just dumb though. It has nothing to do with execution or spacing, at least that I can tell. It just doesn't work for no reason. It makes no sense and is really frustrating that Ares should lose his ability to launch with certain strings in the corner

4x4lo8o

Noob
Does Ares get any potential setups off his throw?
Not that I know of. It doesn't give enough advantage to guarantee you anything and it leaves a lot of space. You're not close enough for a cross up or anything like that. Are there other characters that get set ups off throws? Nothing's coming to my mind

What do you guys think of ending combos in 1,1, 2 invisibility xx teleport? They cant wakeup on you in time to hit you
even if they guess which side you land on. I'm sure this isn't anything new... I'm just wondering why I don't see anyone using it.

RYX

BIG PUSHER
Since I picked him up last week and have made slow progress

Best footsie tools? Seems like his b.13 is good

Best mix-ups? 3d2 and 3d4 come to mind, what else is useful?

Best use for teleport?

Is his straight sword useful? I tend to use the launcher for combos. Axe seems decent but why does it vanish on trades?

Is God Smack a good whiff punish tool, and how much can I get away with abusing the shit out of it

Thank you :)

Hellbringer

1 2 3 drink
Since I picked him up last week and have made slow progress

Best footsie tools? Seems like his b.13 is good

Best mix-ups? 3d2 and 3d4 come to mind, what else is useful?

Best use for teleport?

Is his straight sword useful? I tend to use the launcher for combos. Axe seems decent but why does it vanish on trades?

Is God Smack a good whiff punish tool, and how much can I get away with abusing the shit out of it

Thank you :)
Also dont forget D1D4.
His teleport is best to use when making a read, just try not to use it randomly. His invisibility is something you try to use as much as possible. its good for ending combos.
His straight sword is not good, its basically only usefull to end a match, cause you need your sword.
God smack is a good tool to use, but try and not use it randomly cause its very easily punishable. Use it more after knockdowns.

The Gabriel

Mean Man
Also dont forget D1D4.
His teleport is best to use when making a read, just try not to use it randomly. His invisibility is something you try to use as much as possible. its good for ending combos.
His straight sword is not good, its basically only usefull to end a match, cause you need your sword.
God smack is a good tool to use, but try and not use it randomly cause its very easily punishable. Use it more after knockdowns.
and just to be clear, straight sword is *extremely good* to use for that last bit of life to get the kill. most people never see it coming and can't react fast enough to it since it's so much faster than all your other projectiles.

Flagg

Noob
Officially making this guy my second main.

Only had this game a week and picked up Lobo at the start. However im aware the guy is not the easiest to use and i've been getting creamed online. Been running through various other characters like Batman, Doomsday, Green Arrow but none of them seem to interest me too much.

Ares is awesome! Only having used him for 2 days im already doing better with him online than a week of Lobo! I like the character is fairly unique in this, he suits me perfectly. The buffering in this game is strange, sometimes MB moves dont come out, but I dont seem to have this problem with Ares, only using MB for GS and projectile.

The windows on his strings are tight, but not that much difference compared to some MK characters and their strict juggles.He kinda plays a bit like a MK character which might be the appeal with him.

Just trying to get the hang of his trait sword set ups, I love the fact these can be used as a mega projectile, juggle extender or standing reset.

I don't know where this guy is in the tier list, nor particularly care, but he seems pretty decent in this.

Hellbringer

1 2 3 drink
Officially making this guy my second main.

Only had this game a week and picked up Lobo at the start. However im aware the guy is not the easiest to use and i've been getting creamed online. Been running through various other characters like Batman, Doomsday, Green Arrow but none of them seem to interest me too much.

Ares is awesome! Only having used him for 2 days im already doing better with him online than a week of Lobo! I like the character is fairly unique in this, he suits me perfectly. The buffering in this game is strange, sometimes MB moves dont come out, but I dont seem to have this problem with Ares, only using MB for GS and projectile.

The windows on his strings are tight, but not that much difference compared to some MK characters and their strict juggles.He kinda plays a bit like a MK character which might be the appeal with him.

Just trying to get the hang of his trait sword set ups, I love the fact these can be used as a mega projectile, juggle extender or standing reset.

I don't know where this guy is in the tier list, nor particularly care, but he seems pretty decent in this.
Nice man. You know where to find me if you need help.

Flagg

Noob
Ares, the more I play him, the more I like him.

This guy has amazing specials.

However a couple of things which you guys prolly know, I find his 22 string quite inconsistent. It's supposed to be a mid but some characters can duck it and I swear it's interuptable, I had a GL masher that kept d1 in between the 2 and 2. It's a shame cause its fast and a good punisher of blocked attacks.

He doesnt have the greatest wake up game and he can get in trouble when cornered. B1 is God like though, not only as an AA but for starting pressure, especially if they think you are following up with 3.

Strangely Aqua Man cant seem to dominate Ares like he can others.

The Gabriel

Mean Man
Scorpion's mb teleport is -8 on block now but doesn't look like Ares has a way to punish it as it pushes you out of his range. D2 also trading/getting stuffed by instant j1

The Gabriel

Mean Man
Flash match-up is now even harder, can't fireball him out of running stance.

Think I'm done with this game after Evo.

The Gabriel

Mean Man
I don't believe the speed of d2 was changed at all, which is terrible. Scorpion can still j1 you at start of round and elsewhere, after knockdowns, etc. Batman's j2 still works the same way.

This is definitely no "get out of AA's free" card. You will still get stuffed on cross-ups and any meaty or early jump-ins.