What's new

General/Other Behold mine spikes of villainy! - Ares General Discussion

Hellbringer

1 2 3 drink
Was this known? If Ares' 3d2 string is blocked but the overhead hits, all of his Godsmack versions will whiff. I know a lot of you guys like using Godsmack as a way to hit confirm, but if this whiffs on all characters then they could just block low on purpose so you can waste your meter and avoid the 50/50.

3d2 into trait cancel is the best way to hit confirm in my opinion, and it's highly underused.
I started using it more since i saw your last posted video :)

4x4lo8o

Noob
Was this known? If Ares' 3d2 string is blocked but the overhead hits, all of his Godsmack versions will whiff. I know a lot of you guys like using Godsmack as a way to hit confirm, but if this whiffs on all characters then they could just block low on purpose so you can waste your meter and avoid the 50/50.

3d2 into trait cancel is the best way to hit confirm in my opinion, and it's highly underused.
I don't think that's true, if it is I think it's character specific. I can't test right now, but I would swear that I messed with it at some point in the past and found that you could combo, but it changed how the GS launched and made timing for the follow up really tight.
Anyway, I don't hit confirm off the d2 anyway(is that possible?), if the 3 was blocked I presume they're going to block the d2 as well and cancel into trait. Generally the only time I do 3d2~gs is if I see the 3 hit.

So if they're crouching the d2 intentionally it doesn't do them any good.

InFlames

dead
I don't think that's true, if it is I think it's character specific. I can't test right now, but I would swear that I messed with it at some point in the past and found that you could combo, but it changed how the GS launched and made timing for the follow up really tight.
Anyway, I don't hit confirm off the d2 anyway(is that possible?), if the 3 was blocked I presume they're going to block the d2 as well and cancel into trait. Generally the only time I do 3d2~gs is if I see the 3 hit.

So if they're crouching the d2 intentionally it doesn't do them any good.
That's good to know. I don't know what character I was doing it on, probably Deathstroke, but I could not land the Godsmack. 3d2 is hit confirmable with trait cancel since it's safe(with the exception of a couple moves).

Was this known? If Ares' 3d2 string is blocked but the overhead hits, all of his Godsmack versions will whiff.

Holy shit, I think I've been getting something similar. I can't tell what it is because it only happens in the heat of the match, but it could be similar. Sometimes when I use 3d2 > mbGS, it'll work but when I try to go for the b3 it whiffs! I seriously effing hate this!

4x4lo8o

Noob
Holy shit, I think I've been getting something similar. I can't tell what it is because it only happens in the heat of the match, but it could be similar. Sometimes when I use 3d2 > mbGS, it'll work but when I try to go for the b3 it whiffs! I seriously effing hate this!
yup, that's what it is. That's why I was confused when he said it makes Godsmack whiff, I've definitely seen it work during a match. Usually you can tell visually what's happening(either by watch whether or not the 3 hit, or by how they got launched) and continue the combo with a f3 instead of a b3

P3irce

Noob
Hey just found a neat little setup into godsmack reset. Basically you do a standard bnb combo
Ex. 2,2,d4, ji2,b2,3,d2,d2, godsmack, it's 31% without the godsmack but ending in double uppercut will make the opponent pop up in a weird way so the godsmack will hit if you do the input there's no timing it/ waiting a second like a standard godsmack combo. I normally do d2 into invis then godsmack but this works pretty well

Hey just found a neat little setup into godsmack reset. Basically you do a standard bnb combo
Ex. 2,2,d4, ji2,b2,3,d2,d2, godsmack, it's 31% without the godsmack but ending in double uppercut will make the opponent pop up in a weird way so the godsmack will hit if you do the input there's no timing it/ waiting a second like a standard godsmack combo. I normally do d2 into invis then godsmack but this works pretty well
This was posted on the graveyard of injusticesociety, but good stuff bringing it here! It's tough to do.

P3irce

Noob
This was posted on the graveyard of injusticesociety, but good stuff bringing it here! It's tough to do.
Haha I've never been over there, I've been trying it out more online and I think it might be character specific, sometimes the second d2 will hit and sometime it won't. I might go to the lab someday and figure which characters it works on after the next update

The Gabriel

Mean Man
I've never been a fan of this combo. If you can't follow up the godsmack with b/f3 then I'd rather go into a mixup/reset situation.

P3irce

Noob
I've never been a fan of this combo. If you can't follow up the godsmack with b/f3 then I'd rather go into a mixup/reset situation.
You can continue with f3 I know for a fact and I thought b3 worked but I'm not completely sure right now ill check in a bit though

P3irce

Noob
Hey was playing around in the lab again after watching tfc and found another neat fast pop up setup using the down axe, it starts with any of ares normals into down axe. At this point you have time to teleport and start a mixup, it'll catch people because the pop up is pretty fast. mr aquaman was using this at the fall classic to godsmack reset I believe and just godsmacking instead of teleporting for the reset.

The Gabriel

Mean Man
You can continue with f3 I know for a fact and I thought b3 worked but I'm not completely sure right now ill check in a bit though
I'd like to see a video of that as I never got it to connect...also getting the godsmack itself to hit was so inconsistent and d2 scales damage so hard that again reset/mixup seemed preferable

Hey was playing around in the lab again after watching tfc and found another neat fast pop up setup using the down axe, it starts with any of ares normals into down axe. At this point you have time to teleport and start a mixup, it'll catch people because the pop up is pretty fast. mr aquaman was using this at the fall classic to godsmack reset I believe and just godsmacking instead of teleporting for the reset.
Yes this was discussed a few months ago, the idea being up axe makes the camera pan up weirdly which disorients the opponent and you can go for a reset when you're not fully shown on the screen

P3irce

Noob
I'd like to see a video of that as I never got it to connect...also getting the godsmack itself to hit was so inconsistent and d2 scales damage so hard that again reset/mixup seemed preferable

Yes this was discussed a few months ago, the idea being up axe makes the camera pan up weirdly which disorients the opponent and you can go for a reset when you're not fully shown on the screen
after the second d2 the opponent will stand up fast and youll be in the air while this happens and will hit them. try going on training mode and just doing d2, d2, godsmack and if i remember correctly itll hit the same. are you on xbox ? i could show you there, i dont have a mic but just from the inputs it should make sense. its really dirty in the corner but works midscreen but the timing is weird

The Gabriel

Mean Man
after the second d2 the opponent will stand up fast and youll be in the air while this happens and will hit them. try going on training mode and just doing d2, d2, godsmack and if i remember correctly itll hit the same. are you on xbox ? i could show you there, i dont have a mic but just from the inputs it should make sense. its really dirty in the corner but works midscreen but the timing is weird
Oh. You're resetting, not combo'ing. My bad, I thought you were talking about a trait combo into d2 xx godsmack. Yeah I usually end my combos with 3d2 teleport/invis then godsmack or mb f3. Hadn't thought about adding a d2 after the 3d2...not sure timing would work for teleport...

P3irce

Noob
Oh. You're resetting, not combo'ing. My bad, I thought you were talking about a trait combo into d2 xx godsmack. Yeah I usually end my combos with 3d2 teleport/invis then godsmack or mb f3. Hadn't thought about adding a d2 after the 3d2...not sure timing would work for teleport...
It's after b2,3 , d2, d2, you can do a godsmack combo but when your at the b3/f3 part do b2,3,d2,d2 into the reset hahah sorry if the wordings weird, idk I could show you in game if you want

He's still probably not gonna be that good. Outside of the one buff and two fixes he's been given (hopefully there will be more), Ares still has a lot of very fundamental issues. Plus, it would have been better if his startup improved because even when you read a projectile fullscreen, you still usually get stuffed out of it. The recovery was already fair. It's hard to punish unless you practice, but it's punishable by everything under about 20 frames.