What's new

General/Other Behold mine spikes of villainy! - Ares General Discussion

4x4lo8o

Noob
What you think of they make his backdash better, like make the distance abit wider, not really his recovery frames but just the distance? I think that solves alot of his problems and dont make him OP. toughts?
Oh, definitely. It would be a huge help. As it is now his back dash is near useless, especially as far as mobility. I've lost count the number of times someone's said 'you can back dash out of that' only for me to try it and hear 'oh, I guess Ares can't.'
I feel like back dashing with Ares is basically just taking a step back and then standing there waiting to be punished. In the future maybe I'll be good enough to use the invincibility frames effectively in a various situations, but as it sits right now I think his back dash is basically useless.

Longer back dash is near the top of my list of desired Ares buffs

Oh, definitely. It would be a huge help. As it is now his back dash is near useless, especially as far as mobility. I've lost count the number of times someone's said 'you can back dash out of that' only for me to try it and hear 'oh, I guess Ares can't.'
I feel like back dashing with Ares is basically just taking a step back and then standing there waiting to be punished. In the future maybe I'll be good enough to use the invincibility frames effectively in a various situations, but as it sits right now I think his back dash is basically useless.

Longer back dash is near the top of my list of desired Ares buffs
Exactly, his back dash is really terrible, have you found any uses for his fwd dash?

4x4lo8o

Noob
Exactly, his back dash is really terrible, have you found any uses for his fwd dash?
I think his forward dash is fine. Not the best in the game, but it does what forward dashes are supposed to do. It's reasonably effective at closing space when you need it to and it can get you under jump ins when appropriate. For example if Batman is ji2'ing you can dash under. This should probably be your default move if you read a jump in as you get up. Watch out for some moves like Green Arrow's j3 that will catch even as you're under and behind them. You can't really do this on reaction, and it doesn't generally get you a punish, but if you read a cross up attempt it gets you out

I don't know why his walk speed and dashes are both slow. It doesn't seem like his keep away and zoning is enough to warrant it, but other than that I have no complaints about his forward dash.

I think his forward dash is fine. Not the best in the game, but it does what forward dashes are supposed to do. It's reasonably effective at closing space when you need it to and it can get you under jump ins when appropriate. For example if Batman is ji2'ing you can dash under. This should probably be your default move if you read a jump in as you get up. Watch out for some moves like Green Arrow's j3 that will catch even as you're under and behind them. You can't really do this on reaction, and it doesn't generally get you a punish, but if you read a cross up attempt it gets you out

I don't know why his walk speed and dashes are both slow. It doesn't seem like his keep away and zoning is enough to warrant it, but other than that I have no complaints about his forward dash.
Ok. I believe that his d2 is HIGHLY underrated aswell, I use it to AA all the time, do you agree?

4x4lo8o

Noob
Ok. I believe that his d2 is HIGHLY underrated aswell, I use it to AA all the time, do you agree?
I don't know about highly underrated, but I think that since the universal d2 buff it's definitely worthwhile as an AA. The start up is slow enough that you can barely do it on reaction and I feel like the hitbox isn't good enough considering how slow the start up is, but it works in a lot of situations. It works well against certain attacks(like Arrow's j3 and Catwoman's jumping whip) and jumps that are landing more in front of you, which is good because those are the same jump ins you can't dash under. I should probably try to use it more.

My biggest issue is that it's so hard to use on reaction, especially against characters with low jump arcs, and that he doesn't get any kind of good conversion off of it. It's enough to stop them from jumping predictably though. I used to have the complaint that I would know opponents were going to jump at me and I couldn't do anything, and that doesn't hold water anymore

shaowebb

Get your guns on. Sheriff is back.
Just figured I'd pop by and bring up that for some reason there has been a lot more Ares players online lately. No clue why...has there been tech unleashed recently?

Hellbringer

1 2 3 drink
Man zatanna has everything ares has but then better.
Faster teleport, air teleport, mb teleport wich gives faster recovery, mb overhead projectile that does 13%dmg and you can make it go up and down.

Maaaan

P3irce

Noob
Faster teleport, air teleport, mb teleport wich gives faster recovery, mb overhead projectile that does 13%dmg and you can make it go up and down.

Maaaan
Lol they both have slow overhead starters for combos too, at least ares has solid damage meter less, and less meter reliance

NHDR

Noob
Injustice newb here. Why is Ares considered to have more difficult execution requirements? I've heard a few players say that. Thanks!

Injustice newb here. Why is Ares considered to have more difficult execution requirements? I've heard a few players say that. Thanks!
Well, he has a few key elements that make him harder to use, such as using a lot of setups, but he's relatively easy to use besides those factors.

4x4lo8o

Noob
I've heard people say that, but I've never agreed.

I guess you could point to the fact that his combos are slightly more varied and complicated(they don't all follow the string~special, b3, ji, string~special pattern that a lot of characters bnb's consist of) depending on trait and meter and that he relies on set ups somewhat heavily, but other than that I don't there's much to justify that he's high execution. His bnb combos aren't particularly hard compared to the rest of the cast(he has some hard ones for slightly more damage, but they're unnecessary if you don't want to do them) and he doesn't have high execution maneuvers like instant air fireballs or difficult hit confirms that he relies on.

That hardest part of playing Ares is definitely that bad match ups and the rage at the unfairness of it all. You're a brave soul to be picking up Ares at this point in the game's life.

Rathalos

Play Monster Hunter!
This is neither here nor their, and might not even apply to Ares, but in the recent NRS stream of Zatanna, when they were talking about her teleports, someone asked Paulo if she was the only person that could teleport in place, and Paulo said "in this current version".

That could mean a few things, next character also has teleports, Raven is getting it, either Raven or Ares could do it in beta builds of the game, but not anymore, Paulo comes to work drunk.

Would a teleport juke even be useful to Ares's game? I mean obviously it wouldn't hurt. I know nothing about this character, I just wasn't sure if anyone brought this up yet.

NHDR

Noob
That hardest part of playing Ares is definitely that bad match ups and the rage at the unfairness of it all. You're a brave soul to be picking up Ares at this point in the game's life.
I don't mind learning setups as long as the execution does not require hours of grinding. I'm limited by the 360 d-pad. But yeah, I always pick my mains based on how cool they look. And Ares is awesome in general. Going to learn him along with Zod and Deathstroke. :)

Breakin Wordzz

Best Rengar NA, also ares of world

Maaaan
her teleport is more punishable and our DA is way better. also since when does zatannan have an unblockable reset?

The Gabriel

Mean Man
This is neither here nor their, and might not even apply to Ares, but in the recent NRS stream of Zatanna, when they were talking about her teleports, someone asked Paulo if she was the only person that could teleport in place, and Paulo said "in this current version".

That could mean a few things, next character also has teleports, Raven is getting it, either Raven or Ares could do it in beta builds of the game, but not anymore, Paulo comes to work drunk.

Would a teleport juke even be useful to Ares's game? I mean obviously it wouldn't hurt. I know nothing about this character, I just wasn't sure if anyone brought this up yet.
wouldn't matter at all as invis is basically already a teleport juke

The Gabriel

Mean Man
Anybody else get inadvertent front teleports on wakeup instead of behind teleport? This happens to me way too often and I'm starting to believe it's some kind of glitch and not my execution. Seems to happen often with certain character's special moves that move them a distance (but don't cross me up). It's really, really annoying.

xInfra Deadx

Gimmick stolen by Jordan Peele
Just something I would like to put out there. F1 (his knee) has the most cancel advantage on hit. Because of that, a few characters cannot jump out when Ares throws out a God Smack after F1. Lex, Grundy, Frost, MMH, Nightwing, Joker, and Raven. They can still get out with MB B3/F3 and with a well timed backdash, however so it's at best gimmicky.