What's new

General/Other Behold mine spikes of villainy! - Ares General Discussion

Jon Berg

Noob
I'm telling y'all, B1 xx MB close godsmack is the best frame trap this character has. 22 xx overhead sword is so good for rushdown.

Man I had a similar post but it isn't here somehow. I guess I didn't hit post reply, that's gotta be it. Those two are great at building pressure and keeping the opponent on the defensive. Mix that up with the raw damage potential of 33 and Ares goes up to top 10 at least when properly utilized.

InFlames

dead
Just something I would like to put out there. F1 (his knee) has the most cancel advantage on hit. Because of that, a few characters cannot jump out when Ares throws out a God Smack after F1. Lex, Grundy, Frost, MMH, Nightwing, Joker, and Raven. They can still get out with MB B3/F3 and with a well timed backdash, however so it's at best gimmicky.
I thought standing 1 had more advantage? Or is the Frame Data messed up again? :16Bit

Guys, when you're playing Ares, what are some characters that give you the hardest time? This isn't going to be used in a matchup chart, I'm just curious.

I have a hard time against KF, Flash, Catwoman, Aquaman, Nightwing, Batman (but it's getting better because I think I found out new "tech" that I think everyone knows but nobody talks about), Hawkgirl, and that's it. I haven't played a good Superman yet, but I think once I play one that's learned not to use lasers against me, I'll be screwed.

The Gabriel

Mean Man
what is the batman tech? you shouldn't be having a problem against nightwing. you need to be very patient against catwoman and bait her into using meter

P3irce

Noob
Hey idk if its been used, or if its even practical in a match, but ares invis can be used rapidly in a row and it builds meter pretty fast, it takes around thirteen activations to get 1 bar. I took time on my watch and it was around 10 actual seconds and like 7 in game seconds. I'm going to see if I can use this online and if it makes any difference.

what is the batman tech?
So I always get blown up whenever he ends a blockstring in either his overhead or low scoop, but if I just block low and keep mashing d1, if his true blockstring ends and he goes for a mixup or for more pressure, the d1 pokes him out of it. It's on option select by definition because while you're holding down and mashing 1, the game still thinks you're blocking, but lets you attack the moment a blockstring ends.

What sucks about this as an Ares main, however, is that after a 3d2 or a b21 into a trait follow up, even though the trait is guaranteed with all the options (except overhead), it works against him. They can hold down, keep mashing 1 and blah blah. Of course you can mix it up with 3, trait or just a naked 3d2, blah blah.

The Gabriel

Mean Man
But yet not unexpected in the least. We know two things about NRS: 1. They don't know anything about Ares, and 2. They don't give a damn about Ares.

I'm assuming Ares will get 1 or 2 completely useless "buffs" along the lines of the rumored shorter axe cooldown period. That coupled with a bunch of the rest of the cast getting big buffs will mean Ares tumbling far down the tier list

Honestly Alucard beating (no match-up experience at the time) Brady so early on was the worst thing that could've happened to the character.

Honestly Alucard beating (no match-up experience at the time) Brady so early on was the worst thing that could've happened to the character.

Yes, and also just generally there not being enough match footage of Ares and not being enough people who know the matchup also attributed to this. I've played some people who know EXACTLY what to do in this matchup and they usually straight up body me, especially some really amazing ones. If footage like that was circulating on TYM, then this may have been a completely different story :(

Rathalos

Play Monster Hunter!
Lets be honest here, Ares is only in this game because Wonder Woman is a member of the trinity. It was either Ares or Cheetah, one of them had to be in the game.

I wouldn't be shocked if Ares had no fans at NRS, in fact, he probably has detractors, as people might resent him for taking up a spot of a more deserving character.

Then again, he somehow managed to get a DLC costume before a big fan favorite like Black Adam, so maybe somebody somewhere does like him.

I would have preferred Cheetah >.>

You know, even if Ares doesn't get any buffs, can't he at least get some more clash quotes? ;_; I'm sick of hearing "This conflict fuels me!" "This is war!" "Don't fear your death!" OVER AND OVER AND OVER

4x4lo8o

Noob
I don't it even has to do with Ares being dislike or ignored.

At Evo, the judge at my pool and the one from the adjacent pool watched all my matches(they're running 2 or 3 matches at once at some points, so they don't always watch every single match - they're just there to tell people who to play and report problems to if necessary). After every single match they both would go on and on about how good Ares is. I used the reset twice(so I got about 30% damage out of it over about 12 matches) and they couldn't stop talking about how broken that shit was and how NRS needed to fix the character.

Everytime I think about Ares and patches I just presume everyone at NRS is like that and thinks Ares is high mid. Think about it for a minute. He's gotten 2 buffs, the universal teleport wake up buff and the universal d2 buff. The only character specific change he got was the reset nerf. You could also argue that the universal d2 buff and the wake up change were both actually nerfs to Ares overall. Either way, Ares is a character who's been nerfed and never buffed. How the fuck did that happen?

InFlames

dead
Was this known? If Ares' 3d2 string is blocked but the overhead hits, all of his Godsmack versions will whiff. I know a lot of you guys like using Godsmack as a way to hit confirm, but if this whiffs on all characters then they could just block low on purpose so you can waste your meter and avoid the 50/50.

3d2 into trait cancel is the best way to hit confirm in my opinion, and it's highly underused.