What's new

Match-up Discussion Becoming the Pope - The General Zod Matchup Thread

SimSim

Norwegian Lab-work Champion
Why so and it what way?

Aquaman out footsies s3 all day
I guess it's better to punish an Aquaman with 3 xx zod charge/PS if you know he will trait out of a f21u2/f21 xx mb laser

Also, since I found that MB laser actually gives zod the most amount advantage to summon trait of all his moves, I tried to see what kinds of situations it is useful to take advantage of this (Since most of the time you want the extra damage you can get after the MB laser)

After an anti air d2, f21 xx mb laser, the combo scales pretty bad, so that's a good way to use it. It also leaves you at a good distance for a trait activation.

After the mb laser, actiavte trait, then zod charge. If the opponent rolls, you will be at the perfect distance to slash, f2 xx trait grab, as most fast normals will whiff on you while f2 will hit.

If the opponent does not roll, he can hit you after the zod charge (If you do it fast it will whiff while he is still on the ground), but you can always interupt him with your trait slash (interupt, not stop him from hitting you with 1 move first).

Might be interesting?

Colonel-Gilgamesh

Hates NRS for making me not like Superman
Why so and it what way?

Aquaman out footsies s3 all day
Punishing. The main Aquaman combo involves a FTD up close right? Aquamen can get overzealous because if it whiffs they just activate trait and are like durr hurr safe.

For Footsies......really, I think the only thing that competes is Phantom Strike.

I guess it's better to punish an Aquaman with 3 xx zod charge/PS if you know he will trait out of a f21u2/f21 xx mb laser

Also, since I found that MB laser actually gives zod the most amount advantage to summon trait of all his moves, I tried to see what kinds of situations it is useful to take advantage of this (Since most of the time you want the extra damage you can get after the MB laser)

After an anti air d2, f21 xx mb laser, the combo scales pretty bad, so that's a good way to use it. It also leaves you at a good distance for a trait activation.

After the mb laser, actiavte trait, then zod charge. If the opponent rolls, you will be at the perfect distance to slash, f2 xx trait grab, as most fast normals will whiff on you while f2 will hit.

If the opponent does not roll, he can hit you after the zod charge (If you do it fast it will whiff while he is still on the ground), but you can always interupt him with your trait slash (interupt, not stop him from hitting you with 1 move first).

Might be interesting?
Have you tested advantage on d2 and s3 canceled into trait? That stuff seems like a large amount of time caused if done early enough

SimSim

Punishing. The main Aquaman combo involves a FTD up close right? Aquamen can get overzealous because if it whiffs they just activate trait and are like durr hurr safe.

For Footsies......really, I think the only thing that competes is Phantom Strike.

Have you tested advantage on d2 and s3 canceled into trait? That stuff seems like a large amount of time caused if done early enough
I haven't tested those, I have to admit, but I doubt it's more than mb laser. Will check it though.

Colonel-Gilgamesh

I haven't tested those, I have to admit, but I doubt it's more than mb laser. Will check it though.
I did a quick check up a moment ago on the moves. With roll on, d2 was about the same, if not more, than MB Laser. s3 was a bit less.

SimSim

I did a quick check up a moment ago on the moves. With roll on, d2 was about the same, if not more, than MB Laser. s3 was a bit less.
I thought that might be the case, but d2 leaves them at a distance that is neither jump in or good zod charge range I think? + d2 will give less and less advabtage at the end of a combo where mb laser will not (I think). I need to explore d2 more. Maybe we can find a set up where a j2 will cross if the stand up normal, but not cross if they roll?

Colonel-Gilgamesh

I thought that might be the case, but d2 leaves them at a distance that is neither jump in or good zod charge range I think? + d2 will give less and less advabtage at the end of a combo where mb laser will not (I think). I need to explore d2 more. Maybe we can find a set up where a j2 will cross if the stand up normal, but not cross if they roll?
d2's a combo starter move. All uppercuts are by nature. While we might get something in combo, I have more faith in 123 trait or s3. d2 is just a 'oh, my uppercut landed. Best make use of it for free trait.'

SimSim

d2's a combo starter move. All uppercuts are by nature. While we might get something in combo, I have more faith in 123 trait or s3. d2 is just a 'oh, my uppercut landed. Best make use of it for free trait.'
Wait.. you get more advantage from d2, trait activation than after mb laser? Then what aboout d2 xx trait activation? I thought that's what you meant! And no I do not see d2 as a combo starter and almost not as a viable anti air with Zod, as it's amazingly bad lol. It does have it's use as an anti cross up if the character you are trying to catch isn't Batman.

SimSim

yea but i like slow ball oki because sometimes i can use it to dash in for pressure
With your set up they can just hold up forward and jump over the zod ball that is coming though:/

Disclaimer: I just tested this on Sinestro so far, and his hurtbox is wonky.

Edit: As I thought, Zod himself can not jump forward out of this set up, so it was Sinestros stupid hurtbox. Zod can d3 on wake up to go under the zod ball though lol. Batman can hold up forward too. So this is not a guaranteed trap.

Pig Of The Hut

Day 0 Phenomenal Dr. Fate and Darkseid player
SimSim

I need your brain

Whats the best combo you have off of F3 starter that DOES NOT have a mb laser

I have f3 ji3 Trait Swipe 3 4 112 zc mb 39%