What's new

Battle Arena Week 4 Winners Announced, Gameplay Footage is LIVE!

IceNine

Tired, But Strong
On a stage featuring Darkseid, no less. I wonder why there's so much New Gods/Apokolips paraphernalia there?

Fangoria19

Groovy
Loved the transitions this time around but where's my goddam flash museum transition? I'm also hoping that one of the last reveals is a cold character (Capt. Cold), hell I'll settle for Mr. Freeze at this point.

shaowebb

Get your guns on. Sheriff is back.
Lets see..

SINESTRO
  • summon boulders above you for overheads
  • summon blades under you for lows and he can chain them as a juggle like Shang Tsung
  • Can summon a low under you that launchers you giving him a launcher WHILE in flight mode :confused: "relaunch infinite possibilities..."
  • can rapid fire yellow balls...possibly a stance change or something after he puts his hovering gradius option up
  • can use a ring bind to trap folks for resets.
This guy looks to be a combo and mixup machine. Expect a LOOOT of him. Reset potential is ridiculous with those lows and rings. A launcher from flight? You kidding me!? Guy is gonna stuff folks. Sinestro is an army from the front. Go rushdown and air projectiles is my bet. You either stay in or beat him to the punch or you will find yourself mixed up. Not certain on his combo strength though yet.

HAWKGIRL
  • throwable mace from jump similar to a FAST akuma fireball
  • toss mace up to act as an AA similar to a shoryuken
  • air dash attacks like Nova including divekick angles
  • Highly mobile and can pressure heavily from above
She looked good for combos and pressure. Not certain what to make of her matchup options so far though in this game given AA in this game. If her air moves are all high priority then she will be a pressure cooking devil. If not careful players will have her. Just use dash forward/backs and AA more than jump backs or jump ins. I think she'll be guaranteed at least mid tier. Looks too good at what she does to ever be a bad character IMO.

VERDICT
I think Sinestro has some REAL damned potential to become a monster out there. Fast projectiles or dashups might be his worst nightmare though so Batman's zipline and Green Arrow could be a problem for him. Lex Luthor too if he can get armored up or use his tandem engine properly to cut his distance.
Hawkgirl looked alright, but I don't know her priority yet on her aerial offense and its pressure looks to be key to her staying viable. If its good she will be a strong all arounder.
Currently though I'm thinking we will see some quarter finals starring lots of Green Arrow, Lex Luthor, Sinestro, and Cyborg.

Mine countenance whereupon I realize the quarter finals will have Green Lantern vs Aquaman, and semifinals will contain Batman vs Flash/Joker:

Reactions: RYX

JJocelot

Don't give up!
That three hit combo Sinestro did, looks like he jump cancelled it at around 1:30.

Looks interesting...

Lazoruz

Closer to the coffin, but still kicking..!
OK, I'll say it AGAIN! Cuz the mods have a stick up their ass! I think NRS knows who is supposed to win each fight cuz it's dictated by DC Comics! See how long it takes the Mods to delete THIS POST!

G4S MinotaurLord

Wielder of Toxins
Upon watching it a few times, it looks like Sinestro may play like Lambda Eleven from BlazBlue CS. Long ranged movement disabler, the spikes from the ground, the projectiles that shoot straight forward, the air combos into more "yellow" blades...watch the fight style, it's very similar.

Also, hawkgirl doubles jumps, can hover, and has a divekick? Holy shit, someone did the fusion dance between MK9 Sonya and SSBM Peach. I mean, let's face it, the hawkgirl gif pretty much looks like Armada chaining Up-Airs.

So hype for Sinestro, HawkGirl, and Green Arrow.

Upon watching it a few times, I came ... and then I came to the conclusion that I don't like what NRS did with Green Lantern and Sinestro.

Let's be honest here - judging by the power set / potential of the both characters they could have gone crazy with their abilities, yet in my eyes there is no difference between Sinestro fireing a sting, and Liu Kang fireing a firebolt.

I was hoping to see some really fancy constructs mid combat and stuff like that.
It hurts me to say that, but I think that Capcom would have been able to pull off Capcom characters far, far, far, far better.
And it's not because they're better (which they're very likely not), but because NRS sometimes invests more time into lesser meaningful stuff.

I'll never touch Green Lantern and Sinestro, even if they're the two best characters in the game.
The downside is way too huge (of them being way too underwhelmingly executed).

Pterodactyl

Plus on block.
Upon watching it a few times, I came ... and then I came to the conclusion that I don't like what NRS did with Green Lantern and Sinestro.

Let's be honest here - judging by the power set / potential of the both characters they could have gone crazy with their abilities, yet in my eyes there is no difference between Sinestro fireing a sting, and Liu Kang fireing a firebolt.

I was hoping to see some really fancy constructs mid combat and stuff like that.
It hurts me to say that, but I think that Capcom would have been able to pull off Capcom characters far, far, far, far better.
And it's not because they're better (which they're very likely not), but because NRS sometimes invests more time into lesser meaningful stuff.

I'll never touch Green Lantern and Sinestro, even if they're the two best characters in the game.
The downside is way too huge (of them being way too underwhelmingly executed).

Capcom would be able to "pull it off" because they have a vs series for over the top shit, if it was regular 2D 1v1 like darkstalkers or street fighter it would be exactly the same.

That doesn't even matter because Capcom isn't a factor here and they shouldn't be.

Though I will say they could have been more creative with the contructs.

Maybe having the binding attack be snakes wrapping around them instead of rings, or maybe a pack of bees swarming on them.

And the difference between Sinestro's sting and Liu's firebolt is that sinestro fires two projectiles one above the other giving it a huge vertical hitbox.

And thats a silly ass reason to not try every character in the cast, you're limiting you're gaming experience and shying away from a potential favorite character.