What's new

Battle Arena Week 1 Winners announced, Gameplay Footage Released!

I dont see how anyone could defend NRS' BLATANT recycling of moves to be honest. Its sign of lack of creativity and possibility, straight laziness. MK is the only game/series the studio has ever created and for whatever reason, they cant seem to create an entirely different series without what looks like using 40% of the move animations (im talking specials, not punches and kicks) from their already established series. You call it "referencing" , I call it unoriginal. Doesn't necessarily take away from gameplay, but it just makes NRS look extremely limited.

KH_Seraph

ҜømbÄŦ Ħøu&Ŧøπ
Personally, I don't see it. Goro or Kintaro don't have moves where they blast forward in an armored dash. (Maybe Shao Kahn)

Bane seems to play kinda like Jax as far as his style goes. Has some moves like 112 that bops 'em, so you can juggle into another string or throw. He has an AA throw too which is pretty cool. I'm in the same zone as Scar though; He's moves should shake the screen alil' bit more to make him seem as heavy as Solomon. It might just be the quality of the video, though.

The only character that hasn't really impressed me so far is Wonder Woman. I don't recall seeing any notable combos from her; just strings that didn't really link into eachother (Seemed to knock the opponent back). She seems like a pretty defensive fighter, not offensive.

I dont see how anyone could defend NRS' BLATANT recycling of moves to be honest. Its sign of lack of creativity and possibility, straight laziness. MK is the only game/series the studio has ever created and for whatever reason, they cant seem to create an entirely different series without what looks like using 40% of the move animations (im talking specials, not punches and kicks) from their already established series. You call it "referencing" , I call it unoriginal. Doesn't necessarily take away from gameplay, but it just makes NRS look extremely limited.
Seriously mate, right now you're being very, very stupid and I don't understand how anyone with at least half of a brain can like your post.

As I already said it before ... for years Capcom offered you basically the same characters in every single one of their games.
They're always the same, no matter if SF, SFxT or MVC. Do you approve on that? Do you approve on the fact that they have more than one character in one game with one and the same fighting style which gets recycled?

When it comes to Crapcom everyone allows it and no one calls them lazy, but when it comes to NRS - a developer who actually puts effort into their games and not only tries to set the standard for fighting games higher, but also manages to do so - IDIOTS like you start to bitch around and call them lazy.
MVC3 didn't offer you ANYTHING besides new characters and new mechanics. They didn't have a story mode, they didn't have a proper arcade mode, hell they didn't even have a spectator mode.
If a new Darkstalker games ever comes out expect the characters to play and feel exactly like they did in the prior games.

And then when it comes to NRS people start bitching without actually having any reason. Few posts ago there was a silly person who really started talking about MK 1 and 2, which is plain pathetic, to be honest.
When it comes to NRS games all we pay attention to should be MK VS DC, MK9 and Injustice since that's where these were clearly the market-breakers, because of the effort NRS put it.
MK9 improved drastically if we compare it to MK VS DC and that seems to be applying for Injustice as well.
You bitch about Harley Quinn having Sonyas cartwheel, but you completely leave out the fact that all of the other stuff she does - the way she acts, the way her animations are, her voice acting and and and - everything is top notch and beyond everything MK9 came up with.
The same applies for Solomon Grundy. Watch a freakin' video with him and pay attention when he does his combos. It's stunning how well it looks like. Show me a different grappler who can compete with the way Solomon Grundy plays and I'll buy you a diet coke and a sandwich with a lot of greens (yes, that's an insult).

To call NRS lazy is the most ridiculous statement in this entire thread and this entire thread is huge and probably includes a lot of shit, but nothing comes even close to the BS you're writing.
It's obvious that you're either just a damn stupid person, or simply here to troll, because an intelligent person sees how much work NRS has put into this game and that deserves a lot of respect and not the disrespect people come up with, because they see that one character doing kinda a similar move like it already looked like in one of the prior NRS games.

Grow up.

(I feel so stupid for even responding to you and putting effort into writing the entire text, Trollboy.)

Killzone that guy was actually someone else, lol.
Let fools be fools, I guess.
I know :) And the first nay-sayer liked his post. Fools have to stick together.
Anyway, I'm done with the topic.

To be it's obvious that NRS put a lot of work into the game and to bitch about a character having an attack that has the same sound like an attack from a character in MK9 and leaving out that they got amazing, original voice actors like Kevin C. (Batman) for this game ... no comment.

Besides all that:
When Injustice comes out, most of the people are probably going to drop MK9 and main Injustice, or they will skip out Injustice and play MK9, because they don't like the Injustice mechanics.
In both scenarios people won't pay attention at the other game, so they won't see the "same terrible animations over and over again being used by all of the characters they play", so it shouldn't be a biggie.
And people who will play MK9 and Injustice should actually be more than a little into NRS, so they won't bother about stuff like that.

I'm fine with all of that.

Reactions: RYX

Rathalos

Play Monster Hunter!
I haven't seen any specials that have animations from MK9.

Only shared animations I have seen are from combo strings, and usually its just one animation of a string.

Then again, I can't even remember what Kintaro even does in MK9 lol.

Reactions: RYX
I love all the footage, but I did notice a couple of things that...well, kinda make me sad about these because it shows that these are completely edited and not pure gameplay. In the Batman vs. Bane video, at 1:40 it shows Batman getting up from a combo from Bane. A frame or so later, they're standing in a different spot. And there's something similar in the Wonder Woman vs. Harley Quinn video. At 2:06 after Wonder Woman recovers from Harley's super move, there is a very slight shift in Harley's position. It's very slight, and done as a fade, but it's still there. :(

I love all the footage, but I did notice a couple of things that...well, kinda make me sad about these because it shows that these are completely edited and not pure gameplay. In the Batman vs. Bane video, at 1:40 it shows Batman getting up from a combo from Bane. A frame or so later, they're standing in a different spot. And there's something similar in the Wonder Woman vs. Harley Quinn video. At 2:06 after Wonder Woman recovers from Harley's super move, there is a very slight shift in Harley's position. It's very slight, and done as a fade, but it's still there. :(
In these two fights Batman and Wonder Woman were supposed to win, because that's how the fans voted.

It's obvious that the Harley Quinn player was MUCH better than the Wonder Woman player and that they had to make some breaks during the fight and adjust, therefore the short break. Wonder Woman punched Harley probably few times to even out the health disadvantage and then they continued.

The same applies for the Batman / Bane fight. Not saying that Bane was being played by the better man / woman during that encounter, but they needed to give Bane more screentime, because it was his very first fight, so they had to show him a little bit and later on Batman needed to close the health gap to be able to win.

Don't expect in any of the upcoming videos to see an actually match between two high level players. They're scripted and that's not even a bad thing. We still get to see their combos, the stage transitions and their supers.

MagicMan357

"130 ms is more legit than Labbing" - TYM
Killzone
Please keep owning people because youre literally saying the same thing i have for YEARS about mk vs capcoms bullshit.
Its like people just want something to bitch about ESPECIALLY animations when theyre perfectly fine. People want to complain about some SFX and animations when its made by the people who made MK....what the hell do you expect?
Can you people honestly tell me when you look at injustice you see laziness, because i see progress which is something NRS has constantly done with every installment of the series (Unlike crapcom).

Look at the progression of mechanics in NRS's games vs capcoms.

Seriously mate, right now you're being very, very stupid and I don't understand how anyone with at least half of a brain can like your post.

As I already said it before ... for years Capcom offered you basically the same characters in every single one of their games.
They're always the same, no matter if SF, SFxT or MVC. Do you approve on that? Do you approve on the fact that they have more than one character in one game with one and the same fighting style which gets recycled?

When it comes to Crapcom everyone allows it and no one calls them lazy, but when it comes to NRS - a developer who actually puts effort into their games and not only tries to set the standard for fighting games higher, but also manages to do so - IDIOTS like you start to bitch around and call them lazy.
MVC3 didn't offer you ANYTHING besides new characters and new mechanics. They didn't have a story mode, they didn't have a proper arcade mode, hell they didn't even have a spectator mode.
If a new Darkstalker games ever comes out expect the characters to play and feel exactly like they did in the prior games.

And then when it comes to NRS people start bitching without actually having any reason. Few posts ago there was a silly person who really started talking about MK 1 and 2, which is plain pathetic, to be honest.
When it comes to NRS games all we pay attention to should be MK VS DC, MK9 and Injustice since that's where these were clearly the market-breakers, because of the effort NRS put it.
MK9 improved drastically if we compare it to MK VS DC and that seems to be applying for Injustice as well.
You bitch about Harley Quinn having Sonyas cartwheel, but you completely leave out the fact that all of the other stuff she does - the way she acts, the way her animations are, her voice acting and and and - everything is top notch and beyond everything MK9 came up with.
The same applies for Solomon Grundy. Watch a freakin' video with him and pay attention when he does his combos. It's stunning how well it looks like. Show me a different grappler who can compete with the way Solomon Grundy plays and I'll buy you a diet coke and a sandwich with a lot of greens (yes, that's an insult).

To call NRS lazy is the most ridiculous statement in this entire thread and this entire thread is huge and probably includes a lot of shit, but nothing comes even close to the BS you're writing.
It's obvious that you're either just a damn stupid person, or simply here to troll, because an intelligent person sees how much work NRS has put into this game and that deserves a lot of respect and not the disrespect people come up with, because they see that one character doing kinda a similar move like it already looked like in one of the prior NRS games.

Grow up.

(I feel so stupid for even responding to you and putting effort into writing the entire text, Trollboy.)

Ok fanboy, you seem to be WAY too passionate about this game to have an unbiased view, so there's no reason to entertain anymore of your posts. Hope you enjoy watching Noob Saibot's x - ra... Err I mean Wonder Woman's super move, cause I'm sure it will pop up in the next game they make.

Because the other companies come up with 100% original moves every game, right?
Of course not, but literally EVERY character shown so far has a moves (plural) directly taken from MK9. Im sorry, but from a creative standpoint, that's inexcusable.

And to everyone thinking that Im just some troll hating on this game, its the complete opposite, I'm very excited to play it. Its just discouraging looking a footage packaged as fresh and new having so many seen before things in it.

RYX

BIG PUSHER
Of course not, but literally EVERY character shown so far has a moves (plural) directly taken from MK9. Im sorry, but from a creative standpoint, that's inexcusable.

And to everyone thinking that Im just some troll hating on this game, its the complete opposite, I'm very excited to play it. Its just discouraging looking a footage packaged as fresh and new, having so much seen before things in it.
I haven't seen Grundy stealing any moves. Deathstroke? Green Arrow?

Moves that are 'kind of' resembling to other moves isn't stealing said moves. And I go back to the mocap thing. NRS is a relatively small company as well.

Zoidberg747

My blades will find your heart

And to everyone thinking that Im just some troll hating on this game, its the complete opposite, I'm very excited to play it. Its just discouraging looking a footage packaged as fresh and new having so many seen before things in it.
While you are right(Every character I have seen gameplay for I have seen a move that is alost directly copied from MK9) This still is outweighed by all the new features that we have REPEATEDLY asked for that they are implementing. One negative against plenty of positives is still pretty good.

Reedoms

Noob

Moves that are 'kind of' resembling to other moves isn't stealing said moves. And I go back to the mocap thing. NRS is a relatively small company as well.
Well, Green Arrow's slide looks pretty similar to Reptiles. Other than that, nothing else that I've seen.

Zoidberg747

My blades will find your heart

Grundy- Sheeva Ground Stomp
Deathstroke- Liu Kang's Dragon Stance 3
Green Arrow- Kratos Arrows(Kind of a stretch lol)

Edit: Still doesnt outweigh the positives. Also NRS is not a small company, gtfo with that

trufenix

bye felicia
Why exactly is this inexcusable? I want to see one actual legitimate complaint besides "it is". There is not ONE game without content or concept reuse. Not one.