What's new

Match-up Discussion Batman LIVING Match-Up Discussion (UPDATED)

Chongo

Dead Kings Rise
I don't believe you can duck and punish flying dick kick. I was trying for a while and trying many different things. he recovers on whiff really really fast.

Thanks for the other tips!!
If you read it, you can d2 him as he's flying over you.

Smarrgasm

What's a Smarrgasm?
I don't believe you can duck and punish flying dick kick. I was trying for a while and trying many different things. he recovers on whiff really really fast.

Thanks for the other tips!!
You gotta punch him as he goes over you, not after he lands. Just D2 him as he flies over.

What a shitty fucking punish. Also I love how I'll randomly get hit trying to do this. Or maybe im doing it wrong

Red Reaper

The Hyrax Whisperer
What a shitty fucking punish. Also I love how I'll randomly get hit trying to do this. Or maybe im doing it wrong

You do it pretty late. It is kinda hard.

You kan also MB F3 on read...

Also, he's plus or neutral sometimes off of Flying Grayson.

The battle against Nightwing is a Life lead battle. Get the life lead and zone.

You kan backdash on reaction to ground blasts offline but if he meterburns it you're punished.

im having a tough time against deathstroke, one of the guys that i play locally does his usual spams of guns, sword flips and jumping 3. i feel like when i try to dash i cant block it in time after his first gun shot. and im being really patient but i cant get on him because he becomes more random than what people do in UMVC3 with his sword flip and constant jumping 3. any tips on what i can do or try to react better. and should i try to neutral jump on his low gun shot if he doesnt MB it?

Bidu

the CHILL of DESPAIR
I couldn't disagree more when it comes to SuperMan match up. From my experience this is a 6-4 or even 7-3 in Superman's favor.

Jaiyson

100% Jamaican
So I recently picked up batman...and I have some footage playing with a friend of mine using LOBO.. I would definitely would appreciate some constructive criticism on my game play as what I did or shouldnt have done etc....so that I can level up with batman...
PS ... we are Jamaicans so dnt mind us speaking in the background lol

im having a tough time against deathstroke, one of the guys that i play locally does his usual spams of guns, sword flips and jumping 3. i feel like when i try to dash i cant block it in time after his first gun shot. and im being really patient but i cant get on him because he becomes more random than what people do in UMVC3 with his sword flip and constant jumping 3. any tips on what i can do or try to react better. and should i try to neutral jump on his low gun shot if he doesnt MB it?

My advice is to stay calm and get in. The number one thing you have to learn to fight this match up is when you have time to dash forward or only time to call out a bat. Bat management is the key here, try to have those bats cycle one or 2 at a time while the next bat is charging, you have yours ready to go and open death stroke up.

If i remember correctly, after you block high or low guns that wasnt meter burned, you can dash forward once, if you block the AK gun you have time to put on trait, dash forward and play the lottery. and after you block meterburn high or low guns you only have time to activate trait and THATS IT! don't try anything else, he used a meter and you have to respect it.

So now you have a bat next to you and you're slowly but surely getting closer, even at mid range you can start your offense as long as you have a bat already out, try to predict when hes gonna take a shot to zone you out, in this case you can jump and release the bat(s) if he does not meter burn and you guess right, you should clear the shots and be able to dash in and start your 113/123 string after he gets hit with a bat. Now say you guess wrong and he doesnt shoot, he just blocks or tries to back up....GOOD! that bats out going to get him, force him to block, while you have time for a dash and a jump in, or two dashes.

As for the random game when you get very close, you just have to try to bait out his sword flip. It is VERY punishable, try to pick up on habits that deathstroke likes to do. If you bait it out, he might either keep doing it, or stop, make a read!

As for jumping 3, it IS very annoying, try to have a bat out and make it whiff, and said out the bat before he lands in order to punish him on his landing recovery frames. I know it's easier said then done but you can't try to beat it in the air, especially when he also has jump 1 to worry about which is extremely fast and can lead into damaging meterless combos

So I recently picked up batman...and I have some footage playing with a friend of mine using LOBO.. I would definitely would appreciate some constructive criticism on my game play as what I did or shouldnt have done etc....so that I can level up with batman...
PS ... we are Jamaicans so dnt mind us speaking in the background lol

This was a very long video in at around 50 minutes, I only skimmed it, some games you were managing bats very well (getting them out one or two at a time) but other games you were missing opportunities to call out bats and let the trait stack up to 3 bats.

Also don't rely on doing 223 as a jumpin string cause a good player will block and interrupt with a down 1 or down 2, and a VERY good player will punish that with down 1 into a combo.

also try sending out your bats while you're blocking your opponents block strings, it can hit them and lead into a FREE combo for you

Again I skimmed through it, did not watch all 50 minutes

ELC

Scrublord McGee
From my experience.

5-5 means it's pretty evenly matched: it's really more or less a rock-paper-scissors game in terms of making reads and countering their tools with the appropriate tool in our arsenal.
6-4 means it's slightly in our favor: they have to work a bit harder and/or cater to our playstyle to win, but it isn't painstakingly so.

I haven't fought a Zod yet, so the intricacies of that matchup elude me, but I'd definitely say keeping him locked down in pressure is the way to go. The last thing you want is for his trait to be active.

What does the 5-5 and 6-4 mean?

Also, any tips vs Zod?

Thanks for the thread, great stuff.

Here is how MU (match ups) work and what it means.

If a (character A) player at a high skill level had the equal amount of skill as (character B) and if they played 10 matches, how many (hypothetically) matches would each player win.

Now if a match up is even, and two players of equal skill play each other 10 times, they should each walk away with 5 matches each.

The point of the "equally skilled" note is to let you and everyone know that just because a match up is not in you're favor, doesnt mean you will automatically lose, you might just have to work a little harder or know a little more about the matchup than your opponent.

now if a match up is 6-4, or 3-7 that means it is NOT an even match up and it favors one character over the other.

Get it? any questions please post

Rude

You will serve me in The Netherrealm
I could use some help against Black Adam. Well...I lot of help. After facing my clan-mate Usedcarsalesmang in plenty of games, I realized that not only do I know nothing about Black Adam outside of divekicks, B23 leaving him at advantage, and lightning cage on wake-up....but I have no idea how you're supposed to fight this character.

Even when he whiffs strings, I feel like he can YOLO backdash away from any kind of punish. In fact, he can come in, throw a string, and back-dash before you can do much about it, it seems.

I really could use some advice. There really aren't many competent Black Adams that I face regularly, so this is a whole new world of pain for me.

Rude

I just did a little lab work. Nothing can interrupt Green lantern's low combo starter. However, you CAN interrupt GL's low/overhead string. Not just with d1. Not just with d2. But, you can interrupt it with a full 1-starter combo. 113, 123, up to you. This could be very useful.

Also, you can interrupt Martian Manhunter's 22, b3 string with standing 1 into another full combo of your choice.

Screw interrupting with parry. We need to find more strings we can toss standing 1 into the middle of.

Does anyone agree?

Rude

Sadly, I've found nothing to punish Martian Manhunter's overhead teleport. The best I can do(and this one is iffy) is dash forward in reaction to the teleport. It will whiff, causing him to be very close to you. I usually B23 him, but you could probably get a full-combo that way. However, it's a bit inconsistent, as the overhead teleport can cross you up in weird ways. His standard teleport is as easy to punish as 1,2.3.

Anyone see what I did there? Anyone?

I could use some help against Black Adam. Well...I lot of help. After facing my clan-mate Usedcarsalesmang in plenty of games, I realized that not only do I know nothing about Black Adam outside of divekicks, B23 leaving him at advantage, and lightning cage on wake-up....but I have no idea how you're supposed to fight this character.

Even when he whiffs strings, I feel like he can YOLO backdash away from any kind of punish. In fact, he can come in, throw a string, and back-dash before you can do much about it, it seems.

I really could use some advice. There really aren't many competent Black Adams that I face regularly, so this is a whole new world of pain for me.

I personally find this fight very difficult.
When black adam does back23 and you block it, he is like plus 3. respect it. The way you're suppose to punish his wake up lightning cage is by neutral jump 2, make sure you learn how to do it at the right time, too early or too late will result in you getting hit and comboed, even when you had the correct read. You can also back 3 on his wake up if you think hes gonna back dash.

The other part of black adams game is the full screen zoning, you have to have one or two bats activated, look for the raise in his hand for his lightning strike or black magic (if you're close enough) and you have to (IN THIS ORDER) 1 ) Jump forward, 2) THEN release bats in mid air, that bat will punish him, so depending on how far you are: Close) dash forward once or twice and do 113. Far) Grapple and meter burn it, jump 2 and do a string of your choice.

hope this helped!

Rude

The Solomon Grundy number is inaccurate. Our strings don't stop WC. Know how I know this? I've tried. Batman can usually be grabbed before the string is complete. Bats help, but he walk through the pressure. Also, he can end strings in WC, and we simply can't throw out strings quickly enough to stop it. Again, Bats help, but its not a simple matter of calling bats and throwing out block strings, as the original OP write-up would suggest. Grundy won't just throw WC out naked.

Also...MB Swamp Hands starts up in 13 frames, is plus 2 on block, and recovers fairly quickly. We won't be keeping this guy full-screen forever.

Showtime

Reptile/Sonya
The Solomon Grundy number is inaccurate. Our strings don't stop WC. Know how I know this? I've tried. Batman can usually be grabbed before the string is complete. Bats help, but he walk through the pressure. Also, he can end strings in WC, and we simply can't throw out strings quickly enough to stop it. Again, Bats help, but its not a simple matter of calling bats and throwing out block strings, as the original OP write-up would suggest. Grundy won't just throw WC out naked.

Also...MB Swamp Hands starts up in 13 frames, is plus 2 on block, and recovers fairly quickly. We won't be keeping this guy full-screen forever.
Ex batarang and b23 are key in this match. Save your meter, use UT wisely with ex batarang. It being 3 hits gets him out WC and your free to keep zoning

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk 2

Rude

So, today in I was training with @Ghostface777o0o with Batgirl.

We found something....strange. apparently, Batman cannot parry Batgirl's d1. At first, I thought it was my timing. So we switched to his Green Arrow and I parried every d1 he threw out. We tried it early, late, etc, and her D1 just snuffed his parry.

This isn't supposed to happen, is it?

We found something....strange. apparently, Batman cannot parry Batgirl's d1. At first, I thought it was my timing. So we switched to his Green Arrow and I parried every d1 he threw out. We tried it early, late, etc, and her D1 just snuffed his parry.

sounds like a mistake to me, I'm gonna test it out in training room and see for myself

Showtime

Reptile/Sonya

Some characters d1's are low check if that was it

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk 2

ForeverKing

Patreon.com/MK_ForeverKing
Nice list. I agree with most, but I will name a few match-ups I disagree with.

Aquaman might be a 3-7
Nightwing is a 5-5
Ares is probably 7-3
Deathstroke 6-4
Green Lanturn 5-5
Shazam 5-5 (or possibly 6-4 actually)

I might explain them in details later when I have time