What's new

Match-up Discussion Batman LIVING Match-Up Discussion (UPDATED)

FinalBoss_FGC

Day -4MONTHS Dual Jin main
I'm making this because nobody else will and I'm tired of surfing through 20 pages to find relevant information about a matchup...so here we go.

If you have any information involving a match-up, tag me in the post and I'll make adjustments ASAP.

Basically, what I want to do with this is just leave it to Match-Up discussion only...if you have any links referring to you beating a character, I will also put it under that character's name.

The layout will be MU numbers in parenthesis and a description of how to play the MU afterwards. Any videos will be SPOILER to keep the thread neat, but will have the name of the controller of Batman then who they are playing (Ex - McPeak vs BigOleDick).
______________________________________________________​

THANKS TO THE INCREDIBLE HELP OF:
RapZiLLa54

Aquaman - (4-6) Aquaman match-up is amongst the hardest for Batman. His D2 has a crazy hitbox that will punish you big-time if you try to jump in. Aquaman's trait also causes problems for us, as it takes the 3rd hit in a string to pop him up, so he can trait out of our strings easily. Being a lame bat also doesn't work because Aquaman's a great counter-zoner with From The Deep. I haven't got any active ways of beating him besides taking advantage of already-used trait by using bats then jumping for cross-up

Ares - (5-5) Ares before the d2 buff was a problem (his j2 was on our level j2) but now I think it might be in our favor but still youhave to be cautionary due to his teleport. His d1 is a low and combos into his trait. His grab is extremely rangy and compliments his teleport mixups well so be on the look out to break (tech) grabs. His teleport is full combo punishable with 123 or 113 but the window is tight. His mb projectile is an overhead so don't get crouch happy.

Bane - (6-4) Bane's problem in the match-up is the fact that he really has to get in. You can see him charging from a mile away with it's slow start-up and you can either jump over, send bats, or batarang mb (the last two stuffs the charge). But once he gets in, be aware of his armored attacks. Don't be afraid to block then punish. Bane's best attack is his D1 which can be canceled into armored command grab, B2, or double punch. Just keep an eye on his venom gauge at the bottom and play smart.

Batgirl - (5-5) Still learning this one, shes annoying as hell.

Black Adam - (4-6) Black Adam's key game concept is whiff punishing, that's when he's most effective...he also has above average zoning/counter-zoning and does heavy damage with combos (and his trait). Getting in isn't a major problem because the slow start-up frames for BA's Black Magic and his bolts, so you can block it on reaction while rushing forward. Jumping back causes trouble for Black Adam and well timed released bats can hit him out of divekick. Just watch for whiff punishes and Lightning Cage wake-up...that shit cray.

Catwoman - (6-4) Catwoman has to get in to do significant damage, which she can do...don't underestimate her. If you keep her at bay with Batarangs and bats, you'll be golden.

Cyborg - (5-5) No more block infinite yay - Courtesy of the genius of RapZiLLa54

Deathstroke - (5-5) Playing Deathstroke is like playing chess. Play slow, play smart, a wrong choice or two and you're left blundering to catch up. Just block his shots, get in slow, and block his wake-up and you'll win.

Doomsday - (5-5) You can parry Doomsday's Shoulder Charge, if you get used to forward dashing on reaction to Supernova, then you'll be fine for the most part...just don't put yourself in a predicament where you're in a corner...can be a bitch to get out with his trait.

Flash - (5-5) Flash is definitely a great character with all of these buffs (not sayings he wasn't beforehand, but holy shit...chill NRS). Flash still has to get in, and his best way to do that is his charge, which can be stuffed with bats or batarang if you time it correctly. Zone him out and you'll get the W

Green Arrow - (6-4) We outzone Green Arrow, I realize how dumb that sounds. Our Batarang and Grapple Hook works wonder while he tries to pull out arrows. REMEMBER THAT D1 DOES NOT COMBO INTO TRAIT, SO YOU CAN JUMP OUT IF YOU BLOCK D1.

Green Lantern - (6-4) Turtling with Batman can be extremely effective against Green Lantern. Checking your opponent with Batarang (MB or not) will keep them from getting in close. Do not try to actively attack them, GL's Lantern Might will catch you doing just about anything but blocking, so rushdown is difficult to accomplish, well timed crossovers aren't effected by LM. Keep an eye on the b13 animation and if you block, check for trait cancel into Lantern's Might. If you block it, you can full combo. The only thing to really be aware of is Oa's Rocket at full screen. Oa's Rocket can be Meter Burned a while after it hits, even on block.

Harley Quinn - (6-4) Staying in tight with Harley works..and boy, would I stay in tight with her ;). Try to keep her from being able to get her zoning going and watch her Tantrum Stance.

Hawkgirl - (5-5) Not enough experience so I'm not sure but I know Up Batarang and Sky Grapple give her trait of flight fits.

Joker - (7-3) Batarang animation goes under Joker gun shot for whatever reason making it even more of a joke...get it? Joker? jo-..nevermind

Killer Frost - (5-5) Killer Frost is a bitch, but we have answers. You can jump back on her slide. You can hit her with bats on the slide, as well. Just try to keep your distance, while you can and watch for her spikes and her daggers. Save bats for slide.

Lex - (6-4) Do not get trapped full screen vs him, he'll become a nightmare. Also his bomb can be blocked low, its not unblockable which is a common misconception. Due to Lex's heavy start up on a majority of his zoning tools, grapple really gives him problems and batarangs being a 2 hit projectile knocks him out of his trait. We can full combo punish Corps Charge with 123 or 113.

Lobo - (6-4 or 7-3) No info yet, just know everyone beats him

Nightwing - (4-6) Nightwing getting in on us is a big problem with staff, it pokes from 10 miles away and can jump back on our jump ins and hit us with the staff. Now, they can footsie better with Escrima. Try to whiff punish staff and use bats to get in. A well timed B23 can stuff Flying Grayson, too.

Raven - (5-5) Raven will outzone us and can catch us in air with Soul Crush and Singularity. Use bats to get in and do work.

Shazam - (4-6) This match drives me insane. His d1 (batmans kryptonite) is great and he can spam torpedo on us. Even with bats, its difficult to punish and he has a great j2 as well. With all his wake up or die setups and Batman getting practically no damage off slide, he has nothing to fear. - RapZiLLa54 being extremely helpful, again

Sinestro - (5-5) Sinestro will knock you full screen and charge his trait. If he gets trait, then he has a way to stuff your jump-ins, your push, when you try to throw batarangs, when you call bats - when you do just about everything. Stay on Sinestro's ass and watch out for Arachnid Sting wake-up and punish it. If you stay close to Sinestro, it'll be your game

Grundy - (6-4) He has to come to you and bats plus any combo string or f3/b3 beat out his WC. Every blocked swamp hands allows us to get a batarang on screen. He also can't jump over MB Batarangs.

Scorpion - (5-5) We can full combo every special he has. Now that the nerfs have happened, his JI3 is like giving someone a high-five. Watch his hellfire and teleport, you still don't wanna get caught up in that guessing game.

Superman - (5-5) Superman will outzone you with his 45 different ways of shooting lasers out of his eyes. But parry doesn't allow him most of his mixups so you can always block low and then parry 22*3 on reaction. Also, NJ2 beats his go-to f23~Super Breath loop.

Wonder Woman - (5-5) She has to come to you so you can create a wall of bats and up batarang for win/win situations. Stuff her air dash with up batarang MB to full combo and make sure you keep her back to the wall, you don't wanna be corner fucked by her (at least, not on the game) she can OTG for daaays

RapZiLLa54

Monster Island Tournaments
Some Lex info.

Do not get trapped full screen vs him, he'll become a nightmare. Also his bomb can be blocked low, its not unblockable which is a common misconception. Due to Lexs heavy start up on a majority of his zoning tools, grapple really gives him problems and batarangs being a 2 hit projectile knocks him out of his trait. We can full combo punish Corps Charge with 123 or 113.

Ares before the d2 buff was a problem (his j2 was on our level j2) but now I think it might be in our favor but still you have to be cautionary due to his teleport. His d1 is a low and combos into his trait. His grab is extremely rangy and compliments his teleport mixups well so be on the look out to break (tech) grabs. His teleport is full combo punishable with 123 or 113 but the window is tight. His mb projectile is an overhead so don't get crouch happy.

Reptile Orion

A Fire Will Rise.
Random Aquaman Matchup Thoughts

Batman vs. Aquaman is a tough matchup but it can be won with a little patience.

First of all let’s discuss some of Aquaman’s strengths.

Aquaman’s B3 and F3 are not to be trifled with. They both have great range and a competent opponent will punish you with a full juggle combo (Ex. B3, J3, 22, Trident Scoop, 22, F2 ~1+3) if it connects.

Aquaman’s D1 is also very dangerous and few characters can punish it. It is in my opinion one of the best pokes in the games. If it connects your opponent can start a combo using the Trident Scoop, From the Deep, or Trident Rush (Ex. D1, Trident Scoop, 22, F2 ~1+3). If you back dash you will still get hit. Aquaman’s F1 is also dangerous, safe on block, and can lead into combos (Ex. F1, Trident Scoop, 22, F2 ~1+3)

Aquaman’s D2 is god like. Enough said. If you get caught by a competent opponent you are in for a juggle combo (Ex. D2, 22, Trident Scoop, 22, F2 ~1+3).

Aquaman’s From the Deep can check you anywhere on the screen with the MB version leading into various combos (Ex. DB2 MB, DB2 or DB2, F2 ~1+3). This move is also great checking an opponent after a knockdown (Tom Brady created a fantastic YouTube video explaining this). When full screen expect don’t be surprised if you see a Trident Toss.

Aquaman’s J2 is also dangerous it can also lead into a combo (when used as an air to air) when facing a competent opponent (Ex. J2, 22, Trident Scoop, 22, F2 ~1+3).

Aquaman’s Trident Rush is safe on block and also provides chip damage. Competent Aquaman players will use this against you.

Aquaman’s water shield can also protect him against attacks and projectiles. The MB version will push you full screen if it connects.

Aquaman players will utilizes a great deal of B12, B2, and F1. These strings provide the foundation for Aquaman’s mixup game.

In a nutshell a competent opponent will want to keep you in range for all of these attacks, check you with space control/zoning if you’re a full screen away, and end all combos with F2~1+3 (hard knockdown) to dictate the pace of the match.

With that being said here is how I approach the match with Batman.

I personally avoid using Batman’s J2.

You’re going to have to use other tools in Batman’s utility belt (no pun intended J) in order to win the matchup.

Space wise you want to be slightly outside of Aquaman’s range. I try to limit my dashes in order to avoid being caught by From the Deep. I don’t want to be too far away because it’s always a pain getting back in.

At the beginning of the match I will have Batman’s trait ready (It’s one of the best in the game – use it). The mechanical bats will be used primarily as an anti air, combo extender, and pressure. I prefer to rush Aquaman after deploying a Bat. This will force my opponent to block and open them up with B113 or B112. I also like to use the Bats if my opponent whiffs an attack. I like to follow up with a BnB combo. At this point you can use:

123, B2, Air Grapple MB, B3, J3, B23
B113, B2, Front Grapple MB, B3, J3, B23
F3, J2, 123, B23
etc.

Check out:
Rapzilla’s Batman Combo Thread

You can use any combo you feel comfortable executing. I’m not afraid to keep Aquaman in check with 12, Batarang. Don’t be afraid to bait an opponent with the charging versions of B3 and F3. You can back dash out of it and follow it up with a front grapple MB for a reset or even a MB batarang.

After this initial rush down I would back away outside of Aquaman’s attack range. You can always continue the rush down but you’ll potentially put yourself at risk (opponent can wake up with Trident Scoop or Trident Rush). I prefer to wait for an opening/whiff before going back in.

I’m not afraid to use B23 if I’m in range due to it beginning with a mid then transitioning to an overhead and back to a mid. It also places Batman back in projectile range whether it hits or is blocked. It can also be used as an anti air if Aquaman jumps in. If blocked you can follow it up with the mechanical bats or slide kick. If it connects you can either maintain your space or rush down.

I limit my use of MB B3 or F3. Proper meter management is critical in this matchup. I also limit my use of the slide as a wakeup but you may catch an opponent napping if you throw it out during the match. If I find myself grounded I prefer to back dash upon wakeup in order to get out of Aquaman’s range.

I would limit the use of Batman’s parry because it appears that only 112-3, F1-32 can be parried.

Check out:
Jer’s Batman Parry Guide

Don’t get too grapple or batarang happy! If you do you’re likely to be punished upon block with a From the Deep. I prefer not to give an opponent easy damage.

The key to this matchup is patience. If you put yourself at risk by jumping in or using something punishable you will pay the price against a competent opponent. Simply take what your opponent gives you, punish, and be aware of what Aquaman can do.

I hope this helps and I hope this clear and without too many grammatical errors because I’m publishing my first draft. :D

RWDY Nori

Where is crossplay?
My man, you really need to update the Bane matchup. There is so much more to him than just waiting for some scrub charge.

Batman vs Bane: Trait is your best friend. Don't randomly throw out gatling gun or he will armor charge right through you, then he's on top of you and w/your shitty wake up, you're fucked. Don't just randomly cross him up either, his venom uppercut w/armor on (and keep in mind, bane often has access to armor) and will beat both sides. Your object is to bait out the venom uppercut and full combo punish. You generally do not want to be in his neighborhood and don't blindly throw out gadget. Also, his D1 is his best normal. On block, he's plus. On hit, he's even more plus and it's a huge advantage. Your best bet is to block the d1 and backdash. You do not, under any circumstances, want him in your face mixing you up. He can do:

D1, command grab (command grab can have armor also)
D1, double punch to keep you honest (and again, double armor is not only safe but can have armor sometimes as well)
D1, into B2 mixups (it looks like he's stomping, it's a low starter that can lead to 90% if you aren't careful)

WATCH HIS TRAIT. If you see it's run out, attack. He is taking more damage now. Once it runs out, keep him away from you if you can.

If played right, this is a 6-4 matchup in your favor.

RWDY Nori

Where is crossplay?
McPeak here IMO are some corrections:

DS is not 5-5, it's 6-4 in your favor. Block dash your way in to DS and he really has no answer for Batman's up close harassment. He has to take a huge risk in sword flip to get you off of him.

You for sure do not beat WW 6-4. You will be lucky to get 5-5, but it's more likely 4-6 towards her. I'm assuming you have yet to truly play a well rounded WW. To be fair, they are rare, but that doesn't change the matchup. You can't zone her out. Once she's in shield stance, she takes much less damage. Her movement is up there w/BA. She can get in and get out as good as Muhammad Ali. She can start a full combo off of a D1. The fact she controls the air also, be very careful. She also good wakeup option in the spinning lasso as well. If you bait this out, full combo punish.

Oh, and if she knocks you down in the corner, just get ready for the round 2 animation. She has OTG setups where you cannot wake up or do anything. Her dive is PLUS on block. She has in the corner, the best 50/50 in the game. She has B2 (the long whip) into full combo. Or she has a very fast standing low starter, 33 into full corner combo and these are both BEFORE the OTG nonsense

RWDY Nori

Where is crossplay?
Nori Batousai

that better? was hard to really break that down to where it won't flood the thread
Yes much better. And don't be afraid to flood the thread, put as much information (that's accurate) as possible, especially if this is going to be the new reference for matchups, which will most likely be visited frequently if that's the case

FinalBoss_FGC

McPeak here IMO are some corrections:

DS is not 5-5, it's 6-4 in your favor. Block dash your way in to DS and he really has no answer for Batman's up close harassment. He has to take a huge risk in sword flip to get you off of him.

You for sure do not beat WW 6-4. You will be lucky to get 5-5, but it's more likely 4-6 towards her. I'm assuming you have yet to truly play a well rounded WW. To be fair, they are rare, but that doesn't change the matchup. You can't zone her out. Once she's in shield stance, she takes much less damage. Her movement is up there w/BA. She can get in and get out as good as Muhammad Ali. She can start a full combo off of a D1. The fact she controls the air also, be very careful. She also good wakeup option in the spinning lasso as well. If you bait this out, full combo punish.

Oh, and if she knocks you down in the corner, just get ready for the round 2 animation. She has OTG setups where you cannot wake up or do anything. Her dive is PLUS on block. She has in the corner, the best 50/50 in the game. She has B2 (the long whip) into full combo. Or she has a very fast standing low starter, 33 into full corner combo and these are both BEFORE the OTG nonsense

I played Glass Sword at MWC when I had no idea what I was doing...I was able to rush with bats and up batarang his air dash...He was getting pissed but I kept dropping combos so I lost. I could see 5-5...not 4-6 as long as you keep her back to the corner, and not yours

RWDY Nori

Where is crossplay?
McPeak This was similar to the Bane comments you made last week. You don't seem very familiar w/what the char can truly do. Try to play @a foxy grampa if you can, that's what a WW should look like. This isn't to say Batman can't beat her. Batman is batman, he can beat anybody if he plays right, but matchup is about your tools vs my tools and WW doesn't lose to anybody in this game, especially not Batman. You can't turtle her, good luck rushing her down, and she has possibly the best corner game

Metzos

You will BOW to me!
McPeak, regarding the Batman - DD MU, i believe Batman wins against DD. Why ? Simple. Parry. Batman can parry pretty much everything DD does, except upward venom and ES, even when DD has trait on. I really dont know why that happens when DD's trait description clearly states that DD cannot be launched or knocked down and parry clearly counts as a knock down. Now, i know parry can be baited but you must take into consideration that being able to parry a traited DD nullifies, pretty much completely, his corner pressure and pressure in general. Also Batman has faster normals up close and he can easily bait DD's AA's with double jumps and scatter bombs. If i had to break down the MU real quickly it would be:

Full screen: Batman wins (it could be even if DD uses meter to burn for MB Supernova, but its not worth it imo. )

Mid screen: DD wins slightly (if the Batman player can anticipate any incoming venom he can parry them.)

Up close: Batman wins.

Imo, its 6 - 4 in Batman's favor. Thats all i can think off right now.

Post edited.

FinalBoss_FGC

McPeak This was similar to the Bane comments you made last week. You don't seem very familiar w/what the char can truly do. Try to play @a foxy grampa if you can, that's what a WW should look like. This isn't to say Batman can't beat her. Batman is batman, he can beat anybody if he plays right, but matchup is about your tools vs my tools and WW doesn't lose to anybody in this game, especially not Batman. You can't turtle her, good luck rushing her down, and she has possibly the best corner game
I was trolling about Bane last week lmao I never played a really good one. What I did worked in the match-up. I put a lil more info but for now I think it's fine until someone picks up the sticks and plays me and shows me otherwise, also be advised that I'm not the best that Batman can be...that's basically what MU numbers are...idk why I put 6-4...but I strongly believe it's even, whereas WW's only bad MU is vs GL

FinalBoss_FGC

I was trolling about Bane last week lmao I never played a really good one. What I did worked in the match-up. I put a lil more info but for now I think it's fine until someone picks up the sticks and plays me and shows me otherwise, also be advised that I'm not the best that Batman can be...that's basically what MU numbers are...idk why I put 6-4...but I strongly believe it's even, whereas WW's only bad MU is vs GL

RWDY Nori

Where is crossplay?
McPeak You can't base a matchup on "somebody picking up the sticks and beating you". W/that logic, a really good Harley Quinn can beat you and it would be 3-7 or 4-6. It's on paper only. Browse around that char's forums, take your time, look at their tools and compare them to yours (batmans). Look up "a foxy grandpa wonder woman" on youtube.com, then come back and tell me she beats batman. I just don't see it

And WW doesn't struggle, as a char, against GL. It's just impatient WW players who really like to rushdown (this is where she excels, so it's natural). When she is in shield stance (SS) she takes much less damage. Block, dash. Block, dash. It's boring as shit and annoying to approach the matchup like this, but you have to. She gets in, GL is in trouble, just like the rest of the cast.

You double quoted me. Stop cheating

FinalBoss_FGC

McPeak, regarding the Batman - DD MU, i believe Batman wins against DD. Why ? Simple. Parry. Batman can parry pretty much everything DD does, except upward venom and ES, even when DD has trait on. I really dont know why that happens when DD's trait description clearly states that DD cannot be launched or knocked down and parry clearly counts as a knock down. Now, i know parry can be baited but you must take into consideration that being able to parry a traited DD nullifies, pretty much completely, his corner pressure and pressure in general. Also Batman has faster normals up close and he can easily bait DD's AA's with double jumps and scatter bombs. If i had to break down the MU real quickly it would be:

Full screen: Batman wins (it could be even if DD uses meter to burn for MB Supernova, but its not worth it imo. )

Mid screen: DD wins slightly (if the Batman player can anticipate any incoming venom he can parry them.)

Up close: Batman wins.

Imo, its 6 - 4 in Batman's favor. Thats all i can think off right now.

Post edited.
So you don't think DDs should punish projectiles with MB Nova?

FinalBoss_FGC

McPeak You can't base a matchup on "somebody picking up the sticks and beating you". W/that logic, a really good Harley Quinn can beat you and it would be 3-7 or 4-6. It's on paper only. Browse around that char's forums, take your time, look at their tools and compare them to yours (batmans). Look up "a foxy grandpa wonder woman" on youtube.com, then come back and tell me she beats batman. I just don't see it

And WW doesn't struggle, as a char, against GL. It's just impatient WW players who really like to rushdown (this is where she excels, so it's natural). When she is in shield stance (SS) she takes much less damage. Block, dash. Block, dash. It's boring as shit and annoying to approach the matchup like this, but you have to. She gets in, GL is in trouble, just like the rest of the cast.

You double quoted me. Stop cheating

Batman has tools for every situation, I've watched AFG play...he even says he has problems with GL. For some reason, everyone thinks GL is a zoning character?? Lantern's Might is one of the best specials in the game cuz if you aren't blocking, it'll catch you unless you're armored. I think Batman has the tools to go even with WW....that is all.

Metzos

You will BOW to me!
So you don't think DDs should punish projectiles with MB Nova?
Imo, no, unless you have a big meter advantage or life lead. Well, perhaps as a mean to get in and stay in, not as a solid strategy for punishing projectiles in general. Up batarangs also help Batman against Nova and body splash, if Batman positions himself correctly. After blocking a batarang just dash in and get closer in venom/MB venom range where DD has a chance. You need the bars for MB venom rather than MB Nova. If Batman couldnt parry DD when he has trait on i could see it as an even MU, but as it is now, i dont see it happening tbh with you. The main problem here is that Batman can parry a traited DD which is stupid. That alone swifts the balance in Batman's favor.

FinalBoss_FGC

Imo, no, unless you have a big meter advantage or life lead. Well, perhaps as a mean to get in and stay in, not as a solid strategy for punishing projectiles in general. Up batarangs also help Batman against Nova and body splash, if Batman positions himself correctly. After blocking a batarang just dash in and get closer in venom/MB venom range where DD has a chance. You need the bars for MB venom rather than MB Nova. If Batman couldnt parry DD when he has trait on i could see it as an even MU, but as it is now, i dont see it happening tbh with you. The main problem here is that Batman can parry a traited DD which is stupid. That alone swifts the balance in Batman's favor.

This is all helpful information, I'll change it a little but I don't want new Batmains to expect MB Venom and never expect a MB Nova (Nova seems to be used more often online) lol thanks bud

Mt Mutombo

Banned
I see the BA matchup 5-5. There is absolutely nothing BA can do on a Batman jump in he has no good AAs, and he gets those free with bats, and whiff punishing or poking batman isn't as free as with other characters.

FinalBoss_FGC

I see the BA matchup 5-5. There is absolutely nothing BA can do on a Batman jump in he has no good AAs, and he gets those free with bats, and whiff punishing or poking batman isn't as free as with other characters.
Batman is the T-Rex of Injustice...he doesn't have a lot of reach so BA can just step back to whiff punish. If BA players don't have a terrible d2 now after buff. I could see it as 5-5 right now, but the little reach is a huge disadvantage for Bman vs BA

Georgie

Ex Shadow Kick
My input against Aquaman:

1.) Since you cant really jump at him use B3 as much as you can and use trait to make aquaman block the B3, You're +12 iirc after B3 so you can get a B2 afterwards and mix him up with B2xxTrait B11 etc.

2.) his pokes have range but lack speed you can punish most of his strings with trait.

McPeak

Don't you mean Shazam's D4 is good? Not his D1, unless I've been misinformed...

Also, I think you're overrating batman's parry in some matchup's
for example: Superman's 223 string. good luck reacting to the last hit in tournament

Superman can mixup after the 22 so you shouldn't risk interrupting it with a parry.

In my experience, NJ2ing Superman's F23 breath string is risky cause he can just wait and anti-air you with another F23 when you wiff it. Stick to low risk options like push-blocking... or even better--back dashing (Batman's back dash is super good) then, when they start chasing your back dash after they F23 breath, preemptively stuff their dash with with your 113 or 123.

Also, I doubt you'll use the parry under pressure unless it's on a fantastic read, vs a slow startup special or swag.