What's new

Baraka General Discussion

1man3letters

Alpha Tarkatan - Moderator
A thing i found out i didnt know before

If you use the kb from baraserker you cant use the kb from blade charge and vice versa.
(You have to have blade charged equipped to even be able to use the baraserker one) but this is news to me both cant kb in same match

1man3letters

The buffer window added to breakaways (which causing accidentally breaking away alot) also killed barakas f44 kb fb. Bye bye near half life unbreakable damage

ManiacFGC

Button Masher Extraordinaire
The buffer window added to breakaways (which causing accidentally breaking away alot) also killed barakas f44 kb fb. Bye bye near half life unbreakable damage
I thought it was just me that you can do the breakaway a whole lot earlier. But i've hit someone with the KB F4,4 into FB yesterday and i swear they broke as early as possible.

1man3letters

How? I don't understand
Before u had to time the actually break away and its was extremely tight to do, dont want to throw out just frame but its was crazy tight to breakaway from and fb still not hit you since was no buffer

Now just hold down+block after the f44 hits and the fb will whiff 10/10 easy everytime

MsMiharo

Kuff Bano
Before u had to time the actually break away and its was extremely tight to do, dont want to throw out just frame but its was crazy tight to breakaway from and fb still not hit you since was no buffer

Now just hold down+block after the f44 hits and the fb will whiff 10/10 easy everytime
That seems like an oversight. But it sucks either way

Espio

Kokomo
I really like Berzerker Baraka, just started Kombat League this season and am a fan. Doing 50/50 Berzerker and Emerald Defender.

Baraka is finally erratic and fun to play. Marauder is good as hell, but boring and Bone Picker just doesn't seem to have the synergy I would like. The safe gapless special is really strong and is really discounted right now.

I like punch walk a lot for the coverts and corner carry. Not really using blade charge as of yet but it's definitely seems to have priority on Jade's back 2 which is intriguing.

Baraka got done right this patch and his evasiveness and ability to be low key in tier circles is a true boon for him.

I like to throw Blade Charge every now and again on people who don't expect it coming (it's pretty quick too) or on a jump kick

It's pretty useful for bringing people into the corner behind you

I love this character, i consider him my main. he's too cool not to play. But oh my god are his other variations dull to play. They might be "viable" vs people that have absolutely no idea how to play the MU, but seriously who are we kidding. Gimmicks at best. Yolo blade charge and yolo grapple for what? baby dick damage. Am I alone in thinking this?

/salt /booze

Espio

Kokomo
I love this character, i consider him my main. he's too cool not to play. But oh my god are his other variations dull to play. They might be "viable" vs people that have absolutely no idea how to play the MU, but seriously who are we kidding. Gimmicks at best. Yolo blade charge and yolo grapple for what? baby dick damage. Am I alone in thinking this?

/salt /booze
Having played most of Season 4 Kombat League with Berserker, I 100% disagree. Berserker is one of the few times I feel like I can stop people from mashing buttons and create legitimate mind games after blocking pokes because of his punch walk and leg kebob. Only this variation allows Baraka to punish people for huge crushing blow damage for trying to flawless block Forward 2,1,2. It makes doing so extremely unattractive. He also gets over 20% meterless for a punish and the opponent cannot break away in this variation off of his punch walk. If you wanna add a bar of meter to it, it goes up to 25%(they can break away from this one, but they can only break away at the end so it's dumb/not worth it to break away at this point).

The corner carry is fantastic on this move too and dealing with his punchwalk is a 50/50 even if you block it. The meter burn is safe -3 but can be flawless blocked while the unsafe version cannot be interrupted with fatal blow or flawless block. So they have to guess right on a poke if the Baraka is gonna cancel into a special or just go into a throw or more pressure and then even if they do guess right and he goes into punch walk, they have to guess which version he's going to do.

Then there's blade charge which gives him a meterless positional change. Most characters have to spend a bar of meter for that and blade charge and punchwalk have godlike corner carry so if he can play well he can get people into the corner quickly and all of his strings and leg kebob give him additional mix ups and if the opponent blocks? He's safe on the mix ups so who cares.

I've been playing a lot of super competent players and even knowing the match up and knowing the punishes doesn't stop Berserker from being potent as hell. Baraka's base kit is excellent and his strong corner carry and safe mix ups compliment his core kit in an extraordinary way.

As for Bone Picker, I mean half screen command grab is solid as hell and spike burst is great anti-air and can be tagged on certain strings to be plus. I don't use it anymore because Berserker provides me everything I need and want because my biggest problem was not being able to force blocks enough, but the mix off of 1,1 and Back 3 command grab etc are really solid. The depth and mind games of Bone Picker is definitely underrated if utilized in a deep, nuanced way.

I get that people like the easy damage of Marauder and what not, but it doesn't invalidate the other two.

I prefer berserker as well, very versatile, not that much dmg but good range on his specials and some mix ups. But why even have tick dmg on his bf4? It is 0.25 or so? They could have simply added it as raw dmg to it imo

Espio

Kokomo
This is my Baraka against some solid opponents, really enjoy Berserker and feel like developing mind games is so fun and rewarding for this variation.

Versus Liu Kang

Versus Frost

Yoo, didn't know that you can combo after f44 kb:eek: I bet you already know it but after his pop up kbs, instant j1 into 112 bf2 or 3 gives a bit more dmg

denuke

Noob
Guys what do you use for anti air? D2 is great but what about more damage? S1 looks weak, and I don’t see conversion after S2 and S4. But d4 works okay so far followed by f21 or f4+special move. The best I see in marauder fd1-f4+gutted...

Last edited:

Espio

Kokomo
Guys what do you use for anti air? D2 is great but what about more damage? S1 looks weak, and I don’t see conversion after S4. But d4 works great so far followed by f21+special move.
Down 2 at certain heights leads to combos across multiple variations like I'll do something like down 2 down 1, Barakaserker or in Bone Picker Down 1, command grab. Even without those combos, 14% adds up so quickly. 28% for two, I've combo'd you without comboing you more or less. Reliability is always better than damage. There's no point in a damaging anti-air if if it is only effective 20% of the time. The other 80% you're either getting opened and launched for example.

Jump 1 or jump 3 can be used to anti-air as well and I use these sometimes. People are too fixated on using it for jump ins, but I've kept my defense in order with them as well.

Then you have variation specific stuff like Bone Picker's spikes.

I've never tried standing 1, but my suggestion if you're going to use standing one is to probably try walking back first.

Other things I like that barely anyone does including myself is scouting a jump in and dashing under it. A lot of times people are in recovery and may try to press buttons but they will suffer for trying to be reckless/wild with it.

denuke

Noob
Need a dash after d2?
I don’t know... df1 in marauder has pretty good hitbox and gives 35% or so. Jump 1 or 3 you mean jump forward? But that’s could not be on reaction? Neutral or forward jump 2 is sick though.

1man3letters

Suprized noone mentioned f2, awesome for aa since barakas hurtbox is behind his blade, great for stupid jump ins, like dvorah, kabal, kitana etc

Obviously bone picker spikes is the king of all aa's in this gsme, catching aa spikes to blood lunge or spikes to f21-blood lunge always feels do good to land

denuke

Noob
Suprized noone mentioned f2, awesome for aa since barakas hurtbox is behind his blade, great for stupid jump ins, like dvorah, kabal, kitana etc

Obviously bone picker spikes is the king of all aa's in this gsme, catching aa spikes to blood lunge or spikes to f21-blood lunge always feels do good to land
How do you catch it of spikes? I can only do it from very close jump in.

will try f2.

Hellbringer

1 2 3 drink
Do you want to get rated on your editing skills or your actual gameplay?
Cause i had to turn it off after too much screaming, and not even whole matches recorded.
Friendly advice lvl up your commentary or leave it out, cause to me it was not funny it was annoying, reminded me of some twitchchat on fortnite.

KabalYT

Noob
Do you want to get rated on your editing skills or your actual gameplay?
Cause i had to turn it off after too much screaming, and not even whole matches recorded.
Friendly advice lvl up your commentary or leave it out, cause to me it was not funny it was annoying, reminded me of some twitchchat on fortnite.
Understood, few people like my screaming and I have debated on just leaving the whole match up, I mainly just want people to judge the gameplay, everything else is optional like editing, commentary, so ya

Hellbringer

1 2 3 drink
Understood, few people like my screaming and I have debated on just leaving the whole match up, I mainly just want people to judge the gameplay, everything else is optional like editing, commentary, so ya
Upload some full matches without the screaming and ill gladly will review your video.