What's new

Awesome Argument on WNF

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cat

This guy looks kind of tuff...
Lol true. But mk9 does have it's own things that I believe make it great and different. Like breakers. And I don't recall sf4 having teleport moves. Also I see how xray can be like a ultra but they have big differences. For one. The meter for ultra is diffrent since it's based on getting hit and what not. And it's a diffrent meter compared to the meter used for ex moves. I guess it's more like a super special. Anyways I like how it is now. If I wanted a sf4 style of play I would play sf4. Lol aka yun edition.

Lol true. But mk9 does have it's own things that I believe make it great and different. Like breakers. And I don't recall sf4 having teleport moves. Also I see how xray can be like a ultra but they have big differences. For one. The meter for ultra is diffrent since it's based on getting hit and what not. And it's a diffrent meter compared to the meter used for ex moves. I guess it's more like a super special. Anyways I like how it is now. If I wanted a sf4 style of play I would play sf4. Lol aka yun edition.
That is pretty much what I was trying to say. I like MK9s flavor much more the sf, but sf has much better execution at the moment. If NRS can work the tweaks out of it so that it is running sf-caliber, then I won't have to pick up any sf characters.

Rathalos

Play Monster Hunter!
I mean hell, they gave everyone a zoning tool and almost everyone a damn teleport. How generic is that?
I think they got kinda screwed because of past mistakes when it comes to this though, all those projectiles and teleports were in the past games, and since this is relying so much on nostalgia, they couldn't just remove iconic character abilities.

At this point in time, MK9 is hardly even MK anymore, it plays nothing like the past games, they need to really just start gutting some shit, like the uppercut, and generic jump kicks, and how certain characters play, jax has no real reason to be able to shoot purple lasers.

SF4AE: Yun Edition
MK9: Kung Edition

Damn Chinese are so cheap!
Well I don't think kung is as broken as he once was anymore. And I don't think Yun is quite as broken as folks think he is. People like to overhype the OPness of some characters a little too quickly. (Although I do agree Yun could use a nerf, just saying he doesn't break the game).

Sequel

Boob Titbot
I think they got kinda screwed because of past mistakes when it comes to this though, all those projectiles and teleports were in the past games, and since this is relying so much on nostalgia, they couldn't just remove iconic character abilities.

At this point in time, MK9 is hardly even MK anymore, it plays nothing like the past games, they need to really just start gutting some shit, like the uppercut, and generic jump kicks, and how certain characters play, jax has no real reason to be able to shoot purple lasers.
I forgot to mention the generic uppercuts in my previous post. That stuff just reeks of lacking depth. And it's a cop-out excuse to say that it's a good way to balance fighters.

Sequel

Boob Titbot
Well I don't think kung is as broken as he once was anymore. And I don't think Yun is quite as broken as folks think he is. People like to overhype the OPness of some characters a little too quickly. (Although I do agree Yun could use a nerf, just saying he doesn't break the game).
Kung was never broken. Tom Brady confirmed this within the first month. Let me ask you a straight question. When you get hit by Kung Lao's 112 xx Spin, JK~DK, Roll xx Spin. Is it Kung Lao's fault or yours for not blocking properly? (You realize Ermac's most basic BnB does more damage right? It took me literally 5 minutes to learn it)

Another question. When you block a spin and you do not react fast enough to punishing it (everyone can at LEAST dash up throw btw after blocked spin) is it Kung's fault or yours for not punishing it properly?

Another question. When Kung Lao throws his Low Hat (another gripe from Kung haters) do you A) Block it B) Get hit by it or C) Jump over it ?

Another question. When you see him teleport do you punish it with an uppercut?

Just curious. Anyone can take a crack at these btw. I don't want to derail the thread into Kung vs The World - however I do plan on educating everyone who has problems playing against Kung. It seems to be working so far with players who have reached out and asked for my advice on how to tackle him.

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
Old MK games were not taken seriously until now. By some yes, but by many? No. This is really the first time almost everyone in the FGC has taken interest in a MK game. When was the last time MK was headlining at EVO?

And it does have things like SF4. LOL. X-Ray is like Ultra. Enhanced moves are like EX moves. So on the surface MK9 in fact DID copy SF4. Think about it. They put all the flash in there to compete with current games like SF but left out all the meat which makes games like SF and VF great.
This is what I said before MK9 even came out, they even added the dash which was never in MK until MK9. What I think happened was, was that NRS looked at successful tournament games, and tried to implement some of the aspects of those games into MK9. On one hand you can say "good job, they're taking an interest in the tournament community", but on the other you can say "that just proves that they can't make a tournament worthy game on their own". One of the reasons that UMK3 has survived for 16+ years is because of how unique it is, and that it's a great competitive game and tournament viable. That's what NRS failed to realize imo. They already had a great starting point with UMK3, instead of asking themselves why UMK3 has been successful and is still played today, building on that and adding more uniqueness, they just copied other fighters making it a generic fighter.

CaliJokerstyle

Dies A Lot
I have never thought KL was broken, he has his riddles to figure out just like any character. I get hate all the time for my Sindel and Noob zoning techniques but you can get around them. Its how games are supposed to work. If you do the wrong thing you pay if you do it right you advance simple as that.

Kung was never broken. Tom Brady confirmed this within the first month. Let me ask you a straight question. When you get hit by Kung Lao's 112 xx Spin, JK~DK, Roll xx Spin. Is it Kung Lao's fault or yours for not blocking properly?

Another question. When you block a spin and you do not react fast enough to punishing it (everyone can at LEAST dash up throw btw after blocked spin) is it Kung's fault or yours for not punishing it properly?

Another question. When Kung Lao throws his Low Hat (another gripe from Kung haters) do you A) Block it B) Get hit by it or C) Jump over it ?

Another question. When you see him teleport do you punish it with an uppercut?

Just curious. Anyone can take a crack at these btw. I don't want to derail the thread into Kung vs The World - however I do plan on educating everyone who has problems playing against Kung. It seems to be working so far with players who have reached out and asked for my advice on how to tackle him.
Wasn't trying to suggest Kung was breaking the game, just that damage tweaks were okay. I was mainly saying Yun isn't breaking SF because a lot of folks in the streams last night were complaining that AE's yun broke SF. That was just a random thought on Yun. If anything I was anti any patches to MK9 outside of removing bugs and infinites until the major balancing patch.

I mean I disagree with a lot of the damage scaling in MK in general, so kung isn't the only character I think was/is a bit heavy in the damage department. His move set was fine.

I have never thought KL was broken, he has his riddles to figure out just like any character. I get hate all the time for my Sindel and Noob zoning techniques but you can get around them. Its how games are supposed to work. If you do the wrong thing you pay if you do it right you advance simple as that.
Lol, my noob gets a lot of hate too. I believe 'cheap' is the adjective most players tend to use in describing him after playing against me.

Rathalos

Play Monster Hunter!
One thing I would like them to do, but they won't, is use the DLC characters as a chance to leave there comfort zone. Make new characters, put some real thought into them, make them very different from the rest of the cast, add a proper grappler in to the game, a bigger guy that can't combo worth shit, has slower movement speed and actual different health then the rest of the cast, and unblockable command throws, and don't give him either a movement skill or a projectile, give him completely unique normals and no dialed combos.

Also hes not a ninja or a robot.

Sequel

Boob Titbot
Yeah I know you weren't really implying anything of the sort however I wanted to throw that out there anyway. Since two people in this thread have now mentioned Kung.

Sequel

Boob Titbot
One thing I would like them to do, but they won't, is use the DLC characters as a chance to leave there comfort zone. Make new characters, put some real thought into them, make them very different from the rest of the cast, add a proper grappler in to the game, a bigger guy that can't combo worth shit, has slower movement speed and actual different health then the rest of the cast, and unblockable command throws, and don't give him either a movement skill or a projectile, give him completely unique normals and no dialed combos.

Dang yet ANOTHER generic thing I left out in my previous post. Same health for every character. Different health adds depth to the game.

CaliJokerstyle

Dies A Lot
I will say i have felt SF has had some serious broke character problems (i am a Ken player since SF2). The thing is they do fix it and that is what NRS wants to do but i think they miss the diference between fixing and just changing. If there is an infinite or if a char is so ridiculously OP to the point everyone uses that char then you fix it but not before. Thats my opinion and how i see it with and FG.

Dang yet ANOTHER generic thing I left out in my previous post. Same health for every character. Different health adds depth to the game.
I agree with this to a degree becausee MvC3 had some problems here with a few chars and they had teams not a single char.

Lol ... that sounds like some seriously wishful thinking. God all this talk is kind of making me wish they would make an mk10 with a bit more spice. And yeah I typically love the tough characters in fighting games, but there is no one who is really tough in mk. I am getting so sick of zoning as a way to keep my health high that I am thinking about maining NW and becoming proficient with his reflect.

PSN

Noob
NRS released an unfinished game. They're releasing all these patches and the game isn't two months old yet. Why did they release something that wasn't even close to being finished? This problem is only made worse by idiotic online players who call for characters who don't need nerfs to be nerfed because of online exploits. I.E. Kung Lao.

CaliJokerstyle

Dies A Lot
NRS released and unfinished game. They're releasing all these patches and the game isn't two months old yet. Why did they release something that wasn't even close to being finished?
Lots of games do this and at least their fix is patches not a full new game. (hopefully)

NRS released and unfinished game. They're releasing all these patches and the game isn't two months old yet. Why did they release something that wasn't even close to being finished?
Well what I can't decide, is did they release it knowing it wasn't finished? Or were their testers too few in number and too low in intensity to identify all the bugs that the fighting community would uncover?

PSN

Noob
As quick as those patches started coming out (day one?), it leads me to believe they knew what they were doing. Maybe the powers that be at Warner didn't really leave them a choice, but who really knows?

Rathalos

Play Monster Hunter!
NRS released an unfinished game. They're releasing all these patches and the game isn't two months old yet. Why did they release something that wasn't even close to being finished? This problem is only made worse by idiotic online players who call for characters who don't need nerfs to be nerfed because of online exploits. I.E. Kung Lao.
Because of Evolution, they had to get it out before a certain amount of time or it would not be allowed to enter, and for some retarded reason Mr wizard thought MK9 would be a viable tournament level game with out any evidence other then there TERRIBLE track record, and being a main game in evolution was just waaaay to good to pass up.

As quick as those patches started coming out (day one?), it leads me to believe they knew what they were doing. Maybe the powers that be at Warner didn't really leave them a choice, but who really knows?
No it was probably NRS, WB's is kinda lax about things like this.

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
Well the reasoning behind "same health for every character" is because of the percentages. That's something that I've always loved about MK, seeing the 45% pop-up after a combo gives me a chubby.

I would like to say though, depth isn't the reason, at least not to me, why MK9 isn't as good as it could be. Depth is as overrated as balance.

PSN

Noob
Lots of games do this and at least their fix is patches not a full new game. (hopefully)
That may be true, but I haven't seen that many fighting games come out only for major character changes to occur within a month of release. I mean how can people expect this game to be a viable tournament fighter when people keep having to re-learn their characters.

CaliJokerstyle

Dies A Lot
With games when a publisher says they want it out,(unless you have CC) it has to come out no matter what is wrong. On a side note 30+ testers will only find so much whereas 200,000+(random number) players will find a lot more.

Edit: For a good look at problems as a game launches look at Fallout: New Vegas.

Status
Not open for further replies.