What's new

Aw, C'mon Puddin' -- Harley Quinn General Discussion Thread

Ronald_A_Knox

Clipeum Aurea
Just pumped up training mode and tried to punish 'TS ~ 1 then crouch block" on playback.
It's -6 at best. I can punish it only with a standing 1.

xWEBSx

Too old for this Shit
Also her J3 as used from close, hits like a champ on the way up..almost looks like a head stomp, but it catches people early thinking you are going for cross up.

Lol, it seems a few people have taken what I said out of context.

1) Even with me stating what I think is wrong with HQ this is still a discussion' about her 'general' potential. So yes, it fits quite fine in the 'general discussion' thread. Besides, even more importantly than coming off as a rant I wanted the opinions of the fellow HQ players.

2) For the people saying it's too early for this and that, its not. Its not too early to raise a fair point about shortcomings in a game. Even if the longevity of the game reveals better uses for certain moves, unless you can refute why a bad point isn't actually bad its remains a fair point. You don't need excessive time with a game to realise that her AA's on reaction are sub-par especially in comparison to characters like Grundy, Aquaman etc.

3) Anti-airs. A lot of you have said similar things in that her anti-airs are in abundance. They just need to be used as a prediction. This is exactly why her AA game is weak. Try to jump in on a good Aqua man and eat 30%+ for your troubles each and every time. On late reaction at that. They may exist, but her anti-airs are not good. A bad read can cost you a full combo depending on the character.

4) The last thing that bugs me a little is that people justify her move set as fitting of the character and she is fine the way she is. Though that may be the case, that's not the point I am raising. I'm just explaining why other characters are superior and why she might struggle in the competitive scene with points that I think would better equip her against the top characters. Now I'm not sure who all the top characters are but I can assure you Harley is very unlikely to be one of them. Whether that's a bad thing or not is irrelevant. Just making an observation and sharing an opinion.

xWEBSx

Too old for this Shit
Lol, it seems a few people have taken what I said out of context.

1) Even with me stating what I think is wrong with HQ this is still a discussion' about her 'general' potential. So yes, it fits quite fine in the 'general discussion' thread. Besides, even more importantly than coming off as a rant I wanted the opinions of the fellow HQ players.

2) For the people saying it's too early for this and that, its not. Its not too early to raise a fair point about shortcomings in a game. Even if the longevity of the game reveals better uses for certain moves, unless you can refute why a bad point isn't actually bad its remains a fair point. You don't need excessive time with a game to realise that her AA's on reaction are sub-par especially in comparison to characters like Grundy, Aquaman etc.

3) Anti-airs. A lot of you have said similar things in that her anti-airs are in abundance. They just need to be used as a prediction. This is exactly why her AA game is weak. Try to jump in on a good Aqua man and eat 30%+ for your troubles each and every time. On late reaction at that. They may exist, but her anti-airs are not good. A bad read can cost you a full combo depending on the character.

4) The last thing that bugs me a little is that people justify her move set as fitting of the character and she is fine the way she is. Though that may be the case, that's not the point I am raising. I'm just explaining why other characters are superior and why she might struggle in the competitive scene with points that I think would better equip her against the top characters. Now I'm not sure who all the top characters are but I can assure you Harley is very unlikely to be one of them. Whether that's a bad thing or not is irrelevant. Just making an observation and sharing an opinion.
I appreciate all your feedback and opinions.. Wish Harley's threads had more... Most of her threads end up in a "her combos are hard to do online" or "I wish I could do these combos.. What does DB1 mean" :(

Harley has a lot of potential, but not as a lot of people are playing her now. The amount of tech dug up so far puts her solid mid-tier... If you are playing someone who knows how to block her and has overall decent defense.. Lower.

I am having tons of fun with Harley.. Some things that drive me crazy are:

1) no MB option for Silly Slide
2) no MB option for TS or ANY of the follow ups
3) There are 3 options for TS follow up.. Yet they can all be blocked low? I just don't get the reasoning behind that... Can't TS1 be Overhead, TS2 be mid and TS3 be low?

Like I have said prior.. Her trait and Pop Pop malfunction do not bother me- I live fine with both.. It just seems that in a rush-down sense... She leaves her opponents a bit too far away to truly capitalize heavily..

That being said however.. Her true strength lies in the hit and run game. With almost all her good normals being able to be canceled into TS.. I see her as more a.. Whiff and punish "escape" character than a rush-down/zoner hybrid.

To address her poor AA.. Sure she does not have a tried and true AA (see AM), however she does have the ability to escape jump-in's and other moves that give other character issues (Sinestro: meteors, Doomsday: the body impact special).. She is a character you cannot sit still and set up with ( again see AM/DS).. The more you move.. The better... Which is part of the reason why I love her! I have always gravitated toward the quick, all over the screen characters in fighters.. And they almost always suffer from the same issue- POOR AA.

Underutilized moves thus far:
Her F3 has some very strange properties.. Sometimes goes through single projectiles, sometimes crosses over close characters. The following two options may appear poor on paper if you let the move continue fully.. however..Her 3,3 is sneaky and can cancel into TS, her 2,B3 is also sneaky (ghetto DS sword spin) and can also cancel into TS.

I could really care less about YouTube power combos for 75%, only in the right corner, with joker trait activated, on full moons in July.

What I do care about is exploring her mobility options.. Coming up with decent mix-ups.. And reliably being able to take off 25-30% with each of the opponents mistakes or your proper reads.

All in all Harley delivers as promised.. And has nothing so OP or a abuseable that she is in danger of nerfs.. So if it comes down to character tinker time.. She can only improve.. Which I'm more than fine with.

Reauxbot

You think you bad? You aint bad.
Can someone help me with some frame traps and whatnot? I feel like Im missing that out on my Harley game :(

Fergus

Like Father, Like Daughter
Whatever she ends up in the long run, I think it'll be more focused on oki setups because her mixups is horrendous right now with poor overheads.

xWEBSx

Too old for this Shit
Whatever she ends up in the long run, I think it'll be more focused on oki setups because her mixups is horrendous right now with poor overheads.
Typically a "hybrid" or hit and run character has poor over head options... Hence making them a "hybrid" and not a rush-down.

Fergus

Can someone help me with some frame traps and whatnot? I feel like Im missing that out on my Harley game :(
2d3 is + 10 on block so it's a guaranteed b2,2 if they tried to press buttons afterwards, d+1 on hit is really good +11 iirc. j3 can be like +8 on block so guaranteed b2,2 again if they try buttons. f/b+3 as well for + on block. I think they're her main ways of getting advantage and frame traps going, d+3 is like +3 on block but I don't think it's useful imo unless you want to commit to a d1 ~ TS1 (unsafe)

Reauxbot

You think you bad? You aint bad.
2d3 is + 10 on block so it's a guaranteed b2,2 if they tried to press buttons afterwards, d+1 on hit is really good +11 iirc. j3 can be like +8 on block so guaranteed b2,2 again if they try buttons. f/b+3 as well for + on block. I think they're her main ways of getting advantage and frame traps going, d+3 is like +3 on block but I don't think it's useful imo unless you want to commit to a d1 ~ TS1 (unsafe)
Thanx Fergus. I havent really been the best at frame data and understanding and putting it together so Im not the best at it. But Ill start applying these next time I hop online :)
And just another question. Ive been skating around forums on TYM. Some say the frame data the game gives you isnt too correct. And im looking at the pause menu on my TV now..
Is the in game frame data correct or no?

xWEBSx

Too old for this Shit
Yeah hit and run seems to be the perfect description for Harley.
What infuriates people about this is that they have a hard time accepting this. Either trying to make her pure rush-down, or pure zoner.

Play to her strengths and quit trying to make her into something she is not.

xWEBSx

Too old for this Shit
Thanx Fergus. I havent really been the best at frame data and understanding and putting it together so Im not the best at it. But Ill start applying these next time I hop online :)
And just another question. Ive been skating around forums on TYM. Some say the frame data the game gives you isnt too correct. And im looking at the pause menu on my TV now..
Haha.. Catch 22. It is for finite moves.. However moves with variables...ie: cancels..a good example from another game would be Spider-man in UMvC3... His spider bite move (think Ryu dragon punch) Is VERY unsafe naturally and done by itself.. however since Spidey can web zip away after the move.. That web zip turns an unsafe move Into a safe move.. Therefore I would NOT trust them as gospel.

KamkaziChicila

Harley & Zatana is all I need.
Honestly, after playing tons more with Harley and reading everyone whine about "how she needs all these buffs" I kinda agree to an extent. I would love for her to get all these nice things Months from now. Think realistically the game has been out for only 1 MONTH and everyone is crying about patches and buffs and nerfs ASAP. Like really? Has everyone forgot what it means to learn and adapt to a matchup and work with what you got?

I win hard match-ups with Harley just fine with all her "bad things". I can't say all these ideas are worthless because some things like faster f2 and EX Silly Slide sounds boss, but people are asking for unnecessary things like overhead cartwheel and a super buff on her trait. Honestly, just learn to play better and adapt to the fight. Trust me, Harley doesn't need much fixing and she definitely doesn't need it this soon. I apologize if this sounds complainy, but its kinda sad to see more posts on What she needs than posts on Match-ups and Tech.

Fergus

I wouldn't follow the frame data in the movelist, it's pretty inaccurate for the most part.