What's new

Atrocity of Season 8 of GoT

RoboCop

The future of law enforcement.
Administrator
Premium Supporter
I think Jon may say "fuck it" and join the wildlings, possibly becoming their king. That could end up with Tyrion as king, assuming he survives.

Braindead

I want Kronika to step on my face
George RR Martin said ages ago that this story won't have a good ending so I wouldn't hold my breath lmao

C-Sword

Noob
Someone wrote this on reddit, I think it would've been better than what we were given.

Instead of having Rhaegal die in S8E4, have him die during the siege of KL. Have the bells ring (signalling that the city surrenders), then have someone go rogue on Cersei's side to take a shot at Rhaegal and kill him, sending Dany into a rampage that destroys the city.

Oh and this:

Last edited:

xKhaoTik

The Ignore Button Is Free
Also, Cersei went out like a bitch. Someone like her deserved a very cruel death yet hers was so “simple”.

She’s easily one of the most hated villains on the show. Her, Joffrey and Ramsey. Joffrey’s death was well deserved, Ramsey’s was very brutal and deserved, yet Cersei gets to be with her lover? Not even a stab from Arya?

That was the lamest moment for me

I’m ok with crazy Dany, but I think my favorite memes out of all this are the ones of Bran sitting at winterfell going oh ya, I should’ve told everyone she was crazy. They have made Bran completely useless.

Braindead

Also, Cersei went out like a bitch. Someone like her deserved a very cruel death yet hers was so “simple”.

She’s easily one of the most hated villains on the show. Her, Joffrey and Ramsey. Joffrey’s death was well deserved, Ramsey’s was very brutal and deserved, yet Cersei gets to be with her lover? Not even a stab from Arya?

That was the lamest moment for me
I ranted about this too lol

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
People who defend bad writing and help them makes my head heart, lol

Zoidberg747

My blades will find your heart
Dany doing what she did makes perfect sense tho. Think of everything she’s been thru:

-Agrees to help Jon when she didn’t have to, only to have one of her dragons die
-The Guy she fell in love with actually turns out to be her nephew AND the true heir to the Iron throne (something she’s spent her whole life trying to achieve).
-she loses half her army and Jorah in the battle of winterfell.
-She STILL loves Jon and wants to be with him, but he’s very hesitant now. She’s most likely heartbroken.
-She’s noticing how everyone is more drawn to Jon than her
-loses another one of her dragons
-watches Missandei(her best friend) get beheaded by someone sitting on her throne
-trusts Jon to not tell the secret only for Jon to tell it anyway. People are going to find out the truth.
-Varys “betrayed” her.

I’m not saying I agree with what she did. She spent all this time trying to be different from the other tyrants only for her to become one of them at the end. Sad but it’s very understandable after everything she’s been thru. Plus the last thing Missandei said was “Dracarys”. She most likely just carried out her last wish
That doesn't fit Missandei's character at all though. Her whole thing is that she's been a slave all of her life and she convinces Dany to take more peaceful approaches in order to avoid bloodshed and save as many innocent civilians as possible. Sure, she was about to die, but it is still kind of lame of them to throw out her entire character development and arc for her to essentially tell Dany to burn them all (including a bunch of civilians she normally would convince Dany to save).

Like Juggs I don't have much of a problem with Dany burning KL, but the way they did it made no sense and was purely for shock factor and to make the viewer hate her more. If she was really this hellbent on blood, she would've burned the city from the start. I don't buy the fact that the sound of the bells causes her to snap. She had already been betrayed by Jon, Varys (another character whose entire story arc was thrown out the window in like 2 episodes), Tyrion, and watched Missandei die. She was already out for blood, so why didn't she just burn it all to start with?

It is pretty obvious that D&D aren't good enough story writers and can't match the nuance and interesting character development that George R.R. Martin does. The whole point of characters like Tyrion and Varys is that they can always think ten steps ahead, but that involves the writer thinking ten steps ahead and making sure that everything makes sense within all of these characters and their relationships. The reason their characters were dumbed down imo is that D&D can't write in the same way GRM does while keeping everything consistent.

I don't even blame D&D really, i'm sure when they started the show they expected to have another book to work off of. Now they don't and they have to end the most popular show on television based on a book series filled with nuance that they can't possibly match. My guess is they only wanted 6 episodes because they knew they couldn't possibly end it in a satisfactory way and wanted to get it over with. So they came up with an idea of how it ends in their head and threw away all the other character development so that their ending made sense (which is bad writing, imo).

Jeremy KO

*insert kotal kahn gibberish here*
I’m actually jealous of you guys. If you thought this was bad, you’ve never had to watch really bad shows before!

Marinjuana

Up rock incoming, ETA 5 minutes
That's kind of the thing, if they had more episodes, I don't think it would all feel so rushed. I wasn't so bleak on everything until I realized "oh, there's one episode left to wrap ALL of this up".

Interesting observation, I'm noticing a trend where people who read the books are more onboard with evil Dany than straight show watchers. Myself included, I think there's a conflation of the two versions of her into this one, so it doesn't seem as out of left field.
The books are just better but an important point is that you get inner monologues for whatever character you are in the point of view of. You get to see the arrogance and paranoia inside Dany's mind or how Barristan the Bold has to convince himself to ignore her weaknesses.

Them completely ignoring Aegon Targaryen/Young Griff(not Jon) was a big mistake.

MadeFromMetal

Heart From Iron, Mind From Steel.
I legit thought that Jaime died after his fight with Jack Sparrow. When we saw him meet Cersei, and he wasn't showing the effects of his wounds, I said aloud, "That's Arya.". I thought Arya passed him on the street, took his face, and went to kill her. They hugged in the map room. Cersei cried.

"Now is the time to do it. She thinks she's with the one she loves. It'll be a great payoff to years of hating her.".

"Why are they running?"

"What are you waiting for?"

"FINISH HER!"

"Oh that's actually Jaime...BOOOOOOO".

wsj515

This is my billionth life cycle.
It is pretty obvious that D&D aren't good enough story writers and can't match the nuance and interesting character development that George R.R. Martin does.
What is weird about this whole situation is that David Benioff is in fact a very good writer. I was pretty happy when I heard he would be one of the show runners - City of Thieves is one of my favorite books. I can't defend him at all at this point, but it almost makes me think that something else ran afoul.

Rozalin1780

Good? Bad? I'm the one with the fans
The writing has been bad since season 5 or so when they stopped following the books and then ran out of book.

Dany was always going to burn King's Landing though. They want you to defend her(be on her side) while she does terrible things.
Yeah, I kind of checked out of the show at season 5. It started taking waaay too long for something of significance to happen. I mean, that’s great if you like a slow burn, but now it’s doing a complete 180 trying to wrap up all these loose ends in a few episodes. It’s like the only show I can think of that has both bad slow pacing AND bad fast pacing (apparently, again, I’ve not watched since season 5).

I feel legit bad for those who have remained invested in these characters because this all sounds like the worst payoff imaginable.

Eldagrin

Add me on PS4 if you want to play some games
I’m okay with Evil Dany because A Dance with Dragons started heavily foreshadowing Mad Queen Dany and the books in general do it. She’s one of my absolute favorite characters but holy shit why did the show handle Mad Queen Daenerys so poorly? There was almost zero lead up to her being mad until like episode 4. The show pretty much went from “Dany is a hero who is ruthless in her pursuits but defends the little people” to “Oh yeah she’s burning innocents alive by the thousands”. It was just handled so poorly.

TrulyAmiracle

Loud and Klear~
I’m actually jealous of you guys. If you thought this was bad, you’ve never had to watch really bad shows before!
Watching a bad show means you know what you’re in for.
Seeing a good show doing such a big drop into being a total shitshow is very different, you’re already invested and expect a certain quality from the writing/events.

I already expected this shit to be ass after the last 2 episodes of season 7, but with the 2 years gap I thought they’d at least take some of that time to form a solid last season that will be worthwhile.

I can post a godamn article about all the stupid shit in this episode alone. At this point I’m just watching to see how bad it will get.
It’s such a shame because everything aside from the writing is incredible. If D&D were trying to make history with this season they nailed it, just in all the wrong ways.

Marinjuana

Up rock incoming, ETA 5 minutes
@Juggs @HellblazerHawkman @zerosebaz yeah there's no way in hell HBO wouldn't give enough budget to what probably is the most popular TV show in history. The short S7 and S8 is absolutely baffling.
It's not even fan speculation, it's literally true.

"HBO would have been happy for the show to keep going, to have more episodes in the final season," Benioff said. "We always believed it was about 73 hours, and it will be roughly that. As much as they wanted more, they understood that this is where the story ends."
https://comicbook.com/tv-shows/2019/04/10/game-of-thrones-hbo-wanted-more-episodes-final-season/

They knew they couldn't write it so they took the easier out.

Braindead

"HBO would have been happy for the show to keep going, to have more episodes in the final season," Benioff said. "We always believed it was about 73 hours, and it will be roughly that. As much as they wanted more, they understood that this is where the story ends."
https://comicbook.com/tv-shows/2019/04/10/game-of-thrones-hbo-wanted-more-episodes-final-season/

Lmfao god dammit

HellblazerHawkman

Confused Thanagarian
Kind of a fun moment, my girlfriend isn't into the show, but has been watching this season with me. Even she was like "hey, why didn't Dany do that (fly over and destroy the ships) last week?" thinking there might have been a reason beyond "show writers didn't know how to make that moment happen"

HellblazerHawkman

Confused Thanagarian

I think the fact that they already greenlit 5 sequel shows says HBO didn't give a fuck about the cost of the show since it's been making them money hand over fist. It probably could have gone on for another 4 seasons (or however many would have been appropriate to not rush through it all)

TakeAChance

TYM White Knight
So, my wife and I just finished watching this...

The Hound and the Mountain. Loved it, it was perfect.

The visuals were amazing.

That's where the positivity ends.

What the hell was the point of Jaimes arc?

Cersei just gets to go out in secret. No body, no confirmation? They must be under like a million tons of rubble. I was hoping for AT LEAST a visual of Dany and Drogon staring at her flying right outside the keep while Cersei breaks mentally and pisses herself.

Also, Arya. The hero of Winterfell and the realm of men. We had to watch her yet again skittle and skurry around a warzone she clearly wasn't meant to be in. The white horse moment literally made us burst out laughing. You mean to tell me there are thousands of corpses lining the streets...people burnt to char, rubble everywhere but this fucking horse has level 100 survival skills? Why not just have her limp down the streets...why did she need to ride away on her white horse? Just...cringe.

Eurons death was dumb. "I killed Jaime Lannister" Really? Like I know he isn't the sharpest tool in the shed, but the guy was supposed to be ruthless. Sure he just survived Drogon, but since when did he give a shit about Jaime?

John Snow doing dumb John Snow things.

Tyrion literally brazingly putting his own life on the line with no exit plan other than his death seemed extremely out of character (no surprise there). Also tie him in with Varys for someone that used to be 10 steps ahead of everyone but is now apparently just winging it.

Out of all of this tho....Fuck that white horse.