What's new

Atrocity of Season 8 of GoT

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Game of Thrones Spoilers Ahead

So, this last season of Game of Thrones has been absolutely abysmal. Well, the writing has, at least. They have butchered 7 seasons worth of character development and it’s really depressing.

I don’t even feel like getting into episodes 1-4. It would be way too long of a post. I actually didn’t hate episode 3 as much as a lot of people, but it definitely wasn’t very good. Such a terrible payoff. I absolutely love Arya’s character and Maisie Williams acting. But there’s no reason SHE should have killed the Night King. SHE should have killed Cersei, which leads me to last nights episode, episode 5.

So a few positives. I really enjoyed the cinematography, the directing, the acting, and the music/sound effects. The cgi was okay in some spots, terrible in other spots. Also the scene with Tyrion and Jaime was amazing. Very emotionally charged, fantastic acting, and it made sense.

Now onto the bad. Why would Tyrion, who is best friends with Varys, rat him out to Dany? Also, how is Varys even a traitor? For speaking a fact about Jon’s true lineage? Makes no sense that he would be executed for that without even being able to defend himself, without a trial, nothing. What does this “treason” even accomplish that would hurt Dany? She could either rule together with Jon, or he could denounce the throne. They killed off Varys for no reason really. Awesome.

Jaime gets captured. Tyrion frees him. And he gets teleport “smuggled” into King’s landing. Teleporting has been a huge problem with this show for a few seasons now. But come on. How did Jaime, Arya and the Hound even get into King’s Landing when they’re on lockdown? They all are known people, at least Jaime and the Hound are. Why didn’t Arya disguise herself anyway?

A lot of nothing happened throughout the episode as well. A lot of Tyrion and Jon just staring... like A LOT of that. Jon continues to be an absolute pussy and his character further ruined by terrible writing.

Onto to Dany. Holy shit, what a failure of epic proportions. They had won, they had taken King’s Landing and the enemy surrendered. THEN she decides to start killing literally everyone? It makes absolutely no sense. It would have made more sense if she went crazy to begin with and just ignored the bells or destroyed the bell. Her WAITING for the surrender then starting killing innocent people absolutely ruined her character development and her character in general. Sorry to all the Dany fans that they ruined your favorite character. Now she is almost certainly gonna die by either Jon or Arya’s hand.

Cersei’s death was so lame. Again, Arya’s entire character arc has been her reciting Cersei’s name for like 10 years, and she just turns away AFTER SHE’S ALREADY IN THE RED KEEP? Clegane bowl was okay, at least the ending. It wasn’t great but it coulda been worse. Why the FUCK did they attempt to make us feel bad for Cersei? Or for Jaime for that matter? So fucking stupid.

Oh didn’t even mention how all of a sudden the scorpion ballista things went from ONE being insanely accurate, to dozens not being able to hit shit. If she coulda taken out the iron fleet so easily, why didn’t she do it in episode 4? Instead of running away leaving her people to die or to fend for themselves? The real traitor is her, she left Tyrion to die. Why was he still so “loyal” to her? Obviously he won’t be now but my god, it took her doing the worst thing imaginable for the supposed smartest person in the entire world to be like “well shit maybe she isn’t the Queen I thought she was”. Get the FUCK out of here.

Also apparently the dragon fire breath got super buffs. Just more inconsistencies in the long line of inconsistencies.

Arya had major plot armor as expected. Lone survivor of the attack in the area... well other than a giant white horse. And all she did was dive behind a wall. For fuck sake all they had to do was show her diving in some sort of hole or something. Her entire purpose in the “battle” made no sense for her character arc. Just more subversion for the sake of it.

It took them a whopping 7 minutes or so to take King’s Landing (from the time of attack to surrender). There was no epic battle, just a pointless slaughter.

My expectations were extremely low for this episode. Because based on this entire season I knew it was gonna be stupid as fuck. So at least I wasn’t AS disappointed as a lot of other people were. I just can’t believe how bad the writing and plot has gotten. Game Of Thrones went from being one of the best shows of all time, to one of the worst. I mean that has happened a lot before (True Blood, Dexter, LOST, etc), so at least it has some company.

They expect the fans watching to be absolute idiots and not think about anything. They expect the fans to be as dumb as they are (David Benioff and D.B. Weiss aka Dumb & Dumber). And tbh, some fans are. Some fans turn off their brains and don’t give a shit about things making logical sense. They don’t care that characters have been developed for 7 seasons. They just watch and are happy with whatever they see. And that’s fine, can’t hate on people finding a way to enjoy this bullshit.

Also before people come in and say “Dany’s descent into madness was obvious and blah blah”. Based on this season, yes, it was apparent she was gonna become the “Mad Queen”. But it wasn’t apparent in the way she was going to become mad. It wasn’t apparent she was gonna win, and THEN start killing innocent people. Also, this is something that should have been developing for several seasons, NOT ONE SEASON. Not even 2 seasons, because the past 2 seasons have been incredibly short. If they showed her gradual descent over several seasons into going insane it would have been SOO much better. But no, we are expected to believe that Jon’s true lineage and Missandei’s death were the prime catalysts for her going from being the breaker of chains and the Queen of the people, into the Mad Queen tyrant she said she wasn’t for 7 seasons. Hell she even literally said she didn’t want to be the “Queen of ash”, she LITERALLY SAID THAT! lmao

This season is so damn awful. I’m just glad this abomination will be over with next week. Hopefully there’s some sort of actual satisfying conclusion but I expect a dumb episode just like pretty much every episode this season.

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Sorry, just Had to vent. If you actually liked the episode please explain why. I have been a MASSIVE Game of Thrones fan. So sorry if I seem a bit pissed off, lol.

zerosebaz

What's the point of a random Krypt?
If they wanted to show she is terrible now, they could've made her fly to the Red Keep and destroy it after they had already surrendered. The armies would've kept fighting, lots of civilians would have died, and Jon and Tyrion would have thought she did something horrible. But directly attacking the civilians? That was so out of character. If they had been building for that for longer, then maybe, but how they did it felt so horribly out of character. This is the woman who locked her Dragons when they killed one little girl. The writing on the show has been weaker for a few seasons now, but this was on another level.

Krankk

Smoke & Noob & Rain
I don't watch GOT and I haven't watched the episode, but I still liked it, because the Zig Bombie died. I also liked how Elsa dragon'ed down all the dirty peasants.

#ihavenoideawhatimtalkingabout #filthycasual

I actually think Dany's breakdown is one of the more believable character developments. Going beyond the fact that she's a pure blood Targaryan, who are unstable and violent due to inbreeding, throughout the entire show she has been living under the singular idea that she has divine purpose--that she accomplished the impossible by becoming mother of dragons, that she has rightful claim to the throne, that she is allowed to take extreme measures to defeat her enemies because it's for the good of the kingdom which she believes only she herself can bring. She has always had a propensity for violence, but it was always justified by this belief that her actions were governed by divine right, like when she freed the slaves in Mereen who murdered all the masters. Furthermore, she has always preferred capital punishment as opposed to imprisonment, and only two people could ever talk her out of going this violent route: not her royal advisors Tyrion and Varys, but rather her two closest friends Jorah and Missandei.

So, flash forward to Season 8, and we see her whole belief and support system that she has held for 8 seasons fall apart. As it turns out, she has no legitimate claim to the throne because of Jon; she isn't destined to rule and save Westeros. While trying to cope with this, she is constantly confronted with the reality that Jon would be a truly benevolent ruler who commands loyalty through respect alone, which is what she wished for herself but can never have because the people of Westeros fear her. She formed these goals and ideals to help herself move past her own abuse and subjugation, and now she knows that her life has essentially been a lie. This makes it easier for her to give into her more violent impulses, and the only two people who would be able to talk her down--Jorah and Missandei--are dead.

So, cue the battle for King's Landing. This is a battle that Tyrion--someone who Dany sees as a failure of an advisor--has been saying doesn't even need to happen. Tyrion has held to the point that by asserting minimal military dominance, Cersei's people would lay down their arms and show their disloyalty to her. He held that they would ring the bells at the first sign of an unwinnable fight, which Dany simply did not believe because she has lost faith in Tyrion. And, it turns out, he was right. So, she has lost her claim to the throne, her destiny, her lover (since Jon won't knowingly sleep with his aunt), the only people she considers friends, the people of the kingdom fear her, and her life's goal is overall a sham. There was nothing hold back her violent side anymore, and all it took was Tyrion's "see, I told you so" victory of King's Landing ringing the bells to cause her to snap.

Now, do I think all of the other character developments this season are garbage? Abso-fucking-lutely.

Marinjuana

Up rock incoming, ETA 5 minutes
The writing has been bad since season 5 or so when they stopped following the books and then ran out of book.

Dany was always going to burn King's Landing though. They want you to defend her(be on her side) while she does terrible things.

Braindead

I want Kronika to step on my face
Dany's terrible decision making has been built up since s6 (I think?). More and more she's been getting more ruthless with more and more Mad King vibes (toasting the Tarlys for example).

Becoming the Mad Queen was quite forseeable but still... damn.

The part about her just losing it after the bells was because she didn't feel she got her vengeance for Missandei's death. Greyworm had pretty much the same feeling of rage when he attacked the soldiers who dropped their weapons. They both knew what they were going to do when he threw Missandei's neckchain thing in the fire, and Missandei herself also wanted that with her "Dracarys" as the last word IMO.

That's the justification of it all. Not sure if I like it or not, I'm still on the fence I can't decide whether what happened last night was good or not yet lol

freerf245

11 11 11 11
I revived the 5 year old GOT thread just to bitch about this season. There were glimpses of bad writing in the past couple of seasons, but I trusted it wouldn't ruin the show. But it has. The content they have to work with is so good that it is crazy to me that they have managed to fuck it up. It's too bad. Could have been better than Breaking Bad.

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
I revived the 5 year old GOT thread just to bitch about this season. There were glimpses of bad writing in the past couple of seasons, but I trusted it wouldn't ruin the show. But it has. The content they have to work with is so good that it is crazy to me that they have managed to fuck it up. It's too bad. Could have been better than Breaking Bad.
Oh I didn’t even see it, my bad. Last nights episode sent me over the edge. Especially when I see people on social media saying it was the best episode of television ever. Like... seriously????

HellblazerHawkman

Confused Thanagarian
I also want to know why only go with 6 episodes this season instead of properly flesh out stuff in 10 episodes like the usual. They crammed and skipped a lot of shit to make it in just 6 episodes... why?
That's kind of the thing, if they had more episodes, I don't think it would all feel so rushed. I wasn't so bleak on everything until I realized "oh, there's one episode left to wrap ALL of this up".

Interesting observation, I'm noticing a trend where people who read the books are more onboard with evil Dany than straight show watchers. Myself included, I think there's a conflation of the two versions of her into this one, so it doesn't seem as out of left field.

zerosebaz

What's the point of a random Krypt?
I also want to know why only go with 6 episodes this season instead of properly flesh out stuff in 10 episodes like the usual. They crammed and skipped a lot of shit to make it in just 6 episodes... why?
I thought it was for budget reasons, but the creators said HBO wanted to give them the money to make both season 7 and 8 have 10 episodes, but they wanted it to be a total of 13.

It's a shame, having those extra episodes could've helped for a better development of the series and the characters, and make Daenerys turn not feel like it came out of nowhere.

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
I heard a rumor that HBO themselves WANTED it to be 10 episodes but David and D.B. did not. Just a rumor though.

But absolutely, that’s my point with Dany. It’s not her becoming the Mad Queen I have a problem with, it’s the absolute horrible storytelling and execution of it. And the fact that they had already won and THEN she attacked innocent people. If she didn’t feel satisfied she shoulda just destroyed the red keep at that point. Like I said, if she went crazy from the get go and was killing everything in sight it would have made so much more sense and more believable. But NOW they just want you to hate her so when Arya or whoever kills her everyone will cheer instead of be sad. Because they don’t want what Dany did to make any logical sense so that you can justify it. It’s incredibly lazy and I guarantee you everyone who has posted in this thread could have done a better job writing the final season and this episode then they did.

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
That's kind of the thing, if they had more episodes, I don't think it would all feel so rushed. I wasn't so bleak on everything until I realized "oh, there's one episode left to wrap ALL of this up".

Interesting observation, I'm noticing a trend where people who read the books are more onboard with evil Dany than straight show watchers. Myself included, I think there's a conflation of the two versions of her into this one, so it doesn't seem as out of left field.
Again, evil Dany is NOT my issue. It’s the lack of character development for evil Dany and the execution of it. If the past two seasons had 10 episodes a piece where they could show more of Dany slowly going mad it would have undoubtedly been better. I know it’s been foreshadowed for awhile but her actual descent has only been shown THIS season. Every thing else could be justified and was perfectly reasonable.

What I’m most angry at is Jon’s arc. Why was he even brought back to life? At first he was supposed to be changed after he died. He was supposed to be less trusting and less compassionate. Which he was at first, then it’s like they completely forgot about that and just made him into a little knee bending bitch. Which is an absolute shame since he was one of my favorite characters along with The Hound and Arya. Like he was supposed to be the “one” and the one who was prophetic and everything. I even liked Cersei because of how ruthless she was and EVEN SHE didn’t do shit last episode, except cry like a little bitch. FUCK THIS SHOW

DanCock

Cock Master!!
first two episodes of the season were solid.

3rd episode was ruined by the extreme darkness. it ruined the episode because i had no clue wtf was happening half the time. the cinematographer needs to be kicked in the balls for this!! arya killing the knight king was actually perfect, no one else was getting that close to him. another issue with episode 3 was the battle strategy :X

episode 4 had many issues, biggest one is not having bran hop into a raven or any animal for that matter and do some recon. two FLYING dragons got ambushed from a bunch of ships WTF!! dany just ignoring everyone and just sending everyone including her injured dragon to kings landing right after a big battle.

episode 5 was the best of the season.
arya is going to kill dany. jon will be the one true king. Bran needs to take over that dragon, if this doesn't happen then the writers truly are morons.

sad we will never get a spin off show with arya and the hound adventures:cool: love these two together.

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Omg this is perfect, specifically because of True Blood, LOST and Dexter (which is what I mentioned in the OP). Haven’t seen the other ones. All 3 were my favorite shows, then the last season ruined it. True Blood probably has the worst final season of all time.

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
first two episodes of the season were solid.

3rd episode was ruined by the extreme darkness. it ruined the episode because i had no clue wtf was happening half the time. the cinematographer needs to be kicked in the balls for this!! arya killing the knight king was actually perfect, no one else was getting that close to him. another issue with episode 3 was the battle strategy :X

episode 4 had many issues, biggest one is not having bran hop into a raven or any animal for that matter and do some recon. two FLYING dragons got ambushed from a bunch of ships WTF!! dany just ignoring everyone and just sending everyone including her injured dragon to kings landing right after a big battle.

episode 5 was the best of the season.
arya is going to kill dany. jon will be the one true king. Bran needs to take over that dragon, if this doesn't happen then the writers truly are morons.

sad we will never get a spin off show with arya and the hound adventures:cool: love these two together.
See I don’t think Jon will be king. He’s been made into such a bitch. I genuinely think Arya will kill Dany, and then for the sake of subversion, someone “completely unexpected” will take the throne, like Bran or Tyrion for instance. Someone who makes no sense will definitely take the throne, that’s my prediction based on this final season.

RoboCop

The future of law enforcement.
Administrator
Premium Supporter
Yeah, it just feels like the writers have decided how they want everything to play out, and so every character is going to act in a way to make it happen, regardless of how they should act. There has also been just a lot of super lazy writing leading to stupid and unnecessary plot holes. The 1st to come to mind is when the white walkers pull Daenerys' dragon out of the frozen lake using giant-ass chains (not to be confused with giant ass-chains...). Like, where the fuck did they get several tons of chains? Were they just carrying them with them in case they needed to pull a dragon out of a lake? What other purpose could they serve? What did they do with the chains when they were done? Fuck those chains and all the lazy writing decisions they stand for!!!

xKhaoTik

The Ignore Button Is Free
Dany doing what she did makes perfect sense tho. Think of everything she’s been thru:

-Agrees to help Jon when she didn’t have to, only to have one of her dragons die
-The Guy she fell in love with actually turns out to be her nephew AND the true heir to the Iron throne (something she’s spent her whole life trying to achieve).
-she loses half her army and Jorah in the battle of winterfell.
-She STILL loves Jon and wants to be with him, but he’s very hesitant now. She’s most likely heartbroken.
-She’s noticing how everyone is more drawn to Jon than her
-loses another one of her dragons
-watches Missandei(her best friend) get beheaded by someone sitting on her throne
-trusts Jon to not tell the secret only for Jon to tell it anyway. People are going to find out the truth.
-Varys “betrayed” her.

I’m not saying I agree with what she did. She spent all this time trying to be different from the other tyrants only for her to become one of them at the end. Sad but it’s very understandable after everything she’s been thru. Plus the last thing Missandei said was “Dracarys”. She most likely just carried out her last wish

DanCock

Cock Master!!
See I don’t think Jon will be king. He’s been made into such a bitch. I genuinely think Arya will kill Dany, and then for the sake of subversion, someone “completely unexpected” will take the throne, like Bran or Tyrion for instance. Someone who makes no sense will definitely take the throne, that’s my prediction based on this final season.
wow if jon doesnt take the throne, id be shocked. i pray the final is good.