What's new

Atrocity of Season 8 of GoT

Hitoshura

Head Cage
It’s funny how at least 5 of the main actors of the show have mentioned they’re disappointed with this final season or how it ends. Hell even Peter Dinklage was making fun of the whole “Krypt” move in episode 3, lol. Kit literally responding to “one word to describe the final season” Kit says “disappointing”. Amelia asked if she liked final season and how it ends... and she just nervously laughs a little and has the face of “I’m so sorry, it’s gonna be terrible”.

When the ACTUAL ACTORS of the show that are paid to be on the show and promote it are saying negative things about it, you know it’s bad. I feel bad for all of them really, well kinda. They’re still rich and famous so I guess there’s that, lmao.
If they didn't like the plot of the season why not go on strike against the writers as a way to rebel such terrible writing? I'm not knowledgable in actors/actresses contracts, but if I were them I'd conspire a revolt until we got a better written script.

"all it took was Tyrion's 'see, I told you so' victory of King's Landing ringing the bells to cause her to snap."

See this is the only part I disagree with. I think your analysis of her progression is spot on I just think the story failed to convey in a satisfactory way the moment she had hardened enough to napalm the surrendered city and civilians. That moment just played terribly for all of that immense gradual build up.

Danny's heel turn wasn't as frustrating for me as Jamie and Cersei's arc conclusion. That whole situation plays out in direct contradiction to what had been previously established and just hand waves away Jamie's redemption arc and let's the main villain of the series off the hook.

I won't even get into plot holes and all that because I lost faith in the shows capacity to handle the weight of all of the plot threads lol.
Yeah, that's a fair statement. The season needed more episodes to build up her change for sure.

Dany's development aside, I'm still massively disappointed with the season. I feel killing the Night King halfway through was anti-climactic and then it would all be downhill from there; I wanted more backstory on him, perhaps an unexpected twist, and for him the be the primary threat until the end. I also feel that they regressed Jaime's character in an unrealistic way for seemingly no reason.

Cleganebowl was awesome, though.

Johnny Based Cage

The Shangest of Tsungs
I didn’t read the whole OP yet or the responses bc I’m on borrowed time atm, but didn’t they imply that Varys was possibly trying to poison Dany with that young girl he was talking to at the start of the episode? I thought that’s why he got roasted alive for treason, not just because he had a somewhat traitorous discussion with Jon. (PS I could be entirely wrong, I didn’t pay too much attention to the episode bc I watched it while working, but still throwing this out there bc it’s the impression I got.)

E

Eldriken

Who the FUCK thought Cersei dying the way she did would satisfy anyone considering everything that she's done? Why does a vile person such as herself get the satisfaction of being with someone she loves when she's going to die? Why? WHY?

No one wanted that. I wanted to see this woman suffer in the worst kind of way(s). But no.

I just don't get it. This all feels so rushed.

Saboteur-6

Filthy Casual
It’s funny how at least 5 of the main actors of the show have mentioned they’re disappointed with this final season or how it ends. Hell even Peter Dinklage was making fun of the whole “Krypt” move in episode 3, lol. Kit literally responding to “one word to describe the final season” Kit says “disappointing”. Amelia asked if she liked final season and how it ends... and she just nervously laughs a little and has the face of “I’m so sorry, it’s gonna be terrible”.

When the ACTUAL ACTORS of the show that are paid to be on the show and promote it are saying negative things about it, you know it’s bad. I feel bad for all of them really, well kinda. They’re still rich and famous so I guess there’s that, lmao.

TurboTaco

Mexican street vendor
I didn’t read the whole OP yet or the responses bc I’m on borrowed time atm, but didn’t they imply that Varys was possibly trying to poison Dany with that young girl he was talking to at the start of the episode? I thought that’s why he got roasted alive for treason, not just because he had a somewhat traitorous discussion with Jon. (PS I could be entirely wrong, I didn’t pay too much attention to the episode bc I watched it while working, but still throwing this out there bc it’s the impression I got.)
Yeah he was, he mentions that she's not eating and we need to try again.

Law Hero

There is a head on a pole behind you
Game of Thrones has been plagued by terrible writing and nonsensical characters since season 2 episode 1. Surprised that it took people 8+ years to finally figure this out.

It's been bad for a while now. Seasons 1-4 are some of the best TV I've ever watched, but after that the writing and dialogue nosedived hard. A few of my favourite characters have died in season 8, but it hasn't affected me at all because they weren't even the same characters anymore.

Euron killed a fucking dragon a few days earlier and he was so happy to kill one-handed Jamie in a fight he started for no reason?? Also they nerfed his skills way too much. He killed two of the sand snakes, one-handed Jamie should had been easy for him.

Btw, a little defence on the Varys situation: Remember he heavily implied to Tyrion that he intents to kill Danny, so Tyrion had to rat on him to save Danny. It's not like he betreayed him for no reason. Varys understood that and wasn't angry at Tyrion. Furthermore Varys had to act kinda rushy which resulted to his death because he expected what was gonna happen, and as a man who trully served the realm he had to try and stop Danny to save the people of king's landing. One of the few character's behaviour that actually made sense this season.

Hitoshura

Head Cage
Btw, a little defence on the Varys situation: Remember he heavily implied to Tyrion that he intents to kill Danny, so Tyrion had to rat on him to save Danny. It's not like he betreayed him for no reason. Varys understood that and wasn't angry at Tyrion. Furthermore Varys had to act kinda rushy which resulted to his death because he expected what was gonna happen, and as a man who trully served the realm he had to try and stop Danny to save the people of king's landing. One of the few character's behaviour that actually made sense this season.
Then why didn't he try and escape if he knew it was coming? Hes avoided death thus far. In terms of Tyrion ratting Varyus out, Dany knew already before Tyrion was going to spill the beans. It's not implied how she knows, but given the scene before that was Varyus talking to Jon I would assume that Jon spoke to Dany. Unless she just knew because reasons.

Then why didn't he try and escape if he knew it was coming? Hes avoided death thus far. In terms of Tyrion ratting Varyus out, Dany knew already before Tyrion was going to spill the beans. It's not implied how she knows, but given the scene before that was Varyus talking to Jon I would assume that Jon spoke to Dany. Unless she just knew because reasons.
Him escaping wouldn't have contributed anything to his purpose of helping the people. He had to stay and die. He already knew death was coming for him, but he had to stay and try to stop Danny from killing everyone. That's how I took it at least. His purpose was more important than his life.

I don't think there's anything that implied Jon told Danny anything at all. He just knew Jon was gonna tell Sansa and has figured everything else at the point of the conversation with Tyrion. She's no dummy. But yeah that might be debatable.

Ermaculate_Slim

We are Many but we didnt make MK11 not one
Imo reading the books(Which I read twice) then watching the series I couldnt help but be disappointed constantly watching this show.The first 6 seasons were pretty good but its really become unbearable now.I only watch because Im a huge fan of the books and its satisfying to see my favorite characters portrayed with very good acting.Peter Dinklage took Tyrions character and performed flawlessly.The writing is absolutely awful they ruined years of character development in 5 episodes.I think were ready for the show to end so they said F*ck it and just threw anything out there.I heard these dudes supposed to do a new star wars movie.....God help us all

Hitoshura

Head Cage
Him escaping wouldn't have contributed anything to his purpose of helping the people. He had to stay and die. He already knew death was coming for him, but he had to stay and try to stop Danny from killing everyone. That's how I took it at least. His purpose was more important than his life.

I don't think there's anything that implied Jon told Danny anything at all. She just knew Jon was gonna tell Sansa and has figured everything else at the point of the conversation with Tyrion. She's no dummy. But yeah that might be debatable.
You make a good point there. I retract my statement about him not doing anything to try to leave.

There isn't anything that implies Jon telling Dany anything. I just assumed so because how else would she have guess all that happening? She's the same person who freed slave in Esos and leaving without establishing a new system of control which then leads to both cities that were saved in Esos to go back to slavery. She's not dumb, but I don't think she's smart either. That's up for discussion though.

fr stack

Noob's saibot or noob saibot's?
Loved kings landing AND its weak willed horrible citizens gettin their just desserts LOVED the hound vs mountain scene especially kyburn gettin d2 'd the fuck out of there, sad the hound had to die. im not gettin mad queen vibes at all from dany just reap what you sow really. Fucking hated the magical swimming skills of euron also magically finding jaime also their dialogue that whole scene was ridiculous. I HATED that cersei of everyone theyve killed, CERSEI gets to die in a nice way . Arya just like wot smoked a j or somethin and just said fuck it im too tired to assassinate a queen today ?
/fin

Evil Canadian

G O K U
Premium Supporter
I love season 8 so far. So many people whining and crying how its out of Danny's character to do whats shes doing, when the whole show was obviously building up to this point and of course its totally within her character. How many people has she had killed or burned. How many innocent people in Mereen did she kill and show no regret? Of course Dany was always going to be the baddie in the end.

TackyHaddock

Salty Mashers Krew
When Dany started killing the innocents en masse, I just had a heart sinking feeling similar to seeing your team make it all the way to the superbowl and then fail miserably. Despite everything, I was still routing for her to win, but to win with some dignity.

and yes, it did just seem completely out of character for her to slay the innocents.

Hitoshura

Head Cage
I love season 8 so far. So many people whining and crying how its out of Danny's character to do whats shes doing, when the whole show was obviously building up to this point and of course its totally within her character. How many people has she had killed or burned. How many innocent people in Mereen did she kill and show no regret? Of course Dany was always going to be the baddie in the end.
It's not just Dany's character development they're complaining about it's a lot if the cast. If anything, the issue with Dany's descent into madness is that it isn't there. It just sort of happens. It's been hinted at for the past few seasons, but it happening this the season within a single episode doesn't sell very well. It's all about pacing

Johnny Based Cage

The Shangest of Tsungs
Who the FUCK thought Cersei dying the way she did would satisfy anyone considering everything that she's done? Why does a vile person such as herself get the satisfaction of being with someone she loves when she's going to die? Why? WHY?

No one wanted that. I wanted to see this woman suffer in the worst kind of way(s). But no.

I just don't get it. This all feels so rushed.
Without meaning to be disagreeable, I just wanted to say that the more I want things to be tied up a certain way, the more of an impact fiction tends to leave on me by not tying things up that way.

So in a sense I’m glad one character I despise didn’t actually get their just desserts; it would be a gift too expected and too prettily-wrapped for this show, IMO.

LionHeart V1

You will feel deaths cold embrace
Season 1 - Winter is Coming
Season 2 - Winter is Coming
season 3 - Winter is Coming
season 4 - Winter is Coming
season 5 - Winter is Coming
Season 6 - Winter is Coming
Season 7 - Winter is Coming
Season 8 - Winter is Here
Season 8.3 - Winter is Done LMAO

The most anti climatic garbage of all time. Seriously the Night King should have just wiped out everyone and won at this point.

All the characters are completely stupid now. I don't even care who live and dies anymore or what happens.

I can't wait to see the expressions on everybody's face when the finale airs and _ Sits on the IRON THRONE. I went ahead and read the leaks since I just didn't care anymore which have in fact turned out to be accurate and let me just say Its going to be the funniest thing ever.

This show needed another 2 full seasons for this crap to make any sense. I guess Dave & Dan are in such a hurry to go ruin Star Wars some more that they couldn't wait to finish game of thrones. Damn shame too because HBO offered to do more episodes yet they turned it down. FACEPALM!

OzzFoxx

Hardcore gaming poser.
I was gonna ask OP for a TL;DR, but the more I reflect on it this prolly was the TL;DR.

OzzFoxx

Hardcore gaming poser.
Has anybody binged the show from start to end including the final 2 seasons thus far? I'm curious how jarring the transition is if you watch it like a movie. Its common for plot to speed up as a climax arises. One thing I think I've realized is that I think I now know why GRRM is taking so long to finish this thing... he's trying to avoid what we're experiencing now.