What's new

Atom MU Discussion

HapHaxion

"Knowledge" - Taio Cruz
Noticed a small problem in that there was no discussion thread purely for Atom MUs. Let's change that. Post numbers, difficult or easier matchups, etc. below.

D

Deleted member 58466

I have a feeling that Atom vs. Atro might be 6-4, mostly because Atom can low profile most of Atros' advancing strings. Atom also doesn't let Atros summon cat safely at any distance.

M2Dave

Zoning Master
Updated - 2/21/2018

I am not even going to bother with any match up numbers at this moment, but I can give a general idea whether each match felt "good", "bad", or "even". "Limited experience" means I could not make a determinations regardless of whether I was winning or losing the match. These classifications are obviously initial impressions that are not representative of any match up numbers.

Aquaman – even
Atom – even
Atrocitus – good
Bane – good
Batman – even
Black Adam – even
Black Canary – limited experience
Black Manta – even
Blue Beetle – good
Brainiac – bad
Captain Cold – good
Catwoman – bad
Cheetah – bad
Cyborg – good
Darkseid – even
Deadshot – good
Doctor Fate – good
Enchantress – good
Firestorm – limited experience
Flash – even
Gorilla Grodd – even
Green Arrow – limited experience
Green Lantern – even
Harley Quinn – limited experience
Hellboy – bad
Joker – even
Poison Ivy – good
Raiden – good
Red Hood – good
Robin – bad
Scarecrow – even
Starfire – good
Sub Zero – limited experience
Supergirl – even
Superman – even
Swamp Thing – good
Wonder Woman – even

As a rule of thumb, Atom does very well against zoning characters and characters who have limited aerial mobility. He also does well against characters' whose main footsies tools are easily low-profiled by d+3 and trait. He struggles against characters who are difficult to keep out of the air and whose main footsies tools cannot be low-profiled by d+3 and trait.

I would love to hear @OmGxBdON 's opinions on the character.

Last edited:

Mandolore1123

Man of Science Who Wields the Living Lightning
May I ask about the Atom/Firestorm and Atom/Cheetah matchups? How does he do?

Sent from my iPhone using Test Your Might

M2Dave

Zoning Master
Anyone got any tips on the Darkseid matchup?
My match up experience against Darkseid remains somewhat limited, but I think Atom has the ability to beat Darkseid in the zoning war. Gun and stomp do more damage than omega beams, which can be punished by an MB teleport at certain ranges. Stomp hits behind Atom so Darkseid's grounded teleport gets hit. The only move you have to pay special attention to is the aerial teleport. Be prepared to react and meet Darkseid in the air with a jumping attack.

d+3 is also very good versus Darkseid because the animation crouches under knee. If the Darkseid player does wake up MB knee, you can low-profile with d+3 and whiff punish with 1,1,2.

Finally, limit trait activation outside of block strings and combos. Omega beams always seem to hit Atom while in trait.

This match can be difficult because of the lopsided difference in damage output, but I think Atom has an advantage in every other category.

Mandolore1123

My match up experience against Darkseid remains somewhat limited, but I think Atom has the ability to beat Darkseid in the zoning war. Gun and stomp do more damage than omega beams, which can be punished by an MB teleport at certain ranges. Stomp hits behind Atom so Darkseid's grounded teleport gets hit. The only move you have to pay special attention to is the aerial teleport. Be prepared to react and meet Darkseid in the air with a jumping attack.

d+3 is also very good versus Darkseid because the animation crouches under knee. If the Darkseid player does wake up MB knee, you can low-profile with d+3 and whiff punish with 1,1,2.

Finally, limit trait activation outside of block strings and combos. Omega beams always seem to hit Atom while in trait.

This match can be difficult because of the lopsided difference in damage output, but I think Atom has an advantage in every other category.
Thanks. So I should work on my air-to-airs. What about Blue Beetle? I feel his air mobility like Brainiac causes problems since the gun is too slow he can just retreat if he sees me trying to d2 or air-to-air j1.

Cursa

Counterpoke with armoured DB2 at all times.
Now that he's been out a little longer, any updates on his solid winning and losing matchups?

Mandolore1123

I think M2Dave posted a preliminary MU chart in the MU thread. Though idk since I suck and I haven’t played many MUs enough to say. He does really well against superman. Fate too from what I’ve seen. But I’ve had trouble dealing with characters with high air mobility like darkseid and Brainiac.

Cursa

How does Atom fare against Poison Ivy?

I'm no top Atom player by any means, just been picking him up as of recently, and haven't fought an Ivy with him yet, so I guess this whole opinion is really just completely useless basically, but anyways..

I think Atom can deal with Vine's semi-decently with teleport, float, and trait at certain ranges, but B2 is pretty annoying to deal with as Atom I feel due to his lack of a good advancing mid. You can beat her wakeups pretty consistently with neutral jumps if you learn the timing of it.

Also I just tested so my timing might be a little off but DB2 for Atom (The stomp), on block you can shoot a BF1 and it seems to trade with reversal vine from Ivy, so I guess that's something.

Mandolore1123

I'm no top Atom player by any means, just been picking him up as of recently, and haven't fought an Ivy with him yet, so I guess this whole opinion is really just completely useless basically, but anyways..

I think Atom can deal with Vine's semi-decently with teleport, float, and trait at certain ranges, but B2 is pretty annoying to deal with as Atom I feel due to his lack of a good advancing mid. You can beat her wakeups pretty consistently with neutral jumps if you learn the timing of it.

Also I just tested so my timing might be a little off but DB2 for Atom (The stomp), on block you can shoot a BF1 and it seems to trade with reversal vine from Ivy, so I guess that's something.
What are your impressions on bad matchups?

Mandolore1123

I’ve had moderate success with him on ranked. Though his lack of footsies compared to Black Adam really irks me. I really do enjoy Atom though

Cursa

Indeed good sir

I’ve had moderate success with him on ranked. Though his lack of footsies compared to Black Adam really irks me. I really do enjoy Atom though

I've also had some pretty good success with him in ranked. I agree with most of the MU chart in the MU thread - characters with air mobility seem to do pretty consistently well minus a few. He doesn't have good anti air zoning tools outside of lucky BF1 shots, his D2 is kinda eh and his jumps ins aren't anything to write home about in terms of air to airs, but still usable.

Not sure whether someone having air mobility makes them a losing matchup per say, but it changes his gameplan and his meter build becomes harder, and therefore in most cases I would call it losing

Characters who control the neutral such as Robin or Wowo seems hard also but are usually easier to zone out, particularly Robin (Wowo not so much). I don't think that makes a losing matchup since Atom usually wins the zoning war pretty well against these characters, and means you have to do more of what I call the "Darkseid strategy" which is basically run away until trait comes up and you can compete in the neutral.

With that said, I feel like characters such as Brainiac can give him trouble. Darkseid is also sometimes tough if they got the instant airs really well, since they ignore DB2 basically but maybe BF1 MB works, idk. Apparently he beats Superman but I don't know the specifics of why.

Mandolore1123

I've also had some pretty good success with him in ranked. I agree with most of the MU chart in the MU thread - characters with air mobility seem to do pretty consistently well minus a few. He doesn't have good anti air zoning tools outside of lucky BF1 shots, his D2 is kinda eh and his jumps ins aren't anything to write home about in terms of air to airs, but still usable.

Not sure whether someone having air mobility makes them a losing matchup per say, but it changes his gameplan and his meter build becomes harder, and therefore in most cases I would call it losing

Characters who control the neutral such as Robin or Wowo seems hard also but are usually easier to zone out, particularly Robin (Wowo not so much). I don't think that makes a losing matchup since Atom usually wins the zoning war pretty well against these characters, and means you have to do more of what I call the "Darkseid strategy" which is basically run away until trait comes up and you can compete in the neutral.

With that said, I feel like characters such as Brainiac can give him trouble. Darkseid is also sometimes tough if they got the instant airs really well, since they ignore DB2 basically but maybe BF1 MB works, idk. Apparently he beats Superman but I don't know the specifics of why.
Cheers. I believe he beats Superman because his trait low profiles f2 and he can teleport every air laser or grounded sweep laser to punish. His d1 can contest trait cancels. I’ll rambling off the top of my head though.

Cursa

Cheers. I believe he beats Superman because his trait low profiles f2 and he can teleport every air laser or grounded sweep laser to punish. His d1 can contest trait cancels. I’ll rambling off the top of my head though.

You're probably right. I don't think trait low profiling counts completely as a losing matchup since it's still an 8 frame advancing mid which you're never going to do on reaction, but I think you're right on the teleport

Mandolore1123

You're probably right. I don't think trait low profiling counts completely as a losing matchup since it's still an 8 frame advancing mid which you're never going to do on reaction, but I think you're right on the teleport
So many Superman players mash f2 at the start of the match and eat a free 200 damage punish though :)

Cursa

So many Superman players mash f2 at the start of the match and eat a free 200 damage punish though :)

I wonder if he can trait between F23xx4 F23

Besides, doesn't just walk backwards and whiff punish work on most characters? I know it works on every other character I've player.

Cursa

D3 also low profiler F2

And he can activate trait between F23 4 F23, but D1 catches it.

It also low profiles throw attempts