What's new

Question Ask Smoke Thread - Have Any Question? Post It Here!

Kevlang

Noob
I need some tips or advice for executing some of smoke's combos...
I've been trying to expand my BnB's beyond my boring: 3 D1 2 > 3 D1 2 > 3 D1 2 > ENDER.

It seems like some of the highest damage strings start with:

3 D1 2, NJP, .....

Is there a trick to landing NJP after 3 D1 2 in mid-screen?
It's insanely easy in the corner of course, but I can't land it consistently mid-screen.

Also, there's a corner combo I just can't seem to land...

B2 3, Teleport, D1~SmokeBomb, 3 2, 3 2, ENDER

The timing on landing D1 is INSANELY difficult, and when I do manage to land it, I can't seem to cancel it into smoke bomb...

Any tips or pointers are most greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance for taking the time to help me out on this.

smokey

EX Ovi should launch
3 D1 2, NJP, .
Hold up after the 3,d1,2 as your character leaves the ground slide your finger over 1~2 quickly, your NJP will come out as soon as it can like this as you are buffering the input TWICE into the startup of your jump.

B2 3, Teleport, D1~SmokeBomb, .
Has to be done as soon as possible after you land from the TP, best way to cancel D1 to smokebomb is to use D1~B2 as your input, the down from the D1 will buffer into the B2 and give you the smokebomb, just keep your inputs clean and precise, same with everything execution based.

With pretty much everything regarding combo's and execution, you can nail it with practice, and if you cant then go practice some more. Honestly its the best way, once you ingrain something into your muscle memory it becomes very easy to do consistently.

Kevlang

Noob
Hold up after the 3,d1,2 as your character leaves the ground slide your finger over 1~2 quickly, your NJP will come out as soon as it can like this as you are buffering the input TWICE into the startup of your jump.

Has to be done as soon as possible after you land from the TP, best way to cancel D1 to smokebomb is to use D1~B2 as your input, the down from the D1 will buffer into the B2 and give you the smokebomb, just keep your inputs clean and precise, same with everything execution based.

With pretty much everything regarding combo's and execution, you can nail it with practice, and if you cant then go practice some more. Honestly its the best way, once you ingrain something into your muscle memory it becomes very easy to do consistently.
AWESOME! I'm going in Training mode now to try out those tips. Thanks for being so helpful.

RiBBz22

TYM's Confirmed Prophet/Time-Traveler
I need some tips or advice for executing some of smoke's combos...
I've been trying to expand my BnB's beyond my boring: 3 D1 2 > 3 D1 2 > 3 D1 2 > ENDER.

It seems like some of the highest damage strings start with:

3 D1 2, NJP, .....

Is there a trick to landing NJP after 3 D1 2 in mid-screen?
It's insanely easy in the corner of course, but I can't land it consistently mid-screen.

B2 3, Teleport, D1~SmokeBomb, 3 2, 3 2, ENDER

The timing on landing D1 is INSANELY difficult, and when I do manage to land it, I can't seem to cancel it into smoke bomb...

Any tips or pointers are most greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance for taking the time to help me out on this.
D1 bomb after B23 teleport punch is actually pretty easy. If you are having trouble with it I would just do B23 TP and then hold down. You will see Smoke duck as soon as he recovers from the teleport punch so once you learn that timing you will have the timing down to start your d1. It is basically a slight pause, but you just have to get familiar with how your moves recover.

For the execution of d1~SB, just do the input for SB (DB2) but hit 1 during the down press for your D1. Also, practice just linking D1 into SB without doing it in the middle of the combo. Once you get it down it should be 2nd nature.

As for the first combo, I do not endorse doing the NJP after the first 3D12. It is not impossible to learn, but with Smoke's crazy damage output on his combos the NJP is only a slight damage boost and not worth the risk of dropping the combo. Plus the NJP changes the timing window of hitting the reset which is also something to be concerned about.

Check out FrothyOmen 's combo thread for some of the best bnb's Smoke has to offer.

smokey

EX Ovi should launch
As for the first combo, I do not endorse doing the NJP after the first 3D12. It is not impossible to learn, but with Smoke's crazy damage output on his combos the NJP is only a slight damage boost and not worth the risk of dropping the combo. Plus the NJP changes the timing window of hitting the reset which is also something to be concerned about.
Kevlang

The NJP adds a whole level of utility to your BNB combo's. When starting out, its definitely something you can leave off if you are dropping it, but once the timing is down you really should be implementing it whenever possible.

Maximising your damage isn't overly important when its just a few extra %, but if you cancel your NJP into a telepunch Smoke will swap sides during the combo so you can turn midscreen combos to face the wall. This means you will never get broken into the corner unless they break early during the 3,d1,2 or the NJP when you were already in the corner, as well as meaning you can keep your opponent locked against the wall too. It also helps build meter.

Kevlang

Noob
I just found this combo in practice mode... But I don't know whether or not it will work against a human opponent.... Please let me know what you think... Last I checked, 214 ~smoke bomb wasn't a real reset... but I'm so excited about this combo I came up with, I just had to ask to be sure...

214 ~ Ex Smoke Bomb > 3 d1 2 > 3 d1 2, f4 ~ Ex Smoke Bomb > 32, 32, 32, 214

It ads up to 87% using 2 bars, and the resets are almost 100% consistent... I feel like this could get more damage, but I've only just started playing around with it...

Last I checked, 214 ~smoke bomb wasn't a real reset...
You're right in that 214 smoke bomb/ex smoke bomb isn't a real reset, but if it's at the beginning of a combo and doesn't use ex smoke bomb, then it's not a reset and it will land. A 214 ex smoke bomb is just a combo starter, not a reset. Also, you should post that in the Smoke Living Combos Thread and check to see if anyone else found it or something :)

You're right in that 214 smoke bomb/ex smoke bomb isn't a real reset, but if it's at the beginning of a combo and doesn't use ex smoke bomb, then it's not a reset and it will land. A 214 ex smoke bomb is just a combo starter, not a reset. Also, you should post that in the Smoke Living Combos Thread and check to see if anyone else found it or something :)
I have no idea what you're talking about... 214 only links to smoke bomb in the corner. 214exsb should never be used unless the extra chip will kill. That's literally the only time. 214sb works in th e corner, no reason to ever ex it....

RiBBz22

I just found this combo in practice mode... But I don't know whether or not it will work against a human opponent.... Please let me know what you think... Last I checked, 214 ~smoke bomb wasn't a real reset... but I'm so excited about this combo I came up with, I just had to ask to be sure...

214 ~ Ex Smoke Bomb > 3 d1 2 > 3 d1 2, f4 ~ Ex Smoke Bomb > 32, 32, 32, 214

It ads up to 87% using 2 bars, and the resets are almost 100% consistent... I feel like this could get more damage, but I've only just started playing around with it...

The only time I would ever do an ex bomb after a 214 string is if I am throwing 214 out for pressure and my opponent ends up not blocking...then depending on the situation it might make sense to hit confirm into ex smoke bomb for a combo. Otherwise, just start this same combo with 21 smoke bomb and use your meter for resets instead of the initial launcher.

Kevlang

Noob
This combo that I posted is a mid screen combo... Normally I would would only use 214~SB in the corner, but I was playing around in Training mode and realized that 214~exSB was wasn't just a combo starter... It's RESETTING them...

That can't be right though... It's not like somebody would've already found this by now... Or is it just not as damaging as other reset options?

FrothyOmen
What am I missing on this? Is this combo legit?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

RiBBz22

This combo that I posted is a mid screen combo... Normally I would would only use 214~SB in the corner, but I was playing around in Training mode and realized that 214~exSB was wasn't just a combo starter... It's RESETTING them...

That can't be right though... It's not like somebody would've already found this by now... Or is it just not as damaging as other reset options?

FrothyOmen
What am I missing on this? Is this combo legit?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2
It isn't a reset, the ex bombs hitbox is large enough to make 214 ex bomb combo.

I have no idea what you're talking about... 214 only links to smoke bomb in the corner. 214exsb should never be used unless the extra chip will kill. That's literally the only time. 214sb works in th e corner, no reason to ever ex it....
Lol, I think you responded to the wrong post.

No the combo is not legit. 214 should not be linked into exsb under any circumstances whatsoever barring round ending chip damage when telepunch won't be enough. Midscreen on hitconfirm link to telepunch and corner on hitconfirm link to sb

Lol, I think you responded to the wrong post.
You said 214 exsb is a combo starter.... No it's not. Go in training and set the dummy to auto block and roll. It doesn't true combo. No reason to ever use that in the corner either, so it's not even fair to count as a combo starter. b14,214sb is more legit than that lol

You said 214 exsb is a combo starter.... No it's not. Go in training and set the dummy to auto block and roll. It doesn't true combo. No reason to ever use that in the corner either, so it's not even fair to count as a combo starter. b14,214sb is more legit than that lol
I know it should never be used, Frothy. I was just saying that it was not a reset, but a combo starter, which it is; just not a very good one. I'd never use it.

After a reset in the corner, does anybody have any advice to land a 32,32,32, f4>Ex smoke bomb for another reset? I heard it's possible, but just very difficult.

Tony will tell you just how hard it is, lol. Like, it's not the hardest reset smoke has by any means, but in terms of getting it consistent in tournament?

LBSH smoke players can't even reset consistently with the "easy" resets, this shit will never happen and will never be viable, lol. It'd be a miracle to hit it, it's always better to just go for the safe option. Is 70+% for 1 bar not enough for you? Kappa

Faded Dreams V

Retired June 2012. Unretired June 2013.
After a reset in the corner, does anybody have any advice to land a 32,32,32, f4>Ex smoke bomb for another reset? I heard it's possible, but just very difficult.
Wait as the opponent is coming down, use one 32 (not too soon), and use the F4~EX Bomb when they're in the right range. I can't explain that range to you. Just have to practice.

That said, I wouldn't recommend ever using two resets unless it's the last round, and your opponent has a big life lead. There are many corner set-ups to use instead.

TONY-T

Mad scientist
yea its hard on small characters. on sheeva its easy.

i have a method for doing it..

(after corner reset) 32, 32, 32, f+4~EXsb..

The trick is to hit the first 32 at three quarter height. Then the next two 32's must be done instantly, practically on the first free frame after doing the first 32, same with the last 32, it has to be done on the first free frame after doing the 2nd 32. If you can do that, it makes hitting the f+4 a bit easier. But you still have to hit that almost instantly as well..

Frothy is right, its not easy. On a good night i can do it about 50 / 50, maybe slightly better then that. It depends if i get into a good rythm.