What's new

ask scorpion thread

Slips

Feared by dragons. Desired by virgins.
lol well no shit Kung Lao is a good back-up character. Thats like saying, "If this apple doesn't satisfy my appetite I'll go to this fuckin STEAK to make sure. :)

Good to see you finally posting. Your the best I've seen so far.

I've been in the lab trying to create a nice simple input 30%+ combo for online play and came up with one that does 35%. It also allows me to end the combo with a teleport punch to have the opponent in front of me or with 334 leaving them at fullscreen.

I am tempted to add ex hellfire to add 8% dmg bringing it to 43% and puts my opponent standing.

Is it worth doing this?

King

Sig Maker
I'd say it depends on the amount of meter you have. If you have 3 bars at that point, then it is definitely worth it for the extra damage and for the ability to remove your opponent's wake up options. If you've got 2 bars, it is slightly more risky but I'd still say worth it. If you've got one bar, I'd say it's not worth it considering that you'd have no meter left and that's never a good thing for Scorpion.

Only do it to end rounds. Ex helfire puts you at disadvantage, if you did it up close you're now on defence and if you did it when they were far you've given up offence. It's really not worth a bar better spent on ex teleport and spear.

Saint

Noob
In my opinion it's a really good way of keeping your opponent on their toes, anywhere between 2 and 3 bars of meter and I'll use it in the end of a bnb

Bluez

~ Rialt1 PrimE ~
Only do it to end rounds. Ex helfire puts you at disadvantage, if you did it up close you're now on defence and if you did it when they were far you've given up offence. It's really not worth a bar better spent on ex teleport and spear.
I agree completely, I use it if it wins the round for me. Other than that, I like having my meter for Ex Spear and tele.

Scoot Magee

But I didn't want to dash
It all depends on the your meter and the health of both players. 1 meter for an extra 8% on top of the damage from a bnb combo is great. I always use it after his bnb into air throw but if I feel I'm going to need the meter I'll just end with 1,1 xx teleport and apply pressure which can lead to even more damage. Just use your judgement.

I'd say it depends on the amount of meter you have. If you have 3 bars at that point, then it is definitely worth it for the extra damage and for the ability to remove your opponent's wake up options. If you've got 2 bars, it is slightly more risky but I'd still say worth it. If you've got one bar, I'd say it's not worth it considering that you'd have no meter left and that's never a good thing for Scorpion.
Pretty much this. Taking away your opp wakeup is pretty significant. And if it will close out the match then of course I'll burn the meter.

I agree too. Scorpions Ex bar is too precious to use Ex Hellfire unless it guarantees a win because he needs it for breaker and Ex Tele to get out of pressure. (Which still don't get the job done sometimes.)

rrespiritu

Mortal Kom~what now?
Conditional :
2meters winning on life = ex helfire
1meter losing on life = NO NO

depends on how fast you can get your meter or how safe you play, for me if i have 1 1/2 meter - full i can play 50/50 and do unsafe combos with scorpion or what you call reckless but with high damage pay, but if the opponent really gives me pressure or a hard time to connect with my combo checks i play safe until i get a sure breaker.

ELC

Scrublord McGee
Honestly, you're probably better off in the long run going for a vortex-setup into safe-pressure, if only because blockstrings build meter faster than anything else.

ryublaze

Noob
Hi. This is my first post in the Scorpion forum. I was messing with 2, 1+2 and it seemed similar to Sub-Zero's F4, Iceball/Slide.

I don't know if this is old or not, but after pressing 2, 1+2, you can quickly input Down, Back because Teleport and Takedown both start with Down, Back. Then you can just confirm whether to press 3 or 4.

2, 1+2 not blocked then use Teleport.
2, 1+2 blocked then use Takedown.

I know the Takedown can be fuzzy guarded, but with the new patch coming around the corner this may work better. I posted about this at Gamefaqs but didn't get much replies. Any thoughts?

Lord Beef

Death Metal and Trance
Hi. This is my first post in the Scorpion forum. I was messing with 2, 1+2 and it seemed similar to Sub-Zero's F4, Iceball/Slide.

I don't know if this is old or not, but after pressing 2, 1+2, you can quickly input Down, Back because Teleport and Takedown both start with Down, Back. Then you can just confirm whether to press 3 or 4.

I know the Takedown can be fuzzy guarded, but with the new patch coming around the corner this may work better. I posted about this at Gamefaqs but didn't get much replies. Any thoughts?
I've only seen the shoulder bash used as part of his mix up vortex. Like say you've conditioned the opponent to block low after landing f2 1~TP (safe cross up jump) into f4~spear for example. And the takedown as it is, is ass. Just my $0.02

-b_s- :headbang:

You dont have time to confirm a hit with the shoulder charge starter. You have to teleport immediately after the 2, 1+2 which is risky but worth it.

vegeta

Saiyan Prince
Yeah the move is something I generally use when I put my opponent into his vortex, even then it's risky because it can be punished if they block it. I only use it when my opponent gets duck happy on my F+4, spear after hitting a TP, then I use it followed by a spear to continue my vortex. Now on it's own the takedown isn't too great, however it's far from useless. I like to use it when I pressure game and the opponent tries to attack with a lot of high moves or a projectile up close, I can use it to go under the stuff as an alternative to teleporting if the opponent has enough time to block. I've used it once or twice to get out of a corner too if my opponent jumps or does something I can't react fast enough to, but overall he has other ways and punishers to get outta corners or avoid things and give you better damage.

Bluez

~ Rialt1 PrimE ~
Also, does the new JIP mechanics break Scorps safejump game? I gotta test this stuff later.

vegeta

Saiyan Prince
Yeah the move is something I generally use when I put my opponent into his vortex, even then it's risky because it can be punished if they block it. I only use it when my opponent gets duck happy on my F+4, spear after hitting a TP, then I use it followed by a spear to continue my vortex. Now on it's own the takedown isn't too great, however it's far from useless. I like to use it when I pressure game and the opponent tries to attack with a lot of high moves or a projectile up close, I can use it to go under the stuff as an alternative to teleporting if the opponent has enough time to block. I've used it once or twice to get out of a corner too if my opponent jumps or does something I can't react fast enough to, but overall he has other ways and punishers to get outta corners or avoid things and give you better damage.
I take back my takedown statement to an extent. It's safe now....

- takedown (d,b+4) is safe; specific frame data unknown

- EX takedown is faster and covers more distance

vegeta

Saiyan Prince
Not sure. That would be the downside to the jump spam upside. Grant I can deal with it but at times it sucks. I think with the JIP though they just mean you can't attack right away or something. I gotta test it out...but if it does it'll affect a few vortex options, like jip then f+2,1, we may have to just go in for f+2,1. Or yeah his jip game...no way to tell till I get it for ps3. The takedown is a plus. Now I can use it without worrying bout getting punished. the EX one has more range too apparently. I'll see. Give him a test drive and then start working on my kitana.

What you said is a valid combo, but there's a much better version of it. After the 1, 1+2, teleport. You can dash then 1,1,1, spear. jump over, f2, 1, teleport. This leads into a vortex, after inflicting 36%.

Off a jip I always use the 21 string. From this you can go 21~takedown for a low or finish the string 212 for an overhead. I find this mixup easier to use, but still wither punishable 50/50 guessing game for Scorpion. I swear his whole fighting style revolves around 50/50's lol.

The Takedown is a thing of beauty now I must say. It is slightly faster and NRS cut the roll back animation out completely so he gets straight up. :en Takedown can land from jump distance and is just a tab bit slower than Night Wolfs Shoulder Charge. It can also be used as a substitute for when :en Spear wiffs a crouching opponent. AND IT HAS ARMOR!!!!!!

If you can't end combos with jip f21 teleport then that's not to great, if the opponent can easily get out of the vortex without even having to guess, then I'm most definitely hopping on that Cyrax bs lol. Not even safe takedown will make up for that.

King

Sig Maker
Takedown isn't safe on block; it's just safer than it was (which still isn't very safe.)

And no, the jip mechanic doesn't mess with Scorpion's safe jumps. The only thing that was changed was the ability to get a guaranteed, uninterruptable throw attempt. Combos and block strings work the same way they did before.