What's new

Ask Raiden Thread

B W1zZ

Noob
In the place of back b3~superman you can also do jump kick~superman for an additional 1%.
You could also dash 33 superman for an additional 1%. I find jump kick superman as a combo ender way too sketchy to even bother, unless it's in the corner.

You could also dash 33 superman for an additional 1%. I find jump kick superman as a combo ender way too sketchy to even bother, unless it's in the corner.
Yea I have noticed it's hit or miss after 334~tele f2~shocker.

It's pretty consistent from b312~dash shocker f2~vb though.

B W1zZ

Noob
Yea I have noticed it's hit or miss after 334~tele f2~shocker.

It's pretty consistent from b312~dash shocker f2~vb though.
You should post B312 dash shocker, F2 VB jk superman in the kombo kompendium, along with the exact amount it does (without a jump in punch). I'm guessing 36%? I can't test anything right now.

Ok guys, help out a brother really quick.
I will pick up Raiden (again), and in a nutshell, I need you guys to help me cover his combos, and how to pressure with him (I'm a rushdown). I know Raiden requires patience, but I believe the more I practice, the more this will fit into my mentality.

B W1zZ

Noob
Ok guys, help out a brother really quick.
I will pick up Raiden (again), and in a nutshell, I need you guys to help me cover his combos, and how to pressure with him (I'm a rushdown). I know Raiden requires patience, but I believe the more I practice, the more this will fit into my mentality.
Check out the Kombo Kompendium and look for the combos with :top: next to them, these are basically the best combos you should learn to use. Pressure with his normal strings, like 334, B312, F24, 121/1212. Mix in pokes and teleport cancel strings. use :en shocker as a consistent anti air for jump in punches/kicks and learn the 30% combo off of :en shocker. Raiden has superman and teleport, which are both threats from pretty much anywhere on the screen. Also rushing down can be really strong, but sitting on a life lead and waiting for your opponent to make a mistake can be even stronger. You generally want to be careful rushing down a character like cage, who's up close pressure is stronger. Just a few things to keep in mind.

WaweR

Noob
We all know that cancelling blocked 334, B312 and other strings is must in raiden offense. My question is which stuff is best to cancel them in?

3/33~VB, B3/B31~VB are what I mostly use coz it was great and even afterpatch it make us neutral or close to neutral in frames. Also I`m trying to cancel with tele more which often is confusing for opponents but my habbits are hard to break ;p I've read here in MYM forum that D3 into F24 is good. Still dunno if I should cancel strings in VB then D3 F24 or skip VB?

Another thing is how to follow up VB. I used to try B312 string but now after patch it rarely connects. Any tips ? Maybe 334,121 or D3 which i mentioned before? Naturally njp vs crossovers are fine ; p
I know it all depends on many things. They're many options. So which are most usefull? Which one do you mostly use?

B W1zZ

Noob
We all know that cancelling blocked 334, B312 and other strings is must in raiden offense. My question is which stuff is best to cancel them in?

3/33~VB, B3/B31~VB are what I mostly use coz it was great and even afterpatch it make us neutral or close to neutral in frames. Also I`m trying to cancel with tele more which often is confusing for opponents but my habbits are hard to break ;p I've read here in MYM forum that D3 into F24 is good. Still dunno if I should cancel strings in VB then D3 F24 or skip VB?

Another thing is how to follow up VB. I used to try B312 string but now after patch it rarely connects. Any tips ? Maybe 334,121 or D3 which i mentioned before? Naturally njp vs crossovers are fine ; p
I know it all depends on many things. They're many options. So which are most usefull? Which one do you mostly use?
:fk:fk,VB, :l+:fk,:fp,VB are good options imo. You don't want to cancel into vicinity blast much if you're playing against a low hitbox character like kitana/reptile since it will whiff, but it's useful. It's bad if you become too predictable using VB since it's pretty easy to punish. Try mixing up when/if you are going to tele and play mind games, but stay mindful of if your strings will/are connecting since you don't want to miss out on big damage by cancelling into a vb or tele. Mix up some :en tele into your game after :fk:fk and :l+:fk,:fp but don't overdo it. Generally after a blocked vicinity blast it's a good idea to do a downjab (depending on the character), like a :d+:fk into :r+:bp,:bk..... :fp,:bp,:fp is really good if they try combo punishing you after a blocked vb in most cases, :l+:fk,:fp,:bp and :fk,:fk,:bk have too slow of a startup and you'll get beaten out in most situations attempting those strings.

As far as mixups go and what to do it's really all about freestyling and reading your opponent.

WaweR

Noob
Thanks man. Good tips which I was hoping for. Mind games are what I play Raiden for ; ]

I know it all should (and will) be tried on my own skin but still :

so I shouldn't cancel into naked poke (except low hitbox chars) coz VB is simply better, and instead as one of the options follow VB with them?

Sry for this it's 4 AM in Poland and I`m close to brainfuck =]

B W1zZ

Noob
Thanks man. Good tips which I was hoping for. Mind games are what I play Raiden for ; ]

I know it all should (and will) be tried on my own skin but still :

so I shouldn't cancel into naked poke (except low hitbox chars) coz VB is simply better, and instead as one of the options follow VB with them?

Sry for this it's 4 AM in Poland and I`m close to brainfuck =]
No I meant don't use VB on low hitbox characters while pressuring them since it will whiff and put you at a disadvantage.

WaweR

Noob
I just wanted to know if VB is really better than poke when cancelling ;p
And yup, I understood that poke or tele or anything >> VB vs low hitbox chars.

And who are other low hitbox chars coz I didn't really know it? ; (

B W1zZ

Noob
I just wanted to know if VB is really better than poke when cancelling ;p
And yup, I understood that poke or tele or anything >> VB vs low hitbox chars.

And who are other low hitbox chars coz I didn't really know it? ; (
I think Scorpion, Ermac, Reptile, Cyrax, Smoke, Sektor, Quan Chi, and Kabal when he's in the corner. There might be others. You can do :en vicinity blast instead to guarantee that it doesn't whiff, but it burns meter.

CJKRattlehead

Two men enter, one man leaves!
I think Scorpion, Ermac, Reptile, Cyrax, Smoke, Sektor, Quan Chi, and Kabal when he's in the corner. There might be others. You can do :en vicinity blast instead to guarantee that it doesn't whiff, but it burns meter.
Ex VB seems like a huge waste of meter now. I simply wouldn't go for it anymore.

VB wiffs on all females except kitana i believe maybe even her. I'm doing this from memory because i gave up on canceling into vb.

B W1zZ

Noob
Ex VB seems like a huge waste of meter now. I simply wouldn't go for it anymore.

VB wiffs on all females except kitana i believe maybe even her. I'm doing this from memory because i gave up on canceling into vb.
It whiffs on kitana too. Doesn't whiff on sheeva

CJKRattlehead

CJKRattlehead

Why did you gave up vb ? What do you use instead ?
Tele cancels or doing B3 into a poke or another string. Occasionally canceling into EX Bolts. Raiden simply isn't a pressure oriented character i tend to try to stay just outside sweep distance.

Yea I do that and mash 2 but I think that hurts it rather than helps it sometimes or it hurts and I shocker but it doesn't come out

B W1zZ

Noob
Yea I do that and mash 2 but I think that hurts it rather than helps it sometimes or it hurts and I shocker but it doesn't come out
Well if you're playing online the timing will be different...if it's giving you that much trouble try substituting :r+:bp with :d+:fk:d:r+:bp instead...does less damage but it's consistent online.

Playing on an HDTV can have an effect on it as well, but generally you want to time the input just as the teleport animation is finishing on a CRT or lagless monitor (HDTV you'll probably have to time it a little earlier).

Edit: I have merged the "tips for raiden" thread into the "Ask Raiden Thread".

Raidenwins

Raiden Practitioner
Well if you're playing online the timing will be different...if it's giving you that much trouble try substituting :r+:bp with :d+:fk:d:r+:bp instead...does less damage but it's consistent online.

Playing on an HDTV can have an effect on it as well, but generally you want to time the input just as the teleport animation is finishing on a CRT or lagless monitor (HDTV you'll probably have to time it a little earlier).

Edit: I have merged the "tips for raiden" thread into the "Ask Raiden Thread".
Yea, I can confirm that landing d3~Shocker is much easier than f2~Shocker. However, the input becomes d3f2 instead of d3~df2.

lazybird123

Purple Belt in BJJ, White Belt in MK
Some questions for B Wizz and some of the other great Raiden players on here:

1) Has anyone created a list of Raiden's moves and when he has advantage/disadvantage/nuetral, and if not, would you guys be interested if I made one? I've been recently sitting down with my bro and I went through some of his moves trying to figure everything out.
2) What do you guys think about canceling Raiden's strings with a Vicinity Blast as an Anti-Air? I know it sounds weird, but a lot of guys who like to crossover jump after a blocked string will hit this while jumping. It's been really working out for me and I've gotten some good players with it (and I play against some of the top players in SoCal if thats something).
3) What do you guys think about sacrificing some some damage in the corner and finishing your combos by flattening your opponent out? Like for example, if you hit three 334 combos in the corner and cancel the last one into an EX fireball you end up with sort of a reset situation. If you cancel it the opponent won't have enough time to wakeup attack you without you blocking, and even if they do hit you, the second fireball will end up hitting them and saving you.

CJKRattlehead

Some questions for B Wizz and some of the other great Raiden players on here:

1) Has anyone created a list of Raiden's moves and when he has advantage/disadvantage/nuetral, and if not, would you guys be interested if I made one? I've been recently sitting down with my bro and I went through some of his moves trying to figure everything out.
2) What do you guys think about canceling Raiden's strings with a Vicinity Blast as an Anti-Air? I know it sounds weird, but a lot of guys who like to crossover jump after a blocked string will hit this while jumping. It's been really working out for me and I've gotten some good players with it (and I play against some of the top players in SoCal if thats something).
3) What do you guys think about sacrificing some some damage in the corner and finishing your combos by flattening your opponent out? Like for example, if you hit three 334 combos in the corner and cancel the last one into an EX fireball you end up with sort of a reset situation. If you cancel it the opponent won't have enough time to wakeup attack you without you blocking, and even if they do hit you, the second fireball will end up hitting them and saving you.
1) Not too much knowledge of Raidens Adv. on block, other than F24.

2) Jumping against Raiden is suicidal, I don't even use VB outside of combos anymore other than against Kitana.

3) I don't think Raiden has great options after a plant, better to go for the damage IMO.