What's new

Ask Raiden Thread

I think it may be worthwhile in the corner, midscreen I wouldnt use it since superman carries the opponent to the corner, raiden has a great corner game and doesnt really have the risk of getting put into the corner himself. f24 is great.

Do you think f23 is any good to use when pressuring? I don't think it has as much push back as f24 but I don't know for sure

GhosT

Noob
Question for raiden. When teleporting i get down poked a lot, i can down poke myself and land first most of the time, but having a rough time getting into a string after landing a poke, seems like the 334 and b 312 are just too slow to get in that way. Tried going to 121 but after poking from TP range it whiffs on me especially when they are trying to down poke me to death. Should i try teleporting into superman to gain some respect when they are spamming down pokes? What is a good way to make them stay on block?

Chaosphere

The Free Meter Police
Well, first of all you dont really want to just teleport to get in. You can sometimes if they aren't expecting it and you can hit them with a d1. One of the best places to teleport to get in as after a superman knockdown. You definitely can superman after a teleport but if they block it you're full combo'd. If you want to play risky and you know they are going to try and hit you, then I would recommend going with ex-shocker over superman/ex-superman. You use a bar of meter, but you can get a 30% combo. But once again, if they block it you're full combo'd. So this is mainly why you don't want to just teleport to get in.

Try working on your spacing. b3 has such a good range; it can wiff punish pretty much everything.

GhosT

Noob
Yeah its something i need to work on along with mixing up teleports in block strings. This info will help me in more than one situation. I am sometimes guilty of teleporting to get in but am making an effort to cut back on it and its working, along with staying grounded. Getting poked after teleport is something that happens to me not only off a raw teleport, but also after teleporting off a block string mixup. Just seems like there is something I'm not doing because the after mixing up teleports off 3, 33, 334 along with 334vb it has seemed like the one thing that stops all of it is a down 1, down 1 causes VB to whiff and has kept me from getting pressure off any teleport mixups, since its a fast and easy normal it counters it well. Maybe if i can land a few ex shockers or supermans it will let me continue pressure since they will be forced to respect something that keeps them from just poking me all day.. Ill try it out along with anyone else who has an idea.

GhosT

Noob
@ b w1zz what is the most reliable way to punish reptiles dash? 121 shocker? B321? What do you go to for the punish?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Xparent Green Tapatalk

B W1zZ

Noob
@ b w1zz what is the most reliable way to punish reptiles dash? 121 shocker? B321? What do you go to for the punish?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Xparent Green Tapatalk
121 shocker combo, and you can :ex shocker his enhanced dash after the first hit but the timing is strict.

Guys, I'm having trouble connecting a combo like 334 tele into a df2. I teleport immediately after my 334 successfully, but I can never land my df2. When exactly am I supposed to input the move?

Chaosphere

The Free Meter Police
Guys, I'm having trouble connecting a combo like 334 tele into a df2. I teleport immediately after my 334 successfully, but I can never land my df2. When exactly am I supposed to input the move?
You can't land just a shocker after 334~tele. If you can, it's not worth the execution it requires. You have to either go for 1~shocker, or f2~shocker. Try 334~tele, f2~shocker, 334, superman.

You can't land just a shocker after 334~tele. If you can, it's not worth the execution it requires. You have to either go for 1~shocker, or f2~shocker. Try 334~tele, f2~shocker, 334, superman.
Ugh, thanks so much! I guess a lot of these combos were nerfed in one way or another

Thanks so much :). It took me about an hour, but now I'm capable of actually doing something after a combo and a teleport 75% of the time.

Chaosphere

The Free Meter Police
Ugh, thanks so much! I guess a lot of these combos were nerfed in one way or another

Thanks so much :). It took me about an hour, but now I'm capable of actually doing something after a combo and a teleport 75% of the time.
Nice. Check out the kombo compendium I just updated. You should see all of the combos you need for now in there.

can some good raiden player tell me some moves you can whiff punish with superman from the range around his b3? I am experimenting with kung lao's ex spin which is a 9 frame forward advancing special. kung lao's strings don't hit mid so people will always try to poke me out of pressure and some people even just mash pokes and its hard to punish that if I am not close enough for a regular spin . right now I whiff punish d4's with ex spin, but I don't have a human at the moment to test how many frames I have to react to the whiffed d4 and I don't know whether the opponent just wasnt blocking because they didn't expect a fast forward advancing mid or if I really whiff punished them.

4x4lo8o

Noob
can some good raiden player tell me some moves you can whiff punish with superman from the range around his b3? I am experimenting with kung lao's ex spin which is a 9 frame forward advancing special. kung lao's strings don't hit mid so people will always try to poke me out of pressure and some people even just mash pokes and its hard to punish that if I am not close enough for a regular spin . right now I whiff punish d4's with ex spin, but I don't have a human at the moment to test how many frames I have to react to the whiffed d4 and I don't know whether the opponent just wasnt blocking because they didn't expect a fast forward advancing mid or if I really whiff punished them.
I'm not sure I understand what you're asking, but I don't really use superman to whiff punish a whole lot at the range. Mostly just whiffed d4's, particularly Sonya and Mileena, and also Reptile and Baraka. You can definitely whiff punish those if you're on point, if that's what you're asking.
In general I just use b3 at that range, since it's a full combo as opposed to 10% and it's safe on block if I misjudge or mess it up somehow. A properly spaced b3 will beat out most pokes, except for the d4's mentioned earlier, and in most other situations the extra 5 startup frames on b3 compared to superman usually don't matter that much. More of my superman use for whiff punishing comes from when I teleport behind them as they use a forward advancing string. Other than that I mostly use superman to punish stuff that leaves them vulnerable but far away on block, like Blade Charge or Force Push, or when they jump or for some reason whiff or do something stupid full screen.

u can whiff punish anything from that range, nothing has a duration frames less than 20.

I'm not sure I understand what you're asking, but I don't really use superman to whiff punish a whole lot at the range. Mostly just whiffed d4's, particularly Sonya and Mileena, and also Reptile and Baraka. You can definitely whiff punish those if you're on point, if that's what you're asking.
In general I just use b3 at that range, since it's a full combo as opposed to 10% and it's safe on block if I misjudge or mess it up somehow. A properly spaced b3 will beat out most pokes, except for the d4's mentioned earlier, and in most other situations the extra 5 startup frames on b3 compared to superman usually don't matter that much. More of my superman use for whiff punishing comes from when I teleport behind them as they use a forward advancing string. Other than that I mostly use superman to punish stuff that leaves them far vulnerable but far away on block, like Blade Charge or Force Push, or when they jump or for some reason whiff or do something stupid full screen.
thanks, kung lao can't really use anything else but ex spin to whiff punish pokes. I asked if it was possible from that range because that is the range where I prefer to pressure the opponent.

u can whiff punish anything from that range, nothing has a duration frames less than 20.
it needs to be possible by human reaction, you first have to see the move whiff which is probably already half the duration of the move, and then you have to react to it and input the ex spin. d4 is 33 frames duration I believe which should have a sufficient window to whiff punish with ex spin

4x4lo8o

Noob
Nightwolf's standing 1 has a duration of 19, and it's almost impossible to whiff punish something less than 30 frames long on reaction. Maybe I just suck, but I've messed up whiff punishing d4's with Superman before and even when I do hit it I'm moving in and out of it's max distance specifically trying to bait it and concentrating a good deal of my attention to superman'ing the second I see it.

Nightwolf's standing 1 has a duration of 19, and it's almost impossible to whiff punish something less than 30 frames long on reaction. Maybe I just suck, but I've messed up whiff punishing d4's with Superman before and even when I do hit it I'm moving in and out of it's max distance specifically trying to bait it and concentrating a good deal of my attention to superman'ing the second I see it.
a d4 comes out at 12 frames, for you to be able to whiff punish something you would have to be able to see the move come out, so thats already 12 frames minus the 33 frames of duration. superman is 10 frames, 21 frames minus 10 frames is 11 frames. you should have 11 frames to punish a d4. you need to be pretty fast to whiff punish a d4 and you kind of need to focus on a d4 coming out.

a d4 comes out at 12 frames, for you to be able to whiff punish something you would have to be able to see the move come out, so thats already 12 frames minus the 33 frames of duration. superman is 10 frames, 21 frames minus 10 frames is 11 frames. you should have 11 frames to punish a d4. you need to be pretty fast to whiff punish a d4 and you kind of need to focus on a d4 coming out.
1/6th of a second is too quick

4x4lo8o

Noob
it would seem like that, but low hat is -12 and anyone can punish that consistently with a 9 frame move right?
It's a little different, though. Punishing Low Hat you have all the execution frames of hat, plus all the frames of block stun, to react. Low Hat is 51 frames long on block, so you have 39 frames to prepare to punish in that last 12 frame window.

Chaosphere

The Free Meter Police
With superman, you can whiff punish anything with a duration longer than 10-13 frames which is every move in the game. You just have to be able to react quickly. And the reason I said 10-13, is superman's execution is 10 frames but with the distance I added on a window of a few frames. Superman is a universal whiff punisher. If you want more damage, go with a b3 combo, but obviously it's slower so use it at your discretion.

With superman, you can whiff punish anything with a duration longer than 10-13 frames which is every move in the game. You just have to be able to react quickly. And the reason I said 10-13, is superman's execution is 10 frames but with the distance I added on a window of a few frames. Superman is a universal whiff punisher. If you want more damage, go with a b3 combo, but obviously it's slower so use it at your discretion.
that is impossible you cant whiff punish something until the move aqctually came out.