What's new

Ashrah General Discussion

Marlow

Premium Supporter
Premium Supporter
Ashrah's normals look great but some of her specials dont make any sense and it makes her entire kit lack any sense of direction. As it stands, she doesnt look like she does anything specific. Just long buttons with mediocre looking specials. Its not a dig on her design. Not at all. I LOVE her design but her kit needs some more fleshing out IMO.

I think her kit has pretty decent direction. She's weapon based, so I'm guessing most of her normals are going to be slightly slower but longer range, making her more of a mid range character. Her specials and kit all play into this:

1. Longer range normals to poke and keep the opponent at mid range
  2. Light Projectile: Slow startup, less than full screen range, but a mid with huge hitbox. Likely used to harrass/pressure a character to keep them from walking in. Hit advantage likely enough to set up either another projectile, or buy time for her to walk into an ideal range, switch stance, or set up a Kameo
  3. Sword Slash: Simple go to ender, leaves opponent knocked down at just about or just outside of mid range. Likely a decent range to go for her projectile.
  4. Sword Uppercut: anti-air to stop opponent from jumping in
  5. Ghost Dash: punish fireballs, maybe punish normals, move in from full screen to mid range by cancelling. Also offers side switch with the quick hitter, useful in combos.
  6. Dark Projectile: Looks like faster startup, lets her be a bit more aggressive/zone
  7. Dark Sword Slash/Uppercut: same utility as before
  8. Dark Ghost Dash: More movement based, otherwise fairly similar to Light Ghost Dash
  9. Dark mode lets her stack potential damage, which she cashes in when she's in light mode. I'm curious with it being on a timer if she starts a combo, builds a stack, and then changes to light mid combo if it lets her cash in with her ender?
All in all, seems like her kit is designed around mid range control, pressure/harrassment tools, and movement. With the added twist of stance switch to give some possible burst damage.

I think she's going to start the game mid tier or lower, just because her gameplan is the type that takes awhile to settle in, compared to a straight 50/50 character like Smoke or Sub. But given time and knowledge she could end up being pretty formable.

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
I think her kit has pretty decent direction. She's weapon based, so I'm guessing most of her normals are going to be slightly slower but longer range, making her more of a mid range character. Her specials and kit all play into this:

2. Light Projectile: Slow startup, less than full screen range, but a mid with huge hitbox. Likely used to harrass/pressure a character to keep them from walking in. Hit advantage likely enough to set up either another projectile, or buy time for her to walk into an ideal range, switch stance, or set up a Kameo
  3. Sword Slash: Simple go to ender, leaves opponent knocked down at just about or just outside of mid range. Likely a decent range to go for her projectile.
  5. Ghost Dash: punish fireballs, maybe punish normals, move in from full screen to mid range by cancelling. Also offers side switch with the quick hitter, useful in combos.
  6. Dark Projectile: Looks like faster startup, lets her be a bit more aggressive/zone
  8. Dark Ghost Dash: More movement based, otherwise fairly similar to Light Ghost Dash
  9. Dark mode lets her stack potential damage, which she cashes in when she's in light mode. I'm curious with it being on a timer if she starts a combo, builds a stack, and then changes to light mid combo if it lets her cash in with her ender?
All in all, seems like her kit is designed around mid range control, pressure/harrassment tools, and movement. With the added twist of stance switch to give some possible burst damage.

I think she's going to start the game mid tier or lower, just because her gameplan is the type that takes awhile to settle in, compared to a straight 50/50 character like Smoke or Sub. But given time and knowledge she could end up being pretty formable.
Disjointed Hitboxes with space control, i'm really loving it so far.
It's like MK11 Skarlet but with a much better kit

Arqwart

D'Vorah for KP2 copium

Appreciate the detailed list, Marlow. My main thoughts on her kit design went towards a mid-range character akin to MK11 Kabal: good (but not excellent) at all ranges, lots of universal tools for different ranges, and capable of moving into whatever range works best for the current matchup. She's simple on the surface but I think she'll have a ton of nuance as with any mid-range character in deciding what's the best plan of action depending on the matchup. Always a lovely playstyle to me as I love the jack of all trades, master of none game plan. Makes a character more exciting to master when you aren't just learning how to get to your one gameplan as efficiently as possible.

what do you folks mean by "disjointed hitboxes"?
Weapons in MK typically have no hurtbox (area a character can get hit). This means the character is "disjointed" from the hitbox (area an attack can hit the opponent) of their weapon. Weapon attacks cover an area with a hitbox capable of harming the opponent without also extending the character's hurtbox. Example: MK11 Jade B2 / Wiggle Stick. Jade's wiggle stick extends out with her staff to smack the opponent, but the staff itself can't be hit to harm Jade.

Weapons in MK typically have no hurtbox (area a character can get hit). This means the character is "disjointed" from the hitbox (area an attack can hit the opponent) of their weapon. Weapon attacks cover an area with a hitbox capable of harming the opponent without also extending the character's hurtbox. Example: MK11 Jade B2 / Wiggle Stick. Jade's wiggle stick extends out with her staff to smack the opponent, but the staff itself can't be hit to harm Jade.
thanks for explaining, i know the mechanic but the term was new to me

SixPathsOfHate

Make triple skulls input BDF or DF Hold F
ant back and forth between the stances.
Both stances do that, the cancel everyone is talking about it's the one where she swithes her body with the astral projection, the light stance can't do that.
All forms of the dash and all follow ups cause you to teleport to the location.

Literally the only visible difference between them is that light has a follow up attack and dark doesnt. Both do the fast slash.
Both versions of Light Ghost Dash
Both versions of Dark Ghost Dash

DixieFlatline78

Everyone Has A Path
The projectile seems like it would be fine once you have your neutral rhythm set. It feels like it could be similar to Ryo's fireball. It'd be cool if it had like a period before it becomes active where it's guaranteed. Or if it could negate projectiles in its startup frames.

Depending on its reward it might become powerful in conjunction with the right Kameo. Her base kit may seem underwhelming, but she could be a nightmare in midrange when paired correctly.

Dark definitely seems more powerful, but it's temporary. It gives me SFV Vega vibes, but I think she's supposed to be less of a Stance character and more like an Injustice trait character. You want to be in it to get your Darkness stacks so you get your big fat punish and close out the round.

Does this mean she seems strong however? Not really. I think requiring an external resource usually kneecaps a character's strength tbh. Look at SF6. Reductively speaking, why would you want to build up two drinks as Jamie when you could get better versions of the same kit as Cammy?

SixPathsOfHate

The projectile seems like it would be fine once you have your neutral rhythm set. It feels like it could be similar to Ryo's fireball. It'd be cool if it had like a period before it becomes active where it's guaranteed. Or if it could negate projectiles in its startup frames.

Depending on its reward it might become powerful in conjunction with the right Kameo. Her base kit may seem underwhelming, but she could be a nightmare in midrange when paired correctly.

Dark definitely seems more powerful, but it's temporary. It gives me SFV Vega vibes, but I think she's supposed to be less of a Stance character and more like an Injustice trait character. You want to be in it to get your Darkness stacks so you get your big fat punish and close out the round.

Does this mean she seems strong however? Not really. I think requiring an external resource usually kneecaps a character's strength tbh. Look at SF6. Reductively speaking, why would you want to build up two drinks as Jamie when you could get better versions of the same kit as Cammy?
I'd rather they just made her a trap-lite character and made her ghost dash set a clone that pops on dark specials passing through it.

KingKhrystopher

Official Merlin of TYM
For one, she looks fucking amazing. Like, the 17 year wait was truly worth it. She’s IMO easily one of the best looking characters, so glad they went all in on the seraphic demonic look for her, rather than just making her look like a regular person. And she looks hella fun.

I hope she’s not bad, most of the characters I love end up being mid to low tier.

Benlo

PrayforSareena
I was not really a big fan of her before, but I'm kinda excited to play with her, I really like her moveset.

Since I don't want to look at any spoilers, does anyone know if she has a costume with her hat?
She has 2 differents skins with her hat, yeah. 1 is stunning and one of the most beautiful I saw :eek:
(I hope they are not "story mode exclusive")

SixPathsOfHate

I'm still doomposting about her moveset.

The KK gameplay showed that she had some redundant tools. Light Ghost Dash/Light Projectile.

I hope I'm wrong but based on the stuff seen I feel I'm not unless they did some more work. Imma still play her tho cause her outfit looks cool and I have yet to play a "hero" character in any fighting game yet.

Raider

Noob
Wasn't really impressed at first bit i am finding her more and more interesting as a character. Overall, she is one of the most interesting/unique female designs in the game and her gameplay looked kinda fun. She looks a bit like D'Vorah in the face too.

projectzero00

nomnomnom
They really hit the nail on the head with her design. I think she's the only female that actually stands out design-wise. The fabrics that make her costume look like biblical angels was a really cool idea.

Her play-style also looked really fun and the stances look interesting, I'm looking forward to exploring it.

Lt. Boxy Angelman

I WILL EAT THIS GAME
Gratitude x 1,000. I don't know whether to be intrigued or turned off by Astral Projection being cancelable. I have never had the dexterity for super cancel combo shenanigans. MK9 Kabal, Dragon's Fire Liu / Hellfire Scorpion / HQT Predator...that is kryptonite to me. However, given that this game doesn't look nearly as fast-paced, my hope would be to find a way to make my hands make it work.

Gratitude x 1,000. I don't know whether to be intrigued or turned off by Astral Projection being cancelable. I have never had the dexterity for super cancel combo shenanigans. MK9 Kabal, Dragon's Fire Liu / Hellfire Scorpion / HQT Predator...that is kryptonite to me. However, given that this game doesn't look nearly as fast-paced, my hope would be to find a way to make my hands make it work.
im not sure if its that kind of cancel, its rather that you throw it out to get around possible zoning, then cancel if the opponent doesnt zone but would block your attack.