What's new

Breakthrough Ares buffs revealed by Ed Boon - Patch notes coming 9/24, Patch drops 10/1

NB Semi Evil Ryu

Former Sub-Zero of the Midwest (2011 - 2015)
I believe that I speak the sentiment of most people who, like myself, were really thinking that this patch would hit THIS Tuesday and couldn't wait to get their hands on it:

Circus

Part-Time Kano Hostage
Wow..... This is honestly scary good.

That string being fixed to not whiff on crouch plus new teleports might seriously make him a candidate for one of the best in the game in my opinion. I don't think that could be said about the other character buffs so far.

Crathen

Death is my business
YES! Teleport buff gonna make movement a lot more smoother in neutral game and MB version recovering faster? Frametraps from 50/50 strings or GTFO move?

22 string fixed is nice.

Fred Marvel

It's actually Freddy Marvel
oh its coming on the first and patch notes tuesday looks like nrs listened to all the bitching lol
just please let lantern get no nerfs pls i dont wanna drop him

Konqrr

MK11 Kabal = MK9 Kitana
Shit... I will now refer to Ares as ScAres.

Now that they have given him Zatana's teleport... they need to give her something useful that DOESN'T require meter. How about safe kick special so she can wakeup? Yeah.

kevkopdx

Noob
Shit... I will now refer to Ares as ScAres.

Now that they have given him Zatana's teleport... they need to give her something useful that DOESN'T require meter. How about safe kick special so she can wakeup? Yeah.
exactly, with all the low tiers getting buffs, zatanna is gonna be dead last if she doesnt get anything :/

4x4lo8o We need to be grateful that we even got THIS. We'll really be able to breakdown everything once the full patch notes release.

But seriously

These are amazing so far, but like you said, it really doesn't change some match-ups.

In time my friend, in time.

Duck Nation

Dicks with a future
Wth? Now all the sudden everyone wants to act like theyve had love for ares from day one?
Bandwagon community
I think a lot of people still don't necessarily want to play him, but I do think he's going to be very interesting to fight now and mad fun to watch on stream. Can appreciate a character without having to be the one at the wheel!

Deyrax

Skarlet who ?
I think a lot of people still don't necessarily want to play him, but I do think he's going to be very interesting to fight now and mad fun to watch on stream. Can appreciate a character without having to be the one at the wheel!
Watching him wake up with teleport after every knockdown is indeed very interesting and mad fun to watch.

Flagg

Noob
It's about time he got a teleport system similar to Zatanna.I always wondered if Ares being given something like armour on his teleport would be a little ott.

As there was no mention of improving his buggy normals, I can only assume this is something that is being addressed for all characters with similar issues.

Flagg

Noob
Its not about what he can do when he gets there its about his changes being the biggest upgrade to the character. Ares is an inherently better character than Lobo.
Wouldn't be too sure about that ;)

I like using both characters and right now I think Lobo is way better than Ares. I'm glad they are both getting decent buffs but Lobo is gonna be really good in the next patch.

Everyone is going on about Ares teleports but im interested in what they mean by his "greater" combo abilities now. Also, it might be a nice touch if he can teleport in mid air now.

Duck Nation

Dicks with a future
I have to ask to sate my curiosity, even though I know this will bring out people dying to say something obnoxious and self-important - with the details of this particular character revealed, does this make anyone who was worried about the value the patch would add (or change) feel any better? The other characters shown off didn't have much displayed, true - but we keep getting told they're just "tastes" and these particular buffs amount to an actual major change. They gave him new moves, even if they are permutations of tools he already had. That's better than many characters in other fighters get going between actual named or numbered iterations! It seems like reason to pause and consider the actual scope of these alterations.