What's new

Breakthrough Ares buffs revealed by Ed Boon - Patch notes coming 9/24, Patch drops 10/1

Qwark28

Joker waiting room
Dude, If you get knocked down, then your opponent has earned the right to pressure you. End of story. You shouldn't be entitled to any kind of wake up aid. Knockdowns should put you on the defensive which is why they are scary in most other fighters.
Wakeups have existed since SF3 or so, get used to it.

haketh

Noob
I'm not the biggest fan of WUs in this game, but some of the stuff I'ms eeing are just...jeez.

Anyway back to Ares, with these cahnges and hopefully corner fies Ares has all he needs to really compete. Still gonna have some flaws defense wise but nothing wrong wiht that. The God of War bulldoze over you, he don't need no wall to block.

The Gabriel

Mean Man
Dude, If you get knocked down, then your opponent has earned the right to pressure you. End of story. You shouldn't be entitled to any kind of wake up aid. Knockdowns should put you on the defensive which is why they are scary in most other fighters.
most other fighters...that have systems in place to mitigate wake-up punishment that IGAU doesn't have.

The Gabriel

Mean Man
Ares still has a large hill to climb, especially if things like corner trait whiff don't get fixed. He still has incredibly short range normals, bad midscreen damage, loses all straight up projectile wars, no mixups from positive-on-block strings or normals, is free to characters who can armor through godsmack, can't whiff punish anyone due to worst backdash in the game, no decent combo-starting jump-in, and so on.

haketh

Noob
Ares doesn't have bad midscreen damage, he has mixup as long as he has Trait Sword, he has decent combos starting from a jump in, he doesn't straight up lose most projectile wars, and he can whiff punish.

PressBackToBlock

Always back the underdog
Ares still has a large hill to climb, especially if things like corner trait whiff don't get fixed. He still has incredibly short range normals, bad midscreen damage, loses all straight up projectile wars, no mixups from positive-on-block strings or normals, is free to characters who can armor through godsmack, can't whiff punish anyone due to worst backdash in the game, no decent combo-starting jump-in, and so on.
Do you even know who Ares is?

The Gabriel

Mean Man
Ares doesn't have bad midscreen damage,
It's quite mediocre from any practical starter midscreen.
he has mixup as long as he has Trait Sword,
Didn't say he lacks mix-ups, just that he lacks an important specific kind of mixup.
he has decent combos starting from a jump in,
Did I say he didn't? Yes, decent combos from a jump-in that is ass
he doesn't straight up lose most projectile wars,
He gets out-projectiled by any character that matters, yes.
and he can whiff punish.
Please record yourself whiff punishing f23.

Hellbringer

1 2 3 drink
In wich bible or under what fucking law does opponent earn the right to pressure after a knockdown? This is 2013 YOLO

It's quite mediocre from any practical starter midscreen.
Didn't say he lacks mix-ups, just that he lacks an important specific kind of mixup. Did I say he didn't? Yes, decent combos from a jump-in that is ass He gets out-projectiled by any character that matters, yes. Please record yourself whiff punishing f23.

he's a snowballer in my eyes, so is lex, he has to make a great read to get his game going, I do think there is validity to invis setups

Mr Aquaman

Armored Launcher
Administrator
Premium Supporter
He out projectiles sinestro, learn to whiff punish with b1, triat whatever you kids do for combos, jump in is 50% damage, mid screen, avg damage on combo off of every string is 35ish. No trait 25ish. No meter. Cry about no frame advantage? ha. If you can't utilize his jump ins quit. Ares is actually a really good character, that just became better.

The Gabriel

Mean Man
He out projectiles sinestro,
great, we found one.
learn to whiff punish with b1
You cannot punish what you cannot make whiff
avg damage on combo off of every string is 35ish. No trait 25ish.
Right , mediocre.
Cry about no frame advantage? ha. If you can't utilize his jump ins quit. Ares is actually a really good character, that just became better.
No one is crying about anything. Everyone (including me) is quite excited about the changes. It's just also good to keep things in perspective. Ares' jump-ins are ass compared to most of the cast - that's not debatable. He obviously has a gdlk j1 for air-to-airs, but that's neither here nor there. Ares is in no way, shape, or form a "really good character" - that implies he falls somewhere on the spectrum of the high tier, which is obviously ludicrous.

Mr Aquaman

Armored Launcher
Administrator
Premium Supporter
ZING

(also the only Ares to play Tom Brady after the game had been out for more than a month and he, you know, explored the match-up).
That he did ;]

2,2 is going to help greatly with his pressure, especially if they increase the range and not only the hitbox of the second hit. teleport greatly helps in 3 mu's bm, sups, and dooms. Hopefully a teleport backwards will occur and his keep away will become much more solid, seeing as above, his backdash is a friggin joke