What's new

Are you going to stop playing MK9 when Injustice comes out?

Will you stop playing MK9 when Injustice comes out?

• Total voters

Goldi

Noob
Nope. I already know what all the buttons do in MK.

.... the same reason I quit almost every other fighting game after 20 minutes.

JacopeX

Playing: Injustice, Persona, Blazblue, and MK
Capcom players play like 8 games at once. Hell, I play everything. MK, MVC, Skullgirls, P4A, SF, SFxT, TTT2, 3S.

No reason the MK community can't play 2 games at the same time.
I meant completely dropping and criticizing the game for another completely, hence separating things. My response is just based on what i'm reading in this thread and other discussions throughout the hype for Injustice.

Found the article I was talking about:
http://www.psu.com/a011338/Online-built-from-day-one,-really-lag-free,-say-Mortal-Kombat-devs?page=0

Mortal Kombat was designed from day one as a robust, fully-featured online experience, said the NetherRealm development team during a conference call with PlayStation Universe. During pre-production, we basically planned around online and all the cool features we wanted," said Adam Urbano, senior producer of Mortal Kombat. "...the online play — which is really, really, really lag-free — would not have been possible if we didn’t start two years ago in front of the basic technology. Since online fighting games live and die by their net code, the Mortal Kombat online team developed code that pulls "every possible bit" of gameplay data and sends it in individual packets. The end result of two years of planning is a system that's as efficient as possible, ensuring the best possible online connection between two players.

"We do a lot of things, too, to ensure that the net conditions between multiple players are perfect and ideal for a match-up," added Urbano. "Obviously, there’s nothing you can do if two people have a crappy connection — the game just isn’t going to be as good as if there’s a good connection — but we’ve optimized it as much as an engine can possibly be optimized."

Gamers can hop online and bash some heads when Mortal Kombat hits store shelves on April 19, 2011 in North America and April 21, 2011 in Europe.
Sound familiar?

Dizzy

False Information Police Officer
Premium Supporter
NetherRealm Studios
This happens every time a new game comes out. If its good and fun people will play it, if not they will go back to whatever they were playing before.

Obviously there will be a lot of people playing it in the beginning. The perpetual game hoppers always jump on the new games. Look at P4A, it had 100 man turnouts at Big 2 and a few weeks later it was struggling for 20.

After this year we will see how each game stacks up and whether both will stay alive or just one of them. We know what we get with MK9, however the people who can guarantee Injustice will be good/bad/balanced/whatnot are talking out of their ass as they have no idea how the game will end up. You can't determine game balance from promo vids.

Skkra

PSN: Skkra
If Injustice has netcode like MK's, I don't see it building a huge audience. Not everyone lives in a major metropolitan area where they access to close, regular, offline competition. A lot of people NEED that good online experience to get their game experience.

STRYKIE

Are ya' ready for MK11 kids?!
The MK fans are coming out to defend their game. This thread IS kind of bait for an argument.
I don't personally play MK9 anymore, but I understand where they are coming from.

Well, I love TTT2, but there was never a doubt in my mind that only a select few people would actually make it their main game. Honestly, it just doesn't have that mass appeal and it isn't the easiest game to start up fresh into. Same goes for Soul Calibur and King of Fighters.

There are tons of characters, new players have no idea who they are or how they play, and they have to learn the mechanics, AND newer players would already be playing catchup because former players already have had the system and characters down for a few games.

Injustice on the other hand is a brand new IP. It uses characters that everyone and their mother knows about. MvC3 and SF players have been awaiting and hoping that its a great game. It's made by NRS so they know they are going to make it so casual players could pick it up and play without training first for 10 hours. It's also got the fanbase of a good hefty chunk of the MK community, as you could see in this poll.

Either way you look at it, Injustice is 100% going to be more in the spotlight in the FGC than MK9 when it hits the shelves. There is no denying that.
Saying that it will kill MK9 is a completely different thing. I don't think that will happen at all. The players that love MK9 will stick to MK9. But as far as the the community growing for MK9.... I think most of the people who would of wanted to start to learn MK9 will most likely pick up Injustice or another fresher game first. I honestly think it is just being realistic. No offense to any MK fans.
Well yeah, the demographic that are interested in Injustice because it's the first new fighting IP in years with competitive ambition behind it are going to be the ones that truly appreciate it for what it is. The guys that are picking it up because they're fed up with MK9 so to speak (and even as you acknowledged this takes up a HUGE portion of them), aren't going to learn anything, and I don't see them sticking around for it for too long.

I consider myself a hardcore MK fan, but there are some MK games that even I passed on because I feel it didn't offer anything groundbreaking at the time (MK4, Deception - then again I guess it didn't help that Deception was released the same week as GTA San Andreas IIRC lol), and I initially felt the same way about Injustice, however I feel NRS has done enough to distance themselves from MK and totally make Injustice it's own experience.

That's why Injustice will take off, if it does, imo. Not because of some weird corporate cheerleading, if casuals took namesake and developers into account then SF3 should've had 10 times the impact SF2 did, but in reality, it didn't even muster 10%.

Circus

Part-Time Kano Hostage
Hah, yep. Lets hope they learned from their mistakes, but as long as online goes, I don't think anyone should be holding their breathe. Just a matter of hope at this point for all of us.

This happens every time a new game comes out. If its good and fun people will play it, if not they will go back to whatever they were playing before.

Obviously there will be a lot of people playing it in the beginning. The perpetual game hoppers always jump on the new games. Look at P4A, it had 100 man turnouts at Big 2 and a few weeks later it was struggling for 20.

After this year we will see how each game stacks up and whether both will stay alive or just one of them. We know what we get with MK9, however the people who can guarantee Injustice will be good/bad/balanced/whatnot are talking out of their ass as they have no idea how the game will end up. You can't determine game balance from promo vids.
You're missing one key factor in these new flavor of the month fighters that come out. It's all about appeal. You can't compare P4A to Injustice at all because Injustice is using a base of characters that everyone already knows and loves. Talking about balance and the quality of the game at this point is all assumptions and hopes so far, but even if a game has really broken elements(MvC3, MK), the appeal will make the game last.

What do you believe the main reason why serious competitive communities sprouted everywhere for MK9 even though it showed very clearly off the get-go that it had some flaws? The hotspot communities were the ones that had players that loved the MK franchise, like New York. The name Mortal Kombat is also why so many people bought the game immediately, and out of these millions that bought the game there are more chances of more people taking the game seriously.

If MK9 wasn't using the Mortal Kombat characters and instead was made by a completely different company but had the same exact play/mechanics/movesets, the game would of without a doubt not done nearly as good as it has so far. Injustice already has a gigantic fanbase from DC fans all over + fighting game fans + NRS fans.

I know it's speculation that it will end up more of a success than games like TTT2 and P4A, but it's not far off by saying that it's a pretty good speculation. Come on now. Again, I understand that this thread is basically fueling an argument against MK9 vets, but it really shouldn't. It's two completely different games like SF4 is to MvC3.

Circus

Part-Time Kano Hostage
I meant completely dropping and criticizing the game for another completely, hence separating things. My response is just based on what i'm reading in this thread and other discussions throughout the hype for Injustice.

I wouldn't worry. Alot of what is going on in this thread is because many people who played MK9 in the passed for a while are on Test Your Might again (or new members from other games altogether) for Injustice.

I don't think any current avid MK9 players/fan are going to drop the game completely. Kinda hard to believe they'd drop it after this long. The way the options in the poll are makes it seem like current players are leaving which is seriously just the poll, not reality.

Pariah

Holding on.
I'll play it from time to time, just like I do now. I don't always play MK cause of the online, so whenever there is a party or me and some friends gather up and shit we just play a bunch of fighting games party games.

MK is pretty up there because of 4 Player Tag Battles and the Fatalities. So I'm defenitly keeping it around.(+PLUS the Drinking Games y0!)

bipolar_shango

" Bros before Hoes"
I'll never drop MK. I even ordered three copies (1 xbox and 2 ps3) for my friends so I'll have competent people to play with. I really don't give a fak about Injustice. I'll buy it though.

Justice

Noob
Threads like this depress the fuck outta me. I'm not gonna lie and say that I haven't already pre-paid for Injustice but I mean MK is still large and in charge and going to EVO for an unprecedented 3rd time in a row! No other game has or will ever repeat that feat. Yet, when I come to TYM (a dedicated MK site) all anyone wants to know about is Injustice. Where are all the threads discussing what new tips and trick we are gonna use to make EVO the epic event for MK that it is? Where's all the hype and constructive call-outs and new strategies and match-up discussions?

In answer to your question, yes I did already pre-pay for my Injustice CE and I will be playing it. But more importantly, I'll be training at least 2 hrs per day for my first EVO experience.

Pariah

Holding on.
....but I mean MK is still large and in charge and going to EVO for an unprecedented 3rd time in a row! No other game has or will ever repeat that feat. Yet, ....
MK, is great but there has been plenty games that have appeared at EVO More than 3 Times (in a Row)... Super Turbo, Third Strike, CVS2, Guilty Gear, Marvel2.

I see what you mean but I just had to point that out.

Circus

Part-Time Kano Hostage
Where are all the threads discussing what new tips and trick we are gonna use to make EVO the epic event for MK that it is? Where's all the hype and constructive call-outs and new strategies and match-up discussions?

In the MK9 section of TYM?

Injustice is just getting alot of hype right now. I bet this is how forums for SF4 fans felt when MvC3 was getting some spotlight. There is no reason why they can't exist together.

STRYKIE

Are ya' ready for MK11 kids?!
MK, is great but there has been plenty games that have appeared at EVO More than 3 Times (in a Row)... Super Turbo, Third Strike, CVS2, Guilty Gear, Marvel2.

I see what you mean but I just had to point that out.
I'm pretty sure he meant non-Capcom games, it kinda sub-consciously goes without saying lol.

However yes he is technically wrong as Tekken Tag was also at 3 straight EVO events, but it still goes to show only the strongest of unity can have a game stick around for that long given how rarely that happens.

Pariah

Holding on.
I'm pretty sure he meant non-Capcom games, it kinda sub-consciously goes without saying lol.

However yes he is technically wrong as Tekken Tag was also at 3 straight EVO events, but it still goes to show only the strongest of unity can have a game stick around for that long given how rarely that happens.
Yeah, I figured that.. but you gotta pay your respects where are due.

Oh yeah... Tekken Tag, I felt like I was missing something. I feel ashamed . =/