What's new

Match-up Discussion Aquaman Matchup Discussion

HGTV Soapboxfan

"Always a Pleasure"

Here is the match. I am going to go through it like I would my own match, making a point of decisions I agree with and disagree with. Riyo, please dont be insulted if I disagree with anything you did, obviously being objective and having all the time to analyze is different than heat of the moment when making decisions, so dont worry about it. Hopefully though we can see what decisions can be made in what situations so that we all dont make the same mistake over and over. So, here we go.

1:02 - Good start. Black Adams Anti air kind of sucks, so he often has to air to air. You show him here that he cant just sit back and throw lightning, he will have to stop your jump. You happen to get a full combo, but choose to try a gimmicky reset. I always suggest fwd 2 1+3 against Black Adam. If you did and guessed right, you would have opened up a huge health lead and would have been in a great spot to win, with an 70 percent lead. Instead you let him initiate some offense.

1 :15 - I disagree with this FTD. Obviously it got you punished, but here is why I actually disagree. You just showed him that he would have to air to air you to stop your offense. Then you give him something he can punish by jumping. Since you had a health lead, i would have tried to be more patient, see if he was willing to jump (you could probably d2 that dive kick) or if he still wanted to throw lightning, which you could have tom bradyed and traded chip since you had the health lead, etc. No need to rush everything, you had the advantage here.

1:25 - 1:40 - This is tough to deal with. Just have to work on your blocking, and take the chip. Better than getting hit, even though it still sucks.

1:44 - Just a missed hit confirm I guess?

1:53 - This is really where the match ends. You could have MB b3ed, but he really seemed to catch you off guard. Just a good read from Rico.

The rest of the match is kind of frantic and not really worth commenting on. Unfortunately, the match was kind of over.

Match 2

3:10 - 3:20 - Great start. You baited him into playing the spacing game, which is good for aquaman. He jumped (which you conditioned earlier with the air to air mindgame as well) and you punished. You went for the oki setup, but guessed wrong, theres not much you can do. You tried to back dash lightning, but looking at the match objectively, you can see that he would probably MB because he was going for chip, otherwise, he could have used lightning hands for the same purpose with no risk. OBviously that is really hard to see coming in tournament, which is why I suggest the back dash only when he has no meter.

3:46 - Wow, you really have got him with this jumping mind game. Good stuff. Another great read.

3:54 - The oki setup works out for you. Unfortunately, the health bar system screws you over and you cant get a large health lead. Also, mb wasnt necessary, but not a big deal.

4:04 - Another jump in. Way to abuse what works. That is really important. Once again, you guess wrong on the oki setup. Not much to say, this is just how it works out sometimes.

4:15 - 4:22 -Just have to be more patient and block those lightnings. If you did that, you might have forced him to come to you. Then he might overextend, and you could have gotten a punish. Even if he caught you, it wouldnt be that big of a deal because you would only lose that first health bar. Instead, you kind of threw it away.

4:26 - He finally is willing to AtA. At this point I would be looking for this, he needed the damage. But once again, really hard to see in a tournament set.

4:30 - 4:45 - This is a really really hard situation. It is hard, but you can jump over MB lightning, and then he wouldnt get the chip. Otherwise, I would have just taken it. You would be down on life, but had a huge meter lead, so it would have been a very winnable game, especially if you could get off a random trident into a quick 20 percent.

4:46 - This is really the read you needed to make. You had meter, so you probably could of MB b3ed, or jump, or even just blocked and made a risky read on his pressure afterwards.

5:01 This is over. Trait is a killer.

Overall, the main things were better blocking, and blowing up instant divekick. Otherwise, you played it very well. Riyo, if you want to give your thoughts on this, maybe what was going through your head in the match, or if anybody has anything to add or discuss. Lets figure this match out.

I am going to tag OZZYGUITAR, my sparring partner who plays Black Adam and see if he has anything to add as well.

Riyo

Noob
I felt like I adjusted a bit in match 2 but got impatient and kept getting hit by everything. Sometimes when I dash or moving back and forth, I feel like that I am blocking low to block the lightning but I get hit. IDK if input error or I'm just bad. I do feel that I'm somewhat getting better at the matchup but it's still hard for me to deal with.

HGTV Soapboxfan

"Always a Pleasure"
I felt like I adjusted a bit in match 2 but got impatient and kept getting hit by everything. Sometimes when I dash or moving back and forth, I feel like that I am blocking low to block the lightning but I get hit. IDK if input error or I'm just bad. I do feel that I'm somewhat getting better at the matchup but it's still hard for me to deal with.
It's deceptively fast and hard to react to.

What's good man I understand completely I tend to have a hard time on that MU myself honestly I think that your gameplay tactics were good input error maybe just bad I don't think so. From one aqua to another that was some fine playing. If you find yourself online on live hit me up anytime just talk mu's or run a set.

Riyo

Noob
It's deceptively fast and hard to react to.
Yeah like sometimes when I think I can jump over it and punish with FTD, I just get hit during my jump animati0n.

What's good man I understand completely I tend to have a hard time on that MU myself honestly I think that your gameplay tactics were good input error maybe just bad I don't think so. From one aqua to another that was some fine playing. If you find yourself online on live hit me up anytime just talk mu's or run a set.
Sure man! I might be on later tonight so I'll send you a message.

HGTV Soapboxfan

"Always a Pleasure"
Yeah like sometimes when I think I can jump over it and punish with FTD, I just get hit during my jump animati0n.
I think that is going to be the key to this matchup honestly, learning to jump it on reaction (according to a lot of people you can, so I will have to practice i guess) and punishing. I am trying to think of a better overall game plan though, because right now honestly all we have is jumping at him. And with your match we can see that even if you hit a few jump ins, he can anti air or air to air you just once and the match can be pretty much over. There has to be more we can do, but I cant think of anything at all. Like, we can fine tune when we use meter, when we turtle him out, when to rush, etc. But at the end of the day, the match will always suck if we have to take all these huge risks jumping around like mad men trying to get some damage, while he can just mb lightning and use trait all day.

Riyo

Noob
I think that is going to be the key to this matchup honestly, learning to jump it on reaction (according to a lot of people you can, so I will have to practice i guess) and punishing. I am trying to think of a better overall game plan though, because right now honestly all we have is jumping at him. And with your match we can see that even if you hit a few jump ins, he can anti air or air to air you just once and the match can be pretty much over. There has to be more we can do, but I cant think of anything at all.
We just got to continue to explore this match up and analyze matchups. We just need to explore our options more and see what we can do. With a backdash and movement speed like BA, we have to chase all day (unless we have a lifelead).

HGTV Soapboxfan

"Always a Pleasure"
We just got to continue to explore this match up and analyze matchups. We just need to explore our options more and see what we can do. With a backdash and movement speed like BA, we have to chase all day (unless we have a lifelead).
Yeah. Sadly, we don't exactly have a lot of help here haha. Did you talk to Tom at all about anything? I never get to see him in person (hopefully I will at Marlboro this coming week) so I never really get to ask him for help.

Riyo

Noob
Yeah. Sadly, we don't exactly have a lot of help here haha. Did you talk to Tom at all about anything? I never get to see him in person (hopefully I will at Marlboro this coming week) so I never really get to ask him for help.
Basically everything you guys are saying, he already told me. As well as, trading chip with FTD and lightning when you have the lifelead. Since he gets to play with Rico alot, I'm sure he knows the matchup alot more than I do. I usually have that Street Fighter mentality of blocking low, so I get hit by b23/ex divekick. That's my own faults that I have to fix.

HGTV Soapboxfan

"Always a Pleasure"
Basically everything you guys are saying, he already told me. As well as, trading chip with FTD and lightning when you have the lifelead. Since he gets to play with Rico alot, I'm sure he knows the matchup alot more than I do. I usually have that Street Fighter mentality of blocking low, so I get hit by b23/ex divekick. That's my own faults that I have to fix.
I do the same thing (although I am not a street fighter player lol) so yeah. I am gonna try and come up with some ways to blow up that instant ex dive kick.

Riyo

Noob
I do the same thing (although I am not a street fighter player lol) so yeah. I am gonna try and come up with some ways to blow up that instant ex dive kick.
To be honest, just yesterday was like the first time I ever blew up a EX divekick with d2. IDK why I find a hard time doing that, it feels so reactionary.

HGTV Soapboxfan

"Always a Pleasure"
To be honest, just yesterday was like the first time I ever blew up a EX divekick with d2. IDK why I find a hard time doing that, it feels so reactionary.
If you are looking for it, you probably could do that actually. Hmmm..... I will have to try to implement this when I play Ozzyguitar tonight.

Shawi

Noob
What are your guys' thoughts on the WW matchup? She can jump around the screen all day with the threat of the tiara, the superman air dash, air dash, or the dive, which can be mb for combo. I am so lost as to how to control the match as WW is so dominant in the air. I simply have to end up reading a superman air dash and use mb b3. My trait is also kinda useless as the spin instant launches.

Name v.5.0

Iowa's Finest.
What are your guys' thoughts on the WW matchup? She can jump around the screen all day with the threat of the tiara, the superman air dash, air dash, or the dive, which can be mb for combo. I am so lost as to how to control the match as WW is so dominant in the air. I simply have to end up reading a superman air dash and use mb b3. My trait is also kinda useless as the spin instant launches.

Trait is basically worthless, but AM's normals are a ton better. If she goes to the air I mash D2. Usually stops her box jumping bullshit but you gotta watch out for whiff punishes. Once you knock her down you just need to draw out her lasso spin and punish it. When she respects that you get free oki pressure. Its a total 5/5 until you get caught in the corner. That's where you go to die.

Dizzy

False Information Police Officer
Premium Supporter
NetherRealm Studios
Trait is basically worthless, but AM's normals are a ton better. If she goes to the air I mash D2. Usually stops her box jumping bullshit but you gotta watch out for whiff punishes. Once you knock her down you just need to draw out her lasso spin and punish it. When she respects that you get free oki pressure. Its a total 5/5 until you get caught in the corner. That's where you go to die.
Actually trait is a massive game-changer in this MU. If you trait and stand block, she can't do anything that hurts when she does get that knockdown. The only options she has to actually hit you is sweep and throw. Pre-emptive trait is your friend when you get knocked down in this and many other MUs.

Name v.5.0

Iowa's Finest.
Actually trait is a massive game-changer in this MU. If you trait and stand block, she can't do anything that hurts when she does get that knockdown. The only options she has to actually hit you is sweep and throw. Pre-emptive trait is your friend when you get knocked down in this and many other MUs.

I don't know why I never thought of this. Brilliant dude.

Shawi

Noob
Genius!

How do you guys feel about the Sinestro match-up? I have a friend who mains him and pretty much runs a train on my Aquaman. He can pretty much negate my trait and keep me out most of the match. Any tips?

YOMI DJT

LIn Kuei Champion
How do you guys feel about the Sinestro match-up? I have a friend who mains him and pretty much runs a train on my Aquaman. He can pretty much negate my trait and keep me out most of the match. Any tips?
Aqua destroys sinestro.
That is sinestro's worst mu.

Aqua doesnt have to get in on nestro to beat him.
Aqua out chips him with trident.
sinestro is so negative on all his zoning tools that aqua can get a ground trident out everytime he blocks sinestro little ball or boulder etc.
Once you learn the mu, your friend will hate that mu.

Sinestro has to try and get in on aqua.
Aqua has more dmg footsies inside game.
Sinestro really doesnt have alot of options in that mu.
Aqua beats nestro everywhere on the screen.
Im no aqua main but mine is prettt decent because my fundamentals.