What's new

Match-up Discussion Aquaman Matchup Discussion

Dizzy

False Information Police Officer
Premium Supporter
NetherRealm Studios
HGTV Soapboxfan

Before KF nerfs I believe Aquaman lost this match.

I think now Aquaman vs KF is either 5-5 or slightly in Aquamans favor. He has a pretty good post-blocked slide guessing game. Do b12 instantly to beat everything except backdash. Do delayed b12 to beat backdash while still beating parry. If you have trouble timing delayed b12 you can use instant 22 xx scoop (first hit whiffs, second hit punishes the backdash) which has the same timing as instant b12 so your muscle memory is the same for both options. However, 22 both parryable and still loses to blocked slide into d1 slide, so it is a worse option that delayed b12. The flip side though, is you can block confirm this and do 223, which is only -1 and has some decent pushback. You can set up some d1 whiff punish situations which is nice.

Also interactables have a big effect on this match. Some stages feel like they are 7-3 in Aquamans favor IMO.

HGTV Soapboxfan

"Always a Pleasure"
Okay, looks like i have found the same stuff as you, especially the delayed b12. I feel like all kf players do is slide and I get my block string or combo, then they slide again. It's dumb. If I'm sitting there waiting for the slide what else should I be looking out for? She can't really dash at me because then I just b12 , she can't go to the air because of d2, she seems to be stuck walking forward, trying to get into fwd3 range. There has to be something I'm missing.

HGTV Soapboxfan

"Always a Pleasure"
Remember when I said Black Adam was even? I am starting to think its heavy Black Adam favor. I now play this match with Ozzyguitar all the time and its just not an easy match. Even when you manage to get a health lead, those trait throws and such make it so hard to keep.​

Bildslash

Goro Lives 
Have you seen my video?
I did. The video is informative but still missed a few things (understandable since it's 2 months old).

Right now, one option not discussed is NW's safe 50/50 into combo when using Staff: 1 f1 (low) / 1 f2 (overhead). If the frame data is correct, you can't react to the 50/50 and can't punish him for guessing right. Whereas Aquaman has to use his trait in order to make his 50/50 safe.

Escrima is also a problem thanks to Wingding and J3. When NW has meter you can't punish or try to start pressure after Wingding in fear of the delay MB. Then, trying to air-to-air NW is pretty complicated since NW can do J3 xx Wingding (even on whiff); J3 is 7 frames and hard to beat even with AM's J1.

Though I will keep in mind the range-distance when NW uses Staff.

I did. The video is informative but still missed a few things (understandable since it's 2 months old).

Right now, one option not discussed is NW's safe 50/50 into combo when using Staff: 1 f1 (low) / 1 f2 (overhead). If the frame data is correct, you can't react to the 50/50 and can't punish him for guessing right. Whereas Aquaman has to use his trait in order to make his 50/50 safe.

Escrima is also a problem thanks to Wingding and J3. When NW has meter you can't punish or try to start pressure after Wingding in fear of the delay MB. Then, trying to air-to-air NW is pretty complicated since NW can do J3 xx Wingding (even on whiff); J3 is 7 frames and hard to beat even with AM's J1.

Though I will keep in mind the range-distance when NW uses Staff.
1. You dont need trait to make AM 50/50 safe (if youre refering to f1 x b12 and f13) you can hit confirm 3 with a raw FTD

2. Watershield helps alot vs wingdings free dash out punish if youre close enough

Bildslash

Goro Lives 
1. You dont need trait to make AM 50/50 safe (if youre refering to f1 x b12 and f13) you can hit confirm 3 with a raw FTD

2. Watershield helps alot vs wingdings free dash out punish if youre close enough
What about B2 and Scoop? Those are his ranged 50/50 options.

The problem with Watershield is that it has to be more on read than on reaction because of it's startup.

HGTV Soapboxfan

"Always a Pleasure"
Also, I believe NW 1f1 and 1f2 is a 6 frame fuzzy, if you block low then high you can block both. This is pretty hard, but with practice I believe it can be done. To beat this nightiwng can 1d3, which will hit low and its only 1 frame apart from 1f2, but if you see that and block, it is full combo punish.

Bildslash

Goro Lives 
Also, I believe NW 1f1 and 1f2 is a 6 frame fuzzy, if you block low then high you can block both. This is pretty hard, but with practice I believe it can be done. To beat this nightiwng can 1d3, which will hit low and its only 1 frame apart from 1f2, but if you see that and block, it is full combo punish.
I'll hit the lab to test this.

FrozenG3oX

<3 gimmicks
If you can do this, you should play street fighter at higfh level, man...

HGTV Soapboxfan

"Always a Pleasure"
If you can do this, you should play street fighter at higfh level, man...
To be fair, I play this matchup a lot offline. It's really hard though. But.... there's something about street fighter that I just don't click with, idk what it is. I may try when ultra comes out. But thanks haha

HGTV Soapboxfan

"Always a Pleasure"
Thanks! Your one of the few aquaman players I actually value the opinion of.
Thank you. That means a lot actually. I put a lot of work into it. Unfortunately every tournament I try to attend gets messed up so I haven't gotten much reward yet. But we'll see.

Espio

Kokomo
Could I get some thoughts on Hawkgirl versus Aquaman and Martian Manhunter versus Aquaman?

Curious to see what the Aquaman community thinks about these two match ups.

HGTV Soapboxfan

"Always a Pleasure"
Could I get some thoughts on Hawkgirl versus Aquaman and Martian Manhunter versus Aquaman?

Curious to see what the Aquaman community thinks about these two match ups.
I currently have them both at even. Hawkgirl seems very momentum based, but they both can somewhat fight each other's bullshit. Mmh I just don't know yet but when I played it I wasn't having any problems, I just played my game, but trait seemed like a bitch. My experience in these matches are very brief and comes from Swifttomhanks, who plays both of these characters