What's new

Match-up Discussion Aquaman Matchup Discussion

Espio

Kokomo
I currently have them both at even. Hawkgirl seems very momentum based, but they both can somewhat fight each other's bullshit. Mmh I just don't know yet but when I played it I wasn't having any problems, I just played my game, but trait seemed like a bitch. My experience in these matches are very brief and comes from Swifttomhanks, who plays both of these characters

Yeah, I also have Hawkgirl versus Aquaman as 5-5, I've played quite a few and they both have really solid options for negating and frustrating each other tool wise. It's such an incredibly lame match up ugh lol.

Thanks for you feedback :). I have very limited experience versus Aquaman with Martian Manhunter so I'm not quite sure how to approach him, but I agree that Aquaman seems to be able to generally play his game well against him.

HGTV Soapboxfan

"Always a Pleasure"
Yeah, I also have Hawkgirl versus Aquaman as 5-5, I've played quite a few and they both have really solid options for negating and frustrating each other tool wise. It's such an incredibly lame match up ugh lol.

Thanks for you feedback :). I have very limited experience versus Aquaman with Martian Manhunter so I'm not quite sure how to approach him, but I agree that Aquaman seems to be able to generally play his game well against him.
I should be able to give more feedback in a few weeks, going to casuals where I will be able to play these matches more

Name v.5.0

Iowa's Finest.
I'm just updating my current worst matchups.

Black Adam
Nightwing
Hawkgirl
Green Lantern
Superman

These are the 5 I have most trouble with. I'm not saying they are "bad" matchups per say, but they are his harder matches in my opinion. I would go as far as to say the Black Adam and Nightwing matches are possibly 4.5-5.5

Thoughts?

HGTV Soapboxfan

"Always a Pleasure"
I'm just updating my current worst matchups.

Black Adam
Nightwing
Hawkgirl
Green Lantern
Superman

These are the 5 I have most trouble with. I'm not saying they are "bad" matchups per say, but they are his harder matches in my opinion. I would go as far as to say the Black Adam and Nightwing matches are possibly 4.5-5.5

Thoughts?
Black Adam is legit a bad matchup. I said 5 5 before but now I play against the character at a high level all the time and it is NOT a fun match. I have it as a possible 3-7. Nightwing is even in my opinion, I play it a lot offline so maybe I can help. Hawkgirl I have at even but that bitch is crazy lol. Also idk if you are an online player but she is a lot harder to fight online so that could be your problem. You need a lot of exp in this matchup. Green lantern I have at 4-6, air rockets all day. And superman is a losing match imo too, 4-6. The only other matchup that could be kind of tough imo is Wonder Woman, but I have that as even right now.

Name v.5.0

Iowa's Finest.
Black Adam is legit a bad matchup. I said 5 5 before but now I play against the character at a high level all the time and it is NOT a fun match. I have it as a possible 3-7. Nightwing is even in my opinion, I play it a lot offline so maybe I can help. Hawkgirl I have at even but that bitch is crazy lol. Also idk if you are an online player but she is a lot harder to fight online so that could be your problem. You need a lot of exp in this matchup. Green lantern I have at 4-6, air rockets all day. And superman is a losing match imo too, 4-6. The only other matchup that could be kind of tough imo is Wonder Woman, but I have that as even right now.

I play online, but Hawkgirl is all about the Yolo. I play a high level one every now and then...I never use meter in combos anymore, I mostly save it for MBB3.

I dont have too many issues against WW, but I dont play against her at a higher level. She seems to lack to ability to punish AM hard.

Name v.5.0

Iowa's Finest.
Fuck, I totally forgot. I really think Aquaman gets bodied by a turtling Raven. She can punish his movement so well. You cant punish her Soul Squeeze or Fireball and if you throw out FTD, you'll be punished for it.

Your only hope is to get an early life lead and then keep her within range of your trident attacks. Aquaman's movement and lack of safety make this a 4-6 in my opinion.

If they are feeling generous, Blind_Man or maybe @Mr. Mileena might be able to give pointers on this matchup.

Blind_Ducky

Princess of the Sisterhood
Fuck, I totally forgot. I really think Aquaman gets bodied by a turtling Raven. She can punish his movement so well. You cant punish her Soul Squeeze or Fireball and if you throw out FTD, you'll be punished for it.

Your only hope is to get an early life lead and then keep her within range of your trident attacks. Aquaman's movement and lack of safety make this a 4-6 in my opinion.

If they are feeling generous, Blind_Man or maybe @Mr. Mileena might be able to give pointers on this matchup.
6-4 aquaman.

HGTV Soapboxfan

"Always a Pleasure"
You got any tips against BA? I have a terrible time against BA as well.
Don't do what Brady does lol. Trading all day is going to get you nowhere. The only time I would do that is if Black Adam has no meter, because you can then back dash the lightning reversal after FTD and punish with another FTD, or you have a huge life lead and he has to come to you.

Basically my goal in this match is to walk black adam down and get a life lead. This is one of the few matches I would suggest using Aquamans 50 50 games in, because Black Adam can compete with your chip damage with mb lightning that he has all the time, and trait grabs and block strings and such. Therefore, I would hold off on MB trident rush for the most part unless you already have opened up a life lead, and instead save your meter for armor (against instant air divekick and d1 lightning hands) and pushblock (trait is a bitch).

When you get in, I would suggest using just b1 some. It gives you a little bit of space, and you can create some punish situations off of it. Black Adam has a great d1 and a great backdash. So after b1, they will want to use one of these options. If they try to d1, you can walk back and whiff punish for a full combo with b12. If they try to back dash you can FTD and mb for full combo. If they are willing to just block you can b1 again and reset the situation, b12 trident rush, move in for some 50 50s, etc. I use this against a lot of characters, but especially ones that it is essential to open up for some damage like Black Adam.

Other general stuff is to air to air his Dive kick, jump over lightning (gives you a free FTD punish) and try your hardest to get into range where you can play footsies with him. It is the one range you really win this match since b1 is faster than b2. Be patient, but dont be afraid to take risks, like I said, you need to open him up, and you arent going to do that with b12 rush and FTD all day.

Once you knock Black Adam down, you have an awesome situation. Off of Fwd 2 1+3 FTD will beat all of his wakeups except for Cage, which will whiff, creating a neutral situation. If he tries this, you do a delayed jump in to punish for a combo and reset the situation. If he just blocks you can come in with 50 50s or a blockstring. This is how you are going to get big damage, and unfortunately, you have to guess right here quite a few times, because you are going to take a lot of unavoidable chip in this match.

Thats pretty much all I have for the general matchup. If there is something specific that is getting you, I can probably help. Good luck!

Name v.5.0

Iowa's Finest.
You got any tips against BA? I have a terrible time against BA as well.

1. First off, dont try to punish a blocked dive kick. Good BA players will never hit you high enough to let you punish it. If he reads your attempt to punish he can do another quick dive kick into full combo. You pretty much have to either take the block, or read that he's going to do it and punish with a J2 or MBB3. The J2 will knock him out of the dive kick 99% of the time.

2. Never try to use Watershield against him. It's worthless in this matchup.

3. When you're stuck in a block string always watch for his hand to go up so you can block the low lightning attack. They say he has no low attacks so dont worry about blocking low. It's bullshit...You'll eat like 20% from chip and the hit from lightning. Always focus on that Lightning attack.

4. Forward dash his jump in attacks. You have to get used to the range, but once you learn it you can dash forward and avoid the most nasty cross up J2 in the game. You cant exactly punish it, but once you take it away the matchup gets a bit easier.

5. Never turtle him. He's more dangerous at a distance than you are and he can get in on you in no time. You HAVE to set the pace of the match. Dont let up.

I play a VERY good BA player offline and this is how I've learned to beat him. You gotta make the right reads and it wont always go your way, but this is how i deal with it and he's gotten easier to beat even though I probably still lose more than I win.

HGTV Soapboxfan

"Always a Pleasure"
1. First off, dont try to punish a blocked dive kick. Good BA players will never hit you high enough to let you punish it. If he reads your attempt to punish he can do another quick dive kick into full combo. You pretty much have to either take the block, or read that he's going to do it and punish with a J2 or MBB3. The J2 will knock him out of the dive kick 99% of the time.

3. When you're stuck in a block string always watch for his hand to go up so you can block the low lightning attack. They say he has no low attacks so dont worry about blocking low. It's bullshit...You'll eat like 20% from chip and the hit from lightning. Always focus on that Lightning attack.

4. Forward dash his jump in attacks. You have to get used to the range, but once you learn it you can dash forward and avoid the most nasty cross up J2 in the game. You cant exactly punish it, but once you take it away the matchup gets a bit easier.

5. Never turtle him. He's more dangerous at a distance than you are and he can get in on you in no time. You HAVE to set the pace of the match. Dont let up.

I play a VERY good BA player offline and this is how I've learned to beat him. You gotta make the right reads and it wont always go your way, but this is how i deal with it and he's gotten easier to beat even though I probably still lose more than I win.
I am pretty sure dive kick is punishable unless it literally hits your toes. I will check. And if he is going to jump at you.... d2? Unless you are talking about a specific set up or something.

HGTV Soapboxfan

"Always a Pleasure"
I play online, but Hawkgirl is all about the Yolo. I play a high level one every now and then...I never use meter in combos anymore, I mostly save it for MBB3.

I dont have too many issues against WW, but I dont play against her at a higher level. She seems to lack to ability to punish AM hard.
I play Foxy some, she can control space against him with b23 which is huge, and her corner game is absurd. It may be even though.

Name v.5.0

Iowa's Finest.
I am pretty sure dive kick is punishable unless it literally hits your toes. I will check. And if he is going to jump at you.... d2? Unless you are talking about a specific set up or something.

It's situational...A good BA wont just jump in on you. He'll do it after he's knocked you down. Your D2 wont always come out in time and your wake up whiff, but I've had more success on forward dashing out of trouble. Better than getting crossed up for 40+

HGTV Soapboxfan

"Always a Pleasure"
It's situational...A good BA wont just jump in on you. He'll do it after he's knocked you down. Your D2 wont always come out in time and your wake up whiff, but I've had more success on forward dashing out of trouble. Better than getting crossed up for 40+
Do you know the knockdown setup? Let me lab it up. I figured it was because yeah, black adam has no reason to just regular jump at you.

Name v.5.0

Iowa's Finest.
Do you know the knockdown setup? Let me lab it up. I figured it was because yeah, black adam has no reason to just regular jump at you.

I dont know how the guy I play sets it up. He's a douche and wont tell me any of his strategy. I think it's about spacing, but if I remember right he'll do it of a MB Lightning attack and sometimes a random D3.

Riyo

Noob
Don't do what Brady does lol. Trading all day is going to get you nowhere. The only time I would do that is if Black Adam has no meter, because you can then back dash the lightning reversal after FTD and punish with another FTD, or you have a huge life lead and he has to come to you.

Basically my goal in this match is to walk black adam down and get a life lead. This is one of the few matches I would suggest using Aquamans 50 50 games in, because Black Adam can compete with your chip damage with mb lightning that he has all the time, and trait grabs and block strings and such. Therefore, I would hold off on MB trident rush for the most part unless you already have opened up a life lead, and instead save your meter for armor (against instant air divekick and d1 lightning hands) and pushblock (trait is a bitch).

When you get in, I would suggest using just b1 some. It gives you a little bit of space, and you can create some punish situations off of it. Black Adam has a great d1 and a great backdash. So after b1, they will want to use one of these options. If they try to d1, you can walk back and whiff punish for a full combo with b12. If they try to back dash you can FTD and mb for full combo. If they are willing to just block you can b1 again and reset the situation, b12 trident rush, move in for some 50 50s, etc. I use this against a lot of characters, but especially ones that it is essential to open up for some damage like Black Adam.

Other general stuff is to air to air his Dive kick, jump over lightning (gives you a free FTD punish) and try your hardest to get into range where you can play footsies with him. It is the one range you really win this match since b1 is faster than b2. Be patient, but dont be afraid to take risks, like I said, you need to open him up, and you arent going to do that with b12 rush and FTD all day.

Once you knock Black Adam down, you have an awesome situation. Off of Fwd 2 1+3 FTD will beat all of his wakeups except for Cage, which will whiff, creating a neutral situation. If he tries this, you do a delayed jump in to punish for a combo and reset the situation. If he just blocks you can come in with 50 50s or a blockstring. This is how you are going to get big damage, and unfortunately, you have to guess right here quite a few times, because you are going to take a lot of unavoidable chip in this match.

Thats pretty much all I have for the general matchup. If there is something specific that is getting you, I can probably help. Good luck!

Thanks for the advice guys! I'll try to learn this and apply it to my gameplan!

Name v.5.0

Iowa's Finest.
I'm to lazy / don't have time at the moment to explain so look through the video pig and I made. It's in there somewhere.

It's at 59:04 for those that want to hear what Blind_Man says.

My thoughts: I get why I thought that I couldn't move in. Online bullshit has tricked me into believing that I couldn't dash in. That'll teach me not to trust online. Fuck...