What's new

Video/Tutorial Aquaman is not as safe as you think -- Defending against Aquaman

RiBBz22

TYM's Confirmed Prophet/Time-Traveler
Stop fooling the community.

Who the hell uses moves like b+1,2,3?

b+1,2 is all you need. 9F low attack with the range of a sweep. If b+1,2 is blocked, cancel into d,f+1, which creates push back and is 100% safe. It also builds a lot of meter.

If b+1,2 connects, hit confirm into EX d,b+2. Launch with 2,2 xx d,b+1. Follow up with 2,2,3, which creates an un-techable knock down.

The trait allows him to block guaranteed grounded combos, so you cannot even get punished sometimes.

His uppercut is the only one that has a 7F start up, I believe.

This character has full footsie control.

Aquaman is almost as dumb as Killer Frost.
If b12 connects people should be hit confirming into regular db2, then they can finish the combo with b12 db1 22 db2 MB 223 for more damage.

TimTim

Don't Hate
If b12 connects people should be hit confirming into regular db2, then they can finish the combo with b12 db1 22 db2 MB 223 for more damage.
Really? I thought that b12 db2 b12 db2 mb 22 db1 f.2 1+3 is more damaging it's 40. How much is yours?

RiBBz22

TYM's Confirmed Prophet/Time-Traveler
Well I think ending in 223 or f2 1+3 does roughly the same damage, but I like the 223 ender just because of the spacing it leaves you at plus it is not techable. It leaves you in a perfect spot to b1 or b2 and combo.

Ben Reed

Marine Biologist
Neither 223 or f2 1+3 are techable, but neither are particularly advantageous knockdowns, either, due to Aquaman's recovery relative to the knockdown time. 223 is a little less advantageous than f2 1+3. But really, the ender question is mostly about what SIDE you want them on when they're waking up, because you can't really do much more than bait against characters with GOOD wakeups (i.e. Killer Frost).

HGTV Soapboxfan

"Always a Pleasure"
Well I think ending in 223 or f2 1+3 does roughly the same damage, but I like the 223 ender just because of the spacing it leaves you at plus it is not techable. It leaves you in a perfect spot to b1 or b2 and combo.
I believe fwd2 1+2 is the better ender. Tom made a video showing why. Although it is preference in the end.

I believe fwd2 1+2 is the better ender. Tom made a video showing why. Although it is preference in the end.

I mix it up with DB2 depending on the character. For example, against a Green Lantern, I always end with DB2 as it gives me perfect spacing for an air mixup. Sounds suicidal but it is the only real way to continue pressure against a Lantern after knockdown because Lantern's Might is such a good wakeup attack. But the J3 will float just over the wake up Lantern's Might and will leave the Lantern open for punishment (plus it will cross them up and sometimes causes unintended wiffs).

That, and it allows me to set up a bunch of pressure strings and Green Lantern really does poorly against a lot of pressure. Against Lantern up Close I can set up Frame Traps and if close enough (like right on his grill), jump directly over his head to draw a wiffed Lantern's Might or accidental cross up input.

But yeah I do like the F1+2 as an ender against some of the cast, but there are some characters I feel DB2 is the better option, those being Green Lantern and Deathstroke especially as I don't want to give either breathing room once I get in.

M.D.

Spammer. Crouch walk hater.
So, defending against Aquaman. What can I do against a trident rush (except using superman/green lantern) ?

My friend just blocks some of my stuff, then d1 rush while he dashes in me so no hit whiffs. Even if the movelist says -22 or something, I can't touch him at all, he is able to block. So I block it, wait for a while until he checks me with b2 or db1, then try to get in again, just to get hit by a d1 in rush again. And repeat.

Tried with Bane, Doomsday, Sinestro, Grundy, but I couldn't reach him even with 1's. He is able to block.

trident rush is right now completely safe, i tested it on corp charge reversal, after the latest patch it cant punish it. so you can only eat the chip, and press something with a fast startup after that maybe, to get some momentum. not sure how negative he is after rush, gotta check it on superman's super

M.D.

Spammer. Crouch walk hater.
Just came from an offline gathering, my aquaman friend got this tactic perfected, he doesn't even combo up close, hit or block, he does trident rush, and it freakin' works wonders. We couldn't touch him up close. We had to pick zoning chars like GL / Raven to beat him.

Up close after he blocked anything -> d1 into trident rush dashing into the opponent seemed like a very viable and strong tactic. Plus the chip damage is insane.

Can't imagine what one could do against this up close. Needless to say it's very annoying.

Later edit:

Ran a test and beat everyone in my group using only d1->stabs, regardless if they blocked or not. The result? Three of my friends want to sell their game.

EGP Wonder_Chef

Official Quan Chi Nerf Demander™
Just came from an offline gathering, my aquaman friend got this tactic perfected, he doesn't even combo up close, hit or block, he does trident rush, and it freakin' works wonders. We couldn't touch him up close. We had to pick zoning chars like GL / Raven to beat him.

Up close after he blocked anything -> d1 into trident rush dashing into the opponent seemed like a very viable and strong tactic. Plus the chip damage is insane.

Can't imagine what one could do against this up close. Needless to say it's very annoying.

Later edit:

Ran a test and beat everyone in my group using only d1->stabs, regardless if they blocked or not. The result? Three of my friends want to sell their game.
lol why would you post this in a thread where there are THREE examples of how to punish stabs...

EGP Wonder_Chef

Official Quan Chi Nerf Demander™
trident rush is right now completely safe, i tested it on corp charge reversal, after the latest patch it cant punish it. so you can only eat the chip, and press something with a fast startup after that maybe, to get some momentum. not sure how negative he is after rush, gotta check it on superman's super
Corp Charge doesn't punish it for some reason.

You can still punish it with Flash DB3, Superman F2, Superman Super, and Shazam DBF1 (sort of)

CrimsonShadow

Administrator and Community Engineer
Administrator
Stop fooling the community.

Who the hell uses moves like b+1,2,3?

b+1,2 is all you need. 9F low attack with the range of a sweep. If b+1,2 is blocked, cancel into d,f+1, which creates push back and is 100% safe. It also builds a lot of meter.

If b+1,2 connects, hit confirm into EX d,b+2. Launch with 2,2 xx d,b+1. Follow up with 2,2,3, which creates an un-techable knock down.

The trait allows him to block guaranteed grounded combos, so you cannot even get punished sometimes.

His uppercut is the only one that has a 7F start up, I believe.

This character has full footsie control.

Aquaman is almost as dumb as Killer Frost.
I would like to give @General M2Dave an award for this post. *April 20th, 2013.

Dear Dave, although you somtimes espouse some of the wackiest opinions known to man, you are hereby presented with this special commendation for being unusually clairvoyant, accurate, and ahead of the game.

We salute you.

xInfra Deadx

Gimmick stolen by Jordan Peele
I would like to give @General M2Dave an award for this post. *April 20th, 2013.

Dear Dave, although you somtimes espouse some of the wackiest opinions known to man, you are hereby presented with this special commendation for being unusually clairvoyant, accurate, and ahead of the game.

We salute you.
That last statement though...on Killer Frost...needs no explanation.