What's new

Video/Tutorial Aquaman is not as safe as you think -- Defending against Aquaman

HGTV Soapboxfan

"Always a Pleasure"
I'm not being a downplayer. Against chars like Raven, Deathstroke, and Flash he can't zone safely at all. That means he has to rush down too, but that isn't safe either.

He definitely beats a lot of characters, but when you have to play such a different game against so many of the cast, I feel like it's hard to say that he's top. Especially when there are characters like Superman and Nightwing are around.
I think water shield will be our answer to those characters.

shaowebb

Get your guns on. Sheriff is back.
I like this. I need to set this up against Green Arrow and just count the wakeup options. BTW I love how good Lex and Flash's wakeup games are on folks. Great dash moves.

Dizzy

False Information Police Officer
Premium Supporter
NetherRealm Studios
I'm not being a downplayer. Against chars like Raven, Deathstroke, and Flash he can't zone safely at all. That means he has to rush down too, but that isn't safe either.

He definitely beats a lot of characters, but when you have to play such a different game against so many of the cast, I feel like it's hard to say that he's top. Especially when there are characters like Superman and Nightwing are around.
I don't know how Flash beats aquaman...he can't use EX lightning kick whenever you have trait because its punishable on block if you interrupt it with your trait. His overhead f2 he can only get 15% safely and that doesn't even lead into anything. His overhead-low mixup sucks against aquaman. Any time you block lightning kick you get a free 20% chip or whatever string into ex rush does lol. His trait turns the risk reward of his 50/50 in aquamans favor

M2Dave

Zoning Master
Stop fooling the community.

Who the hell uses moves like b+1,2,3?

b+1,2 is all you need. 9F low attack with the range of a sweep. If b+1,2 is blocked, cancel into d,f+1, which creates push back and is 100% safe. It also builds a lot of meter.

If b+1,2 connects, hit confirm into EX d,b+2. Launch with 2,2 xx d,b+1. Follow up with 2,2,3, which creates an un-techable knock down.

The trait allows him to block guaranteed grounded combos, so you cannot even get punished sometimes.

His uppercut is the only one that has a 7F start up, I believe.

This character has full footsie control.

Aquaman is almost as dumb as Killer Frost.

EGP Wonder_Chef

Official Quan Chi Nerf Demander™
I don't know how Flash beats aquaman...he can't use EX lightning kick whenever you have trait because its punishable on block if you interrupt it with your trait. His overhead f2 he can only get 15% safely and that doesn't even lead into anything. His overhead-low mixup sucks against aquaman. Any time you block lightning kick you get a free 20% chip or whatever string into ex rush does lol. His trait turns the risk reward of his 50/50 in aquamans favor
The MB Kick isn't unsafe if you can block it through the trait.

All it means is that Flash has to bait the trait out or deal smaller amounts of damage.

EGP Wonder_Chef

b+1,2 is all you need. 9F low attack with the range of a sweep. If b+1,2 is blocked, cancel into d,f+1, which creates push back and is 100% safe. It also builds a lot of meter.
Did you say really this in a thread literally showing a punish for DB1 and then talking about another punish for it...?

EGP Wonder_Chef

Also if Aquaman is going to wait until Flash starts MB Kick to use his trait, Flash can hitconfirm into that MB Ground Pound which of course launches.

Dizzy

Premium Supporter
NetherRealm Studios
The MB Kick isn't unsafe if you can block it through the trait.

All it means is that Flash has to bait the trait out or deal smaller amounts of damage.
Yeah, you can. You can punish with d1 into special. I re-tested it just right now to make sure.

Dizzy

Premium Supporter
NetherRealm Studios
Also if Aquaman is going to wait until Flash starts MB Kick to use his trait, Flash can hitconfirm into that MB Ground Pound which of course launches.
His f2 overhead does not combo into sonic pound.

trustinme

xbl-OBS trustinme
im so sad,i said i was maining aqua 2 months ago,he looks great and i havent had time to play the game once yet:(

Dizzy

Premium Supporter
NetherRealm Studios
LEGEND

F21 is punishable by most characters, including aquaman. Once you block F2, move to crouch and the last hit of F21 is a high. You then get a free d1 special (or b12 special if you want) punish

EGP Wonder_Chef

Yeah, you can. You can punish with d1 into special. I re-tested it just right now to make sure.
Okay you're right, I mistimed it. It's still I think a 1 frame punish that's unsafe on block for Aquaman.

His f2 overhead does not combo into sonic pound.
Yeah but you can do F21 xx Sonic Pound. So they either activate the trait early and flash can cancel it with 3 which is really plus if I remember correctly, or they wait for the MB Kick and he can instead hitconfirm into the MB Ground Pound. Still not a good situation for Aquaman.

M2Dave

Zoning Master
Did you say really this in a thread literally showing a punish for DB1 and then talking about another punish for it...?
Who is talking about d,b+1?

b+1,2 xx d,f+1 is safe on block versus everyone but Superman's super move, which is relevant because his super move has like a 1F of start up and punishes everything anyway.

EGP Wonder_Chef

Who is talking about d,b+1?

b+1,2 xx d,f+1 is safe on block versus everyone but Superman's super move, which is relevant because his super move has like a 1F of start up and punishes everything anyway.
oops typo I meant DF1

dude did you look at the videos or read the thread?

Superman full combo punishes DF1 with F23 on block.

Flash punishes it with headbutt.

Dizzy

Premium Supporter
NetherRealm Studios
Okay you're right, I mistimed it. It's still I think a 1 frame punish that's unsafe on block for Aquaman.

Yeah but you can do F21 xx Sonic Pound. So they either activate the trait early and flash can cancel it with 3 which is really plus if I remember correctly, or they wait for the MB Kick and he can instead hitconfirm into the MB Ground Pound. Still not a good situation for Aquaman.
F21 is unusable as flash against anyone except very large hitbox chars once your opponents begin blocking it correctly.

LEGEND

YES!
LEGEND

F21 is punishable by most characters, including aquaman. Once you block F2, move to crouch and the last hit of F21 is a high. You then get a free d1 special (or b12 special if you want) punish
My counter to this currently in to F2-RMS but i have no idea how legitimate of a strategy it is with no Cancel adv. data, don't even know if a can get a MB B3 off before i get D1ed

Also F2-sonic pound is an option to make people not low block, but doesn't do much damage

EGP Wonder_Chef

F21 is unusable as flash against anyone except very large hitbox chars once your opponents begin blocking it correctly.
Well then he just doesn't use that option. Like I said he can still hitconfirm strings into slightly less damage using ground pound. Aquaman definitely loses a LOT more in this matchup than Aquaman does.

M2Dave

Zoning Master
oops typo I meant DF1

dude did you look at the videos or read the thread?

Superman full combo punishes DF1 with F23 on block.

Flash punishes it with headbutt.
Odd that the last hit of the trident rush whiffs on Superman, so he can punish. I was wrong about that one. b+1,2 is still safe. How fast is Superman's f+2?

The Flash cannot punish. I just re-tested.

Green Lantern cannot punish either.