What's new

Video/Tutorial Aquaman is not as safe as you think -- Defending against Aquaman

EGP Wonder_Chef

Official Quan Chi Nerf Demander™
Odd that the last hit of the trident rush whiffs on Superman, so he can punish. I was wrong about that one. b+1,2 is still safe. How fast is Superman's f+2?

The Flash cannot punish. I just re-tested.

Green Lantern cannot punish either.
The flash punishes with DB3 I can do it every time.

Also Superman punishes even if the last hit hits.

And I didn't say anything about GL.

Superman F2 is 8 frames.

HGTV Soapboxfan

"Always a Pleasure"
Stop fooling the community.

Who the hell uses moves like b+1,2,3?

b+1,2 is all you need. 9F low attack with the range of a sweep. If b+1,2 is blocked, cancel into d,f+1, which creates push back and is 100% safe. It also builds a lot of meter.

If b+1,2 connects, hit confirm into EX d,b+2. Launch with 2,2 xx d,b+1. Follow up with 2,2,3, which creates an un-techable knock down.

The trait allows him to block guaranteed grounded combos, so you cannot even get punished sometimes.

His uppercut is the only one that has a 7F start up, I believe.

This character has full footsie control.

Aquaman is almost as dumb as Killer Frost.
I don't know about as dumb kf, but I agree with the rest of this. Between ground trident b12, and even trident throw (trades really well with other zoning tools, especially ones in the air) he seems to really control the pace of the match.

HGTV Soapboxfan

"Always a Pleasure"
Stop fooling the community.

Who the hell uses moves like b+1,2,3?

b+1,2 is all you need. 9F low attack with the range of a sweep. If b+1,2 is blocked, cancel into d,f+1, which creates push back and is 100% safe. It also builds a lot of meter.

If b+1,2 connects, hit confirm into EX d,b+2. Launch with 2,2 xx d,b+1. Follow up with 2,2,3, which creates an un-techable knock down.

The trait allows him to block guaranteed grounded combos, so you cannot even get punished sometimes.

His uppercut is the only one that has a 7F start up, I believe.

This character has full footsie control.

Aquaman is almost as dumb as Killer Frost.
I don't know about as dumb kf, but I agree with the rest of this. Between ground trident b12, and even trident throw (trades really well with other zoning tools, especially ones in the air) he seems to really control the pace of the match.

Konqrr

MK11 Kabal = MK9 Kitana
Good stuff Chef.

Seeing these videos, it makes me think that Raven will be top as the game evolves as she can punish anything unsafe from nearly anywhere lol

16 Bit

Mash d+1~Cat Claws
Premium Supporter
NetherRealm Studios
i just did it like 20 times in a row. . .and MB sonic pound is + on block

NVM, MB sonic pound creates a combo if it hits after F2 but the link doesn't combo, got it

You don't block the sonic pound to punish it. If you walk past it a bit he lands behind Aquaman then AM can blow him up.

LEGEND

YES!
You don't block the sonic pound to punish it. If you walk past it a bit he lands behind Aquaman then AM can blow him up.
i don't think this works, i'm doing Close Sonic Pound BTW, i see the gap but it doesn't look like there is any room to get out of the way, Aquaman barely has enough time to water shield

16 Bit

Mash d+1~Cat Claws
Premium Supporter
NetherRealm Studios
i don't think this works, i'm doing Close Sonic Pound BTW, i see the gap but it doesn't look like there is any room to get out of the way, Aquaman barely has enough time to water shield

If he does close you can dash forward then blow him up.

Either way, it doesn't combo.

LEGEND

YES!
If he does close you can dash forward then blow him up.

Either way, it doesn't combo.
this all seems like a huge pile of 50/50s to me

i am not convinced that you could reaction to Sonic pound every time without giving yourself up to further mix-ups

i'll agree its a less than optimum situation for the Flash but using F2 isn't death

16 Bit

Mash d+1~Cat Claws
Premium Supporter
NetherRealm Studios
this all seems like a huge pile of 50/50s to me

i am not convinced that you could reaction to Sonic pound every time without giving yourself up to further mix-ups

i'll agree its a less than optimum situation for the Flash but using F2 isn't death

Then play it safe and do nothing and he still can't combo you.

Dizzy

False Information Police Officer
Premium Supporter
NetherRealm Studios
All I'm saying is against flash its impossible for him to get anything off his overhead besides non MB lightning kick, without taking a major risk and I think its a pretty big deal for flash who's game is setting up his overhead/low

HGTV Soapboxfan

"Always a Pleasure"
All I'm saying is against flash its impossible for him to get anything off his overhead besides non MB lightning kick, without taking a major risk and I think its a pretty big deal for flash who's game is setting up his overhead/low
I played this matchup for a while tonight with HGTV DrFlash44 and you are correct. Trait blows everything up.

I tested this a long time ago. Imo not everyone can punish aqua man. With the few who can it just means yu have to make the correct read and not throw out stuff. No offense to aquaman player but I dont think it makes his positon as a character go down.

Btw this is in response to punish videos.

Fairlysadpanda

Really bad at fighting games.
The Flash cannot punish a blocked trident rush with his uppercut if Aquaman moves backwards during the trident... you can even make his reversal whiff entirely.

I can upload a video to demonstrate if anyone wants. You go something like back 1, 2, trident rush (2 hits) then backdash during the animation.

Vagrant

Noob
I like the effort chef, but why would any high level Aquaman just throw out FTD as a check? Thats not really what it's for.

and maybe im missing something but why not just cancel his strings into "SweetMotherOfFuckAquaman'sOnCocaine!-Stab" for the meter and a shitload of "burst chip"

If you throw out negative moves against chars with fast far reaching moves, obviously your gonna get blown up. But I don't think this invalidates the argument that he's VERY GOOD. Aquaman has sooooo much more to work with than the tools shown in the videos.

Not tryin to beat up on you dude, apreciate the videos.

JDM

Noob
I appreciate the video too, but yeah this is useless against a truly good aquaman. All his useful strings are safe except for his overhead against every character barring Superman. So I guess I'm going to have to start using him.

The only thing about Aqua that is truly dumb is his trident poke move, if there was a way to punish it at least with a FEW characters, he wouldn't be so hard to beat. But as of now, solid Aquaman play is pretty much all safe chip pressure.

You guys just can't generalize though. Only certain characters can punish him and those are the ones who probably needs to do more in the matchup to stay on him *minus Flash and Raven, I feel those are going to become bad matches for our friend Aquaman*.

EGP Wonder_Chef

The Flash cannot punish a blocked trident rush with his uppercut if Aquaman moves backwards during the trident... you can even make his reversal whiff entirely.

I can upload a video to demonstrate if anyone wants. You go something like back 1, 2, trident rush (2 hits) then backdash during the animation.
it's still punishing it for me

also if the last hits of the trident stab miss you can punish with something a lot bigger, or at the very least Lightning Charge

EGP Wonder_Chef

Here I made a new video, Shazam:

also the process of punishing Trident Rush is really weird, so I created a 2nd video:

I'll update the OP with these videos.

Also who stickied this? lol

Raynex

Intelligence + Speed + Power
If you block [MB] trident stabs and the Aquaman backsteps so that the last few hits miss, every character in the game can jump forwards for a full jump in combo. : /